• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Ibuki

Banned
Nippon-yasan is good for physical stuff. Even has MH4 for like 53.

I should have looked into this sooner. I had to burn some Amazon credit on something so I went for the mad overpriced copy from there. At least it will be here on friday. :)

panda21

fighting spider thing for the first time almost took the full 50 minutes D:

i used the kecha wacha hunting horn too, that laid waste to most of the previous monsters in less than 10 minutes

lscrock

Neo Member
Hi I'm new to the board.

Is this the right place to exchange friend codes and meet fellow hunters? I'm at HR 34 now and am a bit tired of relying on random strangers for 7star/guild quests..

Zornica

Banned
just leave your friendcode here or pm oichi

so I've been farming goa for hours but he didn't drop a single 玉... please don't tell me only the shag drops them -_-

lscrock

Neo Member

so I've been farming goa for hours but he didn't drop a single 玉... please don't tell me only the shag drops them -_-

Thanks. My firendcode is 1435-4514-8308.
All hunters welcome (preferably in European time zones :D)

Zenaku

Looks like it, looking at the wikis.

I haven't tested it yet, but it seems possible to give items to other players. I actually got a jewel from Shagal the other day, the second time we all fought him, and since I have no need for it (working on a second character on another save file, still finishing off the story quests) I'd be happy to try giving it to you.

Zornica

Banned
Looks like it, looking at the wikis.

I haven't tested it yet, but it seems possible to give items to other players. I actually got a jewel from Shagal the other day, the second time we all fought him, and since I have no need for it (working on a second character on another save file, still finishing off the story quests) I'd be happy to try giving it to you.

how does that work?
I am still online with a pretty good random group.
mostly beating the shit out of goa in ~5 min... I can't just leave like that :7

Zenaku

You just select an item in your pouch and select give (watasu), the 4th option. The digital manual even says you can give/receive items, or even Airu, to other players when you're connected to them.

Won't know until we try, but just tell me when you're free and I'll give it a go.

Zornica

Banned
You just select an item in your pouch and select give (watasu), the 4th option. The digital manual even says you can give/receive items, or even Airu, to other players when you're connected to them.

Won't know until we try, but just tell me when you're free and I'll give it a go.

free now, opening a room, though I am pretty sure you can't trade parts, just simple rar1-3 stuff like potions
(like in all the other mohun games...)

edit:
as I thought, rar 1-3... nothing above :7

panda21

is there an app for this or did i just imagine that? like something to do with the
cat island that is the beach village

i think i need a better weapon now i'm at 4* but there seems to be hardly anything i can craft. lots of things are weak to fire but i dont seem to be able to build a fire weapon.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
is there an app for this or did i just imagine that? like something to do with the

i think i need a better weapon now i'm at 4* but there seems to be hardly anything i can craft. lots of things are weak to fire but i dont seem to be able to build a fire weapon.

What I built to advance was Nerusukyura's (The spider) Staff, which has poison. And then Goa's Staff (which has dragon).

panda21

What I built to advance was Nerusukyura's (The spider) Staff, which has poison. And then Goa's Staff (which has dragon).

ooo theres a goa staff? awesome

I'm not keen on fighting the spider again until I have a fire weapon because last time took FOREVER. maybe I can make one from yian kut ku or the playing dead asshole (I think he shoots fire?)

lscrock

Neo Member

The fire sword and shield is quite easy to craft. It's upgraded from the poison sword and shield.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener
ooo theres a goa staff? awesome

I'm not keen on fighting the spider again until I have a fire weapon because last time took FOREVER. maybe I can make one from yian kut ku or the playing dead asshole (I think he shoots fire?)

Gypceros is Poison. Your best bet would be Kut Ku for fire weaponry.

Zornica

Banned
I got some time left for a few high rank quests if anyone is interested.

if possible, I'd want to try the zinogre/tigrex arena battle....
but this will take at least 3 or 4 people.

Zenaku

My game just crashed on me. =[

Saved it, then opened up the menu to check what guild quests I had; it froze, had a little graphic error on the right side of the top screen, and closed the game down. I haven't started it back up yet, as I wanted to check my activity log (only 97 hours away from 3000 hours of usage =o) and the eShop. Hopefully it was just a glitch...

Shurayuki

OK that wasn't what I expected.
Finally took down the Big Kahuna to get to HR8, and what do you know, instantly get propelled up to HR54. Uhm thank you game? Thanks for the hunts guys!

Only stupid thing is that I can't seem to find a good time to cut its tail, which I need for my sweet explosion staff :(

My game just crashed on me. =[

Saved it, then opened up the menu to check what guild quests I had; it froze, had a little graphic error on the right side of the top screen, and closed the game down. I haven't started it back up yet, as I wanted to check my activity log (only 97 hours away from 3000 hours of usage =o) and the eShop. Hopefully it was just a glitch...

Ah that sucks, you had the DL version too right? My game crashed once too, think that was because I never shut it down though, only put it into sleep mode. Probably something got jumbled between the reads (sd card, ram, whatever) there.

Zenaku

Ah that sucks, you had the DL version too right? My game crashed once too, think that was because I never shut it down though, only put it into sleep mode. Probably something got jumbled between the reads (sd card, ram, whatever) there.

Yes, that's just what I do (never turn my 3DS off unless I need to save battery with no way of charging it). I'll probably turn it off completely and take out the SD, make sure there's no dust in there or anything. Might have a quick play of L+ first though, been meaning to switch it on to collect the weeks pocket money.

Nice also to see MH4 in 3rd place in the all-time sales charts. It's passed SMB NES, and is only behind the B2W2 Pokemon AR Searcher (I'm getting the number 500k out of the back of my mind somewhere?) and Animal Crossing. The game is also first place in the ratings, beating Denpa Men 3, Etrian Odyssey Untold, and everything else.

Shurayuki

Yes, that's just what I do (never turn my 3DS off unless I need to save battery with no way of charging it). I'll probably turn it off completely and take out the SD, make sure there's no dust in there or anything. Might have a quick play of L+ first though, been meaning to switch it on to collect the weeks pocket money.

Yeah after a quick "did you try turning it off and on again" everything worked as before for me, not worried in the slightest. The takeaway should be to at least close the game once in a while, but I'm not doing that either haha. 's gonna be okay, I Believe!

Ah don't make me feel bad for ignoring Rinko for like a year or so :( Last thing I did was hang out with her on her birthday last year I think >_<

Zenaku

Yeah after a quick "did you try turning it off and on again" everything worked as before for me, not worried in the slightest. The takeaway should be to at least close the game once in a while, but I'm not doing that either haha. 's gonna be okay, I Believe!

Ah don't make me feel bad for ignoring Rinko for like a year or so :( Last thing I did was hang out with her on her birthday last year I think >_<

Hopefully it'll be fine, yeah. I'd hate to have it freeze up in a quest, since I probably won't turn it off again for a while.

Don't feel bad for ignoring Rinko; I missed her birthday entirely!

I had nothing else to play a few months ago, so I got back into it, then NLP+ was announced, so I figured I'll just play it every now and then in preparation. The game requires a little too much work to complete the gallery though; I doubt I'll ever manage it =[

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I tried to do the HR7 urgent quest Dalah Amadulla by myself but failed after 30 minutes... he has that damn beam attack that can one shot me :(

So I hopped online and found a room with one person doing it and I helped that guy take it out and get his HR cap unlocked, so I was hoping he'd return the favor... and then he left the room. Shit man. :(

Anura

I tried to do the HR7 urgent quest Dalah Amadulla by myself but failed after 30 minutes... he has that damn beam attack that can one shot me :(

So I hopped online and found a room with one person doing it and I helped that guy take it out and get his HR cap unlocked, so I was hoping he'd return the favor... and then he left the room. Shit man. :(

I can do the urgent with you if we can do some kushala after! I did mine solo

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I can do the urgent with you if we can do some kushala after! I did mine solo

Sure, that guy is def not a solo fight. I'm at work right now though so I can get on in 12 hours (it's 9am now), is that cool?

Zornica

Banned
am I just getting really unlucky here? I killed like 30 goa and not a single gem. killed 1 shag, got his gem (which I can't use...).

I'm starting to believe he doesn't drop his own gem.

Fistwell

am I just getting really unlucky here? I killed like 30 goa and not a single gem. killed 1 shag, got his gem (which I can't use...).

I'm starting to believe he doesn't drop his own gem.
I dont think I even got a single gem, except for maybe one sky jewel something from stig zin, and like a 1/2 dozen of the generic wyvern stone or whatever. None of which I need for anything I want.
Meanwhile, I need a ian ruby for her HBG, could use some shag gems as well, and need a los jewel for the fire LS. But yeah, I aint getting none of those.

You up for some farming this weekend?

Kysen

Why cant urgent quests be counted as complete when you aren't the host. Sucks to chain run the quest for others and still be the only one who doesn't rank up even though you have the quest.

I badly need better gear after hitting hr4, even thinking about starting a quest without the food buffs puts me in one shot /combo death territory. I saw people getting carted by basic attacks when the monster is enraged.

Zornica

Banned
He does according to the info on the wiki: http://mh4g.com/book/goamagara.php

Says that it can be carved from his tail or it's dropped as a shiny when you break its horns.

thanks, even though it doesn't help all that much.
just had an awesome random party for 3 hours. took like 5 mins to kill goa. we took down at least 20 of them... dozens of tails and shinies, no gem -_-

at least I got like 150 scales now... T_T

Fistwell

Why cant urgent quests be counted as complete when you aren't the host. Sucks to chain run the quest for others and still be the only one who doesn't rank up even though you have the quest.

I badly need better gear after hitting hr4, even thinking about starting a quest without the food buffs puts me in one shot /combo death territory. I saw people getting carted by basic attacks when the monster is enraged.
Yeah high rank is a big step up. But you can get by with some HR rheno or G Jaggi armor pieces to get started.

So are you able to play now? I can't seem to get to sleep so we might as well do your urgent
Aint it like 6AM ET? you guys are crazy! =D

Zornica

Banned
How's the general consensus so far?

joy on one side, tears on the other

edit:
I'm not sure if I like it more or less than 3gu. there are certain qualities about it that I really like, mostly mechanical.
however... I liked the monster lineup of 3gu more. the later ones in 4 are pretty nifty but a few of the early ones fell kinda shitty.

Fistwell

however... I liked the monster lineup of 3gu more. the later ones in 4 are pretty nifty but a few of the early ones fell kinda shitty.
Yeah I dont know... I'm not as far along as you, but I kind of agree. Lemur and beetle/frog were pretty boring. Really like the magaras though.

I'm kind of ambivalent on the extent of content recycling as well. Lots of content is nice, but a lot of monsters, weapons and armor sets were copy pasted with seemingly very little adjustments if any.

Regardless, the game still is loads of fun.

Zornica

Banned
Yeah I dont know... I'm not as far along as you, but I kind of agree. Lemur and beetle/frog were pretty boring. Really like the magaras though.

I'm kind of ambivalent on the extent of content recycling as well. Lots of content is nice, but a lot of monsters, weapons and armor sets were copy pasted with seemingly very little adjustments if any.

Regardless, the game still is loads of fun.

My first (and only) monster Hunter game was tri (and 3gu), so mostly everything feels "new" to me... new but shitty. I don't even know which ones are from the psp games. I guess probably the ones that feel "dated" (and shitty)?

edit: just checked the wiki, seems like I was right. Every single one of those I hate are from either Mh1 or 2. Though the ones from mh2 are less shitty

Top Bottom