• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
damn I still need to add all the new folks. sorry bout those who sent a pm, got called away for work so was out of town for a week. will add you in later tonight!

Parakeetman

20 zinogre later and still no 逆鱗, why's the drop rate so bad (ヽ´ω`)

Because dat fucking gekirin. Its the one item that every veteran mh player knows and hates.

Just be happy its not MHF(rontier not Freedom) drop rates. Since I think it was 1-2% lol

*Edit F for Frontier not Freedom.

Parakeetman

Oh I've been there ( ・´ー・`)

Gems have always been more my bane but this time around I have mountains of them while this gekirin won't drop.

I used to hate the monoblos heart. That shit NEVER dropped for me. All my friends had multiple but I never got a single fucking one. D: EVER.

So I gave up on that armor set and just went to find something else instead. I miss that monster since was so much cooler of an armor set than diablos.

lscrock

Neo Member
Has anyone made a site like this yet for MH4?

http://game-cap.com/mh3g/data/makelist1.html

Yearning for that endgame 匠、切れ味、回避性能+1 set

Also is there an established method to farm high rarity charms yet (´・ω`・)?
I'm quite sure you need a 斬れ味+5 charm for that combination.

However in end game it might be easier to have both 真打 & 切れ味, where 真打 = 匠 and attack up combined.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Tried an infected zinogre fight and got it first run from the rewards.

I'm quite sure you need a 斬れ味+5 charm for that combination.

However in end game it might be easier to have both 真打 & 切れ味, where 真打 = 匠 and attack up combined.
Hm, yeah that would be ideal, but probably a lot more work than it's worth. Had to charm snipe for 2 days in 3u to get a charm that gave me a similar setup. Maybe I will get lucky with alchemy (´・ω・`)

Garou

20 zinogre later and still no 逆鱗, why's the drop rate so bad (ヽ´ω`)

Force it! Bring shock trap & material and go straight for the tail with a great sword.
Trap --> Attack --> build trap and repeat. Once the tail is off, carve. If it drops beat it or cart, if not just retire and repeat.
In MH3G there was an event-armor (pirate-set) that gave an additional carve on everything, with that you would get that thing in less than 30 minutes.

panda21

is there an elemental damage that goa magara does? Like in the list of armor strengths where it has fire,water,?,ice,? is one of them whatever goa does?

Zornica

Banned
Hm, yeah that would be ideal, but probably a lot more work than it's worth. Had to charm snipe for 2 days in 3u to get a charm that gave me a similar setup. Maybe I will get lucky with alchemy (´・ω・`)

how does alchemy even work? just put in 3 charms I don't want and get a new one? or should I actually put in good charms?
should I pick the last option with random outcome?
or the 3rd?
or something else?
sooo confused...

lscrock

Neo Member
how does alchemy even work? just put in 3 charms I don't want and get a new one? or should I actually put in good charms?
or the 3rd?
or something else?
sooo confused...

just put in 3 charms I don't want and get a new one?
First part is correct, you put in 3 charms you don't want. However, you do get more than 1 new charm after alchemy. Sometimes I put in 3 and get 6 new charms.

should I actually put in good charms?
There are 4 categories of charms: Rare 8-9, 5-7, 3-4, 1-2. They come from 歪んだお守り, 古びたお守り, 光るお守り, なぞのお守り respectively.
If you use 3 rare 7 charms for alchemy, it will never give you rare 8-9 charms, but only the ones equal or below class. Unless you are really impatient, don't waste your time mining 古びたお守り, but just play guild quests with level 80+ to get rare 8 charms from rewards, then use alchemy when you get 3 of these.
Just to be clear, I tried using two rare 8 charms + one rare 7 charms for alchemy, and it did give me a rare 9 charm, so it is differentiated by the class of the charm.

Yes, the one that says 天運 is known to give the best charms.

Tips for best results at alchemy:
1. Save at the house at the sky mountain village.
2. Give 3 (or 6/9) rare 8-9 charms you don't want, choose 天運 alchemy.
3. Take the 1 star Great Potion quest in the village, finish within 5 seconds.
4. DO NOT SAVE when you finish the mission.
5. If you gave 6 (or 9) charms for alchemy, repeat steps 3 and 4 once (twice) more.
6. Check out the charms after alchemy. If you don't see anything good, restart the game WITHOUT SAVING (once I sold everything but accidentally saved...)

Fistwell

Sounds interesting. Think I'm gonna have to compile a small reference list of skill names and translations though. Squinting and trying to decipher the tiny hieroglyphics look-alikes on the 3DS, then painfully matching them to something on an online page with (slightly) different fonts (which only adds to the confusion) got old like 2 weeks ago.

Anura

Sounds interesting. Think I'm gonna have to compile a small reference list of skill names and translations though. Squinting and trying to decipher the tiny hieroglyphics look-alikes on the 3DS, then painfully matching them to something on an online page with (slightly) different fonts (which only adds to the confusion) got old like 2 weeks ago.

Yeah I eventually started to recognize common and important skills like evade +/dist, attack, critical eye, element attack, guard +, stinger, destroyer, handicraft, etc etc

komaruR

Thanks for the hunts everyone

Also a tip about carving/gathering, komaru. Crouching before you start cancels the standing animation and reduces the time by a good amount. Can get all the carves on Dara Amadyura by doing so ( ・ ー・ )
thanks for helping me hr up'ing the last stretch.
I know about it, just didnt know wheres the location. Even if I crouch il be missing that last carve :S

Are those plates? If so he has them in both this and P3rd.
Yup took me a while. I recommand hunting the low rank one. I got it from body carves

Shurayuki

Finally got around to at least adding the ones who have their FC in the OP. If you haven't already, add me back :p Shurayuki: 4081-6450-5195 - LoVendoR

If you play a lot of online multiplayer chances are you have some Veggie Elder tickets to exchange for stupid drops like Gekirin 逆鱗 (and even tamas but personally I don't have a gold ticket yet)
Silver ones ( 銀の山菜組引換券 ) get you the gekirin. They're the white colored tickets.

Here's the chart, a cursory glance tells me there should be Rathalos, Rathian, Goa and Zinogre gekirins there.

That's a good tip about carving, I guess it doesn't screw around with carving skills? (Not that it matters, better to get all the carves like that, you probably can't get additional carves off anyways). Crouched gathering seems bugged and makes gathering skills not apply from what I have read.

la_briola

la_briola

Wow. We played for like 3 hours or something. I got to HR22... (ಠ_ಠ)
Had a great time with Fest, perorist and Anura! \(^.^)/

I really need better armor though. I got one shotted in the end. Low rank rare 3 gear doesn't cut it anymore. :lol

Need to search for a good set with guard+2 and guard up.

Shurayuki

Well since you guys were full I played a bunch with some JPN guys.

Upgraded my 'slosion rod I got yesterday fully and then got myself a literally shiny new golden armor (rathalos rare species). Some crazy 7 minute hunts in there (and that was us unwillingly killing it even though we usually capture). And while we're (not) talking about tamas/jewels, got 2 female firedrake jewels from the first two hunts. Ended up with ~6 while collecting the other stuff. Droprates seem kinda ok in this game, though of course when you really want something it doesn't drop (still need a Bracchi jewel and zino gekirin).
Now I need some -don't laugh- Gerios to gem evasion distance or some egg delivery to max out Lucky. <- Indefinitely postponed.
It's crazy how expensive the rod was, easily upwards of 200k z, I'm so poor :( Should start using points for food, they're useless anyways, but always end up button mashing the first option.

Well at least some endgame armor, 405 def unupgraded. Will use this for Fire/Dragon enemies and continue with the angel armor for everything else <3
Also I don't want to see golden Rath or giant snakes ever again x.x

Wehrwolf

Do any of the special download quests give unique lance or armor ingredients?

Seeing which ones are worth soloing, the stuff like the Inu Yasha one that are for a different weapon I'll just put off until I start going online more.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
GGs everyone

Good hunts everyone! I want to just point out that me and fest didn't kart to that rajang.
(&#12541;´&#969;`) got hit with a divebomb + beam combo. Really need to make some more monster-specific weapons in general. Brachy gunlance is my only real all-purpose weapon atm. Think I could've fared much better with some duals (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`)

la_briola

GGs everyone

(&#12541;´&#969;`) got hit with a divebomb + beam combo. Really need to make some more monster-specific weapons in general. Brachy gunlance is my only real all-purpose weapon atm. Think I could've fared much better with some duals (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`)

Is slime still overpowered like in mh3u?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think it takes more hits for the explosion to proc now. Seems relatively balanced for solo play, haven't been in a group with multiple users yet though so I'm not sure.

If we're talking about broken I think the bugstaff/jumping as a whole is a bit OP

Shurayuki

I think it takes more hits for the explosion to proc now. Seems relatively balanced for solo play, haven't been in a group with multiple users yet though so I'm not sure.

If we're talking about broken I think the bugstaff/jumping as a whole is a bit OP

Now now, a lot of weapons have some jumping mechanic ;P
I feel the staff itself is actually nicely balanced on its own, where things get a bit overly effective is in party play. I always play staff so I can't comment too much on how it would be with not at least 1 in the group, but getting around 3 beatdowns per fight feels like shaving off quite a bit of time off every mission.

Explosions really don't feel as powerful as before, but just from the numbers it looks like they should occur as often as before. I used my 'splosion staff on gold rathian and for a time one other guy used the same, but it was a bit hard to tell how often it procced and if it really helped. The Goa or any other high dragon damage weapons feel a bit more powerful atm imho.
Ranged weapons with explosion would be where I'd see it as most effective, and really a group will probably kill the fastest with a Staff and a Ranged in the mix, maybe a Hammer too (the combos we pulled off with Anura using Hammer to KO after a staff beatdown felt strong).

Anura

Now now, a lot of weapons have some jumping mechanic ;P
I feel the staff itself is actually nicely balanced on its own, where things get a bit overly effective is in party play. I always play staff so I can't comment too much on how it would be with not at least 1 in the group, but getting around 3 beatdowns per fight feels like shaving off quite a bit of time off every mission.

Explosions really don't feel as powerful as before, but just from the numbers it looks like they should occur as often as before. I used my 'splosion staff on gold rathian and for a time one other guy used the same, but it was a bit hard to tell how often it procced and if it really helped. The Goa or any other high dragon damage weapons feel a bit more powerful atm imho.
Ranged weapons with explosion would be where I'd see it as most effective, and really a group will probably kill the fastest with a Staff and a Ranged in the mix, maybe a Hammer too (the combos we pulled off with Anura using Hammer to KO after a staff beatdown felt strong).

Yeah the jumping is really helpful with to a hammer user. Also I feel the staff takes longer to get the jump mini-game than other weapons.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the jumping is really helpful with to a hammer user. Also I feel the staff takes longer to get the jump mini-game than other weapons.
I think the mounting minigame may be damage based since I've gotten single-hit activations with high-rank weapons on low-rank and village quests where it usually takes at least 2 hits. It might feel like it takes longer with the bug staff because it's relative attack power is lower, idk.

And yeah by OP I meant compared to previous games jumping in general gives you some pretty high-impact staggers and long, easy knockdowns. The bugstaff just has that extra bonus of being able to vault anywhere as long as you have an opening, making those knockdowns much more frequent.

Shurayuki

For the first riding-attack it should be the same, 2 jump attacks and 2 vault attacks. But after that, yeah, it does feel like jumping attacks fill up the riding attack meter -if you want to call it that- faster. I can't comment on the SnS and lance jump attacks.
Didn't Capcom say it is based on altitude? Like, jumping from higher above can get you an instant riding attack.

The usefulness of the staff feels like it varies a lot with the terrain and monster speed/attack pattern. If you can get in a lot of vault attacks where it's hard to do jump attacks, thats very useful. If the monster is a bit on the slow side or has long openings between attacks, the staff can provide some dps, because it's not a 'nuke' weapon, the damage is a bit more dependent on getting many hits in.
There are many monsters where something other than a staff is stronger by itself. In a party the beatdowns still make you somewhat useful, but eh, it seems at least not totally game breaking.

Basically what Capcom have added through jumping is ~3 free traps per fight (esp. interesting for the elder dragons), giving you the effects of a run advanced players would usually do (trap/sleep cheese) without the resource drain that getting mats and money for traps brings.
The staff starts out very strong but the other weapons feel like they have a steeper power-curve through raw damage improvement on the weapons and armor to flesh out the playstyle (there aren't really any useful armor skills for staff).

When fighting small and/or fast monsters like the bird wyverns or even Tigarex, it's really hard to hit them, and even if you do, they get out of reach before you can get any real damage in. And landing vault attacks is really hard because of their size/speed. Also Khezu is an ass, always electrifies itself when I vault onto it.

Top Bottom