• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

lscrock

Neo Member
For the first riding-attack it should be the same, 2 jump attacks and 2 vault attacks. But after that, yeah, it does feel like jumping attacks fill up the riding attack meter -if you want to call it that- faster. I can't comment on the SnS and lance jump attacks.
Didn't Capcom say it is based on altitude? Like, jumping from higher above can get you an instant riding attack.

The usefulness of the staff feels like it varies a lot with the terrain and monster speed/attack pattern. If you can get in a lot of vault attacks where it's hard to do jump attacks, thats very useful. If the monster is a bit on the slow side or has long openings between attacks, the staff can provide some dps, because it's not a 'nuke' weapon, the damage is a bit more dependent on getting many hits in.
There are many monsters where something other than a staff is stronger by itself. In a party the beatdowns still make you somewhat useful, but eh, it seems at least not totally game breaking.

Basically what Capcom have added through jumping is ~3 free traps per fight (esp. interesting for the elder dragons), giving you the effects of a run advanced players would usually do (trap/sleep cheese) without the resource drain that getting mats and money for traps brings.
The staff starts out very strong but the other weapons feel like they have a steeper power-curve through raw damage improvement on the weapons and armor to flesh out the playstyle (there aren't really any useful armor skills for staff).

When fighting small and/or fast monsters like the bird wyverns or even Tigarex, it's really hard to hit them, and even if you do, they get out of reach before you can get any real damage in. And landing vault attacks is really hard because of their size/speed. Also Khezu is an ass, always electrifies itself when I vault onto it.

After vaulting into the air, if you see danger/change your mind, press A.
Saved my life a few times.

Ken

How do I get more of those whetstone items for "appraising" armor and weapons? I've been doing a few expeditions, killed the listed monsters, and haven't gotten a single one.

Fistwell

How do I get more of those whetstone items for "appraising" armor and weapons? I've been doing a few expeditions, killed the listed monsters, and haven't gotten a single one.
Rare drop from mining points (got a few) and "barrels" gather points (so I've heard) on expeditions. Or, as a quest reward for every guild quest you do.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm trying to finish my (get a wii you) moran set. What's the difference between the HR8 and the HR4 ones? Is the former stronger? Does it give a better chance for gems? (need one more gem...)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I'm on now if anyone wants to play. Username is 北浜アンディ for those who haven't played with me before

Fistwell

I'm on now if anyone wants to play. Username is 北浜アンディ for those who haven't played with me before
I'll finish something and join in 10-15mins, if you have room then.

Edit: cant seem to join. Guess you're full. Oh well, some other time.

chadi

Can I join? Here's my FC: 2879 0832 2007. Already added you before. :)

Edit: Oh, party's full already? Guess I was too late. :p But if anyone else wants to take turns picking quests, I'm game

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
ah just playing with random people right now. I'll be free in about 25 min, I gotta go out to buy something and come back. Create a room with a pass and I'll join when I'm back

Fistwell

Alright, opened a room, pass is: 4444. I'll go make some steaks while I'm alone.

What's the difference between the HR8 and the HR4 ones? Is the former stronger? Does it give a better chance for gems? (need one more gem...)
To answer my own question, the HR8 one is largely more agressive and active. Has a little more HP as well (like 20mins vs 10 to 15mins per). Rewards didnt seem to change much.

Rajang crached my 3DS. -_-'

I dont see you guys anymore, did everyone crash? I'll open another room, same pass.

chadi

Alright, opened a room, pass is: 4444. I'll go make some steaks while I'm alone.

To answer my own question, the HR8 one is largely more agressive and active. Has a little more HP as well (like 20mins vs 10 to 15mins per). Rewards didnt seem to change much.

Rajang crached my 3DS. -_-'

I dont see you guys anymore, did everyone crash? I'll open another room, same pass.

Got a BSOD on mine. Lol. Joined up again. Will wait for you guys.

Btw I believe I've already cleared HR7 Rajang, Teo, Kushala and Akantor. Not sure what I'm missing to unlock the urgent quest. Could it be Mohran?

Fistwell

Chadi, come back bro! We just finished as you left! Oh wait, you never left, lol! My eyes!!! >_<

And yeah, I think you need morhan.

JoeFenix

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. How is the challenge level in the game compared to other Monster Hunter games?

MH3 was a decent challenge but Ultimate felt really weak in terms of difficulty, very toned down. Is the high rank stuff super challenging?

la_briola

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. How is the challenge level in the game compared to other Monster Hunter games?

MH3 was a decent challenge but Ultimate felt really weak in terms of difficulty, very toned down. Is the high rank stuff super challenging?
I would say yes, but I have <180 armor... :lol

Fistwell

Good hunts!
Questions: Zinogre Plate, where is the droprate better LR or HR? Jho goo, cap or kill, what's better?
Better chance with high rank, might be more time effective to do low rank however. Or you can do the tail-cut-reset thing on high rank (10% drop). See percents here.

For jho saliva, not sure, they dont even mention it here. I do get some regularly though, cap or kill. Been shorter on scales though.

la_briola

Better chance with high rank, might be more time effective to do low rank however. Or you can do the tail-cut-reset thing on high rank (10% drop). See percents here.

For jho saliva, not sure, they dont even mention it here. I do get some regularly though, cap or kill. Been shorter on scales though.

Thanks! Anyone (you?) wanna play?

chadi

If anyone wants to take turns on selecting quests, hit me up now (before I fall asleep). XD

Here's my FC: 2879 0832 2007

Btw, anyone know a good online chat service that's free and does not require registration? The in-game chat function is kind of a pain. ^^;

la_briola

If anyone wants to take turns on selecting quests, hit me up now (before I fall asleep). XD

Btw, anyone know a good online chat service that's free and does not require registration? The in-game chat function is kind of a pain. ^^;
Open a room. Regarding chat: IRC.

CommonWriter

UncommonlyGoodListener

I added both you and briola!

Meesh

For anyone who's interested, cuz I don't know where else to post this, I've got a bunch of Club Nintendo Japan points to give away. 2 3DS and 2 games.(Mon Hun) Anyone want? :)

Fistwell

Good hunts Anura. Was getting tired and sloppy, sorry I sucked so much. Couldn't cut a tail if my life depended on it, apparently.

Anura

Good hunts Anura. Was getting tired and sloppy, sorry I sucked so much. Couldn't cut a tail if my life depended on it, apparently.

Heh, don't worry it was fun. I got all my parts to upgrade my SnS so thanks for that. Now I need gold Ian parts, good thing I already got that ruby lol.

Top Bottom