• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Fistwell

how do I make the armor pieces I get from the expedition maps useable?
It's an NPC vendor that does it for you, he's in the
underground volcano looking
village, the one with people with crazy staches. He's the vendor in the bottom right of the map, it's gonna look like a pair of dudes working an anvil. He's not available right away, you need to do a cple of missions before using him.

To make each piece of gear useable, you need some earth crystals and a number of some whetstone-looking item (I think it's 3 usually). They start you up with enough of that item to treat one piece of gear, then you have to get your own, from expeditions as well (it took me forever to get more).

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Afternoon gents. I have the fortune to be residing in the Japans for the foreseeable future - Mon Hun time!

Is there anything I need to be wary of (like bs charm tables for 3Ultimate) or can I just dive right in when my 3ds gets here in a couple of days?

Ken

village, the one with people with crazy staches. He's the vendor in the bottom right of the map, it's gonna look like a pair of dudes working an anvil. He's not available right away, you need to do a cple of missions before using him.

To make each piece of gear useable, you need some earth crystals and a number of some whetstone-looking item (I think it's 3 usually). They start you up with enough of that item to treat one piece of gear, then you have to get your own, from expeditions as well (it took me forever to get more).

Hm will he be in the third area, the beach, because that's where I'm at ATM.

Are they worth farming earth crystals for? They have a ton of defense over my G Jaggi set but I have no clue what the skill points they have or if they even have any.

Fistwell

Are they worth farming earth crystals for? They have a ton of defense over my G Jaggi set but I have no clue what the skill points they have or if they even have any.
He's in the
previous
village. Whether it's worth it.... depends on what you found. Early on I had a cple of pieces of armor that were twice as much def as whatever else I had. It's helped me then, but I haven't bothered since.

Ken

He's in the
previous
village. Whether it's worth it.... depends on what you found. Early on I had a cple of pieces of armor that were twice as much def as whatever else I had. It's helped me then, but I haven't bothered since.

Ah okay, thanks. Guess I'll make a trip back and maybe convert a piece.

Anura

Nope volcano only but you should be able to revisit places using the bottom screen

Meesh

Hey all, would someone be able to tell me how I get materials to craft weps and armors for the Felynes? Is there a site that's able to help the English speaking folk?

Zornica

Banned
Hey all, would someone be able to tell me how I get materials to craft weps and armors for the Felynes? Is there a site that's able to help the English speaking folk?

have you reached the island yet and did the "save the felynes from papa conga" quest?
If you did, there is a signpost on the small felyne island where you can send them on an adventure. if you win, you'll receive parts.

Meesh

have you reached the island yet and did the "save the felynes from papa conga" quest?
If you did, there is a signpost on the small felyne island where you can send them on an adventure. if you win, you'll receive parts.
Thanks so much, will do. :)

Fistwell

Hey, so, SP quests are starting to get more interesting in 6*. Got cocky in my brand spanking new jho set + epitaph (for that full-on MH-Tri look), but that
HR goa magara
actually made me work for it.

But we already know they're going to take out Kushala or Tigrex because blargh. I wish they'd keep them all and just get rid of the smaller lames.
I dont get that. Kush and tigrex are, like, sony's pets outside japan, what?

Peru

G rank doesn't really matter when the challenge and amount is there like it is in this game. I mean it has 71 monsters to MH3U's 73. Also it's not like MH3 wasn't localized so there's no reason not to localize this. No need to announce it yet - still got things to do in MH3G, put it out next spring or something.

panda21

oh man the
snake monster thing is a massive asshole. how are you even supposed to get out when it en-circumnavigates you?

trying to decide what weapons is best.. is insect stick essential for the pole vault?

Anura

oh man the
snake monster thing is a massive asshole. how are you even supposed to get out when it en-circumnavigates you?

trying to decide what weapons is best.. is insect stick essential for the pole vault?

He has an opening by his head but he can para-bite you if you're not careful or you could just try to panic dive over his tail

Sarcasm

oh man the

I watched a stranger do it very easily on his first run. It's pretty obvious when it starts it and you have a successful window to run out near the
tail

Zornica

Banned
so I've never played any weapons that use shields before, but after the rajang encounter I thought I should give it a try.
Probably the charge axe, it seems like an interesting heavy alternative to the plain old sword&shield.

any recommended skills?
is ガード性能 or ガード強化 more important for shielding?
where is the difference? I guess one allows you to block heavier hits and the other? maybe lessens the blow to your stamina or something?

lscrock

Neo Member

Don't worry about the whetstone-looking items. You are guaranteed to receive one whenever you finish a guild quest.

lscrock

Neo Member
so I've never played any weapons that use shields before, but after the rajang encounter I thought I should give it a try.
Probably the charge axe, it seems like an interesting heavy alternative to the plain old sword&shield.

any recommended skills?
where is the difference? I guess one allows you to block heavier hits and the other? maybe lessens the blow to your stamina or something?

ガード強化 is more important, it enables you to guard attacks that are unblockable otherwise.
ガード性能 decreases your knockback and/or stamina decrease when you block hits. Useful to have as it saves time and gives you more chances to attack.

Anura

any recommended skills?

Heh the rajang encounter lol

also let me just say shielding is often a last ditch move if I could get away from those attacks I would but the lance isn't very mobile

Edit:
ガード強化 is more important, it enables you to guard attacks that are unblockable otherwise.
ガード性能 decreases your knockback and/or stamina decrease when you block hits. Useful to have as it saves time and gives you more chances to attack.

This isn't true reducing knock back is the better one most unblock-able attacks are slow and easy to dodge but receiving heavy knock back is very common and puts you in a bad position with some very low stamina.

As I said before guarding is a last ditch move unless you're lancing with guard up skills so often times skills invested in your shield are a waste

Zornica

Banned
Heh the rajang encounter lol

also let me just say shielding is often a last ditch move if I could get away from those attacks I would but the lance isn't very mobile

that's why I won't play lance ;)
It's either sword&shield, charge axe or great sword... sword&shield is the most mobile, but it relies to heavily on many hits... I'd rather hit less but harder.gotta try charge axe and great sword, but from what I rember from tri, great sword wasn't that mobile either.

Anura

that's why I won't play lance ;)
It's either sword&shield, charge axe or great sword... sword&shield is the most mobile, but it relies to heavily on many hits... I'd rather hit less but harder.gotta try charge axe and great sword, but from what I rember from tri, great sword wasn't that mobile either.

GS actually loves to sheath and unsheathed so you're usually pretty mobile and don't need to even use the shield (it's shield is also pretty bad as it destroys your sharpness)

SnS is pretty fun but doesn't do much damage and I can't comment on the axe because I haven't played around with it much

lscrock

Neo Member
Cool, which quest is that?

Or you could just let him feast on your cats and gun him from a safe distance.
"Guild quests" = ギルドクエスト is a new concept in MH4.
2 ways to get guild quests.

1. After defeating/capturing a monster in expeditions, there's a probability of getting a guild quest. That's how I got my
Kirin
guild quest.
2. You can receive guild quests from a friend.

Alternatively, you can just tag along on guild quests online whenever someone else signs one up. Monsters unique to expedition/guild quests include
Velociprey, Basarios, Pink Basarios, Yian Kut-ku, Blue Yian Kut-ku, Yian Garuga, Kirin, Ice Kirin

There are 3 different levels of guild quests, depending on the level of the monster
Level 1-30: Equivalent to lower rank monsters.
Level 31-75: Equivalent to upper rank monsters. You need to be HR8+ to take the quest.
Level 76-99: (I haven't tried these quests yet) Probably equivalent to G rank monsters. Level 90+ monsters can easily one shot hunters with 450+ def.

Whenever you defeat a monster in a guild quest, the quest gains 3 levels. However when receiving a guild quest from a friend it will be at its original level, not most recent level.
Some of the high level materials/armors/weapons are only obtainable in level 76+ quests, e.g. 金剛原珠 & rare 8 or 9 charms.

panda21

He has an opening by his head but he can para-bite you if you're not careful or you could just try to panic dive over his tail

i did it ok this time, the para bite is nasty. how do you panic dive? run and then press b?

my neko (means cat) seems to have disappeared, near the end of village 4*..

Fistwell

Oh ok, wasn't aware, thought you meant "guild quest" as in some hunting hall quest (as opposed to "village quest"). I'll look these guild quests up, unsure where in the GUI I'd select them from. Bottom screen around where expeditions are maybe?

my neko (means cat) seems to have disappeared
All according to keikaku (means plan).

Anura

i did it ok this time, the para bite is nasty. how do you panic dive? run and then press b?

my neko (means cat) seems to have disappeared, near the end of village 4*..

Yeah it's that superman dive you with your weapon away and a monster is in the zone it has a ton of I-frames but leaves you open

Edit: I actually just figured that out fest. It should surprisingly be just one of the main pause menu options but I was expecting it to be on the bottom as well

la_briola

Oh ok, wasn't aware, thought you meant "guild quest" as in some hunting hall quest (as opposed to "village quest"). I'll look these guild quests up, unsure where in the GUI I'd select them from. Bottom screen around where expeditions are maybe?

All according to keikaku (means plan).

I think the red or blue "icon" when you talk to the quest lady.

Fistwell

I actually just figured that out fest. It should surprisingly be just one of the main pause menu options but I was expecting it to be on the bottom as well
Oh, oh, I think I know just the one! It has a lot of gibberish with a list in the middle sorting things through levels, kinda like in rock's post! Cool, I need to try that stuff now!! =D

But, so, you need to be HR8 to take on HR guild quests... that kinda sucks... rly need to get out of this HR7 ghetto.

-details-
Happy hunting!
Sweet, thanks for the explanation. Are guild quests on randomly generated areas like expedition, or regular maps?

lscrock

Neo Member
Oh, oh, I think I know just the one! It has a lot of gibberish with a list in the middle sorting things through levels, kinda like in rock's post! Cool, I need to try that stuff now!! =D
Whenever you have get a new guild quest (from expedition/receiving from friend) it'll be placed under what I call the Guild Quest Reserve (the right tab, you can store 50 quests here). You'll have to put a tick in the box and then choose Register Guild Quest, it says something like クエスト登録.
This places your selected quest into your Registered Guild Quest List (the left tab) which you can now take on from the quest lady.

Happy hunting!

Shurayuki

Barely managed to beat that 6* village urgent quest with
Infected Zinogre, Super Sayan Rajang and Shagara Magara
on my 2nd try using my trusty Velocidrome set (lol). Btw after beating it, you'll be able to
get that sword stuck in a rock on that felyne island.
Kinda disappointed that it was a
sword and shield instead of a GS
though.!

You can pull out the
Hero Sword
at any point of time where you have 40 Airu actually.

when can I give my felyne skills? all I seem to be able to do right now is change his equipment.

So cat skills for your Leader cat:
The (5) cat skills only apply to the main cat. You gain these skills by putting (x) amount of cats with the trend in your team.

Fighter (ファイト): (2) attack-up flute (3) cat gets pierce boomerang (4) stronger attack-up flute (5) 会/critical up
Guard (ガード ): (2) defense-up flute (3) nothing (4) stronger defense-up flute (5) gain ability to guard against attacks you usually can't (there was an armor skill like that?!, prolly same)
Assist (アシスト ): (2) cat rarely sets a shock trap (3) cat indicates location and status of large monsters (like Autotracking armor skill) (4) cat lays trap more often, maximum number of uses increases (5) short rest/evacuation time
Restoration (回復): (2) heal spell (3) poison and odor heal spell (4) bigger heal spell (5) drops better item when evacuating
Bomber (ボマー): (2) puts a bomb on a trap set by the partner airu (3) makes cats attack with only bombs (4) uses large bombs when angry (5) uses Grank bombs when angry
Bundori (item snatching) ぶんどり: (2) cats get big boomerang and boomerang power up (3) cats attack only with boomerang (4) cats get targeted less by enemies (5) item snatching gets better
Treasure Hunting (宝探し): (2) cats harvest faster (3) cats stop attacking and only harvest (4) cats find harvesting spots more easily (5) 'special' harvesting stronger, can collect consecutively

http://www49.atwiki.jp/3dsmh4/pages/112.html

By 'team' I mean the 5 first page felynes that you can set to sub-otomo, rest or train.
There's also a handy table which Trend can be encountered on which map most easily at the link, could have used that earlier :/ Might fill up my team with all the guards I've been missing.

Updated the post a bit with more info and edited

And as an addendum, the Sub-Otomo has these effects too, only invoked when you go out with 2 Airu:

ネコ式突撃隊 - The airu will jump in a rocket and attack a monster similar to a climbing/mounting attack
ネコ式火竜車 - The airu will jump in a tank and attack until it's broken, shells run out etc
ネコ式応援楽団 - The airu will use a special flute to recover player and airu health, get's stronger with higher airu levels

Zenaku

But, so, you need to be HR8 to take on HR guild quests... that kinda sucks... rly need to get out of this HR7 ghetto.

Sweet, thanks for the explanation. Are guild quests on randomly generated areas like expedition, or regular maps?

Nope. You need to be at HR8+ from Lv76, but Lv31-75 only needs HR4.

Oh, and if any of you get a Lv66-75 Dosranpos quest with Tri Series armour, throw it my way. =]

lscrock

Neo Member
Nope. You need to be at HR8+ from Lv76, but Lv31-75 only needs HR4.

Oh, and if any of you get a Lv66-75 Dosranpos quest with Tri Series armour, throw it my way. =]

Hmm maybe it's a special case for my
dual kirin quest (kirin + ice kirin)
. They're still at lv 46 but you need to be HR8 to take it.

Shurayuki

Hmm maybe it's a special case for my
dual kirin quest (kirin + ice kirin)
. They're still at lv 46 but you need to be HR8 to take it.

Guild Quests go from Low Rank (HR1-3), to High Rank (HR 4-7) and Expert/Tatsujin (HR8+). I'd take a guess that the HR requirement changes with the danger rating, can't see from the wiki where your quest would fall so you may want to confirm that.

Mr. Fix

I dont get that. Kush and tigrex are, like, sony's pets outside japan, what?

I just want them all to co-exist in one game. Really, the only one I want now is Narga, and I'm still cheesed they took out Tiggy for Ultimate. Unfortunately they don't actually embrace DLC (charged, but bringing back oldies) for the series. Though I suppose that'd do more harm than good for 4G.

Meesh

I just want them all to co-exist in one game. Really, the only one I want now is Narga, and I'm still cheesed they took out Tiggy for Ultimate.Unfortunately they don't actually embrace DLC (charged, but bringing back oldies) for the series.Though I suppose that'd do more harm than good for 4G.
I feel the same way...I just keep telling myself they'll surprise us with a little something more on 3U.

Fistwell

Haahaahhaa rajang haahaaaaaaaa....

RRnhhqW.gif

Zenaku

So, been playing with my second (bow) character, and soloing everything, got to the HR4 urgent with the damn Rathian sub, and despite dying only once up until it started to drag its legs, I ended up dying twice trying to finish it off. I knew I should've taken a trap and some tranqs...

Ken

Do guild quests give special rewards? Was doing the level 6 velocidrome GQ and I'm not sure if it's worth repeating it over and over?

komaruR

2 ways to get guild quests.

1. After defeating/capturing a monster in expeditions, there's a probability of getting a guild quest. That's how I got my
Kirin
guild quest.
2. You can receive guild quests from a friend.

Alternatively, you can just tag along on guild quests online whenever someone else signs one up. Monsters unique to expedition/guild quests include
Velociprey, Basarios, Pink Basarios, Yian Kut-ku, Blue Yian Kut-ku, Yian Garuga, Kirin, Ice Kirin

There are 3 different levels of guild quests, depending on the level of the monster
Level 1-30: Equivalent to lower rank monsters.
Level 31-75: Equivalent to upper rank monsters. You need to be HR8+ to take the quest.
Level 76-99: (I haven't tried these quests yet) Probably equivalent to G rank monsters. Level 90+ monsters can easily one shot hunters with 450+ def.

Whenever you defeat a monster in a guild quest, the quest gains 3 levels. However when receiving a guild quest from a friend it will be at its original level, not most recent level.
Some of the high level materials/armors/weapons are only obtainable in level 76+ quests, e.g. 金剛原珠 & rare 8 or 9 charms.
Ppl should share their wealth n pass us some rare/unique guild quest, kirin, ygg, bas etc. You can do it online n not a street pass only thing. Same for airu if i can recall, gotta check. But usually I dont need airu, since I keep cycling until I get better 1s

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Do guild quests give special rewards? Was doing the level 6 velocidrome GQ and I'm not sure if it's worth repeating it over and over?

Doing that quest over and over won't give you great rewards, but if you happen to get a guild quest with a big end game boss (Shagal Magara, Kirin, etc.) then the rewards can be super good.

I finished a SM guild quest with some other people and managed to pick up a Gold Rathian sword/shield that had slightly worse raw damage but instead of fire had paralysis via awakening skill. :O

Top Bottom