• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

Cutting damage is more effective, though. And I don't know about this game but previously, cutting weapons stopped bouncing off Blos heads at lower levels of sharpness (although super pound never bounces). When fighting Diablos with a hammer my goal was to get 1 or 2 KOs then stay the hell away from the head because all it did was ruin your sharpness and waste time. Monoblos weak points are a little different but not THAT different.

As of right now if I'm lower than blue it bounces right off, which wouldn't be a problem if the Shell Intoner didn't have such a small blue segment.

The way this game seems to treat you like a guy no matter what bugs the heck out of me... First all the 'sir' and now some old guy said I was like a grandson to him.

Ugh, it annoys me to no end.

Whaaattt!?

The localization doesnt distinguish female characters?

Someone Dial 8-4 Play and call me surprised

How does one get to hunt Kirin again in SP after the 6* urgent? Do I need to keep doing expeditions until I get a guild quest or will it come around like the advanced quests?

exactly my thought. so far it seems super underwhelming. i'm going to give it a try later and let them duo an easy LR monster and see how often they attempt to steal.
if they are too lazy for my liking...

get-out-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-192.gif

it's not that i need the healing, it's just nice to have so i can keep hitting the monster.
and what do you mean with later on? i'm pretty much done with the caravan quests...

For the Record Bomb cats are the...... bomb

Like seriously I think they have the highest guaranteed damage ceiling. Especially when you have all five

Not recommended for Blademasters though... for obvious reasons

Also... Status attack cats.... Are awesome

Kinsei

Banned
The way this game seems to treat you like a guy no matter what bugs the heck out of me... First all the 'sir' and now some old guy said I was like a grandson to him.

Yeah, that is annoying.

How does one get to hunt Kirin again in SP after the 6* urgent? Do I need to keep doing expeditions until I get a guild quest or will it come around like the advanced quests?

Keep doing expeditions until you get a guild quest.

Do certain maps have specific types of Palicoes or is it just random?

Different maps have different chances for palicos. For example the frozen seaway has the highest chance of support cats, the primal forest has the highest chance of treasure cats, etc.

deoee

Holy crap, Tigrex on HR is hard with Jaggi S armor :eek:

I was blocking 3/4 of the time, was super cautios and still got carted 3 times and lost :(

Dreavus

Do the Thief palicos show up in high rank or something? I've never seen one, but have multiple members of the other classes.

EDIT: Just saw that chart, that explains it, then!

Maybe he can't tell under all your awesome armor? :) (I don't know)

This mildly annoyed me with the Ace Palico too. I named her after my cat, and the game doesn't really reference Ace's gender until the island where the other palico is "swooning" over how cool he is. Easy enough for me to pretend otherwise, so oh well.

Mupod

For the Record Bomb cats are the...... bomb

Like seriously I think they have the highest guaranteed damage ceiling. Especially when you have all five

Not recommended for Blademasters though... for obvious reasons

Also... Status attack cats.... Are awesome

I never thought about bomb cats but that does make sense as a gunner. I could use help getting breaks on tough parts. I'd like to at least try and figure out if stealing cats are worth it though.

I'm still in the mindset that the helpers are just there to distract the monster at best. I didn't even use them until late 3U when I grudgingly brought them around because I'd be passing up free carves otherwise. I've been trying to look into them more since I'm maining HBG this time and they don't really get in the way of that weapon. But so far the extent of that has been 'oh my god this cat armor is so cute I need to do more meownster hunter stuff'

Also it's funny when I enter my house and all my lazy ass thief cats (set to Train) suddenly jump up from their nap and pretend they were pumping iron the whole time.

deim0s

it's not that i need the healing, it's just nice to have so i can keep hitting the monster.
and what do you mean with later on? i'm pretty much done with the caravan quests...

I meant that you might not really need their healing/toxin horns at all and let them do other stuff for you.

Do certain maps have specific types of Palicoes or is it just random?

See this guide:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrzx3ugu3gret58/palico_guide.pdf?dl=0

Valus

I feel like they kept things as ambiguous as possible for that reason. Like, the ACE Commander and the Gunner chick both flirt with me it feels like. Not enough for it to be obvious, but enough so it can be read that way should you choose. Kind of lazy, but outside of a few instances (like being called a grandson) I feel like they did it on purpose.

When I started up FF14 again I was pleased to find that all the dialogue takes that into account and sometimes your race/class as well. I guess it comes down to whether they have the time/budget to go through the script again and make appropriate changes.

Thankfully, item sets have make it a lot easier to keep a full stack of inventory at all times. Just go to the box after every hunt, select a hunting item set (which automatically drops off carves too) and then fill in any holes at the shop. As new items became available, I kept updating my item set until it became a nice general-purpose collection of consumables.

Yeah, item sets really streamline the after-hunt routine.

Will monsters that are alike even attack each other? I know one of the quests I have available has two Khezus in it.

In Tri I remember Deviljho would specifically attack and kill other monsters.

It annoys me to no end when small monsters stick around and attack you when there's a big monster in the same zone (unless they are the small version of that species then it's fine). Makes no sense.

Kazerei

Banned
You were on that quest to save a city. It was either her or the entire town and caravan.

It wasn't actually attacking the city, we just needed Rathian materials to help build fortifications.

Monsters gotta live and eat too, those poor things :'(

Kinsei

Banned
It wasn't actually attacking the city, we just needed Rathian materials to help build fortifications.

Monsters gotta live and eat too, those poor things :'(

Fortifications to protect the city from an elder dragon. Yeah, it was either her or the city.

Volcynika

When I started up FF14 again I was pleased to find that all the dialogue takes that into account and sometimes your race/class as well. I guess it comes down to whether they have the time/budget to go through the script again and make appropriate changes.

Yeah, item sets really streamline the after-hunt routine.

In Tri I remember Deviljho would specifically attack and kill other monsters.

It annoys me to no end when small monsters stick around and attack you when there's a big monster in the same zone (unless they are the small version of that species then it's fine). Makes no sense.

I remember fighting things in the first area in this game, and those damn Kechus keep rolling into me. I call them roly polys lol.

I never thought about bomb cats but that does make sense as a gunner. I could use help getting breaks on tough parts. I'd like to at least try and figure out if stealing cats are worth it though.

I'm still in the mindset that the helpers are just there to distract the monster at best. I didn't even use them until late 3U when I grudgingly brought them around because I'd be passing up free carves otherwise. I've been trying to look into them more since I'm maining HBG this time and they don't really get in the way of that weapon. But so far the extent of that has been 'oh my god this cat armor is so cute I need to do more meownster hunter stuff'

Also it's funny when I enter my house and all my lazy ass thief cats (set to Train) suddenly jump up from their nap and pretend they were pumping iron the whole time.

Lol they use bombs constantly and have the TANK dual skill

Its pretty ridiculous. Just did High Rank Hermitaur and I swear they did most of the work. Broke his claws and Shell with explosions!

upandaway

Just did the Basarios urgent thing, I did NOT feel like I was doing any damage at all haha, then he suddenly died. I was just hitting his nails all the time. That fight was weird.

On the plus side I'm doing really well right now in terms of damage/potions so that's nice.

Noticed it too, kinda weird. I guess they should have kept the text gender-free in the localization and they forgot.

Berordn

okay so hammer is great for breaking things... myself included. rip mobility.

Guess I'd better (re-)re-watch gaijin hunter's video.

windfish

Hey guys, anyone up for hr8 ukantor urgent? Could really use some help, relying on randoms has been an absolute nightmare so far!
Don't mind doing other stuff as well, wouldn't say no if someone got a Kirin (or other rare) guild quests either :D

Currently sitting in room: 13-2844-0780-1549
Quote for pw 4444
Welcome everyone :)

R0ckman

Lol was in a group where a guys mounting message was - "I'm really feeling it!"

okay so hammer is great for breaking things... myself included. rip mobility.

Guess I'd better (re-)re-watch gaijin hunter's video.

Make a hammer build, marathon runner is good, also Diablos armor is great for hammer.

Hammer cyclone is also good for toppling monsters. Went on many online hunts where the monster spent more time with its face in the dirt. Rajang is also easier to beat down with the hammer.

Qurupeke

Should I bother make another HR armor? I have Nerscylla S and Gore S. I was thinking of making the Rath Heart or Soul armor. It's kind of annoying to constantly eat for the huge fire weakness with the Gore armor.

Rebumped my noob question, how can I slice monsters if I I keep doing blunt damage at yellow sharpness? I'm currently up against gravios and my charge blade gets worn down to yellow quick and I can't slice anything :(

Kinsei

Banned
Rebumped my noob question, how can I slice monsters if I I keep doing blunt damage at yellow sharpness? I'm currently up against gravios and my charge blade gets worn down to yellow quick and I can't slice anything :(

You're not doing impact damage. Even if you bounce it's still cutting damage.

Valus

Should I bother make another HR armor? I have Nerscylla S and Gore S. I was thinking of making the Rath Heart or Soul armor. It's kind of annoying to constantly eat for the huge fire weakness with the Gore armor.

Depends on your defense stat and how you're doing in general? If you're dying to HR7 monsters easily then chances are you're gonna get wrecked in G Rank.

You can't cut with a blunt weapon. I don't know much about CB but my friend who mains it says the cutting damage on it is kinda crap. If you're bouncing with a cutting strike, you're still doing cut damage. For example: I've cut off tails with a bounced strike. You're just doing less damage (I assume).

Mupod

Get a weapon with thicker green sharpness, get armor with the Sharpness skill, or add decorations to get the Sharpener skill (decorations each give 2 points toward it). Sharpness makes your weapon sharpness decrease slower, and Sharpener makes it only take one swipe of the whetstone to sharpen the weapon. For maximum overkill look into Ceanataur armor, which comes with both.

Once you break Gravios' chest area open you will stop bouncing off it, and it'll take far more damage. I personally bring some large barrel bomb+ and drop them under him, he'll usually detonate them on his own with his farts.

Get a weapon with thicker green sharpness, get armor with the Sharpness skill, or add decorations to get the Sharpener skill (decorations each give 2 points toward it). Sharpness makes your weapon sharpness decrease slower, and Sharpener makes it only take one swipe of the whetstone to sharpen the weapon. For maximum overkill look into Ceanataur armor, which comes with both.

Once you break Gravios' chest area open you will stop bouncing off it, and it'll take far more damage. I personally bring some large barrel bomb+ and drop them under him, he'll usually detonate them on his own with his farts.

Thanks!

Kinsei

Banned
Well is there any way to maintain green sharpness longer? I find myself using alot of whetstones because i always bounce :(

The armor skill razor sharp, but you don;t have access to it at this point. You're only options are upgrading the CB or eating for felyne polisher (meat + fish).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Rath Soul set is one of my favorite "template" sets in the game. It functions well with nearly every single blade master weapon on its own, and with the help of a decent talisman and decorations can be even better.

That set will last you through early g rank.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh, high rank Khezu took me 34 minutes to beat. I feel like I should be better than that after the hundreds of hours I've put into this series. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom