• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially since it shows all the damage you did to her. Mine had no tail, broke face, back, and a broken wing...felt bad man.

Yes! I can mow down every single person in GTAV all day long and not feel even a hint of remorse...but the second I see poor Rath trying to sleep around her eggs, knowing I have to murder her...I feel terrible.

Shiina

Will monsters that are alike even attack each other? I know one of the quests I have available has two Khezus in it.

I remember that quest with the Seregios that invaded my Rathalos hunt with that cutscene where they were both fighting. I thought they would continue where they left off but instead they just ganged up on me.

Dreavus

I wouldn't be surprised. It seems the AI's gotten a lot better about prioritizing hunters that are occupied with chugging potions too, which keeps things interesting.

Thankfully, item sets have make it a lot easier to keep a full stack of inventory at all times. Just go to the box after every hunt, select a hunting item set (which automatically drops off carves too) and then fill in any holes at the shop. As new items became available, I kept updating my item set until it became a nice general-purpose collection of consumables.

Oh man, I completely forgot item sets were a thing.

I need to make a few of these next chance I get.

Valus

Yes! I can mow down every single person in GTAV all day long and not feel even a hint of remorse...but the second I see poor Rath trying to sleep around her eggs, knowing I have to murder her...I feel terrible.

Have you got that scene in the village quest where you encounter
Seregios
? I was referring to that scene specifically, where you go out to capture a Rathian, but after you mess her up she flies to her nest and when you chase her there, you get a scene introducing
Seregios and he completely wrecks her as she's sleeping around her eggs. Felt even worse because in the scene she has all the damage marks you just put on her, so she's weak as fuck already cuz of you and then just gets bodied by Seregios, forcing her to abadon her lair to save her life.
I kinda felt like a dick.

RasanRL

Neo Member

Holy... i never seen it in that way. I just go straight for the kill. I'm going to monster hunter hell.

Seregios
? I was referring to that scene specifically, where you go out to capture a Rathian, but after you mess her up she flies to her nest and when you chase her there, you get a scene introducing
Seregios and he completely wrecks her as she's sleeping around her eggs. Felt even worse because in the scene she has all the damage marks you just put on her, so she's weak as fuck already cuz of you and then just gets bodied by Seregios, forcing her to abadon her lair to save her life.
Huh, I never really realized that the Rathian sleeps around her eggs, I just thought it was going back to its nest.

Also I constantly grab eggs and drop them to make ian/los return to that area when it leaves so I never have to chase them.

I did feel bad during that Seregios cutscene though.

One more ultra noob question. Am I missing all the palicos or do you not start acquiring them until later? I just got to 3 star quests and am 7 hours in and I still just have my main palico.

I'm seeing conflicting reports on the sword saint piercing. Is it just complete all G rank arena quests with each weapon or A-rank all G Arena quests with each weapon?

SSP allows me to make an absolutely bonkers set if I gem it right.

LProtag

Finally have a good set up for HR.

Zinogre U armor with fast sheath charmed and gemmed in and Auberon GS. Though, it would kinda be nice to have sharpness +1 with it, but it has a sliver of natural white sharpness, so that's not so bad.

R0ckman

Doesn't that door swing both ways, though?

All in all it's just a game, but in this case, one person is putting everyone at risk for a vain desire to entertain themselves, they can play alone if they want a higher challenge. I'm sure most people are either farming or doing it as a quest for the points and key completion, I doubt anyone's online for a challenge.

Woooo got a ruby from that A Rath tail!
Then he shot me with a fireball and I died. Sorry bout that. Not while I was carving, of course... not that dense XD.
Yall are an awesome team.

Berordn

So, anyone got any tips on breaking Monoblos's horn with the glaive? I've got no trouble killing him or breaking anything else, but that horn still escapes me. I've tried assortments of barrel bombs and traps and I still can't seem to get the darn thing to crack.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So, anyone got any tips on breaking Monoblos's horn with the glaive? I've got no trouble killing him or breaking anything else, but that horn still escapes me. I've tried assortments of barrel bombs and traps and I still can't seem to get the darn thing to crack.
Use a hammer.

Noob question, how can I slice monsters if I I keep doing blunt damage at yellow sharpness? I'm currently up against gravios and my charge blade gets worn down to yellow quick and I can't slice anything :(

TheGrue

Question about building HR armor. I have a couple of sets of LR armor I use for different purposes. I've done a few HR quests and while the ones I did that were just HR versions of normal monsters (not the variants) were fine, I happened to be in a room where they tried the HR4 Urgent (Pink Rathian), and he was just way too much for my LR armor.

So, it got me wondering about strategy for moving into HR armor. I have a bunch of materials to make random HR armor. Is it preferred you just kind of hodge podge it until you get more survivability and then worry about skills or should I stick with my LR Evasion armor (I am SA and have a mix of Nargacuga and Lobster with some gems to get me to Evasion 15) and build what I really want?

What seems to work the best or is preferred?

ilium

does anyone have experience with Stealing Palicos? i initially assumed that their boomerang gets the stealing ability which would've been amazing, but apperently it's the charge attack they do...sometimes.

any input? is worth it to give up free healing for stealing?

Seregios

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. The worst part?
I had forgotten traps AND tranq bombs like an idiot so I waited around for supplies to arrive...only to not need them.

Finally got to Caravan 7, now high rank. I feel strangely proud of this, this is my first MH game. When I look at time played, I see I've been at it for more than 50 hours. This beats my average time spent with games by a wide margin. I also understand that I'm barely scratching the surface of the depth in this game. So with that, my question is:

As I'm on Caravan 7, where do I go from here? Should I be doing Guild Quests? Expeditions? Is this the sort of game where you could ignore one type of game mode and solely play others and still progress far in terms of gear and items, or is beating the Caravan mode the sole priority?

Is there a bigger incentive to do Guild Quests and raise your Hunter Rank through there? The deeper I get into this game, the more questions that arise, haha.

Any help would be much appreciated, I just want a small break down of what the various modes are for, and which I should be putting my time into!

tuffy

So, it got me wondering about strategy for moving into HR armor. I have a bunch of materials to make random HR armor. Is it preferred you just kind of hodge podge it until you get more survivability and then worry about skills or should I stick with my LR Evasion armor (I am SA and have a mix of Nargacuga and Lobster with some gems to get me to Evasion 15) and build what I really want?

If you put better spheres into your LR armor, it may be enough to keep you from being obliterated by HR monsters. But otherwise, you'll really want to move into a set which activates some skills rather than putting together a bunch of pieces with better defense. Even just buying a High Metal S set from the shop would give a few skills, at least.

Whenever it digs, sonic bomb it when the tail tip is about to vanish, and you'll get a lot of free hits / bomb on the face. When it goes airborne to free itself, flash bomb it, and it will collapse, for more free face hits. Works on diablos too.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Question about building HR armor. I have a couple of sets of LR armor I use for different purposes. I've done a few HR quests and while the ones I did that were just HR versions of normal monsters (not the variants) were fine, I happened to be in a room where they tried the HR4 Urgent (Pink Rathian), and he was just way too much for my LR armor.

You want do the same progression as you did with LR armor like starting out small than going a little higher each time. This is how I did it:
Jaggi->Kecha->Nercylla->Rathian.
Its better to make full armor sets at High Rank because monsters will do a ton more damage but the skill sets are way better.
I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Now I have to go craft a decent hammer.
You mainly want to use the hammer because it is the main weapon you want for impact damage, the damage that is used to break things. Insect Glaive is weird because depending on which part of the staff hits the monster, it can do impact or cutting damage.

R0ckman

Whenever it digs, sonic bomb it when the tail tip is about to vanish, and you'll get a lot of free hits / bomb on the face. When it goes airborne to free itself, flash bomb it, and it will collapse, for more free face hits. Works on diablos too.

Sonic bombs haven't been working on diablos for me, I try and do it early before he enrages, nothing happens.

Mupod

does anyone have experience with Stealing Palicos? i initially assumed that their boomerang gets the stealing ability which would've been amazing, but apperently it's the charge attack they do...sometimes.

I halfass everything regarding cats all the time because I don't care but I figured stealing would be what I ended up going for, same as 3U. I like free carves.

So far my stealing cats have only given mega boomerang to my ace. If that doesn't let him steal...what's the point of it?

Thank you for the hunts. That was really fun!
They went by really fast. I guess it also helps to have HR 96 guy there as well :)
Thanks also to LoVendoR, whoever you are :)

Haha, yeah I don't know who that was, but the help was awesome. We melted some of those guys. One step closer to that Rath Soul armor...
Thanks for the hunts!

Mupod

Use a hammer.

Cutting damage is more effective, though. And I don't know about this game but previously, cutting weapons stopped bouncing off Blos heads at lower levels of sharpness (although super pound never bounces). When fighting Diablos with a hammer my goal was to get 1 or 2 KOs then stay the hell away from the head because all it did was ruin your sharpness and waste time. Monoblos weak points are a little different but not THAT different.

Sonic bombs haven't been working on diablos for me, I try and do it early before he enrages, nothing happens.

Did they change that in MH4U? Havent fought a Diablos in this yet, but that was a mainstay of Diablos fighting in the other games. Maybe it's the timing and accuracy of the throw? I know it works on monoblos. The window is small, and the bomb has to detonate right where it dug though.

TheGrue

You want do the same progression as you did with LR armor like starting out small than going a little higher each time. This is how I did it:
Jaggi->Kecha->Nercylla->Rathian.
Its better to make full armor sets at High Rank because monsters will do a ton more damage but the skill sets are way better.

Interesting. Well, i didn't do that progression in LR at all. I scrapped things together and I think the first actual set I put together was a Khezu set to get ThunderAtk to 20 and using the Zinogre SA. I guess I'll rectify that strategy for HR using the advice from you and the poster above you.

I have a decent amount of Nerscylla stuff, so maybe I can skip straight to it. Keep pumping my Evade set with spheres until I can get it built.

Thanks.

Shurayuki

Thank you for the hunts. That was really fun!
They went by really fast. I guess it also helps to have HR 96 guy there as well :)
Thanks also to LoVendoR, whoever you are :)

Swings and roundabouts: It was me all along!

Did they change that in MH4U? Havent fought a Diablos in this yet, but that was a mainstay of Diablos fighting in the other games. Maybe it's the timing and accuracy of the throw? I know it works on monoblos. The window is small, and the bomb has to detonate right where it dug though.

Sonic bombs don't work when it's raging.

R0ckman

I'll check, I'll be farming him today.

deim0s

There will be a time when you're not going to rely on their healing horns later on.

Bastos

Ugh, I felt so bad during that one cutscene.
Yeah man :c

I hunt monster for hours but sometimes I think to myself that the monster probably are all like "Why is this hooman attacking me? I just want to raise my dragon babies! :c" then they start limping and running away and they are "why are you following me!? I don't want to fight anymooore! Don't do this! :CCCC"

Poor creatures ;-;

In other news I'm farming Azure Rathalos.

Anura

The way this game seems to treat you like a guy no matter what bugs the heck out of me... First all the 'sir' and now some old guy said I was like a grandson to him.

Ugh, it annoys me to no end.

ilium

I halfass everything regarding cats all the time because I don't care but I figured stealing would be what I ended up going for, same as 3U. I like free carves.

So far my stealing cats have only given mega boomerang to my ace. If that doesn't let him steal...what's the point of it?

exactly my thought. so far it seems super underwhelming. i'm going to give it a try later and let them duo an easy LR monster and see how often they attempt to steal.
if they are too lazy for my liking...

get-out-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-192.gif

There will be a time when you're not going to rely on their healing horns later on.

it's not that i need the healing, it's just nice to have so i can keep hitting the monster.
and what do you mean with later on? i'm pretty much done with the caravan quests...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom