• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Every Zinogre I kill gives me a Jasper. I'm on my 5th now. Is that a curse or a blessing?
Meanwhile, I got a total of 1 Plate on LR...

Eh? Charging causes it to fly the same direction as not charging. It's just faster and stronger when charged. Either way it'll fly straight ahead of where your character is facing.*

Edit: *Or toward the location you have marked.

Really? Maybe it has something to do with the arena glaive since I tried standing and firing it off normally numerous times and it always went off towards the sides instead of straight ahead until I started charging it.

Shurayuki

Really? Maybe it has something to do with the arena glaive since I tried standing and firing it off normally numerous times and it always went off towards the sides instead of straight ahead until I started charging it.

It flies to the side and keeps hovering there if it has reached it's maximum traveling distance (dependent on the stamina stat).
It's quite possible charging extends the maximum range I never truly tested.

Tom_Cody

I just pick a bow that has the elemental weakness of what I'm fighting. I tend to prefer pierce. With spread you have to get so close that you might as well melee. Rapid is decent but it doesn't have the range that I like. It's good for breaking a very specific part of the body, but pierce works too.

I haven't found a use for arc shot. It's too difficult to line up against the medium-sized faster monsters, and against the huge ones like Gravios, the arc shot doesn't even seem like it has a chance to detonate. It just hits their back and fizzles out. Also, ceilings can be quite low in this game compared to MH3, and your arc shot can just end up hitting the ceiling and doing nothing. Power is almost certainly the way to go because of the reasons you stated, and on top of that you can negate the stamina usage with dash juice (or with a Hunting Horn player with Negate Stamina). While I liked using arc shot in MH3, I don't use it at all in 4U.
Thanks for the response.

Regarding normal shots, Rapid is the sweet spot for me. Spread's critical distance is a bit too close and Pierce's is a bit too far away. I like to be close to the monster but not quite in striking distance. The critical distance lines up with where I want to be naturally.

To defend arc shots a bit, they are difficult to land but that is a part of the appeal for me. It is a great feeling when you avoid a lunging monster and then spin fast enough to drop your arc shot where you predict they are going to end their movement. That's why I like the option of having effectively two critical distances. You fight most of the fight at one primary distance, but then you can drop arc shots when opportunities arise.
I personally prefer using normal shots the majority of the time. I save arc shots for oppurtunities to score damage on a far away monster (as opposed to constantly chasing it) since its too dangerous to use up close

Same applies to Power Shots. They are excellent but a huge drain on stamina and extend the animation. They create bad habits since you tend to get a little zealous and greedy trying to push up the dps.

I think both are good (though arc shots seem a bit weaker this time around) I just need to adjust my habits so that I am not taking more hits than i should be.
Good point. I already use arc shots situationally, and I should probably think about power shots the same way. I think I always get a little greedy trying to use them all the time and I end up sapping myself out. I think I will give my power-shot bow another chance with this notion in mind.

R0ckman

The hell is with players not only NOT bringing dung bombs but continuing to battle monsters when multiple are in the area rather than baiting them into attacking each other?

Don't worry about it.

ALSO got a room up, two of us atm doing HR4 stuff:

30-5759-4607-2787

Pass: 1113

Gypceros wake-up is among the hardest-hitting attacks! Room details have changed, I think...

It was the same for me. Coming from LR I almost got rekt by a HR great Jaggi. A GREAT JAGGI.

Didn't remember such a spike between LR and HR in 3U.

Purple Gypceros triple-carted my companion! And I forgot it was immune to shock traps, oh god.

Just got into high level quests and made my initial set of high level armor (just jaggi for now until I get to better monsters), but jesus christ: Emerald Congalala is wrecking my shit. Even with two other friends. I've been face stomping everything else up until this point, even other high level quests. I just feel embarrassed and confused.

It was the same for me. Coming from LR I almost got rekt by a HR great Jaggi. A GREAT JAGGI.

The hell is with players not only NOT bringing dung bombs but continuing to battle monsters when multiple are in the area rather than baiting them into attacking each other?

I'm guilty of doing that in 3U and getting away with it too. Not so much in 4U just yet.

Bastos

I always pity Rathians when a Seregios attacks them.

Leave Rath alone, she just wants to take care of her eggs ;-;

R0ckman

Any one go into chain farming? Want to get this armor set, so I have to farm this monster, this weapon would be best to farm that, so I have to farm this... ARGH!

I'm guilty of doing that in 3U and getting away with it too. Not so much in 4U just yet.

I was in this really bad hunt, where people split off when another monster showed up rather than finishing off the monster we had been working on first. Eventually people slowly started going tracking down the original monster.

Gypceros wake-up is among the hardest-hitting attacks! Room details have changed, I think...

Purple Gypceros triple-carted my companion! And I forgot it was immune to shock traps, oh god.

I messed up and didn't check what I had on me. Didn't have no meat whatsoever. Please forgive.

It flies to the side and keeps hovering there if it has reached it's maximum traveling distance (dependent on the stamina stat).
It's quite possible charging extends the maximum range I never truly tested.

Yeah, it's probably the arena glaive/kinsect just being crappy since I don't remember seeing gaijin hunter charging to get all three extracts in his tutorial video.

Total Monster Hunter noob here. I built myself a full set of Jaggi armor, and now I'm starting 3 star quests in my offline game.

I see new armor sets pop up all the time though, and I'm wondering when is it worth it to upgrade. Should I start working on Tetsucabra armor or is that too close to my Jaggi armor to not be a huge upgrade?

Also, when I do start building another suit. Is it better to equip pieces as I can make them, giving up my full Jaggi set buff, or should I wait until I build a full set before switching over? I'm not sure how much of a buff having a full set provides versus just equipping something with better defense.

Total Monster Hunter noob here. I built myself a full set of Jaggi armor, and now I'm starting 3 star quests in my offline game.

I see new armor sets pop up all the time though, and I'm wondering when is it worth it to upgrade. Should I start working on Tetsucabra armor or is that too close to my Jaggi armor to not be a huge upgrade?

Also, when I do start building another suit. Is it better to equip pieces as I can make them, giving up my full Jaggi set buff, or should I wait until I build a full set before switching over? I'm not sure how much of a buff having a full set provides versus just equipping something with better defense.

Its always good starting out to focus on Defense. Especially when you are learning the ropes and taking a lot of hits. Tetsu armor is a great go to starter set for this reason

Otherwise you need to consider what skills will most benefit your weapon and playstyle.

Comandr

Velociprey is a wonderful set.

Skills
Attack +12
Stun +8
Psychic +8
Handicraft +2
Torso Up +1
Paralysis -7

With 5 slots, I throw in something easy like Speed Sharpening.

Beyond that, armor spheres. Armor spheres, armor spheres, armor spheres.

High Rank Velociprey S armor starts at 38 armor each, I have mine up to 75 now, and I'm HR 42. The set has legs.

And if you can get Velocidrome guild quest, it makes building this armor a snap, and you'll be able to do it all the way to G rank.

Mupod

Until you have a very good grasp of how armor skills work it's better to stick with full sets. Remember that unless you have 10 points toward a skill, it won't do anything.

Defense isn't as important and is not worth breaking your armor skills. Jaggi armor could probably get you through the rest of low rank, but at some point you'll probably feel like you want to upgrade. Honestly, if you like the look of a set or really enjoy fighting the monster, go for it. Worst case scenario is you just got much better at fighting that monster, and an armor set that is maybe a little better.

I'd personally stick with Jaggi a little longer. You might want something better once you start fighting the tougher monsters, Ceanataur is very good. It's obtained by trading Najarala parts to Wycoon.

ilium

i noticed something yesterday...
in area 4 of the dunes map is a little dung beetle rolling a dung ball from the fish cadaver to the rhenoplos cadaver!
after going through his underground tunnel he pops up at the fish cadaver again. because dung beetles are very territorial and try to avoid showing every other dung beetle in the area where they get the best blend of dung.

how cool is that? :3

Until you have a very good grasp of how armor skills work it's better to stick with full sets. Remember that unless you have 10 points toward a skill, it won't do anything.

Defense isn't as important and is not worth breaking your armor skills. Jaggi armor could probably get you through the rest of low rank, but at some point you'll probably feel like you want to upgrade. Honestly, if you like the look of a set or really enjoy fighting the monster, go for it. Worst case scenario is you just got much better at fighting that monster, and an armor set that is maybe a little better.

I'd personally stick with Jaggi a little longer. You might want something better once you start fighting the tougher monsters, Ceanataur is very good. It's obtained by trading Najarala parts to Wycoon.

Chilling Beaks though.... Hard to get though I guess the drop rate is slightly better in High rank

Excellent armor set for pretty much any Melee fighter

Tom_Cody

Switching up armor too much early on can become a trap but IMO the Tetsucabra armor is worth getting, or you can wait a bit and get the Nerscylla set.

Complete one of those sets and armor sphere them up and you should be good to go for a while.

It also partly depends on how much time you want to spend fighting the same monsters. I personally enjoyed killing the Tetsucabra a number of times (and learning about breaking parts) in order to earn his set.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Kinda wanna put together stygian zinogre set, but I'm G1 now so I don't know if it`s still worth it but man it's got such a nice skill spread for great swords.

tuffy

How do you bait them into attacking each other?
All you can really do is put one monster between yourself and the other and hope the other's attacks will hit it. A big monster's AI doesn't really go out of its way to attack other big monsters, probably because that would make the game too easy.

R0ckman

All you can really do is put one monster between yourself and the other and hope the other's attacks will hit it. A big monster's AI doesn't really go out of its way to attack other big monsters, probably because that would make the game too easy.

It would be interesting if after a while of baiting you could get the monsters to attack each other for a bit then one flees the area.

taybul

Speaking of monster AI, is it just me or are monsters aware of when I'm about to do a charge attack and moves himself just out of range of the attack? Either that or tail swipe.

Valus

Some people are farming, not trying to have some entertainment via daredevil cart risks, so have respect for the others you hunt with.

If it bothers you that much, bring your own dung bombs and take care of the situation. Or don't play with randoms. Otherwise it's pretty pretentious of you to expect random people to adhere to your elite mentality.

If it bothers you that much, bring your own dung bombs and take care of the situation. Or don't play with randoms. Otherwise it's pretty pretentious of you to expect random people to adhere to your elite mentality.

A large amount of people seem to play without utilizing flash, sonic, and dung bombs (me!).

What I usually do before a hunt where troublesome enemies or ailments will be present is to say something like "bring antidotes/dung bombs/whatever".

Usually after I do that I see 2 or 3 people run to the item box before running back to the exit gate.

But given how much there is to take in in this game (especially for new players) you should communicate what items to bring because people usually forget that they have a bunch sitting in their item box from low rank box supplies.

tuffy

Speaking of monster AI, is it just me or are monsters aware of when I'm about to do a charge attack and moves himself just out of range of the attack? Either that or tail swipe.
I wouldn't be surprised. It seems the AI's gotten a lot better about prioritizing hunters that are occupied with chugging potions too, which keeps things interesting.
But given how much there is to take in in this game (especially for new players) you should communicate what items to bring because people usually forget that they have a bunch sitting in their item box from low rank box supplies.
Thankfully, item sets have make it a lot easier to keep a full stack of inventory at all times. Just go to the box after every hunt, select a hunting item set (which automatically drops off carves too) and then fill in any holes at the shop. As new items became available, I kept updating my item set until it became a nice general-purpose collection of consumables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom