• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should my main goal be landing a super ultra while using the charge blade? Or should I stay in charged shield mode a longer amount of time? I really want to learn how to use it, since all I've ever used throughout 4 was lance, hammer and greatsword.
I've played with too many people
some here even
that always use Super AED way too much and its always leads to them sending someone flying or missing completely. When your shield is charged use the regular AED by pressing X and the circle pad the direction behind your hunter just before the final blow on you Axe attack swing. Its more reliable and you don't just blow your load. Only use Super AED when no ones close and you know for sure you'll hit the monster but for the most part you should just be using your the regular AED

XaosWolf

I played my first few online hunts over the weekend. A few questions:

It seems that progress is only made if you are the one to initiate a quest, correct? How do you guys work to progress though? Is there competition between players as to who gets to pick the quest?

I just beat Gore Magala (the first real fight) in the single player and my intention was to venture online to farm its parts. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to take me a week of dirking around online before I will unlock that hunt. Is there a way to join a lobby for a specific mission/monster?

Also, any general advice to someone new to online would be appreciated. And yes, I already know about mounting etiquette.

Progress is shared for all but Urgent Quests. Even across ranks.

Our team yesterday had some of HR2 guys and they still had credit for the HR3 quests we did before we helped with their urgents.

As for general advice: Be mindful of your weapon against teammates . (Hammer smash, Switch Axe upswings, etc)
Don't just rush for the head when you're better suited for more general areas as opposed to stunning or tail cutting.

Some other helpful info:
- You don't need to leave online to change equipment, you are free to head to your house whilst still being online.
- Meal vouchers are shared, so everything should be fresh for everyone is someone uses one.

I found him surprisingly easy, which took me off guard a bit. What are you having trouble with most?
His water sprout always seems to get me and I just melt. Or he gets me as I'm trying to run and heal when he's burrowing and popping up.

He's the first wall I've come across, which is really surprising. I'll try him again when I'm not sleepy. He just plain hits hard.

Tom_Cody

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/guild

The quests with (Key) next to them are necessary to unlock the next urgent. So they're the most important, others are all optional though they can be required for upgrades to food or the wycoon etc.

Edit: I like kiranico's list since it's compact and to the point lol.

Key quests (which are not marked as key quests in-game) unlock urgent quests. Urgent quests tend to raise your Hunter Rank.
Thanks guys. I think I get it now.

Faiz

Yeah I hate Gravios since I'm trying to stick with hammer for now. He was the reason I picked up guns MHFU. I can't even triple pound his head while he's flipped to the ground. My only chance is during his beam and I just hope he doesn't immediately fart.

How do SnS users even deal with him? Garbage range and no attack that doesn't bounce.

Yesssss. Gravios is a huge blind spot for me. I've never been able to get used to him with melee. Gravios and Plesioth in MHFU are what got me to try ranged - I've done very little with range in 4U but Gravios makes me want to. I feel like everytime I go in to whack him I get farted on.

PKrockin

His water sprout always seems to get me and I just melt. Or he gets me as I'm trying to run and heal when he's burrowing and popping up.

He's the first wall I've come across, which is really surprising. I'll try him again when I'm not sleepy. He just plain hits hard.
Hermitaur was the first monster to triple cart me. His water beam OHKO'd me and in rage mode he would just sideswipe me over and over, locking me in shield the second I block, draining all my stamina in one combo and leaving me helpless for whatever he wanted to do next.

Tom_Cody

Progress is shared for all but Urgent Quests. Even across ranks.

Our team yesterday had some of HR2 guys and they still had credit for the HR3 quests we did before we helped with their urgents.

As for general advice: Be mindful of your weapon against teammates . (Hammer smash, Switch Axe upswings, etc)
Don't just rush for the head when you're better suited for more general areas as opposed to stunning or tail cutting.

Some other helpful info:
- You don't need to leave online to change equipment, you are free to head to your house whilst still being online.
- Meal vouchers are shared, so everything should be fresh for everyone is someone uses one.
Very helpful. Thank you very much.

Wow, thanks again for everyone for such prompt responses. This is a great community.

Yesssss. Gravios is a huge blind spot for me. I've never been able to get used to him with melee. Gravios and Plesioth in MHFU are what got me to try ranged - I've done very little with range in 4U but Gravios makes me want to. I feel like everytime I go in to whack him I get farted on.
Grav is cake for me with SnS. If you mount him enough you can damage his back and then the gas after the beam will only come out of his back. Also the gas will always follow the short beam so you know what to look for.

Shiina

Starting to feel a little burned out. Or rather I'm not sure what to do next. I'm not very keen on finishing every single quest and I'm not very excited about grinding 140s for RNG weapons, either. I killed just about every monster in the game, some in Apex or 140 form, so I guess there's that. Well I suppose I've already put a good 160h into it.

Volcynika

It bothers me so much sometimes how quick it is to boot up my 3DS and get into this game. While my hour count doesn't compare to many, I haven't put 55 hours into any games within the past few months, but I've done that with this in the past few weeks. Still loving it, though! :D

Shengar

Starting to feel a little burned out. Or rather I'm not sure what to do next. I'm not very keen on finishing every single quest and I'm not very excited about grinding 140s for RNG weapons, either. I killed just about every monster in the game, some in Apex or 140 form, so I guess there's that. Well I suppose I've already put a good 160h into it.

200 hours in, and I haven't fought every single monster yet
The road is still far ahead for me.

Does anyone else have problems with strangers in a group keeping you from carving monsters once you down them? It seems like i have a knack for getting with a group of friends who takes turns whacking me to make sure i dont get carves. Not sure what to do about it but to just leave the party and try to find another one thats my rank.

R0ckman

Does anyone else have problems with strangers in a group keeping you from carving monsters once you down them? It seems like i have a knack for getting with a group of friends who takes turns whacking me to make sure i dont get carves. Not sure what to do about it but to just leave the party and try to find another one thats my rank.

Attack them back?

Mupod

was surprised how easy it was to cobble together my entry level G rank set and weapon.

1. Farmed Lagombi, took only 3 runs of the dual Lagombi quest. Also was funny watching high ranked players cart to them.

2. Did some gathering in frozen seaway to build up my stock of orbs/armor spheres and get the leftover bugs and stuff for Lagombi. Found an evade+3, 3 slot charm too.

3. Two Najarala runs to upgrade my HBG. In the process I witnessed an IG user whose mount macro was "IT'S TIME TO D-DUEL *-from yugioh*". Yes, the 'from yugioh' thing was part of the message.

With that evade charm I get evade distance, evade+1, lasting power, quick sheathing, cold cancel, and normal up. Pretty nice for barely over an hour of work. Probably gonna make a beeline for Diablos next, so I can upgrade my Najarala gun again.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Did you fuck up by attacking while it was asleep or kill it when they were trying to cap it?

ilium

this never happened to me tbh. assholes...
you should play with gaf more ;)

kicking team mates around after they have carved however is something i support and enjoy.

VandalD

You could switch off your wireless or put the 3DS into sleep mode for a second or so to disconnect if it's obvious people are just trolling you. Also, play with GAF!
I am at the beach place and there no missions left to do and no one to talk to...what did I miss? Where do I go now? :(
Did you go to the cat island to the left side of the screen?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I am at the beach place and there no missions left to do and no one to talk to...what did I miss? Where do I go now? :(

What are the npc's saying? Did you try and visit the other villages for yellow markers? Did you go to the cat resort to the left?

Get Felyne Supercarver when eating as it makes you uninterruptible while carving.

If it keeps happening, either you're very unlucky or you're doing something to aggravate your teammates. What weapon type do you use?

Seil

Do tell. I'm not sure if I can be bothered getting three Fulgerbugs.

All it takes is one mount to pull that off though. Two if you're a little too slow.

Have the net ready, mount, run and bug net.

After that you have to fight seregios on a boat though lol

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Do tell. I'm not sure if I can be bothered getting three Fulgerbugs.
A special something awaits you in your home. It's worth it, trust me. Just focus on mounting the Zinogre; you probably need to mount thrice, so just lure it near ledges and wait for supercharge mode.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Got my Charge Blade HR Equipment Set for now with the following skills and around 258 DEF:

Sharpness +1
Speed Sharpener
Attack Up (M)
Trap Master

If I can get a charm with 3 slots and 3+ attack, I can also get Attack Up (L), which would make this beast nasty.

Played a metric crap-ton this weekend. Highlights:

-Unlocked 9* quests and completed 5 quests.
-Got a red check mark on all Caravan stars except 6 & 9 (that took a while).
-Fought Kirin for the first time. What a breath of fresh air in a game filled with dragons - was a cool fight.
-Hit my second road block with Brute Tigrex. Triple carted to him 3 times now.
-Changing it up and crafted a Sword & Shield armor set (Gravios S, gemmed to have AtkUp M); made the S&S from a Rust Shard that has 500+ dragon element. This required about an hour of grinding Earth Crystals in Expeditions. Luckily I have a Treasure Palico!

Tonight I will give that a try against B. Tigrex. That's always been my strategy - when I can't beat a guy, I change up my strategy.

Started playing this week, hated it at first but then the actual Monster hunts showed up.
Felt pretty cool to fight the big guys.
But...then they started adding in really awful side quest that you need to do to progress.
I'm stuck in the "8 small goldenfish" quest, it's BS.

Get Felyne Supercarver when eating as it makes you uninterruptible while carving.

If it keeps happening, either you're very unlucky or you're doing something to aggravate your teammates. What weapon type do you use?

Charge Blade right now. Not sure what i could be doing to piss anyone off, lol. Only thing i could think of would be knocking people off mounts, but i quit attacking completely once someone mounts the monster.

max_505

Is it possible to "kick" players from the gathering hall in an online and local play session?

My friend told me that, while in a local play session, he was waiting for the 3 hunters to end a quest (he was in the gathering hall, the other 3 were in a quest) when the room suddenly got dissolved and he was kicked out. Was wondering if it was just a network glitch or something.

ilium

Started playing this week, hated it at first but then the actual Monster hunts showed up.
But...then they started adding in really awful side quest that you need to do to progress.

you only need to do key quests to progress.

Did you fuck up by attacking while it was asleep or kill it when they were trying to cap it?

If people are trying to cap, they need to say so in chat i would think. If its a cap quest, i dont think you get to carve if you kill it then, you just get stuck at the fail screen. Ive seen it A LOT on single player.....

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Also, is there a list with all the quests needed to upgrade the kitchen ingredients? I'm on HR8 in the main campaign and I just unlocked the PRIME option, but some of my ingredients, primarily meats are still at level 1.

Seil

The one in the gathering hall? That's not actually necessary to progress, it's not a key quest. But you can take in small goldenfish you've collected previously to turn in.

It's easier in a group, and the quantity is based around at least a couple people going into the quest. So gathering and delivery quests in the hall are generally going to be annoying solo.(The Mistentoe quest in HR5 is easily solo'd though and great for farming high rank charms and rust/ancient shards)

Go into that quest with the fast gathering skill and you can grab all three bugs after one successful mount.

All it takes is one mount to pull that off though. Two if you're a little too slow.

Have the net ready, mount, run and bug net.

After that you have to fight seregios on a boat though lol

A special something awaits you in your home. It's worth it, trust me. Just focus on mounting the Zinogre; you probably need to mount thrice, so just lure it near ledges and wait for supercharge mode.

OK. Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll try it out later.

Reggieos is as easy as pie, though. :c

Pila

Me too.

I've always been a fan of random rooms, 3U community was nice, sometimes people had low knowledge about the game but that's part of the experience and I like helping new faces.

This time people I find are so shitty, I'm going to give up playing with randoms I guess :( today I had like 30 minutes, I was like: "No time for playing with GAF, I'm just doing couple quests". I found a room with some guy (called Tony in game) with his pink rathian ready, I joined his quest and said something like: "Maybe we're doing my urgent later?" "Yeah sure dude, let's go".

Ian was done in 10-15 minutes (not too shabby, there were two of us with high rank stuff) when we were back in the hall Tony started acting like a pro "I could do it faster playing solo" and he kicked me ^^ ok kid maybe I'm new at the bow but I was in critical distance all the time, you could solo it faster my ass. xD

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I feel like people are way worse this time, I'm going to just play single player when I don't have time to open a GAF room...

Mupod

Purely from a 'getting their rare drop' standpoint, which monsters do you need to capture? Feels like almost everything is easier to get via carves nowadays. Which is kind of weird since capturing used to be generally accepted as the way to get rare rewards.

Rathan/Rathalos are the obvious ones to capture, since you can't carve plates/rubies/mantles. Savage Joe, I think you need to cap for black blood but his gems are carved. Likewise Najarala is a question of wanting beaks or sounders.

But you can't expect everybody to have kiranico open in front of them all the time. On top of that, if an important part (Tail!) isn't broken and the monster is asleep, it can be more important to get that bomb or GS charge on it. If it dies, oh well.

I do think if you're going to be picky over cap/kill you really should say so beforehand, or even better have a 'let's capture it' chat macro. That said if we're in danger of failing due to deaths, I'll capture for safety. Has only happened once so far for me in 4U but if I keep playing with randoms in G rank it'll happen again.

Faiz

Grav is cake for me with SnS. If you mount him enough you can damage his back and then the gas after the beam will only come out of his back. Also the gas will always follow the short beam so you know what to look for.

I do realize all of this, just like I said for some reason he's my blind spot. I'll fight harder monsters and only go through a couple pots, and then gravios just won't click. It's rather inexplicable.

this never happened to me tbh. assholes...

kicking team mates around after they have carved however is something i support and enjoy.

How exactly would i go about playing with Gaf? Just keep looking through this thread for rooms?

They will never not be annoying :/ I went through my backlog of gopher quests this weekend and finally did them - was not fun.

HOWEVER! They are usually not required to advance in the story. And, they usually unlock good things at the Wycoon (which you'll get to soon, if not already).

How exactly would i go about playing with Gaf? Just keep looking through this thread for rooms?

I usually just type "Hey guys, looking for help with [insert what I need help with]. Anyone interested?" Then I post my gathering hall ID. Takes about 5-10 minutes, but I'll usually get a team of 2 or 3 to help. There are a lot of people willing to take a break from their current grind to help out a player.

Filth

I feel their isn't a lot of charge blades. I'm hr 7 and doing high quests in caravan and using the same cb since forever :(

Mupod

The IRC works for me. Needed some help to get Dalamadur down the other day, instantly got some help and we banged out Ukanlos too.

I'm generally more of a solo player and am not big on playing with randoms, but I loved playing with GAF all the time in 3U. So it kinda sucks that we can't just have a 'GAF server' due to 4U's online structure. Hoping the next MH brings back the server/lobby setup, but for now we have some workarounds like just posting in the thread.

Victrix

*beard*
The IRC works for me. Needed some help to get Dalamadur down the other day, instantly got some help and we banged out Ukanlos too.

I'm generally more of a solo player and am not big on playing with randoms, but I loved playing with GAF all the time in 3U. So it kinda sucks that we can't just have a 'GAF server' due to 4U's online structure. Hoping the next MH brings back the server/lobby setup, but for now we have some workarounds like just posting in the thread.

What IRC? I don't see a server in the OP, or am I blind.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've been playing solo only since I got the game. I'm up to HR8 quests. Took a long time to get to that point, been playing nonstop. Is that pretty good progress?

I'm going to start playing multiplayer now to progress in that to higher ranks and to get some unlockables only available through Multiplayer. I wondered why my meat ingredients were never upgrading, here it is upgrade only available from playing multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom