• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium

Me too.

I've always been a fan of random rooms, 3U community was nice, sometimes people had low knowledge about the game but that's part of the experience and I like helping new faces.

This time people I find are so shitty, I'm going to give up playing with randoms I guess :(

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I feel like people are way worse this time, I'm going to just play single player when I don't have time to open a GAF room...

a game becoming more popular is both a blessing and a curse. but i think that many shitty players are not going to stay around for too long, so the community should become better over time.

How exactly would i go about playing with Gaf? Just keep looking through this thread for rooms?

yup. or post that you are doing HRx quests now and looking for others. maybe you're lucky and find people that are progressing at your pace and play at the same time.

for example, i've been playing with the same handful of people over the past weeks almost every day, which has been a blast. this just happened organically.
but of course i also sometimes rely on random lobbys if i just want to farm something quick, but most of them were ok, so i guess i was lucky so far.

shoutout to the gang! o/

Raide

Did the DLC released last week have anything valuable for a Charge Blade user? Weapons or armor? Especially Low Rank?

There are a mix of LR and HR items. Not sure of the exact stats for the gear sorry.

I don't know about anyone else, but having a mix of gears is great but they do tend to focus around bladed gears more often. Would love to see a ranged focus DLC appearing in the future. Never enough bows! I would like to see them start to do unique things for weapons too. Some interesting new attacks or ways to use a weapon.

la_briola

Later today, maybe in 4 hours or so. MuchiMuchiPink, JimPanzer and myself are doing a lvl127+ Teo GQ.

Just a heads up for anyone who wants to join us!

Only Requirement: special G-rank permit

Good fire res and maybe bio researcher are preferred, but not a must. It just makes it easier for you, but please bring life powder and dust of life!

Shengar

yup. or post that you are doing HRx quests now and looking for others. maybe you're lucky and find people that are progressing at your pace and play at the same time.

for example, i've been playing with the same handful of people over the past weeks almost every day, which has been a blast. this just happened organically.
but of course i also sometimes rely on random lobbys if i just want to farm something quick, but most of them were ok, so i guess i was lucky so far.

shoutout to the gang! o/

Who is this gang you speak of?
I'm still haven't done my GR2 urgent yet even after helping 4 people with Fire Drill quest ;__;

I want to be one of those randoms who somehow gets people to help with urgents. I've helped a ton of people but I can't seem to get mine done.

I already done my part on that. Helping people defeating HR7 Ukanlos for about 7 or 8 times probably.

Pila

a game becoming more popular is both a blessing and a curse. but i think that many shitty players are not going to stay around for too long, so the community should become better over time.

Agreed, I'm happy to see more people playing the game, it's OK if we got a couple morons.

--

Btw dear archers, I'm using a bow these days and I'm new at the thing: critical distance always, full charged arrows, I use all of my power coatings and put it to sleep one time. Sometimes I would re-shoot with that new "Power" bow we got. Missing something? I love learning new weapons and the bow has been fun.

Agreed, I'm happy to see more people playing the game, it's OK if we got a couple morons.

--

Btw dear archers, I'm using a bow these days and I'm new at the thing: critical distance always, full charged arrows, I use all of my power coatings and put it to sleep one time. Sometimes I would re-shoot with that new "Power" bow we got. Missing something? I love learning new weapons and the bow has been fun.

Elements are important, as well as shot type.
For instance, if you're fighting a Gravios, you'll maximize damage with a water bow, as well as pierce shots since he's massive.
Haven't done much with the bow in MH4U, but that was my main weapon in MH3U.

ilium

Who is this gang you speak of?
I'm still haven't done my GR2 urgent yet even after helping 4 people with Fire Drill quest ;__;

I already done my part on that. Helping people defeating HR7 Ukanlos for about 7 or 8 times probably.

whuuuat?! well, i'm on my way home right now and we can finally do your stuff today if you want.

i wanted to come back after dinner yesterday and help with your urgents, but the lobby was gone :<

I love the game

Work is keeping me from playing it but i got already 40h playtime and tackling S. Magala after work.
Had no time till now to play multiplayer but i hope, i find some people in here for a quick rush threw HR, when the time comes (and the work gets less ;) )
Played in the last iterations always dual blades/great sword but this time i stick with long sword

Any skill suggestions for longswords ?

I've nearly crafted my Kechu set, I know that's hardly a feat compared to some Gaffers but after 8 hours in it feels like a big deal for me.

I want to be one of those randoms who somehow gets people to help with urgents. I've helped a ton of people but I can't seem to get mine done.

I've had pretty good luck with randoms so far, but yesterday was probably the best. Decided to try out clearing some HR6 quests so I joined a room that was just starting up. All 4 of us were one or two key quests into HR6 and we all helped each other get the urgent and complete it. Really good group and we never failed a hunt. Tails were consistently cut and faces were smashed. It's rare to get a random group like that, but when it does, it's pretty awesome. GAF is still the best to play with though.

OPpenmi.jpg

re8Zesq.png

Once I gem it out I'll have

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Evasion +1
Rock Steady
Latent Power +1

Dude double carted real early into the Act of Gog quest. The stress I was feeling. When we got it I damn near did a backflip.

ilium

For instance, if you're fighting a Gravios, you'll maximize damage with a water bow, as well as pierce shots since he's massive.

yea, ideally you'd want to have a bow for each element to maximize your damage according to element weakness. this is really expensive tho if you want to keep them upgraded.
depending on how far you are into the game you should take a look at seregio's bow and quartzlight, both come with no element but high raw. so they are good all-rounder. you will need the Load Up skill for seregio's bow tho. Zinogre U armor has that skill and got me through HR easily.
if you're using spread arrow type bows you want Pellet Up skill because it increases damage by a whooping 30%! (only 10% for rapid up and pierce up)
pierce is my favorite but it's too situational sadly, so i go with rapid.
you might have noticed that stamina management is really important with bow, so if you are using power shot type bows, stamina recovery really helps keeping your damage up.

Shengar

whuuuat?! well, i'm on my way home right now and we can finally do your stuff today if you want.

i wanted to come back after dinner yesterday and help with your urgents, but the lobby was gone :<

Sadly, I can't do it now due to reasons :s
But I'm actually in no hurry though. GR3 mean I have access to Chameleos, and that mean I'll farmed it for its armor instead of getting my Rath Soul Z first.

Any skill suggestions for longswords ?

HG Earplugs is pretty great for uninterrupted spirit combo when monsters do their roars.

ilium

Sadly, I can't do it now due to reasons :s
But I'm actually in no hurry though. GR3 mean I have access to Chameleos, and that mean I'll farmed it for its armor instead of getting my Rath Soul Z first.

fair enough. drop me a message when you're ready.

but you know what else is waiting for you in G3...

gemcougb.jpg

:p

Mupod

Can someone far into G rank check something for me? Specifically, the song set on the Rajang and Fatalis hunting horns.

Do they have Attack up L, Melody Extender, and Knockback Prevention? That was the song set of the Stygian Zinogre guitar in 3U and it was pretty much perfect as a general use horn. But it's changed now, so I need an alternative. Problem is the only horns with purple/red/orange seem to be extremely far into the endgame, and I don't even know if the songs are the same.

Pila

yea, ideally you'd want to have a bow for each element to maximize your damage according to element weakness. this is really expensive tho if you want to keep them upgraded.
depending on how far you are into the game you should take a look at seregio's bow and quartzlight, both come with no element but high raw. so they are good all-rounder. you will need the Load Up skill for seregio's bow tho. Zinogre U armor has that skill and got me through HR easily.
if you're using spread arrow type bows you want Pellet Up skill because it increases damage by a whooping 30%! (only 10% for rapid up and pierce up)
pierce is my favorite but it's too situational sadly, so i go with rapid.
you might have noticed that stamina management is really important with bow, so if you are using power shot type bows, stamina recovery really helps keeping your damage up.

Thanks guys, I'm still high rank but your posts are pretty handy anyway, didn't know about Pellet Up for example, my first time gunning, I feel like it's a new game!

JimPanzer

OPpenmi.jpg

re8Zesq.png

Once I gem it out I'll have

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Evasion +1
Rock Steady
Latent Power +1

Dude double carted real early into the Act of Gog quest. The stress I was feeling. When we got it I damn near did a backflip.

damn good skills and it even looks nice. mind listing each armor piece?

ilium

Can someone far into G rank check something for me? Specifically, the song set on the Rajang and Fatalis hunting horns.

Do they have Attack up L, Melody Extender, and Knockback Prevention? That was the song set of the Stygian Zinogre guitar in 3U and it was pretty much perfect as a general use horn. But it's changed now, so I need an alternative. Problem is the only horns with purple/red/orange seem to be extremely far into the endgame, and I don't even know if the songs are the same.

i only have fatalis menace:

self-improvement
melody duration extended
knockback protection
attack boost L

Mupod

i only have fatalis menace:

self-improvement
melody duration extended
knockback protection
attack boost L

yep that's what I'm looking for. Awesome.

Knockback prevention kicks ass - you know how everyone hates longsword users because they trip people? That song eliminates it.

Attack boost L is a must on any horn of course. I don't use anything without it.

The real nice thing though is melody duration. I play hunting horn very offensively, so it basically means I never need to play a song to 'rebuff'. Just use that song in your normal attack rotation and you'll never have to worry about it - it extends the duration of all active songs. The crazy shit happens when you're playing with ANOTHER horn user - you extend their songs too.

I clicked on the wrong Youtube video and I spoiled the final monster in online mode.

I'm not even mad, that has to be the most spectacular fight in the entire series.

Bento

Anyone around that has and might be thinking about doing the quest "Naked and Afraid"? Had no idea you had to be HR 90 to unlock this thing since you only had to finish a G rank quest to unlock the G rank stuff :(

Mupod

I clicked on the wrong Youtube video and I spoiled the final monster in online mode.

I'm not even mad, that has to be the most spectacular looking Monster in the entire series.

I've seen glimpses of it, and some blurry screenshots. Trying to stay dark on it myself.

I knew nothing about Dire Miralis going into that fight in 3U and it was pretty crazy.

burgerdog

I've had a good amount of those already in MH4U. On the opposite side of the spectrum I've had some hilariously bad deaths. Last night I had to go afk for a few mins at the start of a tiger zamtrios. I rush back to the game, run to the zone where they're fighting and as soon as I zone I end up eating a water beam. I decide not to do a quick rise and within a second or so "I've made a huge mistake." I see it wind up the beam again and it kills me right as my character auto got up. I wasn't even mad.

Raide

Had a nice relaxing weekend. Back to some MH and started with Daimyo Hermitaur. Did not expect him to hit me so hard. Think I need to gear a bit or just learn his patterns.

Question re: drop rates.

You generally get three carves from a monster, so if a part is listed as a 5% on a site like Kiranico that means I will get 3 lots of 5% chance at that drop. If a part is listed as 5% from a capture, how many lots of 5% chance is that?

Shiina

Had a nice relaxing weekend. Back to some MH and started with Daimyo Hermitaur. Did not expect him to hit me so hard. Think I need to gear a bit or just learn his patterns.

He's the first HR monster.

Question re: drop rates.

You generally get three carves from a monster, so if a part is listed as a 5% on a site like Kiranico that means I will get 3 lots of 5% chance at that drop. If a part is listed as 5% from a capture, how many lots of 5% chance is that?

I think you get two but I could be wrong.

Mupod

I made a hammer just to beat up that crab - we have a bit of history. Hermitaur hammering in MHF2 is how I learned to use the weapon, and consequently how I finally 'got' MH and started having fun. But yeah, the beam's no problem if you're behind him working on the shell.

demonkaze

I'm well into G rank now, just unlocked the urgent at G1 and was wondering on a suggested armor set/skills to aim for as a Charge Blade user as i'm still rocking the Rath Soul High Rank armor (upgraded to around 430+ defence).

I've been playing since the day it was released, been soloing everything up to HR7 with various Insect Glaives.

Yesterday, I started using the SnS and... wow!
The mobility, the item usage without sheating, quick attacks, quick shield.

I like everything about it BUT I think the damage output is way lower than the IG. Even when Sleep Bombing (because my strongest SnS so far has Sleep Status), my B.Tigrex times are at least 10 minutes longer with SnS than with with my IG, as an example.

I'm probably still too new to the weapon, though...

Mafro

Am I missing something in the single player? I've unlocked the 7* HR quests and finished the first two on the list (Skiff Scuttler and Hot-air Buffoon) but none of the other key quests are showing up. The quest list on the Wiki is different from the one on the app I've been using. Apparently I should have unlocked the next key quest which is hunting a Cephadrome but it isn't there.

Am I missing something in the single player? I've unlocked the 7* HR quests and finished the first two on the list (Skiff Scuttler and Hot-air Buffoon) but none of the other key quests are showing up. The quest list on the Wiki is different from the one on the app I've been using. Apparently I should have unlocked the next key quest which is hunting a Cephadrome but it isn't there.

Speak to people in the various villages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom