• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

You need to reach the 10* quests for that. I got a level 2 stone before doing any guild hall quests.

Not many quests to go then, I better get this out of the way before I make more progress online. I'm probably right at the point where they're going to be needed soon. One urgent away from G3.

Kard8p3

Alright, made it to Cheeko Sands. Did not have fun with that battle on the ship.

Now, when should I start attempting to play online with people?
Have finally got most of the tetsucabra set (Minus the boots and helmet. Gotta get three more claws for it.) and a kecha whappa horn as my weapon.
And what're those numbers everyone's posting?

You should play online as soon as possible!

burgerdog

no offense taken I hope. Its just that if i were to chat (i know there is no in-game chat) , it makes it easier to have some common ground. My past experiences with a lot of the younger crowd have just not been for me. I like long walks on the beach and talks about wheelchairs and walking canes.

You rarely chat with people while hunting. Not to mention that you can't at all while you're in a quest.

JimPanzer

so I got this weapon from a guild quest yesterday...worth building an awaken set around it?

Longsword

Netherblade
Rare 9
Attack 825 Lv1
Element 460 Fire (Awaken)
Sharpness: White (Purple with sharpness +1)
Slots: OOO
Affinity: 30%
Defense +20

the set I thought of would have
Sharpness+1, Awaken, Evade +1, ElementalCrit, Rock Steady

your thoughts guys?

deim0s

I was using the blocky pixelated version from the wiki and somone found this version. I have no idea where, though.

WXfhWBh.png

If you want to level up. :p (Have the brute too)

hey burgerdog where'd you get your avatar at?

I have some monster image files here - do you need something?

deim0s

The monster icons would come in handy for possible future tattoos...

Do you have the Lagiacrus and Barioth?

only really have those two at 150x150, which you could find in the wiki.

Most of the images that I have that are large are for a MH4U app - some stuff I have to re-render in vectors.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hunt first Brachydios, get 2 marrow.
Hunt second Brachydios, get 3rd marrow.
*doesn't give a shit about brach gear*

Damn you, desire sensor.

yami4ct

Completed my Seregios set today. Man, getting the Bnahabra Razorwings and Piercing Claws was harder than the actual Seregios parts. Actually ended up with 3 extra Lenses when all was said and done, so guess I'll make some of his weapons or something.

Armor itself is kind of disappointing. Looks great and the defense upgrade is fantastic, but I'm really missing the offensive boosts I usually have on my armor sets. Not sure how useful Edgemaster is going to be and the other skills seem kind of worthless as well. Finally got to gem in Evade Extender without worrying about hitting a health dip, so that has already increased my Switch-Axe-ing a million fold. Probably going to ditch it as soon as I can makes something with Evade Extend plus Attack Up (L) and Sharpness+1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TIL there is a huge mess of caravan quests that only open up when you raise your HR.

*sigh* I guess I'll play online... eventually...

So just solo'd Dragon Attack with the HR Seregios bow. It's an HR6 advanced where you fight a Stygian and a Brute Tigrex at the same time in the arena. Doing that in rank appropriate gear was one of the harder things I've done so far in this game.

I used like 7 smoke bombs to keep hidden from the Tigrex while fighting the Stygian, got him mostly dead before Tigrex noticed me. Then ran around like a chicken with my head cut off while they beat on each other trying to get to me. Pretty much had to keep the bow sheathed anytime the Stygian was in rage mode.

Took me 2 carts and most of my healing items to down the Stygian, then styled on the Tigrex pretty much without getting hit. Took me half an hour but feels good.

Couple things though. I've noticed people in videos being able to call up a gate to split the arena in half, but in this quest it doesn't seem like the button was enabled. Maybe because it wasn't an actual arena quest that stuff is disabled? Would've made it much simpler.

And having to keep the bow sheathed most of the time made me think, does the bow benefit from Crit Draw or Punish Draw? I imagine not but if it did that seems like a fun niche set. With Speed Sheath and those skills I bet I could get KOs pretty easily with bow on my own.

Probably a pipe dream though.

Why did they even bring back Cephadrome? He does absolutely nothing but exhaust my Sonic Bomb material supply.

Cephadrome and Gravios are two monsters they really should have left out of this game, imo. Neither of which are fun to fight for pretty much anybody. I'm all for more monsters but putting these idiots in despite the fact that they are not at all fun to actually hunt feels like padding the roster a bit. Just my opinion though.

Vuze

only really have those two at 150x150, which you could find in the wiki.

Most of the images that I have that are large are for a MH4U app - some stuff I have to re-render in vectors.
Do you happen to have vectorized versions for the new monster icons from MH4U (Seregios, Shah Dalamadur etc)? Not sure which ones are missing in the internal version of 4G Dex since I'm on mobile right now, but they could certainly be of use if you have them and want to share :)

ohlawd

woot staying up was a good idea

finished making the entire Rajang lance line. Looks freaking sick. Just as good as the Dire Miralis lances.

deim0s

On the G2 Tigrex quest, I have ol' Tiggy limping and was running towards a ledge to do a magnificent aerial GS slam... then I was blown out of the sky!

A clean run became a double cart, an Apex Rajang is sniping with his dbz laser beams across and Tiggy is just mad enough and wouldn't want to switch maps with the dung bombs.

Why did they even bring back Cephadrome? He does absolutely nothing but exhaust my Sonic Bomb material supply.

Annoying isn't he.

He's one of the monsters in my "never again" list since Freedom.

Shengar

Cephadrome and Gravios are two monsters they really should have left out of this game, imo. Neither of which are fun to fight for pretty much anybody. I'm all for more monsters but putting these idiots in despite the fact that they are not at all fun to actually hunt feels like padding the roster a bit. Just my opinion though.

In the 1st volume of the artbook, one of the developer said that they designed a monster (Gypceros IIRC) to annoy the player. I wouldn't surprised that if many of older monsters were designed with this in mind. Glad MonHun team get past of this phase though.

deim0s

Do you happen to have vectorized versions for the new monster icons from MH4U (Seregios, Shah Dalamadur etc)? Not sure which ones are missing in the internal version of 4G Dex since I'm on mobile right now, but they could certainly be of use if you have them and want to share :)

Actually am working on both - will PM you when I'm done.

yami4ct

I actually like Gravios. His limited hit spots and map spanning beam attacks make for interesting fights that force you to always be on your toes. Again, just my opinion.

I started with 3U, so this is my first time with Cephadrome, but to me he just feels like a faster, land based Plesioth. Since I didn't like Plesioth, I don't like him either. Ples has a better design, so ultimately I think he's a bit more interesting. Wouldn't mind getting rid of Ceph, but he's not too offensive either.

In my time with the game, the only real roster changes I would make would be Gigginox instead of Khezu (who feels like such a weakling compared to Giggi) and adding Nargacuga who was my favorite fight in 3U and who's presence is sorely missed. Maybe bring back Lagiacrus and tweak him to be more on-land friendly, but other than that I dig the roster.

Shengar

I actually like Gravios. His limited hit spots and map spanning beam attacks make for interesting fights that force you to always be on your toes. Again, just my opinion.

Regular Gravios is fine. it's Black Gravios that very frustrating to fight especially when all it does just spamming laser beam or worse, spamming laser beam while walk around farting fire.

yami4ct

Regular Gravios is fine. it's Black Gravios that very frustrating to fight especially when all it does just spamming laser beam or worse, spamming laser beam while walk around farting fire.

I like Black Gravios as a sort of skill test to force people to play better in higher ranks. He does serve that purpose and it works fairly well. As a regular fight to farm? He sucks. It would be nice if Monster Hunter found a balance between the two, but it's certainly a difficult line to walk.

I started with 3U, so this is my first time with Cephadrome, but to me he just feels like a faster, land based Plesioth. Since I didn't like Plesioth, I don't like him either. Ples has a better design, so ultimately I think he's a bit more interesting. Wouldn't mind getting rid of him, but he's not too offensive either.

In my time with the game, the only real roster changes I would make would be Gigginox instead of Khezu (who feels like such a weakling compared to Giggi) and adding Nargacuga who was my favorite fight in 3U and who's presence is sorely missed. Maybe bring back Lagiacrus and tweak him to be more on-land friendly, but other than that I dig the roster.

The problem with Cephadrome is that he spends it seems like most of his time underground, swimming in circles doing nothing. If you didn't bring sonic bombs or you ran out he's really a super annoying monster to hunt. Then you add the fact that when he's above ground, he's just a Plesioth who is itself a completely uninteresting fight imo.

Gravios I somewhat agree with you, for ranged weapons. I use a Pierce water bow for him and it's pretty entertaining. The problem is using a blademaster against him is totally fucked. His belly is vulnerable but his legs are super resistant and cause most sharpness to bounce in my experience. Then to make it worse he has a huge amount of attacks directed immediately below him which makes it the most dangerous place to stand most of the time, It's hard to avoid those attacks because he's so huge so you have to play pretty carefully in my experience.

All the while he has what feels like a inflated health pool so not only are you constantly bouncing off his legs and having to play carefully to not get hit but it takes ages to kill him. I feel like if they just made his legs not bounce he'd be alot more tolerable for me as a blademaster.

I'll echo you're sentiment for Nargacuga. Really unique fight and I miss him a ton too. At least his set is still in.

JimPanzer

so I got this weapon from a guild quest yesterday...worth building an awaken set around it?

Longsword

Netherblade
Rare 9
Attack 825 Lv1
Element 460 Fire (Awaken)
Sharpness: White (Purple with sharpness +1)
Slots: OOO
Affinity: 30%
Defense +20

the set I thought of would have
Sharpness+1, Awaken, Evade +1, ElementalCrit, Rock Steady

your thoughts guys?

anyone? :>

Neki

as an IG user, spamming jumping attacks is all I do against Gravios, and it still takes 10 minutes to kill it. Once you break his back, the threat of his fart attacks are just limited to when he does it to release heat. Still super boring.

Madouu

IG has been good to me for Gravios and subspecies. I did have trouble getting essences with it at first bit then I started using the jump mark move to grab red/orange and it made keeping my hunter buffed throughout the fight pretty easy. Then you can just play behind/under gravios and spam jumps pretty much, the monster is so big you always end up hitting something and breaking parts in the process... Once I get the belly I can play under him very safely.

And yeah I thought marking was useless but for very big monsters with hard to reach parts, it's actually a very convenient mechanic. (Now if only I could stop pressing R by mistake and interrupting my jumps in the process)

Cerity

Gravios is just a sharpness check for blademasters, only moves you need to really be worried about is his roll which covers a ridiculous amount of space.

B. Gravios has his beams which can be pretty fun to deal with if you get the timing for the flops right or run into the fight with something like evade +1/2/3. Outside of that you just gotta stick to his sides.

I infinitely prefer them to cephadrome though.

Leezard

Does anyone know whether you can find Rhenoplos in any of the early G-rank harvest tours, and if so in which one(s)?

That is, A. Steppe, Dunes Day/Night and Primal Forest.

I'd rather avoid doing a proper hunt for them if possible.

edit: I'll just go do the offline G-rank Gypceros I guess.

windfish

anyone? :>

Sounds amazing! I would love to use this with my LagiX Set! I think there is a skill called Arkana with awaken + status/element att.up or something like that, might be a pretty good fit,
but depending on where you are right now might take some time to get that set.
What was the guild quest lvl when you got that beauty?
Looks like I should do more of those :)

JimPanzer

Sounds amazing! I would love to use this with my LagiX Set! I think there is a skill called Arkana with awaken + status/element att.up or something like that, might be a pretty good fit,
but depending on where you are right now might take some time to get that set.
What was the guild quest lvl when you got that beauty?
Looks like I should do more of those :)

I'm Silver G-rank, so there isn't much out of my reach ;)
The set you are talking about is probably Gogmazios. I thought about that too, but the arcana skill is not in Athena's ASS, so I need to do the maths for the other skills myself :/

The guild quest was a Teostra around lvl 120.

squadr0n

Hey guys, nub question here. I'm about an hour or 2 in and I'm starting to get overwhelmed by the amount of items in my inventory. How do I know what's vendor trash and what's worth keeping? And is it better to finish the gathering quests quickly or stick around and use the time to my advantage?

Reknoc

Hey guys, nub question here. I'm about an hour or 2 in and I'm starting to get overwhelmed by the amount of items in my inventory. How do I know what's vendor trash and what's worth keeping? And is it better to finish the gathering quests quickly or stick around and use the time to my advantage?

everything is worth keeping, just dump it all in your storage chest! The only vendor trash things are like, small goldenfish and whatever else tells you to sell it in its description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom