• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

I've been playing since the day it was released, been soloing everything up to HR7 with various Insect Glaives.

Yesterday, I started using the SnS and... wow!
The mobility, the item usage without sheating, quick attacks, quick shield.

I like everything about it BUT I think the damage output is way lower than the IG. Even when Sleep Bombing (because my strongest SnS so far has Sleep Status), my B.Tigrex times are at least 10 minutes longer with SnS than with with my IG, as an example.

I'm probably still too new to the weapon, though...
As long as you have flash bombs it doesn't seem like Tigrex should take very long for SnS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjPcOfJnKiA

lol

PrankT

Completed my Seregios set today. Man, getting the Bnahabra Razorwings and Piercing Claws was harder than the actual Seregios parts. Actually ended up with 3 extra Lenses when all was said and done, so guess I'll make some of his weapons or something.

Armor itself is kind of disappointing. Looks great and the defense upgrade is fantastic, but I'm really missing the offensive boosts I usually have on my armor sets. Not sure how useful Edgemaster is going to be and the other skills seem kind of worthless as well. Finally got to gem in Evade Extender without worrying about hitting a health dip, so that has already increased my Switch-Axe-ing a million fold. Probably going to ditch it as soon as I can makes something with Evade Extend plus Attack Up (L) and Sharpness+1.

Different story for me. Got the razor wings after one trip and loaded up on piercing claws in a couple harvest tours in Primal Forest (every other baboon drops one). But I've taken so many Seregios down and haven't seen a lens yet. I want it, but at the same time the armor is so common that I don't want it!

deim0s

I've been playing since the day it was released, been soloing everything up to HR7 with various Insect Glaives.

I like everything about it BUT I think the damage output is way lower than the IG. Even when Sleep Bombing (because my strongest SnS so far has Sleep Status), my B.Tigrex times are at least 10 minutes longer with SnS than with with my IG, as an example.

It balances out eventually since you can attack, evade and use items at will.

I was a hammer user from MHFreedom to MH3U and then once I hit G rank in MH3U I switched to SnS and haven't looked back. I love being able to roll out of a combo especially. I never worry about the low attack power since I can combo forever if I really want to with the new back-hop and charge attack, and I am able to get more swings in then most weapons (DS and fully juiced IG are the exceptions). Also being able to go from mid combo to shield for roars is so nice. With high elemental and status and wide range +2 on your armor and bring life powders and you are not only a force to be reckoned with but healing mid fight right under a monster to help your group is a godsend.

Shurayuki

Different story for me. Got the razor wings after one trip and loaded up on piercing claws in a couple harvest tours in Primal Forest (every other baboon drops one). But I've taken so many Seregios down and haven't seen a lens yet. I want it, but at the same time the armor is so common that I don't want it!

You don't need the lens, just use any torso up waist.

It's actually useful because you save a -sharpening point and can get rid of it with a single sharpening jewel in the chest if you want to.

As long as you have flash bombs it doesn't seem like Tigrex should take very long for SnS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjPcOfJnKiA

lol

God... I see I should then stick to the elemental weapons instead of Sleep Bombing.
I have little experience in item usage because of the weapons I've been using. I barely use anything besides Whetstones and Paintballs, Sonic Bombs if hunting a Cephadrome, and that's because of my experience from Dos...

I gotta craft some more weapons to test them.

My time is limited and I'm moving through offline before I jump into multiplayer, so I'm going pretty slow, but the sense of accomplishment when you learn how to take down a monster that's been giving you grief is awesome. I started off with SnS and got bored, so I started using GS and was really happy with the huge damage output. Then I got to Gore at the end of the 4* quests and was having trouble beating him because he moved so fast when he was frenzied. I switched back to SnS and was able beat him down without any problems thanks to being so much more agile. It's cool to see how varied the game is depending on the weapon and monster.

PrankT

You don't need the lens, just use any torso up waist.

It's actually useful because you save a -sharpening point and can get rid of it with a single sharpening jewel in the chest if you want to.

I have torso up with testucabra x, but I didn't have a cutting jewel to complete the edge lore skill. Anyone know how to make one of those jewels?

Also, this set doesn't work very well for the hunting horn I use since I prefer ear plugs, maestro, and evade. Is it good for a great sword? I want to get into that weapon and not sure what is optimal for it. Quick sheathing, critical draw, and anything else?

Edit: Oops, I have torso up with the tests legs, not the waist.

Mupod

My time is limited and I'm moving through offline before I jump into multiplayer, so I'm going pretty slow, but the sense of accomplishment when you learn how to take down a monster that's been giving you grief is awesome. I started off with SnS and got bored, so I started using GS and was really happy with the huge damage output. Then I got to Gore at the end of the 4* quests and was having trouble beating him because he moved so fast when he was frenzied. I switched back to SnS and was able beat him down without any problems thanks to being so much more agile. It's cool to see how varied the game is depending on the weapon and monster.

Yeah, it's always good to know more than one weapon. Learning the monsters is the hard part, picking up a new moveset isn't that tough.

Some monsters are drastically easier with different weapons. Gravios for example is a pain in the ass to melee but you put on a pierce bowgun and he's dead in 5 minutes. The Raths and Hermitaur are traditionally easy fights with a hammer. Brachy on the other hand is tough to KO with a hammer but a hunting horn can reach his head no problem.

Valus

God... I see I should then stick to the elemental weapons instead of Sleep Bombing.
I have little experience in item usage because of the weapons I've been using. I barely use anything besides Whetstones and Paintballs, Sonic Bombs if hunting a Cephadrome, and that's because of my experience from Dos...

Starting to rethink my choice of going Long Sword now and think I may go Sword and Shield.

Just so you guys know, that player is like one of the best known SnS users in the world. All the weapons have amazing utility if you are at this guy's level with it. Use what you have fun with, be competent, and that's all there is to it.

Juraash

So I may have just missed this but, is there a way to farm Ukanlos before G3? Or is it basically just helping people with their urgents? I wanted to craft his GS but I feel like the quest disappeared after I cleared it the first time.

Shiina

So I may have just missed this but, is there a way to farm Ukanlos before G3? Or is it basically just helping people with their urgents? I wanted to craft his GS but I feel like the quest disappeared after I cleared it the first time.

Unlike Dalamadur it seems like there is no Advanced quest for him. So G3 it should be.

v is right

Shurayuki

I have torso up with testucabra x, but I didn't have a cutting jewel to complete the edge lore skill. Anyone know how to make one of those jewels?

Also, this set doesn't work very well for the hunting horn I use since I prefer ear plugs, maestro, and evade. Is it good for a great sword? I want to get into that weapon and not sure what is optimal for it. Quick sheathing, critical draw, and anything else?

The point is that the chest piece has better skill points than the waist, so you can "substitute" them by using torso up instead of the waist.

You can use more than 1 torso up so it would work even with your boots workaround (they're not hard to make though?).
The chest has equal or better points in everything compared to the waist & boots that's why you can use torso up instead for both.

You can't create those jewels, they come in excavation gear only.

Unlike Dalamadur it seems like there is no Advanced quest for him. So G3 it should be.

That's G rank though, if he wants to create the GS he needs HR pieces, hence to help others with the Urgent it would appear, yes.

-Horizon-

Just started the game. Still trying to decide what weapon type I should go with so I'm just going through the tutorial 1 star weapon quests.

Berordn

Just started the game. Still trying to decide what weapon type I should go with so I'm just going through the tutorial 1 star weapon quests.

The tutorial quests really don't give you enough of a chance to play with them, imo. You're better off dragging them into a couple quests and playing with them firsthand.

Overside

Banned

You should absolutely stick to elemental with weapons with rapid attacks but lacking in high damage output.

Unlike melee damage, Elemental damage is the same for every single hit regaurdless of what move was used, so moves that do practically no damage but hit rapidly are 'worthless' for melee damage only weapons, in comparison to the brutal damage they will be dealing when used with elemental weapons.

I will always be a switch axer/charge blade user for blademaster, because I just find the technical aspects and freedom in fluidity incredibly stimulating and fun, but high elemental SnS and dual blades shred monsters so much faster than my axes. You just have to make sure you have the right element for the right monster.

VandalD

I've gotten up to the HR7 urgent, Dalamadur (thanks to Stylo!). Come help out if you want, though fair warning, I haven't attempted this yet. I've only seen the fight in videos. And from what I understand, there are death beams.

56-8826-2248-3242
Pass: 1234

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How effective is poisoning a monster REALLY? I love my poison hammer but I don't know if it's as effective as I thought.

It varies depending on the monster. Kiranico has the poison damage, duration and resistance for most monsters. For some, it goes a ton of damage and is easily applied. For others, it's a waste. And it depends on the weapon. Most peoples will be better off going for raw damage, like the Hammer. Although for monsters where poison does hit hard and often, weapons that hit a lot, SnS, Dual Blades, etc, can apply it very effectively. Obviously ranged weapons have the easiest time.

There are not enough Gunlances on the world, join our Covenant.

New Gunlancer here, coming from a Hammer / Switch Axe background. I wanted something different in 4U so it wasn't just the same rinse and repeat. 150 hours in now, loving me some Gunlance.. with a bit of SnS mixed in.

Mupod

How effective is poisoning a monster REALLY? I love my poison hammer but I don't know if it's as effective as I thought.

Depends on the monster. Rathian or Iodrome for example it won't do much, but try it on Basarios or Black Gravios. Hammers aren't great at status effects in general, as they're more about fewer big hits than lots of small hits. That said, paralyze hammers can be surprisingly awesome - I've gotten a paralyze - KO - paralyze combo more than once.

PrankT

yep that's what I'm looking for. Awesome.

Knockback prevention kicks ass - you know how everyone hates longsword users because they trip people? That song eliminates it.

Attack boost L is a must on any horn of course. I don't use anything without it.

The real nice thing though is melody duration. I play hunting horn very offensively, so it basically means I never need to play a song to 'rebuff'. Just use that song in your normal attack rotation and you'll never have to worry about it - it extends the duration of all active songs. The crazy shit happens when you're playing with ANOTHER horn user - you extend their songs too.

I've been using the Rinforzato for the time being in G rank. Not the prettiest or strongest, but Attack Up L and Defense Up L have been nice to have in groups. Also being able to give a health boost for someone who carts and wind negate are nice secondary features. The next one I make may be a Dancing Grisdrum, which has Attack Up L and earplugs.

Juraash

v is right

That's G rank though, if he wants to create the GS he needs HR pieces, hence to help others with the Urgent it would appear, yes.

Rats, I guess I'll try offering my services over the next few evenings. Figures it requires a gem to make. I don't see nearly as many people ask for help with him in comparison to Dal.

Thanks for the info though!

PrankT

The point is that the chest piece has better skill points than the waist, so you can "substitute" them by using torso up instead of the waist.

You can use more than 1 torso up so it would work even with your boots workaround (they're not hard to make though?).
The chest has equal or better points in everything compared to the waist & boots that's why you can use torso up instead for both.

You can't create those jewels, they come in excavation gear only.

Thanks. Now to find a torso up waist! The hunt continues.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I guess it's possible I never gave Slicing shots much of a chance in 3U, but I find they're working pretty well for me in single player get getting tails to come off. Although I am just a LBG that fires them rapidly, so that definitely helps.

Godan

Just so you guys know, that player is like one of the best known SnS users in the world. All the weapons have amazing utility if you are at this guy's level with it. Use what you have fun with, be competent, and that's all there is to it.

You mean the youtube video? I didn't watch it as I was in work. Was just saying i think I may change to SnS or go back to my roots from the first MH and go Great Sword just not feeling the Long sword this game.

Mupod

I guess it's possible I never gave Slicing shots most of a chance in 3U, but I find they're working pretty well for me in single player get getting tails to come off. Although I am just a LBG that fires them rapidly, so that definitely helps.

I think the mechanics of slicing shots have changed somewhat. Did they always do the little 'explosion' that Seregios projectiles now have? I noticed this doing the weapon training.

But yeah I never saw the point. If I want a tail I bring a GS, it's coming off one way or the other. I'll check them out when I give the Steve LBG a try which is what I assume you're using.

Prototype

Does the apex seregios Caravan quest show up again? The one that takes place in the Everwood offline?

It's high rank and thought it'd be a nice (and cheesey) way to farm zenith wyvern gems.

Kinsei

Banned
Does the apex seregios Caravan quest show up again? The one that takes place in the Everwood offline?

It's high rank and thought it'd be a nice (and cheesey) way to farm zenith wyvern gems.

Nope. Both the Apex Seregios and the Kushala Daora quests disappear for good.

VandalD

Big thanks to Stylo and Snaco! You two were a huge help. I was completely lost on that Dalamadur fight, so I just followed you around and tried not to die. Seemed to work out!

Mupod

When do you get the ability to meld g-rank charms?

I also realized I had materials to make 3 charmer jewels, and I got a +5 charmer talisman. I could put them in a 3 slot chest and make a crazy ass torso up set to get moving on g-rank charms. The only enduring charm I got so far had +13 flame aura, lol.

tuffy

I think the mechanics of slicing shots have changed somewhat. Did they always do the little 'explosion' that Seregios projectiles now have? I noticed this doing the weapon training.
They used to land, have a slight delay, then "explode" for some slicing damage to the part hit - a bit like a crag shot. But if slicing shot is actually getting tails off in a reasonable number of shots now, that's great news.

Shiina

The thing about status effects in this game is that their application rate (1 in 3, except for the CB's shield thrust which hits twice and applies its status effect every time (making the CB the effectively best status applicator in the game)) works on a per hit basis. So a weapon that hits tons (DB) has the same per-hit application rate as a weapon that doesn't hit very often at all (GS, Hammer, HH), making applying status effects a huge pain in the ass on them.
You apply 10% of your status effect value per application, so take the monster's resistance to that effect and divide it by ten and then by three and you will know how often you have to hit it to trigger the effect for the first time. And then you add the value it increases by to the initial resistance for how long it will take for the second trigger.

Beats

When do you get the ability to meld g-rank charms?

I also realized I had materials to make 3 charmer jewels, and I got a +5 charmer talisman. I could put them in a 3 slot chest and make a crazy ass torso up set to get moving on g-rank charms. The only enduring charm I got so far had +13 flame aura, lol.

I think once you get your first Pure Frenzy Crystal you unlock Juju melding which takes 3 charms of any type and you get some amount of Timeworn and Enduring Charms in the end. You can get the crystals from Frenzied monsters in G-Rank.

Mupod

I think once you get your first Pure Frenzy Crystal you unlock Juju melding which takes 3 charms of any type and you get some amount of Timeworn and Enduring Charms in the end. You can get the crystals from Frenzied monsters in G-Rank.

I've got a frenzied ash kecha caravan quest, I did it but didn't get any fancy pure crystals. I could try that again, or just keep progressing normally and wait for frenzy monsters in guildhall.

On a related note, don't try and shoot ash kecha in the face when his ears are closed. It does fucking nothing! That's kinda my only problem as a gunner - can still be hard to tell when you're hitting a part that isn't a weakpoint. So it took longer than it should have. Should go faster next time, and overall a much more interesting fight as a gunner than regular Kecha who is just helpless.

Update on B. Tigrex:
After 3 Triple Carts, I changed my strategy and got Gravios armor (gemmed with AtkUp M), and got the Sword and Shield from the Rust Shard that gives 520 Dragon element.

Well, I just fought him - stomped him! Woo! 0 carts, had some Mega Potions left, and was able to capture him after 18 minutes. Was a good choice changing things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom