• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overside

Banned
Would love to get some people who are like me, in that our character may randomly stop moving because we just leaped off the couch to stop/pull crayons out of kids noses....

5241-1936-1821

I feel bad for the random people who join my lobbies, because it seems like a lot of times I can never get more than one or two hunts off before I just have to go.

Vuze

And is it better to finish the gathering quests quickly or stick around and use the time to my advantage?
There's no real advantage or disadvantage, do whatever you like. I usually don't bother with gathering quests too much because I always carry a stack of bugnets and pickaxes with me and gather during hunting quests, there are always some gathering spots around :p

squadr0n

There's no real advantage or disadvantage, do whatever you like. I usually don't bother with gathering quests too much because I always carry a stack of bugnets and pickaxes with me and gather during hunting quests, there are always some gathering spots around :p

Thanks I'm still at the beginning and it was the only available quest at that time. I'm almost positive I had the items needed already because like you said, there's always gathering spots. But I didn't have the items on me or atleast didn't notice until I had finished it.

What's worth going after first? My first set of armor or my first upgraded weapon starting out?

PKrockin

Gravios I somewhat agree with you, for ranged weapons. I use a Pierce water bow for him and it's pretty entertaining.
What part do you find entertaining? I use the heavy bowgun on him and all of his attacks are so slow it would be embarrassing to be hit by any of them except the beam sweep. Shoot shoot shoot roll to the side once to dodge beam. Reload shoot shoot roll to the side twice to dodge charge. Shoot reload shoot try to make the 2 frame roll through beam sweep, get hit, heal. Repeat for 10 minutes. The only challenge is getting so bored you stop paying attention to what you're doing. I could do it without getting hit just by gemming in guard up, evasion +2, camping near a ledge, or sheathing every time he faces me but I just want it to be over.

shutko

Neo Member
Should my main goal be landing a super ultra while using the charge blade? Or should I stay in charged shield mode a longer amount of time? I really want to learn how to use it, since all I've ever used throughout 4 was lance, hammer and greatsword.

Finally made my first gunner armor to go with the gun collection of mine. Gravios S, and while i'm sure there were better sets the fashion hunter in me said I want to look like a stormtrooper so there ya go. Gemmed in evasion +1 because I couldn't think of anything else to put in.

Faiz

Should my main goal be landing a super ultra while using the charge blade? Or should I stay in charged shield mode a longer amount of time? I really want to learn how to use it, since all I've ever used throughout 4 was lance, hammer and greatsword.

Generally want to keep your shield charged and avoid ultra.

XaosWolf

I've seen people say it's better to not use the Ultra unless its guaranteed to hit.
You can use the non-Ultra attack instead by pressing Back/Behind you and pressing/spamming X.

I'm still kinda shit at using CB though, so maybe an expert can give better insight.

Yeah I hate Gravios since I'm trying to stick with hammer for now. He was the reason I picked up guns MHFU. I can't even triple pound his head while he's flipped to the ground. My only chance is during his beam and I just hope he doesn't immediately fart.

How do SnS users even deal with him? Garbage range and no attack that doesn't bounce.

Bastos

Really? Charging all the way is so fast that I usually just boom on first reliable chance, then quickly charge up again
The only problem is that you lose the shield buff by doing this, if you need to defend against a heavy hit it'll be hard and painful without it.

Cerity

You can pull back and do the normal burst if you're that cautious. I prefer to spam the windmill charge anyway, I can morph to axe mode, windmill and morph back to sword safely with most monsters.

Fought A.Los about 20 times now, still no ruby and 12 plates. His funky ass zoning attacks create some really wierd situations now and again. In my latest hunt he went to do his poison swoop deal on one of the other players and I jumped and tried to mount him from the side. If his ridiculous movement was any less tight he would have clipped me with his body but I managed to land a hit on his head at a wierd angle and drop him.

Airan

everything is worth keeping, just dump it all in your storage chest! The only vendor trash things are like, small goldenfish and whatever else tells you to sell it in its description.

Keep some s.goldenfish about though, you may need it to craft certain armor pieces.

Seil

Really? Charging all the way is so fast that I usually just boom on first reliable chance, then quickly charge up again

Damage increase to all axe attacks, increased shield power and free phial blasts on guard point and shield thrust. It's far more efficient on your resources to downgrade the ultra burst to a super with back + X and keep your shield boost running. Make use of axe attacks when you can*, use the shield thrust etc. Even though it's pretty easy to get the charges back, in the longterm it's just not as efficient as getting the most out of the buff.

Sure, use the ultra when you have a perfect opportunity, but charging up and unloading over and over just isn't a great idea imo. You could get 5 super bursts out of those 5 phials and still have your shield boost =p

Edit: *primarily the super and second A attack since those are the better axe moves.

PKrockin

Holy crap, I went into this caravan Frenzy Deviljho fight expecting a bloodbath, but he went down in about 12 minutes and I hardly had to heal. What happened? He was a bastard in 3U... did I
git gud?

Yeah I hate Gravios since I'm trying to stick with hammer for now. He was the reason I picked up guns MHFU. I can't even triple pound his head while he's flipped to the ground. My only chance is during his beam and I just hope he doesn't immediately fart.

How do SnS users even deal with him? Garbage range and no attack that doesn't bounce.
Same way they deal with most things, I assume... bombs, traps, status and flashes all day. 12 Large Barrel Bomb+ should be plenty to break the legs.

Volcynika

I did the single player Brachydios urgent quest by the skin of my teeth. Next conversatIon "hay want to fight a frenzied one?" Hellllllllll nah. I need to start getting some of the high rank armor and up my defense. Just need to decide on which one.

Seil

Anyone know how to find a VE ticket? My google-fu has failed to figure it out.

VE tickets come from the gathering hall. I'm not sure what the determining factor for receiving normal and deluxe tickets, it may be HR point related or something so just from doing quests in general. Bronze, Silver, Gold and Cosmic are based primarily on Unity.

You gain Unity when you do quests with people you've exchanged guild cards with. Every 25 unity you earn, you get a ticket. It goes in a cycle, Bronze > Silver > Gold > Cosmic > Bronze. But there's also a grade of sorts. You have to do a certain number of unique quests to unlock each tier. If you aren't eligible for gold, for example, your cycle will reset after getting a silver ticket and you'll get a bronze instead of gold.

Yeah... It's a bit convoluted lol.

la_briola

I'm Silver G-rank, so there isn't much out of my reach ;)
The set you are talking about is probably Gogmazios. I thought about that too, but the arcana skill is not in Athena's ASS, so I need to do the maths for the other skills myself :/

The guild quest was a Teostra around lvl 120.

Some skills have different names in ASS. It's called "Hidden Power".

XaosWolf

Does anyone know if there is any armour set akin to the MHP3rd Mosgharl set?
Those skills were awesome for my High Rank quests.

zogged

VE tickets come from the gathering hall. I'm not sure what the determining factor for receiving normal and deluxe tickets, it may be HR point related or something so just from doing quests in general. Bronze, Silver, Gold and Cosmic are based primarily on Unity.

You gain Unity when you do quests with people you've exchanged guild cards with. Every 25 unity you earn, you get a ticket. It goes in a cycle, Bronze > Silver > Gold > Cosmic > Bronze. But there's also a grade of sorts. You have to do a certain number of unique quests to unlock each tier. If you aren't eligible for gold, for example, your cycle will reset after getting a silver ticket and you'll get a bronze instead of gold.

Yeah... It's a bit convoluted lol.

Ahhhh right, that explains why a lot of people who join the rooms straight up send you their guild cards as soon as they join. Sweet, cheers. Its gonna make getting the seregios dissenters way easier.

Anyone with g crown wanna do the act of gog quest? Really wanna unlock those miralis parts so i can finish my set and doing it with randoms hasn't worked out so far

Tom_Cody

I played my first few online hunts over the weekend. A few questions:

It seems that progress is only made if you are the one to initiate a quest, correct? How do you guys work to progress though? Is there competition between players as to who gets to pick the quest?

I just beat Gore Magala (the first real fight) in the single player and my intention was to venture online to farm its parts. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to take me a week of dirking around online before I will unlock that hunt. Is there a way to join a lobby for a specific mission/monster?

Also, any general advice to someone new to online would be appreciated. And yes, I already know about mounting etiquette.

Leezard

The Najarala Z armor set sure is nice for water LBGs.

It doesn't look bad, either.
d5f6cb265bf2d975cfd1eacda626a94b.png

It seems that progress is only made if you are the one to initiate a quest, correct? How do you guys work to progress though? Is there competition between players as to who gets to pick the quest?

Only for Urgent, and the one responsible for this idea should end inside a Tigrex stomach. The "normal" key missions work if you survive them, whoever initiated them.

I just beat Gore Magala (the first real fight) in the single player and my intention was to venture online to farm its parts. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to take me a week of dirking around online before I will unlock that hunt. Is there a way to join a lobby for a specific mission/monster?

If you have beaten him you should be able to select him in your "target" input box when looking for a room.

Seil

I played my first few online hunts over the weekend. A few questions:

Also, any general advice to someone new to online would be appreciated. And yes, I already know about mounting etiquette.

Only urgents are limited to the claimer, so progress is mostly smooth in groups. You do the key quests then, ideally, everyone sticks around for each others' urgent quest.

If you can get a good group going and have the time, you can actually increase your rank pretty quickly if you just focus on the key quests that are necessary.

Edit: Also Gore Magala is the urgent to reach HR3 in the guild hall, so it's really not very far.

Volcynika

Velociprey S is cool, it can easily give you atk up XL + Autotracker with some gems.

Tetsucabra S is nice if you prefer defence.

Is the Tetsucabra hunt-a-thon quest ones I can hunt for the latter set? They're in the high rank single player stuff, just wanted to make sure.

Tom_Cody

Only for Urgent, and the one responsible for this idea should end inside a Tigrex stomach. The "normal" key missions work if you survive them, whoever initiated them.
Really? That's great! So what is the difference between a key quest and a non key quest? Do urgents and key quests have to be completed to progress through?
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4:_Guild_Quests

If you have beaten him you should be able to select him in your "target" input box when looking for a room.
Awesome. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Edit:

Only urgents are limited to the claimer, so progress is mostly smooth in groups. You do the key quests then, ideally, everyone sticks around for each others' urgent quest.

If you can get a good group going and have the time, you can actually increase your rank pretty quickly if you just focus on the key quests that are necessary.

Edit: Also Gore Magala is the urgent to reach HR3 in the guild hall, so it's really not very far.
Thanks for the response.

Regarding Gore, I just don't have that much free time in a given week. I've been playing since a few days after launch and I only just got to Gore in single player. Still, now that I now that I have this advice, I should be able to move through the online fairly smoothly.

I don't play many games online but, now that I've dipped my toes in the water, I'm sort of annoyed at myself for not moving into the online mode earlier.

Seil

Really? That's great! So what is the difference between a key quest and a non key quest? Do urgents and key quests have to be completed to progress through?
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH4:_Guild_Quests

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/quest/guild

The quests with (Key) next to them are necessary to unlock the next urgent. So they're the most important, others are all optional though they can be required for upgrades to food or the wycoon etc.

Edit: I like kiranico's list since it's compact and to the point lol.

VandalD

Key quests (which are not marked as key quests in-game) unlock urgent quests. Urgent quests tend to raise your Hunter Rank.

tuffy

The D.Mohran HBG any good?
It's all I've been using lately. The attack power of the low and high rank ones are higher than just about anything else in those ranks and it comes with both positive affinity and a defense boost. It's liable to get outclassed in G rank by more specialized guns, but it's the best I have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom