• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Tri G |OT| Dozens of Monsters, Zero Compelling Textures

john tv

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully 4 brings them back.

How's the difficulty Main-esque or Portable-esque? Also how's Plessy's new hitboxes?
I'm still too early to say - Tri's got lots of tutorial stuff to wade through. I'm just now free of it and working my way through the 1 star village quests before heading out and trying some port quests.

Orayn

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully 4 brings them back.

How's the difficulty Main-esque or Portable-esque? Also how's Plessy's new hitboxes?

I found a picture of the old tail hitbox.

byyJ4.png

Luigiv

I'm still too early to say - Tri's got lots of tutorial stuff to wade through. I'm just now free of it and working my way through the 1 star village quests before heading out and trying some port quests.

Fair enough. You at least fought Plesioth in the demo, though. You surely can comment on that, can't you?

I found a picture of the old tail hitbox.

byyJ4.png

Looks about right.

jercruz

is 3G a reinterpretation of Tri's storyline?

that is, earthquake destroyed village. Lagiacrus gets blamed and hunted. then it turns out it was Caedeus' doing.

Even as a guess, are purple sharpness back?

Luigiv

is 3G a reinterpretation of Tri's storyline?

that is, earthquake destroyed village. Lagiacrus gets blamed and hunted. then it turns out it was Caedeus' doing.

Even as a guess, are purple sharpness back?

Yes and Purple sharpness never left in first place (though you needed Sharpness + 1 to get in Tri).

Luigiv

Purple left in MHP3

Oh, fair enough. Well point is, it was already in Tri so it's guaranteed to be in Tri G.

On the topic of purple sharpness, I hope in 4 they swap it with white sharpness. Sure it'll confuse a few people at first but from a colour theory perspective red->orange->yellow->green->blue->purple->white just makes so much more sense.

john tv

So far, so good; I mean, it's basically Tri so far. :) I just got to the first "new" monster (Aoashira), and like Urukususu, he also looks a little better in Tri G.

EDIT: Also, only used it twice so far, but the new target camera option when fighting large monsters seems nice. Pressing L makes you look at the monster, which makes playing w/o a right stick very convenient. Dunno how it'll go with two monsters at once, but for one at least, it seems pretty handy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
With two monsters I think it was shown that you'll also have two "look at" icons in that space, toggling it for each. I think.

I played MHFU by mostly relying on the re-center, this will make it so I don't have to momentarily change my direction toward the monster for re-center to turn toward it.

Though I don't think I'll have issues with the touch d-pad once I adjust the size except perhaps for the water segments until I get a hang of the new behaviour.

Nisa65

So far, so good; I mean, it's basically Tri so far. :) I just got to the first "new" monster (Aoashira), and like Urukususu, he also looks a little better in Tri G.

EDIT: Also, only used it twice so far, but the new target camera option when fighting large monsters seems nice. Pressing L makes you look at the monster, which makes playing w/o a right stick very convenient. Dunno how it'll go with two monsters at once, but for one at least, it seems pretty handy.

When you have two monsters in one area you can switch which one is targeted with the the L button by using the touchscreen. I find myself using it more than the right stick at the moment. It's definitely a welcome addition to the existing controls.

john tv

Sounds good, hope to try it out soon.

BTW, nice to see capture quests again. Weird that they dropped subquests but kept those, but oh well.

Good it is an awesome attachment that I thought would never happen in a million years. I will have one day 1.

Yes, I reckon it may be a nice useful add-on, only thing I could do with some alternative colours to match the consoles; if you have a red, blue or white 3DS I think the Frankenstick may be actually looking much uglier on them, although comfortable.

Alexios

Yes, I reckon it may be a nice add-on, only thing I could do with some alternative colours to match the consoles, if you have a red, blue or white 3DS I think the Frankenstick may be looking even much uglier on them, although comfortable.
Should look alright, don't almost all colors have prominent black areas too, like around the screen? Looks ok on the white there.

Kyoufu

Looks really awkward to use :\

Pretty weird that it's on the same level as the face buttons. Frankenstick indeed.

Alexios

Looks really awkward to use :\

Pretty weird that it's on the same level as the face buttons. Frankenstick indeed.
3DS is smaller than I thought though, thumb shouldn't have to travel as much distance as it seems to in pics to move between the slider and buttons.

ShinNL

I'm so dumb, I didn't understand why the discussion suddenly switched to the frankenstick, but then I saw I completely missed seeing the add-on in the photo :D :lol

Alrus

Finally the real deal! Erm... but it doesn't look very appealing :/

It looks exactly like what we've seen before...

I wonder if they'll ever make a MH specific 3DS just like that PSP that was bundled with MHP3. That one looked mighty fine.

Someone in the MC thread is reporting that MH3G is already sold out, so as for now may we assume it is faring pretty good overall in its first week?

One thing I'm much interested in, and that has been maybe widely overlooked so far - since everybody's main concern is about the graphics: how does MH3G sound compared to MHTri, that had a truly epic soundtrack?

The musics are the same as Tri?
How good is sound quality, are 3DS's speakers up to it?
And playing with a headset on, is it any better?
Does the game support any standards, say Dolby 5.1?

I have just happened to think, should Capcom need to save some space, in order to put extra content in the card without exceeding 4GB limit, I fear they may have compressed audio files, rather than tone down textures, if they had to choose.

I hope that's not the case, a great game such as MH deserves the best sound quality, especially as music in MH emphasizes the most dramatically epic moments of the fights, and more in general is one of the main elements that make this game so great, so involving.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to knowing whether they used a 4 GB card or did they go for something bigger instead.

It's a 2GB card; RE: Rev is going to be the first game to ship on a 4GB card.

No it isn't, it's a 4GB card. Snake Eater 3D was scheduled to be the first, with Revelations being 2nd (that was before we knew about MH3G though and before Snake Eater 3D was delayed)

MH3G is the first 4GB 3DS game (BTW the original Wii version was only 2.9GB, so I doubt that space would really be much of an issue)

It's a 2GB card; RE: Rev is going to be the first game to ship on a 4GB card.

Are you sure, do you know it as a fact, or you're just taking a guess based on what you gather?
I mean, have someone checked for confirmation?

Frankly 2GB seems to me quite a little amount of memory, since this is supposed to be an expanded version of Tri, with much extra content, monsters and scenarios, but admittedly, since it runs on a tiny screen, models and textures should take less space perhaps than the ones on Wii's version, so you may be right as far as I'm concerned, although I am not truly convinced yet.

Sorry people, but what do you mean by... compelling textures ?
Google Translation can't help me.

it's a joke:

Someone in a previous Tri G thread picked out a screenshot of underwater mining and was going on about the graphics and how the "textures weren't compelling."

my search skills have failed me though and i can't find the post in question, although i remember it clearly. the poster was complaining about how awful the "enemy" looked. it was actually the mining point.

ShinNL

it's a joke:

my search skills have failed me though and i can't find the post in question, although i remember it clearly. the poster was complaining about how awful the "enemy" looked. it was actually the mining point.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31617085&postcount=51

ok then. Tell me what is compelling about this:

cUjv4.jpg

The UI that takes up a third of a screen and is composed of ten different aspects? The complete lack of compelling textures? The one crappy enemy on screen? The terrible texture work? Seriously, from that screenshot what makes this anything more than a third rate effort for a second rate publisher? What makes THIS compel you to want to spend $40?

By the way, don't look at the thread if you're not a Sony fanboy. The amount of port begging is vomit worthy.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
LOL the jin ogre subspecies vid was terrible. Guy died almost immediately.

That said, holy shit soo fucking cool.

Jinogre subspecies is crazy hard :(

He has the projectile attack like regular Jin, but they're stationary for about 5 seconds and then they HOME IN ON YOU. :/

He also mixes up his attacks a lot more than regular Jin. He sometimes does the two ground pound attacks and then immediately backs up and dives at you. He does this especially when he's enraged....

Luigiv

No it isn't, it's a 4GB card. Snake Eater 3D was scheduled to be the first, with Revelations being 2nd (that was before we knew about MH3G though and before Snake Eater 3D was delayed)

MH3G is the first 4GB 3DS game (BTW the original Wii version was only 2.9GB, so I doubt that space would really be much of an issue)

MH3G definitely uses a 2GB cart because RER was confirmed by Capcom themselves that it would be the first to use a 4GB cart. It's a bit messy to follow due to MGS3's delay but if we take into consideration the order of events we can clearly see that MH3G can not have a 4GB cart.

1. MGS3 confirmed to be the first game to use a 4GB cart with a November launch.
2. MGS3 was delayed to March.
3. MH3G announced, December release date.
4. RER 4GB cart confirmed.
5. RER January/February release date announced, Capcom claims this will make it first game to use a 4GB cart.

Given that MH and RE are both Capcom games, there isn't a chance in hell that Capcom was mistaken or undercut here.

Give me some time and I'll find Capcoms statement for you (unfortunately Google search is being a bitch and searching "Resident Evil Revlations First 4GB" just floods the first few pages with "First to be $50 because of 4GB" articles).

Edit: And found.
Revelations, the first 3DS game to be on a 4GB cart.
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2011/10/13/52080.html

Top Bottom