• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds’ high PC requirements suddenly make PS5 Pro look more affordable to Japanese players

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
bVmxo5k.png

Amid increasing concerns about the price of PS5s and PS5 Pros, Japanese social media this month has been full of people saying that it would be better to get a gaming PC instead. Japanese PC retailers were quick to capitalize on this with their ads, however the recently revealed high PC specs for Monster Hunter Wilds have caused Japanese social media users to do a U-turn. Now many are reconsidering getting a PS5 or even a PS5 Pro instead, as it would work out cheaper.

This big buzz about the high price point of PS5 consoles began when Sony announced that they would be raising the price of standard PS5s in Japan from September 2 onwards. People scrambled to buy PS5s before the new price went into effect, causing stores to run out. Even Xbox console sales briefly rose at the end of August, probably as a result. Many Japanese reactions to the subsequent unveiling of the PS5 Pro, which is due to go on sale on November 7 for 119,980yen (approx. $830 USD- based on current exchange rates), also centered on how expensive it was and concerns as to how different it will be to a standard PS5.

However, the announcement of the recommended PC specs for Monster Hunter Wilds seems to have changed many peoples’ minds. The Monster Hunter series is highly popular in Japan and Monster Hunter Wilds is one of the key games that is tempting Japanese gamers who have yet to upgrade to a 9th Generation console. However, the PC version has some hefty specs.

Doing the math, users have realized that buying a PC in Japan that’s capable of running Monster Hunter Wilds properly would set them back at least 260,000 yen (nearly $1800 USD). This is making the standard PS5 and even the more powerful PS5 Pro (at just under 120,000yen) suddenly look super affordable in comparison. X users have been expressing amusement at this sudden U-turn in popular opinion.

Post translation: After the PS5 Pro announcement, people were saying:
“Too expensive, lol” “I don’t get what they’ve changed [from the standard PS5].” “It’s like playing spot the difference,” “PC is fine”
However, I laughed after Monster Hunter Wilds recommended specs were announced and they’re like “The best value for money is a PS5 Pro.” and “It won’t run on a mediocre PC so PS5 Pro is good.”

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Do we have confirmation that the Pro will run at 60fps and not use AMD's shitty Frame Gen with worse input lag than the 30fps mode like Wukong?
i hope so, otherwise at least locked at 30fps on the pro.
Im pretty sure base console version would run the game at unstable awful 30fps.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

WTF are they talking about? The whole problem is those requirements are too low by targeting extemely low end experience. Capcom has sneakily only revealed specs for 1080p 30 real fps medium settings and deceptively branded them as recommended, the recommended PC specs are pretty much for potato pcs.

Last edited:

SolidQ

The whole problem is those requirements are too low. Capcom has sneakily only revealed specs for 1080p30fps and deceptively branded them as recommended.
Do you know main GPU base is people, with GPU up 500$? So it's not low for a lot people

T4keD0wN

Do you know main GPU base is people, with GPU up 500$? So it's not low for a lot people
I am well aware GPUs are expensive and obviously worse value proposition than a console, but calling what capcom suggests "high pc specs requirements" is a hell no. 2019 mid-range gpu is in no way a high requirement in 2024. Building a PC that clears the recommended requirement is actually very cheap even relative to consoles purely because Capcoms target is set so sneakily low.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Capcom ineptitude with the re engine is almost cute, almost...

Sayeth the non-programmer...

Seriously, unless you have actual relevant technical experience what grounds do you have to call out anyone else's competence or lack thereof?
You cannot judge workload by simply eyeballing or even worse broad "for this type of game" comparisons.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sayeth the non-programmer...

Seriously, unless you have actual relevant technical experience what grounds do you have to call out anyone else's competence or lack thereof?
You cannot judge workload by simply eyeballing or even worse broad "for this type of game" comparisons.
I don't need to be a dev to know that their last open world game run like shit inside cities while not being an absolute looker, even worse when other open worlds look and run much better while asking the same amount of money.
And all the people who played wilds in the past weeks said that performances are far from optimal, even super giga fanboys like rurikhan that would eat a dick before saying something negative about capcom...

Do people need to be devs to call out devs that release unfinished games with shitty performance? Please...

So yeah, i'm gonna call them inepts unless they prove otherwise, sorry not sorry, stop defending this shit, we are the final clients, we don't need to find excuses for mediocrity, we pay money for this shit, it's not for free, so yeah, i'm gonna definitely judge their output even if i'm not a dev, exactly like people judge musicians, movie directors etc, videogames devs don't get a free pass just because we don't know how hard their job is.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Consoles has always provided great value for the price. Nothing has changed
Wrong.

Add the cost of PS+ or XBL and you get hundreds of dollars extra over the span of a generation, all of which is free on PC. Also game prices on consoles are higher than on PC. It's not so simple and everyone should run their own numbers before they decide (nowadays you can buy a powerful rig and just split the payments via e.g. Klarna).

Sakura

Did they really make an article of a single rando's tweet? How is it evidence of people changing their minds on the PS5? Where are the receipts?
Amid increasing concerns about the price of PS5s and PS5 Pros, Japanese social media this month has been full of people saying that it would be better to get a gaming PC instead. Japanese PC retailers were quick to capitalize on this with their ads
I'm pretty sure the PCs being advertised meet the specs to play MHW. It doesn't even require high specs lol.

GHG

Did they really make an article of a single rando's tweet? How is it evidence of people changing their minds on the PS5? Where are the receipts?

I'm pretty sure the PCs being advertised meet the specs to play MHW. It doesn't even require high specs lol.

Par for the course.

Reactions: Isa

BlackTron

Japanese players are used to play MH games on Nintendo handhelds… Now you think they are going to buy the PS5Pro because performance 😂😂😂, if the game runs, that’s all that matter.

They didn't play Monster Hunter World on Switch. The MH games on Switch didn't run that bad for what they were. This is kind of insulting towards Japanese gamers to say they will so easily accept bad performance.

delishcaek

Neo Member
According to the guy the game runs perfectly at 1080p/30 on a standard PS5, he seems to have played it at TGS.

If it runs perfectly fine at 30fps on a PS5, then a potato PC will run it equally as fine at the same settings. Capcom's recommended spec is literally a PS5 in terms of performance.

If anything Capcom really needs to do a better job with their recommended specs. I have never seen recommended specs for medium settings at 30fps. Like wtf?

They didn't play Monster Hunter World on Switch. The MH games on Switch didn't run that bad for what they were. This is kind of insulting towards Japanese gamers to say they will so easily accept bad performance.
I am talking about 3DS and also PSP MH games…

Sakura

Par for the course.

The quality of articles like these are just so low.
The one linked in the OP particularly annoys me, because within the article, they link their previous article about PC companies trying to capitalise on the high price of PS5/Pro. Within that article, the single tweet they use as evidence (of course it is a single tweet again), is this one:

It's a 119,800 yen PC with a 4060 and 12400.
The recommended specs for MHW is a 4060 and 12400.
Yet, in this new article they say:
However, the announcement of the recommended PC specs for Monster Hunter Wilds seems to have changed many peoples’ minds... Doing the math, users have realized that buying a PC in Japan that’s capable of running Monster Hunter Wilds properly would set them back at least 260,000 yen. This is making the standard PS5 and even the more powerful PS5 Pro (at just under 120,000yen) suddenly look super affordable in comparison.
It literally doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: GHG

RoboFu

One of the green rats
we will see come launch day won't we?

Sound like a made up click bait article.

I mean wouldn't just the regular ps5 be much better value if money was the concern?

and it's not like a ps5 pro will match a high end pc. Plus you can still lower settings on pc.
Yeah click bait article

Last edited:
You want to complain about the PC version? Let’s talk about denuvo. Let’s talk about it being a record high price (in Canada) of $97 for the standard edition.

It does suck that it requires 8GB VRAM, but that was becoming standard three years ago. My 3060 would otherwise fit the recommended.

Once upon a time a Japanese person played Metal Gear on Game Boy Color. Therefore they will take and like MGS Delta on potato pc confirmed.

I guess I figured it out now? Sort of?
What do you think the Japanese market would choose if they have the option? A Switch 2 version or a PS5/PS5 Pro version of the game… Performance is not that important for that market, thats my point.

Last edited:

vkbest

The quality of articles like these are just so low.
The one linked in the OP particularly annoys me, because within the article, they link their previous article about PC companies trying to capitalise on the high price of PS5/Pro. Within that article, the single tweet they use as evidence (of course it is a single tweet again), is this one:

It's a 119,800 yen PC with a 4060 and 12400.
The recommended specs for MHW is a 4060 and 12400.
Yet, in this new article they say:

It literally doesn't make any sense.

They prefer consoles, unless PC give them the same with lower price they will always get a Console over PC.

BlackTron

What do you think the Japanese market would choose if they have the option? A Switch 2 version or a PS5/PS5 Pro version of the game…

They would take the Switch 2 version if it existed. If it existed, it would be an acceptable/playable version. Switch 2 will not be that bad. *I* would probably pick the Switch 2 version.

Again, there is a reason they didn't play Monster Hunter World on Switch. The hardware couldn't handle it therefore they played it somewhere else. If it was a game that ran OK on Switch they would have played it there. I don't see what point you're implying with this question.

Top Bottom