• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Wilds’ high PC requirements suddenly make PS5 Pro look more affordable to Japanese players

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
native pixels no longer relevant.
AI Upscaling is the future.
AI can't do miracles (yet), upscaling to such heights from such lows will always produce a shit result.

Hopefully those requirements are bullshit and it runs and looks nice everywhere but, based on the trailers and DD2's performance (another RE Engine open world game) I'm not too optimistic.

Cyberpunkd

This is kind of insulting towards Japanese gamers to say they will so easily accept bad performance.
TBH with Switch popularity in Japan and how games run on it...

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
AI can't do miracles (yet), upscaling to such heights from such lows will always produce a shit result.

Hopefully those requirements are bullshit and it runs and looks nice everywhere but, based on the trailers and DD2's performance (another RE Engine open world game) I'm not too optimistic.
imagine you no longer need 4k native pixels on the screen, just native1080p with advance AI upscaling.
I can see that happening in the near future, thats why Sony is investing in their own patented PSSR on the PRO, its a stepping stone for the ps6 and beyond.

Hopefully this will wipe out 30fps nonsense on console next gen.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Lol scrubs with scrub tier pcs....then they go on steam review bashing the game. Buy a 4080/4090 already and relax and play. If not, get a job. Easy .

Will be buying ps5 pro in dec

They would take the Switch 2 version if it existed. If it existed, it would be an acceptable/playable version. Switch 2 will not be that bad. *I* would probably pick the Switch 2 version.

Again, there is a reason they didn't play Monster Hunter World on Switch. The hardware couldn't handle it therefore they played it somewhere else. If it was a game that ran OK on Switch they would have played it there. I don't see what point you're implying with this question.
You are proving my point then… In this case they have the base PS5 version, so OP stating that the PS5 Pro is some kind of savior for the Japan market because “PC Specs” is a ridiculous take.

BlackTron

TBH with Switch popularity in Japan and how games run on it...
You are proving my point then… In this case they have the base PS5 version, so OP stating that the PS5 Pro is some kind of savior for the Japan market because “PC Specs” is a ridiculous take.
Switch is small, portable and affordable in a place they don't have much space, a shitty economy, and everyone uses the subway. Aside from which the market is already saturated, everybody has one. I think it's lame to say they are playing Monster Hunter on Switch just because they have no standards-and if they DID have standards, they would play it on PS5 instead. They're getting something else on Switch- like the ability to afford and have time for it.

I think that if Monster Hunter World were forced onto Switch (I don't think it can be, but if they did) they wouldn't suddenly go back to N64 standards, it would be rejected. In other words I'm saying the popular Switch games are playable on the spec, and standards exist. I really don't think nobody can tell the difference and don't even care. Many of those dudes are probably dying for Switch 2 at this point, and don't want a crappy experience.

I've only really proved your point if this MH comes to Switch 2 but runs like a N64 game. If they eat it up then yeah, no standards. If it runs like the other portable MH games or better it doesn't really prove anything because they're playable for what they are and the alternatives are crazy expensive. But they love Monster Hunter so if the choice comes down to N64 or buy a PS5, I think they would get desperate and start to pinch pennies, get creative to afford one.

Last edited:
Switch is small, portable and affordable in a place they don't have much space, a shitty economy, and everyone uses the subway. Aside from which the market is already saturated, everybody has one. I think it's lame to say they are playing Monster Hunter on Switch just because they have no standards-and if they DID have standards, they would play it on PS5 instead. They're getting something else on Switch- like the ability to afford and have time for it.

I think that if Monster Hunter World were forced onto Switch (I don't think it can be, but if they did) they wouldn't suddenly go back to N64 standards, it would be rejected. In other words I'm saying the popular Switch games are playable on the spec, and standards exist. I really don't think nobody can tell the difference and don't even care. Many of those dudes are probably dying for Switch 2 at this point, and don't want a crappy experience.

I've only really proved your point if this MH comes to Switch 2 but runs like a N64 game. If they eat it up then yeah, no standards. If it runs like the other portable MH games or better it doesn't really prove anything because they're playable for what they are and the alternatives are crazy expensive. But they love Monster Hunter so if the choice comes down to N64 or buy a PS5, I think they would get desperate and start to pinch pennies, get creative to afford one.
They don’t care about specs… And there’s nothing wrong about that. We already had and example with the PS4 Pro and MHW.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
imagine you no longer need 4k native pixels on the screen, just native1080p with advance AI upscaling.
I can see that happening in the near future, thats why Sony is investing in their own patented PSSR on the PRO, its a stepping stone for the ps6 and beyond.
Not really the near future but the present. DLSS already is capable of producing a more than decent 4K image from 1080p. 720p is too low tho, that would look like shit I bet.

I'm happy that consoles are starting to get this stuff and Sony did the right move with their investment on PSSR. Hopefully Nintendo takes notice and gives something similar (if not just DLSS) for their next console. Some Switch games look can look GREAT when emulated at 4K but not near as good on the actual console, something that could be easily fixed by the use of AI reconstruction.

Hopefully this will wipe out 30fps nonsense on console next gen.
I hope so too! 30fps should be a thing of the past, specially now with AI upscaling + frame gen.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

If they're using the same engine World used, i can see why. MHW was awful at keeping a proper steady framerate and was generally just poor on the CPU side, thus them requiring frame gen. Add denuvo to the equation and you have these specs.

TintoConCasera

If they're using the same engine World used, i can see why. MHW was awful at keeping a proper steady framerate and was generally just poor on the CPU side, thus them requiring frame gen. Add denuvo to the equation and you have these specs.
Nah. World was MT Framework and Wilds is RE Engine. Based on my experience with Dragon's Dogma 2 I'd say it's not quite suited for open world games.

SaintALia

Am I missing something here? Those PC specs are hardly high.
Yeah for real.

Ryzen 5600 is around $130 USD, you can find a 2070s for $200 USD and under on ebay or an Intel Arc770 for around the same price, around $50 USD for 32GB of ram, the rest of your components you can dial in for less than 150 USD, sans the monitor, or maybe you want a really good power supply.

FeralEcho

Channel 9 Mark GIF by The Block

At least for me...

All the Pro did was convince me to sell my PS5 and invest in a high end PC. Is it more expensive? Yes,but on the PC scene I get:

-higher settings,higher resolution,higher fps
-the entire spectrum of the emulation scene from retro stuff like NES up to stuff like even the PS3 or Switch in 4k and higher fps
-older multiplatform games that are not on PS5 or PS4 but are still on Steam.
-Xbox games that are not on Playstation
-PC games that are not on Playstation like Starcraft or Half-Life and the like
-Mods

So I don't think many people are now dissuaded from PC gaming because of the Pro of all things lol and this is coming from someone who's owned all PS consoles until now but I'm going PC starting this gen,only keeping my PS4 Pro for Bloodborne and the other exclusives and my PS3,PS2,PS1,Switch for whenever some game on emulation isn't working properly and need to play the original.

If I'm able to do that as a longtime PS fan do you really think the japanese who have shown very little interest for PS5 so far will suddenly change their tune because of one game?

Kasane89

Neo Member
Aha, dont they realize the Pro aint it either? Dragons Dogma 2 still doesnt run at 60fps so wont Wilds either. But yeah, justify paying close to 1k and still not able to run at 60 for the game you bought it for. just pure comedy

TintoConCasera

Aha, dont they realize the Pro aint it either? Dragons Dogma 2 still doesnt run at 60fps so wont Wilds either. But yeah, justify paying close to 1k and still not able to run at 60 for the game you bought it for. just pure comedy
I think wilds has a chance of running at 60 even if Dogma 2 doesn't. That game has framedrops in the city which is a clusterfuck of poorly optimized NPCs. If Wilds doesn't have anyhing like that it might be fine on the Pro and run better than DD2 on PC.

FeralEcho

I think wilds has a chance of running at 60 even if Dogma 2 doesn't. That game has framedrops in the city which is a clusterfuck of poorly optimized NPCs. If Wilds doesn't have anyhing like that it might be fine on the Pro and run better than DD2 on PC.
I think it's just the RE engine that's absolutely terrible for open world games,I don't think Wilds will fare THAT much better, it's already looking sluggish in some shots in the trailers.

I much prefer MT Framework than the RE engine even if it looks incredible in the Resident Evil games. They should've improved MT Framework and used that instead for open world games. World still looks incredible even now whereas for me Wilds looks a bit off...

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
only keeping my PS4 Pro for Bloodborne and the other exclusives
The entirety of your post is impeccable, aside from this.
Unless you also own P.T. not using your PS5 as a playing machine for those PS4 games not on PC would be an obvious mistake.

Things like DriveClub, Uncharted Trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 3, Gravity Rush etc. are okay on PS4 Pro, assuming you can somehow manage the absolutely deafening noise (which isn't possible after getting used to pure silence) and much longer load times, but many others like the inFAMOUS games, Last Guardian, Killzone SF and the likes running 30-40fps unlocked on PS4 are locked 60fps on PS5 while keeping the PS4 Pro improvements over base PS4, and it obviously makes a big difference.

If not for P.T. my PS4 Pro would be long gone as PS5 is unquestionably the best "PS4 to own". And you'd obviously also get the current-gen stuff either releasing later on PC, in case you want to play them sooner, or those not releasing at all which isn't something to rule out entirely.

There's also other things, like much easier access to 1.00 versions on disc in the eventuality of them being the better/uncompromised ones, but isn't as big of a deal and only concerns few titles.

FeralEcho

The entirety of your post is impeccable, aside from this.
Unless you also own P.T. not using your PS5 as a playing machine for those PS4 games not on PC would be an obvious mistake.

Things like DriveClub, Uncharted Trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 3, Gravity Rush etc. are okay on PS4 Pro, assuming you can somehow manage the absolutely deafening noise (which isn't possible after getting used to pure silence) and much longer load times, but many others like the inFAMOUS games, Last Guardian, Killzone SF and the likes running 30-40fps unlocked on PS4 are locked 60fps on PS5 while keeping the PS4 Pro improvements over base PS4, and it obviously makes a big difference.

If not for P.T. my PS4 Pro would be long gone as PS5 is unquestionably the best "PS4 to own". And you'd obviously also get the current-gen stuff either releasing later on PC, in case you want to play them sooner, or those not releasing at all which isn't something to rule out entirely.

There's also other things, like much easier access to 1.00 versions on disc in the eventuality of them being the better/uncompromised ones, but isn't as big of a deal and only concerns few titles.
It's more that I'll get more money for selling my PS5 physical game collection(all the multiplatform I got over the years that I'll rebuy on Steam)and the console itself rather than the PS4 Pro. That's the only reason.

Obviously I'd get more enjoyment out of quite a couple of PS4 exclusives on the PS5 instead but I'd rather have more money in my pocket for rebuilding my collection on PC than playing 10 or so exclusives at better performance.

Vick

Gold Member
It's more that I'll get more money for selling my PS5 physical game collection(all the multiplatform I got over the years that I'll rebuy on Steam)and the console itself rather than the PS4 Pro. That's the only reason.

Obviously I'd get more enjoyment out of quite a couple of PS4 exclusives on the PS5 instead but I'd rather have more money in my pocket for rebuilding my collection on PC than playing 10 or so exclusives at better performance.
And that's totally understandable.

Am I missing something here? Those PC specs are hardly high.
The recommended specs are for 1080p / 60 with frame gen enabled and only medium details
This translates to 900p-1440p~ish DRSed 30fps in quality mode on the base console for a game that`s lightyears away from the graphical quality of something like HFW which itself was "only" a crossgen effort.
Or in other words, the base consoleros will once again be presented with the choice between 30fps with good IQ or 60fps with vaseline smeared across the screen if those specs hold true and are not only due to garbage optimization.

Last edited:

HogIsland

PS5 Pro doesn't have framegen, right? has it been confirmed anywhere that wilds will run at 60 on the pro? seems like a bs thread to me.

Zacfoldor

Wow I can't wait for my pro.

Copium all you want PC and Vanilla bros, but it is very clear that any game with a pro patch(like all games released from now on, right?) will be better on Pro than PS5 and many of them will have fps increases(as if IQ didn't matter).

There is no discussion to be had really. PS5 Pro will upgrade Wilds, just a matter of how much. Unless the vanilla version is absolutely terrible(this is Capcom, it won't be), it stands to reason the Pro version is going to be pretty good.

Will vanilla only run at 30 while pro version runs at 40, 45, or 60? To be determined. I read Dragons Dogma II is going to be near 60fps on the pro while it is not on vanilla PS5 but not sure that is even true either, we will just have to wait and see. However, if you think games on vanilla PS5 and pro will be the same so you can save your money....well....good luck.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow I can't wait for my pro.

Copium all you want PC and Vanilla bros, but it is very clear that any game with a pro patch(like all games released from now on, right?) will be better on Pro than PS5 and many of them will have fps increases(as if IQ didn't matter).

There is no discussion to be had really. PS5 Pro will upgrade Wilds, just a matter of how much. Unless the vanilla version is absolutely terrible(this is Capcom, it won't be), it stands to reason the Pro version is going to be pretty good.

Will vanilla only run at 30 while pro version runs at 40, 45, or 60? To be determined. I read Dragons Dogma II is going to be near 60fps on the pro while it is not on vanilla PS5 but not sure that is even true either, we will just have to wait and see. However, if you think games on vanilla PS5 and pro will be the same so you can save your money....well....good luck.
IMG_0779.png

ok

Nickolaidas

WTF are they talking about? The whole problem is those requirements are too low by targeting extemely low end experience. Capcom has sneakily only revealed specs for 1080p 30 real fps medium settings and deceptively branded them as recommended, the recommended PC specs are pretty much for potato pcs.
Me reading this with my 4060 Ti 8GB

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
“Japanese players” lol

The only specs revealed for 60fps were low end GPUs, so $1800 came out of someone’s ass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom