• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World |OT| Where The Wild Things Are

70+ dam hours later and I finally got my full
Xeno'jiiva
Alpha Set and my Bow maxed out to rarity 8.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Any advice for the best weapon to kill the Anjanath? Of our group one my friends managed to solo it, and I got close with the bone kinsect glaive. I suck at using the bows so I'd prefer melee.

I should mention the only reason why I feel I got close before it dug away is because it got into a fight with king asshat (Rathalos) And It kept getting in potshots during the scuffle

Last edited:
Any advice for the best weapon to kill the Anjanath? Of our group one my friends managed to solo it, and I got close with the bone kinsect glaive. I suck at using the bows so I'd prefer melee.

Honestly I find just using the weapon you have the best or most experience with is the best choice. I prefer Bow now personally because it's easy to do a lot of damage and also stay far back. I managed to solo Negrigante the first time I ever fought him using a longsword. You can try and experiment around but I don't feel like there's a standard go to weapon for everyone. All of them are different and vary by your playstyle.

If you really want maybe try switchaxe and see how that goes.

Last edited:
I was using the switchaxe until high rank then moved onto the longsword. Once I could make a good end game Bow I switched to that.

Today has been filled with many failed attempts at helping people with Teostra. I find it hilarious that most people have nergigante down, but when tackling Teostra? We get carts within 10 minutes xD

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is there MH:W 101 anywhere? W

What should I be doing in between quests? Should I be going out and exploring and farming the monsters I have already beaten?

How do I level up?

Is there MH:W 101 anywhere? W

What should I be doing in between quests? Should I be going out and exploring and farming the monsters I have already beaten?

How do I level up?

The main quest line is what will level up your HR. The way I've always approached this game since the first on PS2 is progress through a couple of primary quests, and then decide a good point to make armor/weapons from certain enemies. Then you typically rinse and repeat so you aren't always to low on defense or damage going forward. Make sure to check the stats on the armor and always use those spheres to upgrade your armor until you get a new set. I ended up making about 5-6 full sets of armor before my final set that I just made yesterday. I would also suggest experimenting with different weapons because I changed my primary weapon three times before I beat the game.

Also don't be afraid to do some of those optional quests because they upgrade some of the merchants/give you special items you need later on. It's usually indicated by an icon next to the quest name and in the quest description it will typically tell you what you will get. Some quests give you extra botanical slots for farming and it's highly needed for some of the later end game bosses once you start running through honey/flashbugs/etc. alot.

Last edited:
Also if people have questions I have no problem answering them. I've pretty much finished everything I wanted to with this game so I'm just sort of doing random collecting at this point.

Peroroncino

Finally put together some of the clips I've been recording at random throughout my playthrough, looking back at it, man does this game provide some sweet, gratifying moments and heaps of fun regardless of whether or not you play solo or coop. Give it a watch if you're bored, it's not MLG material but some of it is pretty cool if I may say so myself, like doing double wedge beetle 'rope' jump straight on monster's back, soooo gooood. :)

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The main quest line is what will level up your HR. The way I've always approached this game since the first on PS2 is progress through a couple of primary quests, and then decide a good point to make armor/weapons from certain enemies. Then you typically rinse and repeat so you aren't always to low on defense or damage going forward. Make sure to check the stats on the armor and always use those spheres to upgrade your armor until you get a new set. I ended up making about 5-6 full sets of armor before my final set that I just made yesterday. I would also suggest experimenting with different weapons because I changed my primary weapon three times before I beat the game.

Also don't be afraid to do some of those optional quests because they upgrade some of the merchants/give you special items you need later on. It's usually indicated by an icon next to the quest name and in the quest description it will typically tell you what you will get. Some quests give you extra botanical slots for farming and it's highly needed for some of the later end game bosses once you start running through honey/flashbugs/etc. alot.

Thanks for the tips.

Codes 208

Theres got to be an easier way to invite friends while on a expedition. I think its BS you cant send them one directly but rather you have start a mission first. Or is there something we're missing?

The main put off i have regarding that are examples such as how last night we put up a simple mission, kill a great jagras, and just as we were about to kill it i got disconnected and when i was able to rejoin the lobby the mission was already over so they were in the expedition so they had to leave and we had to that all over again because i cant join them from there.

-MD-

This is one of the most half-assed coop systems in a game I've seen in awhile, I was under the impression playing online with friends was one of the selling points of this series.

I played like 4 hours last night and maybe 1/4th of that time my buddy was allowed to be in my game.

Codes 208

This is one of the most half-assed coop systems in a game I've seen in awhile, I was under the impression playing online with friends was one of the selling points of this series.

I played like 4 hours last night and maybe 1/4th of that time my buddy was allowed to be in my game.
"4 Player Drop-in co-op" is what it claims. yet we've learn that:
A.) There's currently no way to invite people during a expedition.
B.) You cant join someone who's one or more main missions ahead of you.
C.) You cant join someone who's one or more main missions below you until they've watched the boss's cutscene or some shit.

If I'm wrong, please let me know, this is one of those things I don't want to be right on.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
hahaha yeah the co-op is mind-boggling and frustrating early on. I was pretty annoyed with it, too.

As you progress, the side content is the bulk of the game and the story missions are more sparse, so you can queue together right away for it. Some story missions even let you queue up with friends right from the start, while others make you sniff out the new monster or watch an intro cutscene first. We've been basically just letting the cutscene go, then return from the quest, then queue up with each other from Astera.

All the other grinding we do is is done simply right away, though it is frustrating that you can only do expeditions together by finishing a quest first and then choosing to go back to the camp.

Last edited:

sunnz

I should mention the only reason why I feel I got close before it dug away is because it got into a fight with king asshat (Rathalos) And It kept getting in potshots during the scuffle

I killed him within 2 tries with the kulu glaive spear. I went far enough to even get the water element glaive but struggled even more (6 times ) Bone version seemed slower to me. Aiming for the tail and severing it made it easier.

Hopefully people check this video out and hopefully clear up some confusion. Maybe a mod can edit the first post to include this for more people to see.

WaterAstro

I'm gonna try out HBG. Close range just feels bad for too many things. I saw some cheesy HBG build that I'll try out.

aeroslash

I’m having fun with the game... but having said that, it’s insulting how much easier it is. I’m at level 10 and i haven’t had to repeat a mission once because i died.
In every other MH, just seeing a new monster would make you run. Here you can kill them even without knowing their movements.

noqtic

I thought Breath of the Wild's controls were bad but this game is next level bad.

Still fun but geez.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
finally got my revenge on Rathalos, even if it took even more deaths lol. first try was when I join some random player's session on a hunt for Tobi-Kadachi, and as I was heading towards the area from camp 1 (that player don't have the upper floor camp open yet), I saw Rathalos on the way and so I decided to try my hands on him since I have my bow on this time. got knocked out twice but got him weakened enough to force him back to his nest, but then the mission ended when that other player finished his hunt. later on I put on a fully upgraded set of Anjanath armor and went after Rathalos again but that time ended with with me taking too long and him leaving the area. the last time see me getting knocked out 5 or 6 times at least but I finally took him down. it'll be a real bitch once I actually have to farm him for materials... lol

and yeah, I wish the online/co-op system can be done a little better. my friend was having some difficulty killing Radobaan and I was gonna join him, but turns out he's in Expedition so I can't. definitely hope they fix that.

jowell24

I’m having fun with the game... but having said that, it’s insulting how much easier it is. I’m at level 10 and i haven’t had to repeat a mission once because i died.
In every other MH, just seeing a new monster would make you run. Here you can kill them even without knowing their movements.

Well you've not hit High Rank yet.

jowell24

Finally put together some of the clips I've been recording at random throughout my playthrough, looking back at it, man does this game provide some sweet, gratifying moments and heaps of fun regardless of whether or not you play solo or coop. Give it a watch if you're bored, it's not MLG material but some of it is pretty cool if I may say so myself, like doing double wedge beetle 'rope' jump straight on monster's back, soooo gooood. :)

Watched your video, nice montage. Are you aware that you can aim your Helm Splitter during the jump?

Peroroncino

Watched your video, nice montage. Are you aware that you can aim your Helm Splitter during the jump?

Thanks!

Yeah I know, but when I'm fairly sure I'll hit something I usually don't try to meddle with it because I don't find that aiming too precise tbh.

jowell24

Thanks!

Yeah I know, but when I'm fairly sure I'll hit something I usually don't try to meddle with it because I don't find that aiming too precise tbh.

Something I quite like about the move is that it will also land the attack behind you to (i.e. swing in the sword in the opposite direction of the monster). Let's you pull off the typical anime attack, looking away from the target

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
Anyone know what this "???" timed bounty is?

I'm HR 8 and it's ??? for me too. maybe just need to progress forward more in story?

and if you're HR 8 or above, I discovered that one of the current event hunt is great for farming stuff. it's the event "Flesh Cleaved to Bone". you fight an Odogaron (red panther) and a Radobaan (bone roller) in the arena together. since they would fight each other a lot, you can save some work and effort, especially since if you're good with the Bolder Trap and the Dragonator Trap you can put some major damage in. make sure to disengage and pick up the dropped loots from the broken monster parts. oh, and go fish up some sunfish so you can bring sunfish scales with you. the bleeding debuff from the Odogaron can be very deadly if you don't have the scales to cure you. I got a lot of materials from this and it only takes about 15 to 20 minutes each round once you've familiar yourself with the fight.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
does Diablos only come out during specific weather or something? I've been in the Wildspire Waste over a dozen times now and I've only seen him like 2 or 3 times. went out there earlier for 4 times and didn't find him at all.

WaterAstro

does Diablos only come out during specific weather or something? I've been in the Wildspire Waste over a dozen times now and I've only seen him like 2 or 3 times. went out there earlier for 4 times and didn't find him at all.
When you're looking at the place from the world map, it actually tells you if they will be there. If they're not, you can do something else once and come see if he's there again, or you kill monsters and hope he respawns.

KiteGr

What's wrong with the Anjanath plate?
I've killed and/or captured more than 12 of those things but it doesn't seem to drop! I'm trying to do Investigations with gold rewards for chance at better parts but it still doesn't give me any! What alse can I do? I liked the armor, but it looks like that by the time I'll mange to make it I would have outgrown it!

splattered

First time i came across Diablos he actually crashed a fight with me and the Barroth and one shotted me so I didn't mess with him again. I've progressed a bit in the story, now I'm wearing full Ingot armor level 1 and the Pulsar Bow II , decided to take him on last night and captured him in my first try. Love this game!

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
When you're looking at the place from the world map, it actually tells you if they will be there. If they're not, you can do something else once and come see if he's there again, or you kill monsters and hope he respawns.

I see. thank you.

First time i came across Diablos he actually crashed a fight with me and the Barroth and one shotted me so I didn't mess with him again. I've progressed a bit in the story, now I'm wearing full Ingot armor level 1 and the Pulsar Bow II , decided to take him on last night and captured him in my first try. Love this game!

nice. I'm on similar gear too so shouldn't be a tough fight. I actually fought it once before but it ended up leaving the area before I could land the finishing blow.

What's wrong with the Anjanath plate?
I've killed and/or captured more than 12 of those things but it doesn't seem to drop! I'm trying to do Investigations with gold rewards for chance at better parts but it still doesn't give me any! What alse can I do? I liked the armor, but it looks like that by the time I'll mange to make it I would have outgrown it!

think it's just luck. I got mine on the third hunt I think. but don't sweat over it too much, do the event "Flesh Cleaved to Bone" and farm the Odogaron set instead. easier and faster hunt over all and the set has better defense that Anja set.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I've got to HR7 - when does this Horizon Zero Dawn stuff become available?

if you're at HR 7, then you should be able to do the current one. go to the quest girl and under "Event", you should be able to find a quest call "Lesson of the Wild". it puts you in the arena with a Tzitzi (the raptor thing with the flash ability) and a lot of flying Barnos. you need to kill 8 Barnos in there and that's it. if you using melee weapons, you can wait for the Tzitzi use it's flash to drop the Barnos outa the sky and then kill them. or you can bring a bow or bowgun and just shoot them. either way, once you killed 8 Barnos and finish the quest, you'll get 1 or 2 Watcher Lens from it and the ability to forge the Watcher set of Palico equipment, which consists of the Watcher full armor set and the Watcher Grinder weapon. the armor set uses 2 Watcher Lens while the weapon just need 2, so you'll need a total of 3 Lens which means you'll need to do that quest twice. it'll turn your kitty buddy into a Watcher and it's pretty good in the defense department too.

if you want some H:ZD stuff for yourself, you'll have to wait a while thou. that event has not start yet.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I kept putting the HZD event quest off until my palico already had better armor (defense wise) than that set. I might still use since it looks so awesome.

When they showed trailers for the game before it came out, they showed some Megaman armor for the palico too. Is that not out yet?

So far the next cross over event will be for the Ryu outfit. Here's a post on the upcoming event quests (note says PS4 but XB1 should be the same):

MonsterHUnterEventQuests.jpg

robo_qwop

I'm HR 8 and it's ??? for me too. maybe just need to progress forward more in story?

and if you're HR 8 or above, I discovered that one of the current event hunt is great for farming stuff. it's the event "Flesh Cleaved to Bone". you fight an Odogaron (red panther) and a Radobaan (bone roller) in the arena together. since they would fight each other a lot, you can save some work and effort, especially since if you're good with the Bolder Trap and the Dragonator Trap you can put some major damage in. make sure to disengage and pick up the dropped loots from the broken monster parts. oh, and go fish up some sunfish so you can bring sunfish scales with you. the bleeding debuff from the Odogaron can be very deadly if you don't have the scales to cure you. I got a lot of materials from this and it only takes about 15 to 20 minutes each round once you've familiar yourself with the fight.

Apparently, the "???" means its a monster you haven't yet encountered. Spoiler quotes for a monster basically.

Droxcy

Going to be picking this up this week, guys at work keep talking good thing about it. Figured I'd hop on the train and try something new out.

Top Bottom