• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

He says the timer's back.

I like that the HUD is dynamic, too.

If the timer really is back and not just a quirk of the demo, I'm out.

While the number of times it's really been an issue for me outside of G-rank is minimal, I just can't stand it being there. It's never served a purpose beyond pressuring the hunter to be aggressive against the toughest and spongiest monsters, which essentially makes it an anti-tactical system.

For a game that needs big sales in the West to be profitable, time limits ought to be avoided like the plague.

Toxi

Banned

While the number of times it's really been an issue for me outside of G-rank is minimal, I just can't stand it being there. It's never served a purpose beyond pressuring the hunter to be aggressive against the toughest and spongiest monsters, which essentially makes it an anti-tactical system.

For a game that needs big sales in the West to be profitable, time limits ought to be avoided like the plague.
...Then why the fuck is it a deal breaker?

The timer really is pointless. If you can't beat a monstsr in 50 mins you probably are outmatched but I mean if someone wants to just grind it out I dont see why they need to lose all their items and 50 mins of time when they are maybe 3 hits away from victory.

Ryuuga

Banned
I heard the timer is gone and you can continue to free hunt in the area once the mission is completed

ProJared specified the timer being there in his closed demo impressions. My understanding is that it'd still be timed, but you can choose to dick around should you have time remaining once completing the objective. [unconfirmed]

BadWolf

...Then why the fuck is it a deal breaker?

Generally speaking people don't like timers in games.

Look at Lightning Returns, it often gets hate for it's timer despite it giving you more than enough time to finish the game and then some. People also weren't fans of a timer being introduced to Bloody Palace in DMC4.

Kyoufu

I too find the timer to be pointless as well. Never saw the point of it. Also 25 minutes is less than the 50 minutes or however long it is in current MH games, not that it'll affect me but it just means I can't take my time as much.

Small complaint in the end.

Hybris

Happy the timer is staying since that means the quest clear time recording is staying. Timing out was never an issue, 50 minutes is an insanely long time for 99% of quests.

I too find the timer to be pointless as well. Never saw the point of it. Also 25 minutes is less than the 50 minutes or however long it is in current MH games, not that it'll affect me but it just means I can't take my time as much.

It'll only be 25 minutes for the demo I assume. Pretty sure the demos they released for the other games had much shorter mission times as well.

ilium

Lots of excited people online in both 4U and Generations.

I hope the community stays cool with the influx of new hunters

Kinsei

Banned
Lots of excited people online in both 4U and Generations.

I hope the community stays cool with the influx of new hunters

There will be some jerks like usual but most people are understanding and try to help new players learn the game. Which is now much easier with voice chat than it was for the 3DS games.

ProJared said a 25-minute timer showed up after a quest was accepted, so we're getting mixed information from different sources it seems.

Hmm that seems to be the case

OK im leaning towards the timer still being in but I imagine you dont get bounced immediately back to the hub after finishing the quest if you want to stay and hunt

The timer really is pointless. If you can't beat a monstsr in 50 mins you probably are outmatched but I mean if someone wants to just grind it out I dont see why they need to lose all their items and 50 mins of time when they are maybe 3 hits away from victory.

Exactly.

While I can beat most bosses in a Souls game on my first try and clear most levels in about an hour blind, I love that Souls doesn't judge anyone who can't do that. It doesn't shit on players who got stuck on the Taurus Demon for two hours, or who barely scraped by the tutorial. Nioh doesn't say "Oh, you didn't do that fast or smooth enough," when you claw your way through the steep learning curve of the first real level.

There are some people who might legitimately take more than 50 minutes to beat a Great Jaggi in MH, but would be psyched when they achieved that victory. I think it's really shitty that Capcom, and large parts of the community, react to that by saying "this isn't the game for you."

Essentially, it's a mechanic whose sole purpose is exclusionary. It makes no sense in the context of the game (you have to kill the monster that's destroying our ecosystem, but we'll disqualify you if you take too long!), runs contrary to the notion of a careful, strategic and well-prepared hunter, and actively works as a barrier to an audience that might otherwise latch on to the series.

lyrick

Different quests had different time limits iirc Jhen was only a 30m battle. Most were 50m.

Timers being in gives me at least a little hope that "World" isn't code word for let's dumb this all the way down.

There has to be some kind of fail condition to keep things moving

Either way its rare to ever even have to worry about the time limit

Especially when hunting in groups. The time limits have always been pretty generous

I'm out if something isnt like in the old games

I'm out if something is like in the old games

Kyoufu

Different quests had different time limits iirc Jhen was only a 30m battle. Most were 50m.

Only the large boring "epic" quests were shorter, but if this is just for demo purposes then that's fine.

I mean, i've never hit the time limit but in principle I believe time limits have no place in video games, especially MH.

Again, it's a minor complaint that won't affect me personally.

Exactly.

I can beat most bosses in a Souls game on my first try and clear most levels in about an hour blind, but I love that Souls doesn't judge anyone who can't do that. I love that Nioh doesn't say "Oh, you didn't do that fast or smooth enough."

There are some people who might legitimately take more than 50 minutes to beat a Great Jaggi in MH, but would be psyched when they achieved that victory. I think it's really shitty that Capcom, and large parts of the community, react to that by saying "this isn't the game for you."

Essentially, it's a mechanic whose sole purpose is exclusionary. It makes no sense in the context of the game (you have to kill the monster that's destroying our ecosystem, but we'll disqualify you if you take too long!), runs contrary to the notion of a careful, strategic and well-prepared hunter, and actively works as a barrier to an audience that might otherwise latch on to the series.

Since I will play a large chunk of the online component of MH games solo I prefer if I don't have to time out in G rank. When I'm technically outmatched a lot early in the games because my damage output is probably lower than it should be since I'm skilled enough to wreck most starting to midtier monsters quickly, it's just annoying to continually have to watch the timer.

I am not soloing elder dragons on G rank but anything besides that I usually am fine though sometimes it takes longer. Its annoying enough that I will cap monsters purely to reduce the amount of wasted time. Its just a shit mechanic.

There has to be some kind of fail condition to keep things moving

Either way its rare to ever even have to worry about the time limit

Especially when hunting in groups. The time limits have always been pretty generous

If a team of 4 peole can survive battle of attrition for 50 minutes I really don't see the point of saying "no more". Most people are just going to abandon if they think they will run out of time. Its just a dumb mechanic. It's not severely limiting but it serves no positive purpose.

Ryuuga

Banned
Yeah I'd be fine without time limits. I find myself wanting to explore and gather a bit before initially engaging a large monster. Just do away with paw pass tours and leave the decision up to the players. Maybe make arena challenges timed?

If a team of 4 peole can survive battle of attrition for 50 minutes I really don't see the point of saying "no more". Most people are just going to abandon if they think they will run out of time. Its just a dumb mechanic. It's not severely limiting but it serves no positive purpose.

You just give a pretty good reason why the time limit is useful.

lyrick

You sure want to die on that hill.

The way the producers use the term "World" it's starting to sound to me that it implies whatever it takes to entice western console players to jump on board.

That said:

Timer is good, it keeps people that want to hide on the map and try to normal shot for hours from progressing, it also teaches extremely low DPS turtles to learn how to evade and get aggressive.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah I'd be fine without time limits. I find myself wanting to explore and gather a bit before initially engaging a large monster. Just do away with paw pass tours and leave the decision up to the players. Maybe make arena challenges timed?

They don't even have to give arena challenges hard time limits, they just need to keep the ranking system.

You just give a pretty good reason why the time limit is useful.

Which is what? Most people will abandon? That's not good. If you are left with 1 min and you and a friend are almost done killing a Raging Brachy or Dalamadur, why the fuck do you wanna abandon? You only do it because you lose all your consumables permanently if you don't. Not because you actually think, "oh we def cant handle this".

Even if they just removed it in G rank I would be happy. It's just an awful mechanic.

Which is what? Most people will abandon? That's not good. If you are left with 1 min and you and a friend are almost done killing a Raging Brachy or Dalamadur, why the fuck do you wanna abandon? You only do it because you lose all your consumables permanently if you don't. Not because you actually think, "oh we def cant handle this".

Obviously you can't beat it. Otherwise you wouldn't need to do a battle of attrition, which would mean you could cheese through the game without improving your skills, tactics and team play. Just craft enough consumables.

lyrick

A claim that doesn't get supported by anything coming from the devs.

I'm thinking we interpreted the Glixel interview differently.

I also don't give Capcom an inch of faith, given Dead Rising, Street Fighter V, Ultra Street Fighter 2, the current state of MvCI, and pretty much everything they've done for... well a long time.

Timer is good, it keeps people that want to hide on the map and try to normal shot for hours from progressing, it also teaches extremely low DPS turtles to learn how to evade and get aggressive.

Again, this is an attitude that will fail in the West. Souls and Nioh succeeded because they let players conquer challenges however they wanted to. You want to become a parry God and oneshot everything through raw reflexes? Go for it. Want to slowly plink away with ranged weapons and magic from safety? That's cool too. These games don't care how you beat them, they just give you the resources and let you find your solution.

MH, on the other hand, is the fussy school teacher who marks you wrong on your math test because you solved a problem with a different method than the one she taught you. For a game that wants to broaden the franchises appeal, it's arguably the #1 mechanic that needs to go.

jugo

Neo Member
I've been wanting this ever since I played my first MH game (MH3U) on 3ds. And if Sony/Capcom is pushing this in the west I'm expecting a MH themed ps4. So don't disappoint my Sony because my old ps4 is dying on me.

Poyunch

I actually think it's the opposite. The entirety of the games is moving up in rank in the Hunting Association. You only become that "strategic, well-prepared Hunter if you as the player actually become one.

If you know enough about the mechanics and such you should be able to handle monster within the time limits.

Whenever I time out I just realize I don't have a good enough weapon or the right items for the quest so I make it a point to be better prepared next attempt.

Kyoufu

I've been wanting this ever since I played my first MH game (MH3U) on 3ds. And if Sony/Capcom is pushing this in the west I'm expecting a MH themed ps4. So don't disappoint my Sony because my old ps4 is dying on me.

That'd be an insta-buy for me. Japan should see some bundles for sure.

Obviously you can't beat it. Otherwise you wouldn't need to do a battle of attrition, which would mean you could cheese through the game without improving your skills, tactics and team play. Just craft enough consumables.

Again, not really. Like I said, there are higher level monsters in these games where the HP is just boosted so fucking high its just a battle of attrition anyway to do by yourself or in a group of 2. You can do it but it's just annoying. You do G rank Shah Dalamadur by yourself. Its not that the battle is very hard. Its that its super fucking spongy.

I also reject the idea that time limits damper anything. Did you do Moga Woods in Tri or 3U? No time limit. Life went on. If someone can survive for 50 minutes I am not worried about their ability to play. They either are engaging but cant do enough damage or they didnt spend the whole time fighting. You dont last 50 mins against something in MH if you cant actually survive the encounter. Which at that point I just see it pointless to punish

HeeHo

Timer is a non issue anyway. I hardly even knew it was there.

There was one time in MH3U I fought a Duramboros (sp?) and I exceeded the time limit and failed. One time.

There has also been hunts where so many things went wrong where my team and I had less than 5 minutes to complete the hunt and we barely made it. Made it pretty exciting actually.

I think the timer adds more than we give it credit for.

lyrick

Again, this is an attitude that will fail in the West. Souls and Nioh succeeded because they let players conquer challenges however they wanted to. You want to become a parry God and oneshot everything through raw reflexes? Go for it. Want to slowly plink away with ranged weapons and magic from safety? That's cool too. These games don't care how you beat them, they just give you the resources and let you find your solution.

MH, on the other hand, is the fussy school teacher who marks you wrong on your math test because you solved a problem with a different method than the one she taught you. For a game that wants to broaden the franchises appeal, it's arguably the #1 mechanic that needs to go.

If the players just want to putz around BotW/TES/Minecraft style, they can. It sounds like between quests the player can dick around for as long as they want, wherever they want. If a player wants to progress through a game there should be checkpoints, milestones and the like.

This is actually the first time I've heard the timers being a nuisance in a MH game post Dos. I've always thought they were very generous, even if you do the much harder content solo.

I actually think it's the opposite. The entirety of the games is moving up in rank in the Hunting Association. You only become that "strategic, well-prepared Hunter if you as the player actually become one.

Again, the organization regularly contacts you to handle monsters that are imminent threats to the village. I'd argue that moving up the ranks is secondary to being the savior of the village and keeping people safe.

Even within the lore of the Association, the concept of...

"This dragon has mastered all of the elements and is basically a living natural disaster."
"Lol you couldn't beat it in 50 minutes? Noob."

...just makes them seem like they're either idiots or dicks.

If the players just want to putz around BotW/TES/Minecraft style, they can. It sounds like between quests the player can dick around for as long as they want, wherever they want. If a player wants to progress through a game there should be checkpoints, milestones and the like.

Nobody is arguing against that, but the gateway to those milestones should be determined by the strength of the beast you're hunting, not an arbitrary time limit. It's a very arcadey, gamey mechanic that has long outlived its usefulness.

Roubjon

This is actually the first time I've heard the timers being a nuisance in a MH game post Dos. I've always thought they were very generous, even if you do the much harder content solo.

I think one of the few times I ran out of time was when I was fighting a G Rank Black Gravios alone. What a pain in the ass.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member

If you know enough about the mechanics and such you should be able to handle monster within the time limits.

Whenever I time out I just realize I don't have a good enough weapon or the right items for the quest so I make it a point to be better prepared next attempt.

I agree strongly with this statement. The only instance I can remember of the timer being an impediment was one of the greatest teaching moments of my gameplay: Village Alatreon in 3U.

Village Alatreon is a G rank enemy when you have high rank equipment, and took every ounce of preparation for me in my rank limited gear. Every single time I would get to two carts and time out because I was playing cowardly. I was forced to learn that being evasive and taking obvious safe hits wasn't always going to fly. Being pressed to identify times when I could only attack once or get a full combo off made me a better hunter.

The timer won't be an issue 99% of all hunts, but the 1% it's there for (mostly elder dragons with repel conditions) exist for a reason.

Top Bottom