• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Since this is basically MH5, I wonder what this means for the local multiplayer scene in Japan? Does Capcom plan on reviving the split between portable and console versions after XX? Interesting possibility for the series.

Will probably be the case until they announce another new portable title.

Haven't stepped in this thread in a bit. Have they confirmed that Generations hunting styles will be in?

Defuser

Since this is basically MH5, I wonder what this means for the local multiplayer scene in Japan? Does Capcom plan on reviving the split between portable and console versions after XX? Interesting possibility for the series.

They done it before.

MHTri - Wii
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd - PSP.

Ridley327

That comment is a little strange since the portable games have had online play for a while now, and I've rarely run into a situation where vets weren't super helpful to newcomers. Hell, I could probably chalk up half my multiplayer time to showing people the ropes as well as helping them progress through the lower ranks, even after reaching the likes of high and even G-rank.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, that Tsujimoto quote sounds a bit like nonsense. If you want to evangelize MHW to a friend, you have to take him/her to your Tv and show her the game. Well, this game could use a demo regardless.

But would be nice if we focus on MHW, which is only announced on PS4/XBO and PC (later, sigh). Also, dissing handhelds isn't constructive.

spiritfox

They're not adding online here, they're simply removing the local coop option.

I mean local co-op doesn't really make sense on a non-portable. Even if you have another console next to you you can just join an online game since they're most likely connected to the Internet. It'll suck for the few people with multiple consoles and no Internet but that segment is so small.

aBarreras

Eh, that Tsujimoto quote sounds a bit like nonsense. If you want to evangelize MHW to a friend, you have to take him/her to your Tv and show her the game.

is a very stupid quote

before you could take your handheld to his house and show him, now if you want to show him you need to take the game with you? your console? he needs to come over?

because sure as hell my friends arent buying a game they might or not like

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
My money is on a Monster Hunter Portable World down the line when the Switch has a bigger install base.

nachum00

Looking forward to this. I always thought I could love this series if it had just a few QOL improvements.
Also not worried about no local co-op, me and my best friend have our ps4s set up in the same room anyway.

Kinsei

Banned
That comment is a little strange since the portable games have had online play for a while now, and I've rarely run into a situation where vets weren't super helpful to newcomers. Hell, I could probably chalk up half my multiplayer time to showing people the ropes as well as helping them progress through the lower ranks, even after reaching the likes of high and even G-rank.

I think he might be referring to the new flare mechanic when he made the worldwide community of veteran hunters comment. I imagine most hunters usually stick to their own ranks when playing with randos. The new flare system might mean a high rank player could be summoned to help a newbie take on their first Great Jagras in low rank.

lyrick

Yeah this only further reinforces the "focusing on the west" rumor that so many said wasn't happening earlier on.

Tsujimoto said:
This led us to look at everything that makes up Monster Hunter, put it all on the table, and think hard about what really works and what really doesn't. Through this, we'll be able to make the series more accessible than ever before. These changes come from the world concept, but in general, they'll make the game more accessible to a wider audience.

Yuya Tokuda: said:
We want to make sure that newcomers don't have the same experience they had with previous Monster Hunter games. We always hear people telling their friends, "Wow, this game is really incredible once you get to grips with it," but their friends just don't have time to research how to play the game. Those people will have a better time with World. We want everybody to have a chance. This is absolutely a multiplayer game, and it's absolutely a Monster Hunter game. But we have to introduce what exactly a Monster Hunter game is to a wider audience now

There is absolutely no question that this title is western audience focused and will be much more "Accessible" for new players.

Nerazar

The only possibility for keeping the franchise relevant in Japan, really. There is a reason that the Switch gets MH in its first year in Japan.

The best case scenario would be some kind of cross-connectivity with MH:5 Portable like gear or whatnot even though the games differ in terms of graphical fidelity or map design.

BadWolf

He's talking about the west, way more people play online on consoles than on handhelds in the west. There's also this:

This is the first simultaneous worldwide release for the game, and the servers are global this time.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I think he might be referring to the new flare mechanic when he made the worldwide community of veteran hunters comment. I imagine most hunters usually stick to their own ranks when playing with randos. The new flare system might mean a high rank player could be summoned to help a newbie take on their first Great Jagras in low rank.

And couldn't before? Don't get me wrong, jump in at any moment makes a lot of sense. It was backwards that you couldn't jump to an already started Hunt. But I would guess that, unless they are your friend, hunters will stick to their ranks as they try to progress.

nachum00

There is absolutely no question that this title is western audience focused and will be much more "Accessible" for new players.
For me this is a good thing. But I feel for the fans. I know if this was the Souls series I'd be super pissed if the games started becoming more accessible.

Ridley327

I don't disagree with the ranks largely preferring to play amongst themselves, but even back on MH1, the player base was always receptive to new blood and was willing to "slum it" in order to gain a new fan. That's remained the case in my experience, even through Generations. I guess it's possible that Tsujimoto genuinely doesn't know how supportive we've been to each other all these years, but it still strikes me as a comment that doesn't have much real world support.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Did y'all read the interview? Accessibility doesn't mean dumbing down and they were quite specific about that. It means QoL improvements and making easier to attract new players. You can do that without compromising the core game for veterans.

Kinsei

Banned
And couldn't before? Don't get me wrong, jump in at any moment makes a lot of sense. It was backwards that you couldn't jump to an already started Hunt. But I would guess that, unless they are your friend, hunters will stick to their ranks as they try to progress.

If you're focused on progressing or farming a specific monster then you probably wouldn't opt in to being summoned via the flare system and instead create groups like past MH games. The flare system seems to be specifically for helping people that are struggling.

Did y'all read the interview? Accessibility doesn't mean dumbing down and they were quite specific about that. It means QoL improvements and making easier to attract new players. You can do that without compromising the core game for veterans.

Yeah, I've read a bunch of stuff since the trailer released and it appears that, for the most part, this is going to play like a traditional MH title. I'm actually pretty excited to see a lot of the QoL changes.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If you're focused on progressing or farming a specific monster then you probably wouldn't opt in to being summoned via the flare system and instead create groups like past MH games. The flare system seems to be specifically for helping people that are struggling.

So, like a Souls thing? I can already see the trolls kitting monsters to struggling players :p .

As someone who has put thousands (yes, more than one) of hours into the series since MH2, thank god. The tedium between hunts was never why I played, nor was needing the wiki to figure out my damage or find that one specific plant that only rarely spawns in areas 3 or 7 of map X. Accessibility is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if the combat and core gameplay loop are left intact (which seems to be the case based on what we're hearing).

There are aspects of MH that people put up with rather than enjoy that could use some modernization.

Qurupeke

They're not adding online here, they're simply removing the local coop option.

But they're not removing local co-op, I don't understand this notion. Traditionally, with the exception of Monster Hunter 4, the new entry in each generation was on a console, focused on online play. They're not bringing XX and that's unfortunate, but I'd be willing to bet that the Portable series isn't dead. To me, it seems like they want to launch this new generation of Monster Hunter and focus on that, but the rumors of "westernization" along with Capcom's inability to handle a simple localization demand, made everything worse. It really sucks for people that got into the series with 3DS' games, as they got three games with local co-op in just a few years, but complaints about lack of co-op have really no place in this thread.

I really have to wonder if people were that erratic when Monster Hunter Tri was announced...

is a very stupid quote

before you could take your handheld to his house and show him, now if you want to show him you need to take the game with you? your console? he needs to come over?

You can shareplay on PS4.

butzopower

proud of his butz
It will be interesting to see if QoL and graphics have been what's actually held the series back in the West. I'm honesty pretty doubtful MHW will do any better than other MH as I just don't think the core gameplay actually clicks with Western audiences for whatever reason, but I will very happy if I'm wrong.

EVIL

My take from the West / East MH approach is

West: Not a lot of people have handhelds compared to consoles or PC's
Solution:
Console Monster hunter focused on playing online remotely which logically spawns a few challenges where in tri on the wii you had a lot of issues getting the game up and running and it all felt very unweildy and unnatural. I remember losing connection or having to find my friends who where in some lobby somewhere and you needed voice com which the wii did not really support to communicate properly (our group used Playstation partychat in the background to talk)

From what I see with MHW they are trying to rethink the online component to facilitate console players. This does not mean that the game will be casual as fuck or less of a monster hunter game. From what I read everything we had before is in but the online component has been revamped to make it easier for people to join friends or have randoms drop in when you find you are in over your head challenging that rathalos. everything has been adjusted to be less unwieldy and more fluid to facilitate people exiting a party or wanting to join you mid play.

East: handheld/mobile is a real cultural thing!
Here you want to be able to locally match up because people play MH in trains. you want to be mobile and because you already group up naturally before its much more of a traditional session based game with time limits. Here the traditional MH setup is ideal, and I understand that a lot of people simply got used to that style of connecting to other players by seeing out MH communities, finding people to play with locally or online and checking wiki pages. But this style does not work for console players who want to play MH for the first time.

I say be supportive of adding millions of new players who get to enjoy a main monster hunter game and have them hooked on the game and culture by removing clumsy and unwieldy aspects of mobile MH style games.

JP_

Banned

Gaming in Japan has evolved too. Online gaming used to be niche but has become normalized over the years. The lack of local MP is not as big of a deal as it would have been in the PSP days.

But at the end of the day, I think it's clear this is a tradeoff.

“There’s a limit to how long something can be continuously developed on the same hardware” -Tsujimoto

Keeping local MP on PS4 would be ideal, but it's pretty clear that, when it comes to moving to PS4, they think the pros outweigh the cons.

F31 Leopard

Hunters can now hunt freely without being held back by the main objective/quest, even if the quest is complete. Hunters can hunt freely without any limits now.

Seems like they decided to integrate Moga Woods/Everwood freehunt aspects as a default for the maps.

The Glixel interview is great. Basically a sort of, "we were limited by Nintendo's underpowered hardware so we went to consoles."

I expect the game to come out on Switch later since this title was in dev before that console was even announced/hinted at but boy am I glad that Capcom decided to ditch the 3DS entirely.

And in the current scenario, Capcom will be porting down rather than having the baseline be the Switch version. Finally, a next-gen, updated MH game free of 240p, underpowered handheld constraints.

Nev

Banned
Not sure about the "casualized" part of it but it doesn't look bad. It's going to be great to finally have a proper sequel with new assets that aren't from PS2. This will be crazy big on PC if they are clever and support Steam Workshop.

PS: Always hilarous to read salty Nintendo fanboys who laughed at Sony fanboys when Capcom took the franchise away from the PSP. Payback I guess.

Garou

The problem is timing and communication to hardcore as well as casual gamers.

Imagine you are Capcom, you have the brand new Monster Hunter World which finally can win over the West, and you have MHXX which is a Deluxe-edition of an existing title which targets the Japanese market and current western fans of the product.

Do you really want to announce those two at the same time and risk having a confusing message towards the market you finally want to appeal to? Capcom said no, the hardcore-fans are pissed, but casual fans now only have to remember the one game that is targeted towards them.

Then a couple of weeks later they can announce XX for the West, the fans will be happy, "Monster Hunter" will make another round through the news-cycle and Capcom can play the "we listen to the fans"-card.

Edit: this was meant to be in the "rough E3"-thread.

PS: Always hilarous to read salty Nintendo fanboys who laughed at Sony fanboys when Capcom took the franchise away from the PSP. Payback I guess.

This is literally so immature. Especially given that MHP3 never got released here so fans who supported the PSP games didn't even get the final game. I swear some of yall.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Pretty much. MH's charm was in playing with other people face to face. To take it everywhere. There's nothing super impressive graphically about World. Put it on a handheld as any option at least.

The you are designing the game around tue constraints of the handheld and the entire reason for using more powerful hardware is nullified. I understand that some people only play handheld ever and like local play, but there are many MH fans like myself who have been waiting for thos patiently for more than a decade.

Just as the series has a place and a purpose on a handheld system, so does it have one on a console or PC so that the dev team can go farther in their ideas and execution than they could with a handheld or wii. There will be another MH on a handheld system, this is certain. Let those loyal fans who have been waiting on this have their moment instead of disparaging them and writing off the series.

Love the look of the new game (minus the fireflies, which I hope we can turn off), but I'm hoping we get MHXX on Switch too. For me it makes no sense NOT to bring MHXX west, as the series has been gaining steam with every release on 3DS. I highly doubt people are going to get confused between the two as they're on completely different platforms and are not coming out at anywhere near the same time. It bothers me that the game which looks like it will require far more localization is getting a day and date release while people who have been long-time fans of the series have been put through the years-long limbos of not knowing whether the games are coming out here at all.

Regardless, people have been asking MonHun to make the switch to HD For a long time, and this one looks better than I thought it would. I'm worried that the switch to HD assets means this game will not have very many large monsters, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Can't wait to see some actual gameplay.

JP_

Banned
People seem to think it's just graphics that are possible on PS4, but Capcom have already come out and said that multiple gameplay features are only possible now that they're no longer limited to 3DS. Seamless zone transitions, better monster AI, and the environmental destruction, to name a few -- you can't just downgrade the graphics to port MHW to weaker machines.

BigEmil

is a very stupid quote

This Switch port begging or what, buh handheld!
Not sure about the "casualized" part of it but it doesn't look bad. It's going to be great to finally have a proper sequel with new assets that aren't from PS2. This will be crazy big on PC if they are clever and support Steam Workshop.

I remember that lol

The Bayonetta 2 players will envy the deaths... eh Monster Hunter World players.

But who wants to play a Call Of Duty with MH skin anyway. ..

Top Bottom