• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
People seem to think it's just graphics that are possible on PS4, but Capcom have already come out and said that multiple gameplay features are only possible now that they're no longer limited to 3DS. Seamless zone transitions, better monster AI, and the environmental destruction, to name a few -- you can't just downgrade the graphics to port MHW to weaker machines.

But none is talking about porting this to the 3DS. Hell, the other threads are mostly about another game in the series, that is currently in production, not being localized. That being made clear, lets focus on MHW.

Do you guys still want arenas for legendary fights, or would like there to have interactions with the environment or other monsters? And while calling for helps sounds like a good idea, I hope some areas retain the epic feeling that comes from difficulty, such as this kind of fights.

ProJared a Youtuber who is a huge fan of the franchise just posted his impressions video and thoughts about the "westernization" of the series in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7nSlD-2wY

He loves it and feels its not dumbed down at all and we should be hyped

Gaijin Hunter essentially feels the same way. It's looking to be a pretty great game.

Also, there are multiple Monster Hunter XX/portable MH-focused threads currently on GAF. I recently made one of them. Maybe we could talk about those topics outside of this thread?

Kyoufu

I don't get that, or all the positive demos are behind closed doors.

The closed door thing I understand. They want to show off the game in a controlled environment to highlight each feature.

But the trailer itself was poor. Nobody would know it's a multiplayer game with that trailer.

I think a good solution is to make a more robust Monster Hunter Arena mode that "hardcore" players can be funnled into. Maybe give the mode some exclusive gear to farm.

Alternatively, any monster killed in the arena gives you one of each of its drops, guaranteed. This way, proper 1v1s are more challenging, but also give specific rewards. Traditional hunts are easier due to increased tactical options, but rewards are subject to the usual RNG.

Kinsei

Banned
ProJared a Youtuber who is a huge fan of the franchise just posted his impressions video and thoughts about the "westernization" of the series in this video:

All of the positive impressions from fans of the series that have seen the demo are doing a lot to put my fears at ease. I think I can safely say I'm excited at this point.

Mupod

The closed door thing I understand. They want to show off the game in a controlled environment to highlight each feature.

But the trailer itself was poor. Nobody would know it's a multiplayer game with that trailer.

I dunno. From the descriptions, they definitely wanted to show off the monster interactions. Maybe without following a certain sequence of events it wouldn't play out properly or break the scripting or whatever.

Hybris

All of the positive impressions from fans of the series that have seen the demo are doing a lot to put my fears at ease. I think I can safely say I'm excited at this point.

I've been pretty anxious about it these past few days, but the info outside of the trailer has been helping a bit. I will never understand why capcom always puts out complete garbage in their trailers. I won't be excited until I see some actual gameplay, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point. As long as the game keeps it's charm and depth in combat I'm good. All the QoL stuff I have heard about are good changes to me, only "QoL" change thing I'm not thrilled about is the moving while using items and healing bit.

Toxi

Banned
Pretty much. MH's charm was in playing with other people face to face. To take it everywhere. There's nothing super impressive graphically about World. Put it on a handheld as any option at least.
I have never played Monster Hunter face-to-face with another person. Ever.

JP_

Banned

First time I'd heard of the Rocksteady Mantle (increase defense, lower knockback). Curious if the old armor system (gems etc) is still there or if they're changing that up with mantles.

Kyoufu

Me neither and I've been playing for thousands of hours over the span of 13 years. Online gaming killed local co-op in the west, but it does suck for those who used it a lot with the handheld games. I wish there was a way for World to please everyone.

Hybris

First time I'd heard of the Rocksteady Mantle (increase defense, lower knockback). Curious if the old armor system (gems etc) is still there or if they're changing that up with mantles.

I can't imagine they would remove the armor skill system. It's really well done, it just needs to be properly explained to new players. That's always been the downfall of it.

Looking back, I don't think the trailer itself was poor at all, considering its the exact same pitch format as MH4. We get a glimpse of how they're spicing things up with combat, implied open maps, and of course, the graphics. It's just that, when you pair the words "Capcom" and "appeal to the west" together, you'd be crazy to not have any red flags. Of course that rumour has been mostly debunked (or changed since then), so all is good.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Any info on whether monsters will have health bars? Anything with combining items still? It's nice to know that the hunter camps serve pretty much the same function, and I actually quite like the idea of being able to switch out weapons mid hunt.

I've been a MonHun fan since Freedom Unite, and I've only managed face to face hunts three times. Two of those were only because I drove down to Capcom's hq for a Monster Hunter community event.

No face to face hunts definitely isn't a feature I'm going to miss terribly. Certainly can't overshadow my hype at seeing a MonHun game take advantage of current hardware.

HeeHo

Same.

Although at my college, I saw a surprising amount of people in my science class busting out their 3DS when Generations came out. I ended up talking to them a bunch about MH but I never actually played with them.

I was really surprised by that actually. They stopped talking about MH when Pokemon came out though.

Raide

When the trailer first dropped, to the hype now, Capcom have done a great job at clawing things back. Thanks to all the people at E3 dropping their thoughts and impressions on GAF too.

Getting more and more excited about it and its ages away!

Kyoufu

Looking back, I don't think the trailer itself was that poor. We get a glimpse of how they're spicing things up with combat, implied open maps, and of course, the graphics. It's just that, when you pair the words "Capcom" and "appeal to the west" together, you'd be crazy to not have any red flags. Of course that rumour has been mostly debunked (or changed since then), so all is good.

As you're unintentionally pointing out right now, that trailer was made for fans of the series who know what the gist is, but it's just really confusing for first timers who have never played Monster Hunter before and there will be a lot of first timers on PS4/XB1/PC, so that's a bad trailer in my eyes.

Hybris

Any info on whether monsters will have health bars? Anything with combining items still? It's nice to know that the hunter camps serve pretty much the same function, and I actually quite like the idea of being able to switch out weapons mid hunt.

No health bars, but damage numbers can be turned on or off. I can see it being useful to tell which parts are best to target. Hopefully the keep the blood splash and extra hitlag of weak parts as well.

Have they touched on how open world it is? Like if you walk far enough you eventually get to the desert or snow areas? Or do you still have to "travel" to them? Also what the end game gonna be like if its drop in co op?

Hopefully the open world is like breath of the wild. And you just dropped in that bitch and gotta work for everything.

heybrian

Neo Member
Pretty much. MH's charm was in playing with other people face to face. To take it everywhere. There's nothing super impressive graphically about World. Put it on a handheld as any option at least.

Absolutely not. I played local because we had no other options. As soon as they let us play it online my group never needed local again.

EVIL

From what I understand you can still buff your armors with gems but those are perm effects. but the mantles are only in effect when you wear the mantle so you can nudge your base modified armor set perks to beef a weakness or to have a certain effect you want while still have your armor stats intact.

JP_

Banned
Wow, so instead of a bug gathering point, you literally see the bug on the ground and pick it up (he mentions blue bitter bug as example). That's pretty cool.

edit: he also confirms lose 3 hunter lives and you fail

Raide

Have they touched on how open world it is? Like if you walk far enough you eventually get to the desert or snow areas? Or do you still have to "travel" to them? Also what the end game gonna be like if its drop in co op?

Hopefully the open world is like breath of the wild. And you just dropped in that bitch and gotta work for everything.

They are still numbered zones but no loading in between. I am guessing similar to MH games where you travel to what is basically an island. Its not MMO style open world.

They are still numbered zones but no loading in between. I am guessing similar to MH games where you travel to what is basically an island. Its not MMO style open world.

Oh, well I guess that aint too bad either. I guess they mean by open world theres no loading? So there will still be a separate town? Or will it be integrated into the areas?

Ryuuga

Banned

No work getting done today!
gif-3.gif

Raide

Oh, well I guess that aint too bad either. I guess they mean by open world theres no loading? So there will still be a separate town? Or will it be integrated into the areas?

Imagine how MH is now in map sections, but its all stitched together. And way bigger.

I think they said there would still be towns etc. Maybe they have the town and link it to the open field hunting areas. I dunno!

I don't see them going full MMO, so expect towns, travelling via boats and those flying monsters in the trailer.

rpmurphy

It sounds more like the maps you're used to except the travel paths/corridors between zones are not just loading screens. There'll probably still be different regions like tundra, volcano, desert, etc. that'll be different maps altogether.

Toxi

Banned
Being able to switch weapons during the hunt is awesome. It feels like they fixed one of the major problems with Moga Woods and the Everwood with just that change.

Imagine how MH is now in map sections, but its all stitched together. And way bigger.

I think they said there would still be towns etc. Maybe they have the town and link it to the open field hunting areas. I dunno!

I don't see them going full MMO, so expect towns, travelling via boats and those flying monsters in the trailer.

It sounds more like the maps you're used to except the travel paths/corridors between zones are not just loading screens. There'll probably still be different regions like tundra, volcano, desert, etc. that'll be different maps altogether.
Sounds good, guess we just need to see more. Finally catching up on "the valuable information" from E3 now.

Kinsei

Banned
Being able to switch weapons during the hunt is awesome. It feels like they fixed one of the major problems with Moga Woods and the Everwood with just that change.

It can also let them do more creative things with part breaks. You might need pierce bullets/arrows to effectively break a monster carapace (kinda like Gravios) and then you could switch to a melee weapon once the weak point is available.

Yeah, hearing positive impressions from ProJared and Gaijinhunter does a lot to allay any doubts I may have had about the game. Capcom may have trouble marketing, but having key fans like these two with a wide community audience hyping it up will go a long way in supporting the game's success.

Simply put, I'm much more likely to trust Gaijinhunter, a content creator who knows the past games so very well and who I've used for game information, than Capcom itself, the company who has screwed up so badly with XX.

Very excited for the 20th stream.

Raide

It can also let them do more creative things with part breaks. You might need pierce bullets/arrows to effectively break a monster carapace (kinda like Gravios) and then you could switch to a melee weapon once the weak point is available.

Yeah, I would imagine something like Barroth would be a good example. Getting the mud off with one element and then swapping to do body damage.

Do you guys still want arenas for legendary fights, or would like there to have interactions with the environment or other monsters? And while calling for helps sounds like a good idea, I hope some areas retain the epic feeling that comes from difficulty, such as this kind of fights.

Mh4u had fights that involved the environment.

Hybris

Mh4u had fights that involved the environment.

Dealing damage to monsters with the environment is new though. We can compare them to dragonators though, so I sort of like the idea. I just hope the hunts aren't scripted for us to use them at a certain time. I hope they do a better job of implementing environmental hazards in this game. They were just annoying in 4th gen. Quicksand, slopes everywhere ugh... it made playing some weapons like the dual blades and hammer unbearable against some monsters.

Oh, and confirmation that it is indeed a dynamic day/night cycle. I wasn't sure with the earlier details, but it's confirmed now (for me at least). Excited about that.

I had to watch hopelessly from the sidelines thanks to an overly cruel wrist slap but I AM HERE

Super pumped for MHW and cannot wait to see more

Top Bottom