• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

I think one of the few times I ran out of time was when I was fighting a G Rank Black Gravios alone. What a pain in the ass.

Well Black Gravios is an awful monster. It does highlight my other issue with the timer though. Monsters like Gravios which wre dumpster fire are more difficult to get people to wanna do. If they are gonna give shitty monster that much health please fucking dont punish me when I gotta do it solo.

Qurupeke

This is actually the first time I've heard the timers being a nuisance in a MH game post Dos. I've always thought they were very generous, even if you do the much harder content solo.

This checks out with my experience. I was only running out of time was when I was trying to do something beyond my capabilities. I don't think timers are crucial, but they make the game more exciting sometimes.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jhen Mohran fights would be completely different without the time limit. Then again Jhen fights do suck, so I'm not sure that's a good argument after all... xD
Fuck if the music isn't amazing though

Kinsei

Banned
Jhen Mohran fights would be completely different without the time limit. Then again Jhen fights do suck, so I'm not sure that's a good argument after all... xD
Fuck if the music isn't amazing though

Assuming timers are gone then any giant elder dragon fights like Jhen will still be timed. It's just instead of a clock in the corner of the screen you'll actually be approaching the city/structure you need to defend throughout the fight.

Just to note, I have 0 issues with the timer staying. I just find it pointless. I don't need a timer to tell me I'm out matched. I just find that soloing content or doing it with minimal help makes the timer issue more highlighted. There are a handful of times I can count where I was constantly timing out.

Its far more controversial but for me if you wanna force people to get their skill up get the fuck rid of key quests. The difference from Tri to 3U in the average quality of a room was atrocious because people just skip monsters and do only key quests where they just get carried.

Mupod

in regards to the timer, I really hope they use the improved monster AI to make some very difficult fights to offset everything they are adding to make the game easier.

for all the shit I see about MH Generations being too easy, I feel like people forget that monster difficulty in the portable games is tuned for 2 players. Tri was balanced around 4, I'd imagine they will do the same for this game as it's online-focused. Or maybe they'll finally implement some kind of dynamic scaling, would make sense if the singleplayer is the same as online.

lyrick

The MHW segment on Capcom Unity started: https://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

Almost the exact same talking points as the other interviews.
- hardware allows for "World" vision
- Not a spin off
- World v 5 naming
- No loading screens between Zones

Community Managers getting the rest of the talking points in:
- interactive Environmental
- Not a Spin off
- Entry to the Mainline series

Maybe they shouldn't have a Capcom Community Manager feeding them the exact same questions

wbEMX

The MHW segment on Capcom Unity started: https://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

DCYvUMaXkAAQhUv.jpg
They can't be for real. xD

The only time I had the timer run out during a hunt is when I had to leave it on for an errand. You can literally cook yourself an omelet and kill your target before 50 minutes are up. 50 minutes is a long time, you can watch 2 episodes of dragonball + commercials in the time for it to beat the hunt. Even if you take only guard plus and evade 3 and play sns, you can still beat a hunt fast enough. Hell, people kill stuff naked for shits and giggles.

The timer is there because there might be a some doofus is wasting your time online or you are outmatched. If you can beat it, you can do it in less than 50 minutes.

I think one of the few times I ran out of time was when I was fighting a G Rank Black Gravios alone. What a pain in the ass.

Black Gravios is a monster I dislike, but it's just like anything else in the game. Prepare for it well, and it should go down pretty fast like anything else in the game.

Sayad

If the timer really is back and not just a quirk of the demo, I'm out.

While the number of times it's really been an issue for me outside of G-rank is minimal, I just can't stand it being there. It's never served a purpose beyond pressuring the hunter to be aggressive against the toughest and spongiest monsters, which essentially makes it an anti-tactical system.

For a game that needs big sales in the West to be profitable, time limits ought to be avoided like the plague.
Lmao, how is a time limit anti-tactical? If any thing, it forces you to tighten up you tactics to get the kill within the time limit!

Someone needs to create a MonHunW talking point bingo card

I think this will be the last time they say it lol. They said:

"World" has several meanings.

1. Monster Hunter is now a worldwide phenomenon apparently.

2. Monster Hunter world is used to describe the living breathing world of this game.

3. Monster Hunter world is the first worldwide launch.

I'm pretty sure they could randomly think of more eventually lol.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If the clock is so bothersome, they should do like WoW and the monster get a boosts after the allocated time, killing you instantly.

Murkas

Rewatched the trailer and just noticed the hunter hop over the log while running away from the T-Rex.

Dunno why but I find it hilarious when it goes with the general MH 'running away from a monster' animation.

Mupod

If you actually think the timer is a total non-issue I'm guessing you don't solo much. Obviously things are gonna die fast with 4 players online in the portable games.

Off the top of my head, memorable timeouts for me in recent years -

- Was rushing through MH3U village when it first came out and trying to fight a high rank Duramboros naked with a low rank hammer didn't go well.
- Just jumped in solo against Dalamadur to see what the fight was about, I had never even seen a picture of the thing. Wasn't expecting to win but good lord it has a lot of hp.
- Tried to solo some high level Dreadking with the wrong weapon. He is an asshole and barely ever touches the ground.

I've had some pretty intense moments due to the timer. Like when my entire group ragequit after 2 deaths early on the first time I fought Alatreon for my urgent. I just fought it with my crap sleep SnS, no bombs, and it fell over dead with under 30 seconds left.

Roubjon

Thats cool that the chaingun hbg is an ammo type, my firend is really pissed about the damage numbers for some reason.

Do I think damage numbers are necessary? No, but I don't think they are harmful. When someone plays the game long enough they'll become useless anyways. It's a good addition that makes the game more accessible, which seems to be what this entire game is aiming for.

I have never played Monster Hunter face-to-face with another person. Ever.
I've convinced my friends to get into the series on multiple occasions, and we maybe manage 1 or 2 group local hunts before they drop it. We like to go out and do shit when we're hanging in person.

I won't miss it. We all have PS4s and PCs. My next task isn't to get them to buy MHW, it's to get them to double dip for the PC release.

Murkas

Off the top of my head, the high I got from the following:

-Beating a G rank Black Diablos in MH2ndG solo with 5 mins left
-Beating The Master's Test in MH4U and killing the Deviljho with 2 mins left and double karting

Was incredible! I'd say keep the timer for things like that alone!

Do I think damage numbers are necessary? No, but I don't think they are harmful. When someone plays the game long enough they'll become useless anyways. It's a good addition that makes the game more accessible, which seems to be what this entire game is aiming for.

I think the damage numbers are a good idea. It's just stupid to look this stuff up online. Most of these things should be easily found within a game as mechanically driven as MH. Once I gather a material on a specifc location it would be great if it logged where and where rank I found it as a collection type thing.

Nothing about looking that stuff online is depth or mechanics. Its just shitty streamlining.

rpmurphy

I think the damage numbers are a good idea. It's just stupid to look this stuff up online. Most of these things should be easily found within a game as mechanically driven as MH. Once I gather a material on a specifc location it would be great if it logged where and where rank I found it as a collection type thing.

Nothing about looking that stuff online is def or mechanics. Its just shitty streamlining.
Yeah, it would be super nice if they'd actually flesh out the in-game monster compendium with useful information like damage type and elemental weaknesses on monster parts.

Hybris

If you actually think the timer is a total non-issue I'm guessing you don't solo much. Obviously things are gonna die fast with 4 players online in the portable games.

Off the top of my head, memorable timeouts for me in recent years -

- Was rushing through MH3U village when it first came out and trying to fight a high rank Duramboros naked with a low rank hammer didn't go well.
- Just jumped in solo against Dalamadur to see what the fight was about, I had never even seen a picture of the thing. Wasn't expecting to win but good lord it has a lot of hp.
- Tried to solo some high level Dreadking with the wrong weapon. He is an asshole and barely ever touches the ground.

I've had some pretty intense moments due to the timer. Like when my entire group ragequit after 2 deaths early on the first time I fought Alatreon for my urgent. I just fought it with my crap sleep SnS, no bombs, and it fell over dead with under 30 seconds left.

I've solo all the content and I haven't timed out since MH3U g rank quests which was my first game. Some cut it within 5 minutes, especially multi hyper monster hunts in Gen, but I enjoy the challenge of optimizing my play against each monster. It makes me a better player and makes hunting more enjoyable.

Yeah, it would be super nice if they'd actually flesh out the in-game monster compendium with useful information like damage type and elemental weaknesses on monster parts.

Yeah this too. In game if you look at the monsters armor it will tell you bit its just a hassle. A lot of the stuff in the series needs streamlining. Easy easy things too.

Kyoufu

If Yuri was hinting at new weapons possibly being added, then my guesses would be Whip and Boomerang.

Whip because it was originally a concept for Monster Hunter but they never went ahead with it.

Boomerang was also a weapon they wanted to add but never got around to it so they just added the disposable items instead.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
If Yuri was hinting at new weapons possibly being added, then my guesses would be Whip and Boomerang.

Whip because it was originally a concept for Monster Hunter but they never went ahead with it.

Boomerang was also a weapon they wanted to add but never got around to it so they just added the disposable items instead.
Prowler kind of had a boomerang. I would actually be glad if they are adding it to normal hunters. I wonder if it could can still get Big Boomerang and if it plays similarly to Prowler's. Would be nice hypothetically

Vuze

I’m so happy this is a thing and it’s coming for PC too. Too bad about the delayed release but at this point that’s to be expected from a Sony money hatted game. Can’t wait for actual gameplay. Seems to be amazing going by hands on reports.

The salt about an extended version of a rehash game not being a priority when they have a worldwide (!) release of a brand new main series title coming up and the accusations of “betrayal” and “backstabbing” will hold me over until then.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I’m so happy this is a thing and it’s coming for PC too. Too bad about the delayed release but at this point that’s to be expected from a Sony money hatted game. Can’t wait for actual gameplay.

The salt about an extended version of a rehash game not being a priority when they have a worldwide (!) release of a brand new main series title coming up and the accusations of “betrayal” and “backstabbing” will hold me over until then.
There is zero indication that this is the case. People need to stop clinging to that 4chan "leak"

And at least my frustration is helping someone I guess :p

Qurupeke

Whip would be awesome. Fitting to Deviljho's female armor as well. :)

I’m so happy this is a thing and it’s coming for PC too. Too bad about the delayed release but at this point that’s to be expected from a Sony money hatted game. Can’t wait for actual gameplay. Seems to be amazing going by hands on reports.

Not sony money hat though its on xbox

Top Bottom