• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

I think some are over thinking the World part. Also, some of the previous MH games had a fee to play. Personally, adding it to World would drastically reduce the number of players getting into it early on.

I have never played a Monster Hunter game and I can guarantee you it will stay this way if I have to pay a fucking fee to play one.

I have never played a Monster Hunter game and I can guarantee you it will stay this way if I have to pay a fucking fee to play one.

They've NEVER had a fee to play outside of Japan. While that's still shitty for the Japanese players, people in this thread are being ridiculous with their reactions.

Ridley327

The way the console games had it was with rotating events every weekend. It was inconvenient to get a specific thing you wanted, but it was also pretty exciting when something unusual like The Phantom Uragaan came around, and you could always find a group for the current event.

I'm aware (like I said earlier, I am a rather seasoned Jhen vet!), but I can't imagine that the amount of content that they give away will be much more than that.

Mupod

you know, the best thing about this move to modern consoles/PC is the share feature/shadowplay. I was previously limited to PSP custom firmware or janky miiverse screenshots. I've never really cared much about the share feature on the PS4 in other games, but with MH I could make video guides and stuff. Also an excuse to start doing crazy speedruns again.

you know, the best thing about this move to modern consoles/PC is the share feature/shadowplay. I was previously limited to PSP custom firmware or janky miiverse screenshots. I've never really cared much about the share feature on the PS4 in other games, but with MH I could make video guides and stuff. Also an excuse to start doing crazy speedruns again.

YES, I was just thinking about this last night. I can finally put Monster Hunter videos on my youtube channel.

I'm definitely putting my first encounter with every single monster up.

AmyS

Damn, lol. Why all the 3s though? 3 Ultimate makes Tri entirely redundant, you can safely ignore it.

A few reasons.

MH Tri is highly regarded, and it was cheap, and also because some people say (if it's true or not, I am not sure) some aspects of the graphics are better in Tri on Wii than MH3U on Wii U, like the polygon meshes / model complexity of the monsters. The reason they give, is MH3U on Wii U was a port of the 3DS version, and so although resolution and textures are better on Wii U at 1080p, the monsters are more complex in Tri. Again, I can't say if that's true or not.

I was reading this thread:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/65811505

character models look a ton better, cleaner details

Textures and most models are better in Tri because this is just a port. However, the lighting, resolution, and textures of the boss monsters* look pretty nice.

Mupod

A few reasons.

MH Tri is highly regarded, and it was cheap, and also because some people say (if it's true or not, I am not sure) some aspects of the graphics are better in Tri on Wii than MH3U on Wii U, like the mesh complexity of the monsters. The reason they give, is MH3U on Wii U was a port of the 3DS version, and so although resolution and textures are better on Wii U at 1080p, the monsters are more complex in Tri. Again, I can't say if that's true or not.

I was reading this thread:

yeah it's true, graphically for sure - has some framerate problems, and obviously doesn't run at 1080p. But there's also some mechanics that didn't carry forward. I can't read through the thread here but one big example is that caves are actually dark in Tri - there was a whole torch lighting mechanic that is pointless in 3U.

I dunno about monsters being more complex, but Barroth definitely got nerfed into the ground after Tri.

I'm really, really curious about how series newcomers and lapsed fans feel about World, as they're the group whose support Capcom absolutely needs to make this the 4 million seller they want it to be.

So far, the only non-fan impressions I could find were on Game Informer, where the consensus was basically "We'll give it another try, but it still looks like Monster Hunter." They felt that the Anjanath fight went on for too long and the monster didn't change enough when being weakened.

I really want this to do well, but I'm worried that Capcom isn't changing up the core formula enough to capture a new audience that isn't used to 20-50 minute fights with stamina/durability/temperature management that have to be repeated frequently for loot.

I'm really, really curious about how series newcomers and lapsed fans feel about World, as they're the group whose support Capcom absolutely needs to make this the 4 million seller they want it to be.

So far, the only non-fan impressions I could find were on Game Informer, where the consensus was basically "We'll give it another try, but it still looks like Monster Hunter." They felt that the Anjanath fight went on for too long and the monster didn't change enough when being weakened.

I really want this to do well, but I'm worried that Capcom isn't changing up the core formula enough to capture a new audience that isn't used to 20-50 minute fights with stamina/durability/temperature management that have to be repeated frequently for loot.

It probably had a lot to do with the demo

clearly the group was using beginner weapons and armor and most teams are likely going to be more built up by the time they get to this fight

I imagine a typical hunt will be roughly the same amount of time

Its also clear that the demo players were mostly goofing around and not playing to the highest level of efficency

It was more about showing the gameplay features than demonstrating a typical hunt

It probably had a lot to do with the demo

clearly the group was using beginner weapons and armor and most teams are likely going to be more built up by the time they get to this fight

I imagine a typical hunt will be roughly the same amount of time

Its also clear that the demo players were mostly goofing around and not playing to the highest level of efficency

It was more about showing the gameplay features than demonstrating a typical hunt

All of this, plus the demo time limit was 25 minutes, and by accounts of people who saw multiple ones, they didn't always take the full 25.

25 minutes which included a bunch of showing off features instead of fighting the target monster.

Clearly focused hunts are going to be a lot faster. Dunno about this whole "OMG IT TAKES 20-50 MINUTES TO DO A HUNT" complaint.

AmyS

yeah it's true, graphically for sure - has some framerate problems, and obviously doesn't run at 1080p. But there's also some mechanics that didn't carry forward. I can't read through the thread here but one big example is that caves are actually dark in Tri - there was a whole torch lighting mechanic that is pointless in 3U.

I dunno about monsters being more complex, but Barroth definitely got nerfed into the ground after Tri.

Hmm. I'd love to see a high quality like for like comparison of Tri vs 3Ul Wii U.

I was excited before. Then I watched that demo, with the parts where the brightness varies to the point where you can't see anything at all. I am beyond hyped now, this looks incredible.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

At this point do we even know how many of those will be in world? They have enviromental traps, enviromental bombs... I have this feeling that logistics will take a major hit.

deim0s

I dunno why the timer is a reason people are complaining about this time. The timer is transparent and generous - if you hit 30 minutes already, it tells you you're doing poorly and/or undergeared.

Imagine stories like "we fought Jho for an hour and a half, it's epic!"

Raide

Expecting it to be the same footage from E3 done again. While it would be great to see some high resolution footage, kinda hoping for something fresh. Some details on how many monsters, G-Rank, DLC etc would be great.

What are the chances of demo/beta test coming later in the year?

What. the game without a doubt had a native 1080p resolution on Wii U.

But yeah there probably isn't a game on 3DS where the average model pushes more than a thousand polygons

I'll love if this game gets crossplay between xb1/pc/switch(if it is coming). No point of mentioning PS4 because Sony isn't doing that.

Why wouldn't there be cross-play with PC as has been the case with PS4 games? Regardless, they've said this game wouldn't have cross-play.

Also, fuck that delay. I was so excited just now. :[

Tbh I only need crossplay with PC because unfortunately a bunch of my friends have decided to get it on PC while I'm on PS4.

That being said I'm pretty sure nobody is getting crossplay, Capcom said this already

Raide

Tbh I only need crossplay with PC because unfortunately a bunch of my friends have decided to get it on PC while I'm on PS4.

That being said I'm pretty sure nobody is getting crossplay, Capcom said this already

Crossplay would be awesome but if it's happening it's probably PC/PS4 or Pc/XB. Shame all 3 enter get together.

Top Bottom