• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Khezu

What's wrong with fatalis? He was a pretty reasonable boss fight using melee weapons.

In the older MH games on PS2 and PSP, Fatalis was a pain to melee. If its leg or tail hit you then you're either killed in one hit or two.

That and there was nothing higher then green sharpness, so unless you got lucky and could his his face, you are going to bounce.

You could use minds eye, but then your attacks would still do less damage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
[snip]
Morrigan, even if you don't listen to them all, this post is for you. That's your homework, gurl.

So I finally listened to all of those and you weren't lying, they are fantastic. I'd love to hear music like that in MHW. These games have legit great soundtracks.

Good taste in OST, friend :)

Kane1345

I finally got around to watching that leaked footage and that combined with the info we have is just, wow! Grinning from ear to ear and my girlfriend was so hyped and excited lol. This is what I wanted from a new generation of Monster Hunter :D Come on 20th!

Apex mechanic might be the most annoying thing ever introduced in the series. All your shit bounces no matter what sharpness unless you hit a specific area or use a temporary buff.

So I finally listened to all of those and you weren't lying, they are fantastic. I'd love to hear music like that in MHW. These games have legit great soundtracks.

Good taste in OST, friend :)
Glad you liked them! Yeah, MH music is quality stuff. Even their side albums can be amazing, like the ethnic sounds one, their tribute albums, and their quirky ones like the brass quintet album.

Right back at ya :)

Behold, Zinogre's theme from the Ethnic Sounds album!

Brachydios's theme from the Brass Quintent album! Extra: the the cooking theme. omg, I fucking love this version. It's adorably infectious.

Nargacuga's theme in jazz form.

All right, I'll try to keep my love of MH music in check for a bit :p.

Ridley327

Apex mechanic might be the most annoying thing ever introduced in the series. All your shit bounces no matter what sharpness unless you hit a specific area or use a temporary buff.

I don't think that Apex hunting was a bad idea in theory, but it adds a lot of busywork to the hunts for a surprisingly meager reward. It's really more for the sake of being able to do it than anything else, which is fine, but not really what most people are looking for in the series. The Everwood G-rank versions of monsters you could get from other players is a lot more worthwhile, I feel.

AmyS

Really looking forward to Monster Hunter World.

Last night I picked up a few of the MH games

* Monster Hunter Tri (Wii, disc only)
* Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS)
* Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U)
* Monster Hunter Generations (bought new)

mVqLIyt.jpg

BlizzKrut

Banned
Glad you liked them! Yeah, MH music is quality stuff. Even their side albums can be amazing, like the ethnic sounds one, their tribute albums, and their quirky ones like the brass quintet album.

Brachydios's theme from the Brass Quintent album! Extra: the the cooking theme. omg, I fucking love this version. It's adorably infectious.

Daily reminder this theme exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45qaAERhrDA (Odibatorasu from Frontier).

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyXeOpj3RWI (Mizutsune from Generations).

And even his one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbw8AJT-ck (Inagami from Frontier).

Really I could listen to MH themes all day, that's a thing they usually don't fail.

Ridley327

Unfortunately, a lot of the value in Tri is long dead, since the servers shut down years ago and locks you out of being able to fight the likes of Deviljho, Jhen Mohran and Alatreon. Thankfully, they are all present and accounted for in 3U and can be fought any time you like, online, locally and solo!

Eolz

Nice haul!

Kyoufu

Is it Tuesday yet? I'm dying to see good quality footage. That leaked video is unwatchable.

Hope they show more weapons too, like Hunting Horn and Lance and I hope they've buffed the latter.

Is it Tuesday yet? I'm dying to see good quality footage. That leaked video is unwatchable.

Hope they show more weapons too, like Hunting Horn and Lance and I hope they've buffed the latter.

Cant come soon enough

Im actually dying to play MH again

Im hoping XX has a japanese demo so I have something to dick around with to quench my hunger

I am working my way through Horizon which certainly tickles the senses

AmyS

Unfortunately, a lot of the value in Tri is long dead, since the servers shut down years ago and locks you out of being able to fight the likes of Deviljho, Jhen Mohran and Alatreon. Thankfully, they are all present and accounted for in 3U and can be fought any time you like, online, locally and solo!

And presumably, that goes for both the 3DS and Wii U versions of MH3U ?

Nice haul!

Thanks!

Ridley327

And presumably, that goes for both the 3DS and Wii U versions of MH3U ?
Not at all! While there's no actual online mode built into the 3DS version (there is an official tunneling app that helps get around that), the Wii U version is still going strong in that regard, and it would be less detrimental if the servers do shut down as all the content in the game is playable solo.

AmyS

Not at all! While there's no actual online mode built into the 3DS version (there is an official tunneling app that helps get around that), the Wii U version is still going strong in that regard, and it would be less detrimental if the servers do shut down as all the content in the game is playable solo.

Actually what I meant was, all the online content from Tri on Wii that's no longer accessible ( by normal means ) is there in 3U on Wii U and 3DS, both online and offline, right?

Ridley327

Actually what I meant was, all the online content from Tri on Wii that's no longer accessible ( by normal means ) is there in 3U on Wii U and 3DS, both online and offline, right?

Yes, that is correct. The single player story was also expanded in 3U to feature some of those monsters as a part of the natural progression. Even Alatreon winds up being the final-final challenge for the story, though unlocking it is a pain in the ass and the fight itself will remind you often of why he used to be exclusive to multiplayer.

roknin

I've been playing 3U with friends weekly, as I missed that game so much.

I can't wait for World, for certain now.

I do believe it is all there. ^_^

While we're on the subject of music, let's talk about Chameleos's theme and how things that happen in-game affect the actual music.

IT FUCKING BECOMES MUFFLED IN-GAME WHEN HE GOES INVISIBLE. HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT. COME ON.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9cFG6Zg4Ro

AmyS

Yes, that is correct. The single player story was also expanded in 3U to feature some of those monsters as a part of the natural progression. Even Alatreon winds up being the final-final challenge for the story, though unlocking it is a pain in the ass and the fight itself will remind you often of why he used to be exclusive to multiplayer.

I do believe it is all there. ^_^

Ah good -- It's never a good feeling when you find out there's content you can't get to because servers get shut down!

Kyoufu

Cant come soon enough

Im actually dying to play MH again

Im hoping XX has a japanese demo so I have something to dick around with to quench my hunger

I am working my way through Horizon which certainly tickles the senses

I'm going to import XX to scratch my MH itch until MHW. I'm so over the 3DS MH games though. Need the new hotness.

Mupod

by the time you play through all that, Monster Hunter World 2 will be out, lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Damn, lol. Why all the 3s though? 3 Ultimate makes Tri entirely redundant, you can safely ignore it.

Ridley327

Ah good -- It's never a good feeling when you find out there's content you can't get to because servers get shut down!

Funny enough, the story mode does have one fight entirely exclusive to it that does not appear in any other mode of play, though it is by far the most boring goddamned thing the game has to offer.

Ceadeus is a great example of how having a cool design doesn't always translate to being a fun monster.

Which one? I have nice memories of playing P3rd with friends thanks to a fan translation but not sure how well it holds solo now.
P3rd is my favourite solo experience except for 4U. Soloing G-rank is a mess, though, imo, so I'm not about that. If you want G-rank for soloing, then obviously it's not the best.

Delio

Anywho since i can now post again I know i was quite worried about any changes they would make to have this fit the west more but after all the impressions and the leaked gameplay im content now. I'll miss having a handheld version to cart around but ah well. Trying to convince a friend to jump in on World with me so i can have a hunting party.

Anywho since i can now post again I know i was quite worried about any changes they would make to have this fit the west more but after all the impressions and the leaked gameplay im content now. I'll miss having a handheld version to cart around but ah well. Trying to convince a friend to jump in on World with me so i can have a hunting party.

Portable isnt totally a lost cause

Depending on the system requirements it may be possible to run this game on various tablets/mini windows consoles and more if they have enough power

I also expect Switch to get a 5th gen entry at some point. The fact that XX even got a port in Japan is a good sign that they are pulling this exclusive to one platform shit again.

Whether or not they localize all the titles going forward.... that needs to change.

Delio

Portable isnt totally a lost cause

Depending on the system requirements it may be possible to run this game on various tablets/mini windows consoles and more if they have enough power

I also expect Switch to get a 5th gen entry at some point. The fact that XX even got a port in Japan is a good sign that they are pulling this exclusive to one platform shit again.

Whether or not they localize all the titles going forward.... that needs to change.

I dont really have a tablet or anything to play it like that. But its fine I will play it on PS4. I do see a lot of people being sure Switch will get a game at some point after XX. I just hope it comes over.

Kyoufu

Tbh I don't think I can go back to playing normal IG without the forward jump from aerial style.

They've added several ways to jump in MHW. Verticality has gotten a boost across the board. I think you'll be OK.

I'm going to miss Adept evade but I realise it made the game a bit too easy at times.

Gbraga

These songs posted here are getting me pretty hyped for this game. I hope it's the same composer.

Don't know shit about Monster Hunter, but this seems like a good place to start.

These songs posted here are getting me pretty hyped for this game. I hope it's the same composer.

Don't know shit about Monster Hunter, but this seems like a good place to start.

If the battle theme that played during the leaked e3 demo was any indication, music will be as godlike as ever.

Too soon I think. It'll be playable for the public for the first time at Gamescom. Expect a demo or a beta closer to the release date.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a demo or beta until January-ish.

I'm glad the styles didn't make it. They made the game too easy for pros and needlessly complex for newcomers. Sounds like there will still be super moves though, so that should be pretty fun.

Prowler mode, though, will be missed.

I want to see the IG, SA, and CB.

JP_

Banned
I'm glad the styles didn't make it. They made the game too easy for pros and needlessly complex for newcomers. Sounds like there will still be super moves though, so that should be pretty fun.

Prowler mode, though, will be missed.

I want to see the IG, SA, and CB.

Only reason I liked Prowler was for resource gathering, which they're already making more convenient in general in MHW, so I'm kind of glad they're cut so I don't have to battle as them.

If true my hype for this game dropped massively. Did this game start development before Generations? I'm just wondering why so many great Generations features are not being implemented.
I'm a man of simple taste, Capcom. Just give me Prowler pls

Not made by the same team. Same reason why you had the actual weapons attack strength in portable 3rd but they went back with the obfuscated numbers in 4.

Grudy

They've added several ways to jump in MHW. Verticality has gotten a boost across the board. I think you'll be OK.

I'm going to miss Adept evade but I realise it made the game a bit too easy at times.

I think just by virtue of being able to aim the kinsect properly will improve the weapon a hundred times over for me. Aerial style will be dearly missed though. You're right about verticality in MH:W too, although I was weary of that grappling hook since I saw it in the trailer. I hope it doesn't make the game too easy or anything.

I keep imagining we can use it to have Attack on Titan style fights though.

Only reason I liked Prowler was for resource gathering, which they're already making more convenient in general in MHW, so I'm kind of glad they're cut so I don't have to battle as them.

Prowler's mix of melee and range gameplay felt very distinct from all the other weapons. It was really fun, they should add it later on in the game even if by an expansion or an updated version of the game. Heck just make the boomerang a new weapon.

JP_

Banned
Prowler's mix of melee and range gameplay felt very distinct from all the other weapons. It was really fun, they should add it later on in the game even if by an expansion or an updated version of the game. Heck just make the boomerang a new weapon.

I dunno... felt shallow compared to the actual weapons. Wouldn't mind if they made a new weapon inspired by it though.

I say keep prowler mode as far away from MH world as you can Capcom. Everyone's worried MH will get dumbed down and that's exactly what prowler mode does to the game. It gives you infinite stamina.

Top Bottom