• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I say keep prowler mode as far away from MH world as you can Capcom. Everyone's worried MH will get dumbed down and that's exactly what prowler mode does to the game. It gives you infinite stamina.

Not really as non experienced players will get the shit kicked out of them regardless of not having to worry about stamina. This is due to the low def and offensive capability. Not to mention they cant use standard items either.

While they may have more lives than a standard player its still not something for novices to try and use as a main way to play the game.

Out of boredom from playing as a human all this time have another data that is 100% cat only in the high rank quests.

The mode is more to make collecting shit a less pain in the ass than it is with a human. Has no real effect on making the game dumbed down.

Just saw the leaked E3 demo and it gave me chill. The moment when the damn was broken and both Rathalos and the pink T-Rex fell down the waterfall along with the hunter was so awesome. I really can't wait for tomorrow demo.

Raide

Just saw the leaked E3 demo and it gave me chill. The moment when the damn was broken and both Rathalos and the pink T-Rex fell down the waterfall along with the hunter was so awesome. I really can't wait for tomorrow demo.

I am super interested in seeing what else they use in the world to help/hinder you in the hunt.

Not only that, but the way he recovered by grappling onto a branch while still in midair.

And it's not like Monster Hunter has fall damage, so this was purely for style.

So goddamn cool.

Macrotus

I'm curious if this has a monthly sub fee.

The only official info I found was an interview where the dev answered, "its the same as previously console versions" to a question asking if theres going to be a monthly sub fee.
Which isn't really clear.

I hope we wouldn't have to pay both PS Plus and a sub fee on top of that.

Grudy

The only official info I found was an interview where the dev answered, "its the same as previously console versions" to a question asking if theres going to be a monthly sub fee.

I'm not sure why you would have that impression but it will most definitely not. None of the previous games had it.

Wait, maybe the MMO did, but that's all the way in China.

Grudy

The PS2 and Wii games had subscription fees in Japan.

:O That's news to me. I didn't play the Wii games but I'd never heard anything about a paid online sub. It would be insane, even suicide, if this game had one.

Why did capcom feel the need to have a sub in Japan? That sounds horrible.

Mengetsu

:O That's news to me. I didn't play the Wii games but I'd never heard anything about a paid online sub. It would be insane, even suicide, if this game had one.

Monster Hunter was at the time was treated like a MMO game in Japan. Also explained the horrible drop rates for plates and jems for armors.

Syril

So it looks like for the PS2 games Capcom had made use of a service called Multi-Matching BB that also powered the online modes for Capcom's other online PS2 games and for the PS2 ports of NeoGeo games that were released in Japan. The subscription for it covered every game that used the service. I don't know what the story was for the Wii games.

Mupod

I liked Prowler mode because I could help lower level players without having to make a million weak gear sets. Yes you could do decent damage with the right kind of boomerang cat but it wasn't like what I would pull off with hbg/hammer. And you could play more of a support role.

If it ever comes back it needs to be expanded a lot though. Their moveset was quite limited.

Fiendcode

So it looks like for the PS2 games Capcom had made use of a service called Multi-Matching BB that also powered the online modes for Capcom's other online PS2 games and for the PS2 ports of NeoGeo games that were released in Japan. The subscription for it covered every game that used the service. I don't know what the story was for the Wii games.
No, the KDDI service for Capcom/SNK's PS2 fighters was separate from the Hunter's License iirc.

Kyoufu

If a game requires a subscription fee then PS+ is no longer required to play the game online.

The biggest hurdle is going to be convincing MH fans in Japan who are interested in a console release to pay a fee again, whether it's Capcom's fees or PS+ when they can get their hunting fix for free on 3DS/Switch already.

Mupod

they've never had a sub fee in NA, would be silly to expect one. But if it meant I didn't have to pay for PS+, and it came with crossplay and cross-save with the PC version I'd be 100% down for that. I'm surely in a tiny minority there though.

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member

Macrotus

The biggest hurdle is going to be convincing MH fans in Japan who are interested in a console release to pay a fee again, whether it's Capcom's fees or PS+ when they can get their hunting fix for free on 3DS/Switch already.

I feel its going to be harder to get people to pay Capcom's fees than PS Plus.
Because with PS Plus, you can also play online with other PS4 games.
But with Capcom's fees, you can only play MHW online.
I'm hoping they go the PS Plus route.

Are we even sure Capcom is gping to revert back to fees for online access on top of Live/Plus?

Seems like overkill

They might just opt to go along with the current AAA model and do dlc, season passes and cosmetic microtransactions like Destiny did

BlizzKrut

Banned
Are we even sure Capcom is gping to revert back to fees for online access on top of Live/Plus?

Seems like overkill

They might just opt to go along with the current AAA model and do dlc, season passes and cosmetic microtransactions like Destiny did

Really doubt they're going to go with a fee in the West, that's just a silly rumour.

Ridley327

On one hand, I can believe the existence of a separate fee in Japan since that sounds like the kind of thing Capcom would do to head off the loss of players that aren't going to go to a console for their Monster Hunter fix in order to make the money that they feel they need to support the game in its home country. On the other hand, I don't think Japanese players are ignorant to the region free capabilities of the PS4, and the idea that the west wouldn't have to pay a fee creates a "separate but equal" division that would erode even more interest. If true, Capcom can certainly try, but there's only one way this story is going to end, and it ain't "happily ever after."

jimmypython

do they still have to pay a fee to play online for MH4/4G/X/XX???

I remember MH/G/2/3 all required an online fee, not sure about the 3DS ones.

Ridley327

do they still have to pay a fee to play online for MH4/4G/X/XX???

I remember MH/G/2/3 all required an online fee, not sure about the 3DS ones.

No fees on any of the 3DS-centric games, but for at least 3U on Wii U, you can thank Nintendo for that since they hosted the servers for Capcom.

Kyoufu

I feel its going to be harder to get people to pay Capcom's fees than PS Plus.
Because with PS Plus, you can also play online with other PS4 games.
But with Capcom's fees, you can only play MHW online.
I'm hoping they go the PS Plus route.

That's true but even then a lot of Japanese reactions to this have been "I don't want to pay for PS+".

If Sony were smart they'd waive the PS+ requirement to get as many people on board as possible.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to pay for PS+ either, that's why is PC for me. But paying a dedicated fee? It would be better than lots of microtransactions, but I would also be skeptical to pick it up.

jimmypython

No,

Just Monster Hunter, MHG, MH2, and MH Tri. Home consoles.

Pretty sure Japan will see it this go-around, not the West though.

No fees on any of the 3DS-centric games, but for at least 3U on Wii U, you can thank Nintendo for that since they hosted the servers for Capcom.

yep make sense. Not sure how PSN and XBL work, but if we have to subscribe to PS+/XBLgold to play online, do they actually have severs for multiplyer games?

FFXIV has their own severs so it doesn't need PS+ to play online. If Capcom wants to set their severs up this way then MHW shouldn't require PS+/XBLgold either.

Also, I still think Capcom should remaster MH2Dos on PS4/XB. It never came out overseas.

Kyoufu

They did for FFXIV, didn't they?

FFXIV uses its own subscription fee so yes, but what I meant was that if there's no Capcom fee for MHW in Japan then Sony should also waive PS+ requirements so that MH fans who are now used to playing MH multiplayer for free can buy into this game with that continued expectation.

Tratorn

FFXIV uses its own subscription fee so yes, but what I meant was that if there's no Capcom fee for MHW in Japan then Sony should also waive PS+ requirements so that MH fans who are now used to playing MH multiplayer for free can buy into this game with that continued expectation.

Of course I would like that as well but how would that be smart though if you're looking at it from Sony's side? To get 500k more MH fans on their console while getting a backslash from all those PS+ users who bought PS+ for playing online and for nothing else?
Other publishers who released games with MP would be mad as well, since they wouldn't understand why their games should be behind a paywall while allowing Capcom to skip the requirement.
They can't skip it just for selected games.

MMOs like FFXIV are another story. Afaik it's written in their PS+ description that you don't need PS+ for that. Neither for paid nor for F2P MMOs.

Kyoufu

Of course I would like that as well but how would that be smart though if you're looking at it from Sony's side? To get 500k more MH fans on their console while getting a backslash from all those PS+ users who bought PS+ for playing online and for nothing else?
Other publishers who released games with MP would be mad as well, since they wouldn't understand why their games should be behind a paywall while allowing Capcom to skip the requirement.
They can't skip it just for selected games.

I understand that they won't for several reasons, including gaining PS+ subscribers in the region, I'm just saying PS+ will be a barrier for MH fans interested in a PS4 version in Japan. It'll have a negative impact on its sales numbers and online community. At the least they should include a free 30 day subscription with every copy imo.

Raide

Wait what ? Hold on guys, why are you all talking about paying a fee ?

I think some are over thinking the World part. Also, some of the previous MH games had a fee to play. Personally, adding it to World would drastically reduce the number of players getting into it early on.

Ridley327

I understand that they won't for several reasons, including gaining PS+ subscribers in the region, I'm just saying PS+ will be a barrier for MH fans interested in a PS4 version in Japan. It'll have a negative impact on its sales numbers and online community. At the least they should include a free 30 day subscription with every copy imo.

I don't think I'd expect much more than that to be done. Capcom has to accept that they're going to have to take their lumps in Japan and hope for the best abroad.

Syril

It looks like this was all a misunderstanding anyway. From Siliconera:
Editor’s Note (4:10pm CT on June 15, 2017): This article has been updated to clarify a phrasing that was used from the Famitsu interview for Monster Hunter: World. Capcom has clarified, and Tsujimoto’s quote was in regard to continued support for the game after launch. Capcom has yet to announce whether Japan or any other region will have a paid subscription for Monster Hunter: World.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/1...ription-fees-least-japan/#iiqkXuYY9qkVdZXv.99

Syril

So, all of the game's content is already in and we have to wait for weekly-to-monthly unlocks to be to access any of it? :D

(this is a thing that is totally not going to occur)
The way the console games had it was with rotating events every weekend. It was inconvenient to get a specific thing you wanted, but it was also pretty exciting when something unusual like The Phantom Uragaan came around, and you could always find a group for the current event.

Rotating events and also the online npc merchants having rotating stock (sometimes selling amazing things on certain days) are great features that I hope return.

Top Bottom