• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster World Collection (Wonder Boy) |OT| Wii - May 10th, XBLA/PSN - May 23rd/22nd

Apenheul

I'm buying the Arcade version of Monster Land. I haven't played any game in this series before but a playthough vid on youtube got me interested. Might as well get the whole series on Virtual Console if everything will end up there.

stuminus3

I wonder why the XBLA package doesn't include Dragon's Trap? That'd be a great compilation of the four main Monster World games if it did.

The technical work on the localization is incredible (they added variable sized text windows), but apparently the actual translation work appears to have been done in-house at Westone. That said, it's still leagues above and beyond what was available previously for this game. The English bootlegs out there are nearly unplayable, text-wise.

8REmg.jpg

Wonder Boy in Monster Land. Ah, I'm a little rusty. I actually died! But I made it to Round Eight, at least. Next time will deliver victory.

So first things first, the game seems to be running through the same softening filter that TurboGrafx-16 games do. What's worse is that I guess Virtual Console Arcade games are allowed an options menu and the only screen options are for an overbearing scanlines option. It's a pretty huge disappointment to me, but given that 90% of the Virtual Console purchases are TG16, I suppose I'm used to it and I suspect most people won't even know the difference. Hopefully, there will be some flexibility in how VC works on Wii U, so I can play this with crisp pixel visuals later down the road.

But hey, other than that, it's one of my favorite games of all time (literally, it's on the very small list I keep Super Metroid on) and it's here in a way I would have never, ever, ever expected. The translation is good, but it's obvious that it was done by some of Sega or Westone's Japanese staff. This was obvious before I got to the "Sarad" part in my last post. But in a way, it has an 80's like charm to it.

Goody

All four Monster World games are now hanging out on my Wii. Any general advice for tackling Monster Land? Only the first game seems a little daunting to me. I'd like to marathon all four without getting too frustrated at the outset.

All four Monster World games are now hanging out on my Wii.
Same here! I just bought all four of them. I hadn't picked any of them up previously because of the Monster World Complete Collection disc, but now with them all in English? I can't pass that up! Some day maybe we'll have the arcade Wonder Boy and Monster Lair on Virtual Console so the Wii set will be truly "complete," but this is good enough for me now.

Any general advice for tackling Monster Land? Only the first game seems a little daunting to me. I'd like to marathon all four without getting too frustrated at the outset.
Well, it's an arcade game, so it's tough. You'll need much more Mega Man like reflexes to make it in the game. Grab the hints from the bars, now that they're not gibberish you guys can find out where the hidden stuff is without guessing. A good equipment path to follow is to get the first or second boots and shield first and then focus on armor until you have the best armor. Windspout and Fireball magics are great for boss fights (bombs are useless). Don't let it get you down though, it can be a hard game but it's fair, it's a good game to learn to One Coin Clear.

On the plus side, you can credit pump the game and continue all you like if you're just looking to play through it.

But you should aim for a high score!

@MUWANdo

Banned
Does anyone remember the sound test code for Monster World IV? I wanna test if it works on the VC release but I've forgotten the code and it seems to have disappeared off the internet (read: requires more than thirty seconds of googling to uncover).

EDIT: remembered it, and it works!
press start on the title screen and make sure the cursor is on "Continue", then press UP DOWN UP DOWN LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT. UP/DOWN cycles through the sounds, START to play, A/B/C to exit.

Now to check Monster Land for the "wiggle the crap out of the joystick" trick...

The translation is good, but it's obvious that it was done by some of Sega or Westone's Japanese staff. This was obvious before I got to the "Sarad" part in my last post. But in a way, it has an 80's like charm to it.

I teach English in Japan, and even my best students, kids who are fully able to carry on a conversation in English, struggle with the L and R. It doesn't help that the word has carried over into Japanese, where it's pronounced "sarada" usually.

Actually, even fluent adults have trouble with the distinction between L and R much of the time. The word "lyrics" is really hard for them.

Attempt two also failed, but I made it to the Dragon's Castle this time. I went with the Ruby instead of the Bell because I figured I would remember my way around the castle. While that was MOSTLY true, having to repeat just a few paths was enough to do me in (and it didn't help that I never found a second medicine). What a shame, I had over a thousand gold, it would have made a nice first high score back in the action.

Now to check Monster Land for the "wiggle the crap out of the joystick" trick...
It works. But there's a much better way to trigger that anyway. :)

Actually, even fluent adults have trouble with the distinction between L and R much of the time. The word "lyrics" is really hard for them.
A friend of mine way back when wanted to create a rock band called Lollipop Parallelogram and tour Japan.

I played through the first two temples in Monster World IV. The boss of the second temple was hella lame, he didn't even attack you! The game is pretty awesome, albeit somewhat easy.

So hey, this is interesting.

6QvDC.jpg

The translation for Wonder Boy in Monster Land is exactly the same as the one used in the Images Design/Activision ports to various 80's 8-Bit computers. I was checking out the C64 version on YouTube and noticed the wording on things was very familiar, "Let's go," for a round start, "6 gold get," and "500 BONUS POINTS," all the same as the new Virtual Console version. So I skipped ahead and luckily enough, the sphinx question was the same one I came across last night and hey there's the good ol' sarad.

I wonder if Sega/Westone just had this sitting in the archives, ready but never released back in the day. I'd LOVE to pick their brains on this and Monster World IV on how and why they came to release these like they have. Is my assumption correct that this was a Westone initiative? Would they be interested in doing a Monster World V for 3DS or digital platforms? So many questions! If any websites out there are reading, let me send questions to Sega for your site.

Did M2 only handle MWIV then?

I'd love for Westone to get on a franchise revival initiative, even if they have to farm it out.

*coughWayforwardcough*

Did M2 only handle MWIV then?
I think M2 handles just the emulation code (and shame on them for what they did to Wonder Boy in Monster Land's visual on VC), I don't know if they're touching the original source codes. Personally, I suspect Westone did the work on both of these new versions, but that's purely a guess! I would love to know the answer though.

I'd love for Westone to get on a franchise revival initiative, even if they have to farm it out.

*coughWayforwardcough*
They already have Shantae, which is almost a wholesale ripoff.

Hideki Kamiya was chatting with Shinichi Sakamoto on Twitter not too long ago and apparently, Monster World V came up.

I think if this happens, it's coming from Westone and Westone only.

polg

The Monster World series will be "complete," on Wii, at least.

Though it would be nice to have the arcade versions of Wonder Boy and Monster Lair to go with that, I won't lie.

The TurboGrafx version's added color depth and actual save system certainly give it the edge, but TG16 games unfortunately have a softening filter on Virtual Console.

that game is probably one of my favorite ones ever. I played so much at the arcades. Maybe, one day, I will get a console perfect port...

sfried

I'm playing Monster World IV right now on Virtual console with my Hori SNES GameCube pad (layout feels like Genesis).

Feels and looks great. Plus having VC suspend save features really helps.

Got it together with Pulseman.

I think M2 handles just the emulation code (and shame on them for what they did to Wonder Boy in Monster Land's visual on VC), I don't know if they're touching the original source codes. Personally, I suspect Westone did the work on both of these new versions, but that's purely a guess! I would love to know the answer though.

They already have Shantae, which is almost a wholesale ripoff.

Hideki Kamiya was chatting with Shinichi Sakamoto on Twitter not too long ago and apparently, Monster World V came up.

Shantae being kinda the point. (Shantae still plays a little differently, though she morphs like the Dynastic Hero.)

If there will be a MWV, I hope they take the speedier mechanics from IV and make it a little more open world.

that game is probably one of my favorite ones ever. I played so much at the arcades. Maybe, one day, I will get a console perfect port...
Which one?

Well, either way, there's some speculation based on the XBLA three packs that there might be a later "Wonder Boy Collection" with Wonder Boy, The Dragon's Trap and Monster Lair. Hopefully, if that does happen, they have the courtesy to drop the two missing arcade games on to Wii as well.

Shantae being kinda the point. (Shantae still plays a little differently, though she morphs like the Dynastic Hero.)
I figured as much, but I'm just saying that since they're already doing that, giving them the Monster World license would be a little redundant.

WayForward would have more creative freedom with their own IP.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't think any of the main players from the Monster World days are even with Westone anymore, I doubt they'd have a huge stake in these re-releases.

It only took three games to shake of my ring rust, I beat Wonder Boy in Monster Land on my third game!

A rather weak ending score of 1,533,370 though, but I'll move on up soon enough. The coins were not on my side today.

I don't think any of the main players from the Monster World days are even with Westone anymore, I doubt they'd have a huge stake in these re-releases.
You may be right, but I can't help but think there's something odd about this.

Sega themselves would never put this much effort into what is basically a ROM release.

dave_d

So hey, this is interesting.

Would they be interested in doing a Monster World V for 3DS or digital platforms?

MW5? But in MW4 we finally

killed that alien that had been behind everything for the whole series.
That being said it'd be nice to have them do MW5 :)

But in MW5 the final boss would be
DEMON-KING SHION!
Shion became the cursed demon king after being lured into the underworld when a hole appeared near his house one day. He now rules the underworld, and all the old Wonderboys (and girl) have to work together to defeat him, and free him from the curse!!!!!!!!

Would also add a nice symmetry to the original Wonderboy, where the boss was a Demon King!

dave_d

But in MW5 the final boss would be
DEMON-KING SHION!
Shion became the cursed demon king after being lured into the underworld when a hole appeared near his house one day. He now rules the underworld, and all the old Wonderboys (and girl) have to work together to defeat him, and free him from the curse!!!!!!!!

Would also add a nice symmetry to the original Wonderboy, where the boss was a Demon King!

So wait, that's what happened to him? (I played the Japanese MW4 but I can't read it. Made that one section really tough. Guess I should pick it up on the Wii or PS3 or Xbox.)

Anyway
So that happened after he came back from driving the alien away? As I remember it didn't he get on a rocket to go to the alien's space ship to beat him up at the end of WBinMW?

Spoilers! Well I'll come back for those after I finish Monster World IV.

So I came across an odd glitch playing The Dragon's Trap today. After a few treasures chests I came across were just empty, I eventually figured out I was severely lacking in heart containers. Well, since I was at the end of the game, I figured I could power through the last boss with four instead of starting over. Thankfully, I lucked out and had the two medicines I used on him heal for three and four hearts instead of one over and over and I made it out alive.

Now onto Wonder Boy in Monster World. :)

IrishNinja

this is one of several VC titles i'm just waiting to hear the details on transferring content to the WU and user accounts/etc before buying. its a growing list.

Please come out soon on the PS3. ;_;

that'd be cool, too. hell, the collection XBLA is getting would be cool on PSN, but since they're offline games anyway, i don't really care which format, come to think of it.

I hope these collections do well enough that they end up doing something like this:

wonderboycollection.png

So Wonderboy, Wonderboy III: Dragon's Trap, and Wonderboy III: Monster's Lair, the last 3 titles.

yes please

So about Monster World IV's ending...
After the credits roll, the genie appears for a short scene where he thanks you for playing, after which he says "This is the end of the Monster World series.... or is it?" Does anybody know if he says this in the original version, or if Sega just threw that in there for the VC version to taunt us?

kevinski

Banned
Even though I just bought one of these games with the most recent Sega Classics pack that was released on Steam, I really, really hope that this sees a PC release through Steam, as well.

dave_d

Here's my question about MW4 on the WII, did they keep the StarWars text scroll as part of the intro? (I have the Japanese cart which has that in it. I've also played a fan translation that ripped that part out.)

@MUWANdo

Banned
So about Monster World IV's ending...
After the credits roll, the genie appears for a short scene where he thanks you for playing, after which he says "This is the end of the Monster World series.... or is it?" Does anybody know if he says this in the original version, or if Sega just threw that in there for the VC version to taunt us?

I don't remember it from the fan translation, but that probably doesn't mean a whole lot.

Here's my question about MW4 on the WII, did they keep the StarWars text scroll as part of the intro? (I have the Japanese cart which has that in it. I've also played a fan translation that ripped that part out.)

They did.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand the games and the order they are in.

I remember

wonder boy - had it at the local arcade. I was a demon on that skateboard
wonder boy 2 - with shops and that bird in the OP
wonder boy 3 - the one where you turn into the piranha/bird/something else.

is that the 3 getting released? I vaguely remember number 2 had a bunch of different versions or something.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't really understand the games and the order they are in.

I remember

wonder boy - had it at the local arcade. I was a demon on that skateboard
wonder boy 2 - with shops and that bird in the OP
wonder boy 3 - the one where you turn into the piranha/bird/something else.

is that the 3 getting released? I vaguely remember number 2 had a bunch of different versions or something.

That game is already available on Wii VC, but won't be released as part of the Monster World Collection for PSN/XBLA.

Downloaded both MW Arcade and MW IV for VC tonight and am loving both, M2's emulation is top notch.

MW IV: This will my first time playing through the game. I remember drooling over a deluxe import preview for MW IV in an old Gamefan when I was a teenager. Sega should be applauded for the amazing fan service of translating this. The game looks absolutely gorgeous.

MW Arcade: Still love it but I forgot how unforgiving it is at times and it drives me insane when I kill a boss and get the key before I can grab any money. This will be my first time with the Arcade rev, previously played the SMS cart.

sfried

Does Monster World IV have the only Genesis/Mega Drive music I don't detest as much?
Title Screen
Town Music
It must because of the fact it uses the Yamaha chips less irritating/non-metalic sounding instruments. It also helps the color palette is decidedly SNES-looking (so bright, lots of pastels) and plays like a Metroidvania. The composition is simplistic yet effective, and doesn't sound like its trying too hard to use many channels at once that might start to draw comparisons with the SNES.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Monster World's music is better, IMO. So many of MW4's tunes are arrangements of that one melody which gets old pretty quickly.

Zekes!

Monster World's music is better, IMO. So many of MW4's tunes are arrangements of that one melody which gets old pretty quickly.

Yeah that's what I noticed. Kind of weakens the OST. I also wish the world structure was more open and interconnected like Monster World 3. But overall it's a pretty good game so far.

Here's something interesting from the end of the new official english translation of Monster World IV that I think was missing from the original Japanese version, that may shed some light on a possible Monster World V...

Genie now says-

"This is the end of the Monster World series ... Or is it?"

And then some hints about dreams and lullaby land...perhaps hints of the next plot?

New ending is here, but warning contains final boss of Monster World IV and ending, so don't watch if you don't like spoilers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v65iPnEspN4&feature=plcp

interesting?

Does anyone know if any of this text was in the original Japanese version?

EDIT: Beaten by my old pal, nincompoop! ;)

So many spoilers! ACK. I'm near the end of Monster World IV though, so I'll pop back in here in an hour or so. I have to say I'm quite surprised with how the story has unfolded in this game, given that there was no story (or nothing to really care about) in the previous installments.

I commented with my friend today, joking that Sakamoto commented on doing another game maybe and then two years later, English versions of the missing two games popped up for basically no reason. I was like COINCIDENCE?! Of course, at the time I was like LOL of course it's 99% sure just a coincidence, but your spoilers are making me curious.

ON TO THE GAME.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I seriously wonder who they'd get to develop a new Monster World game. I mean, they basically don't do handheld stuff completely in-house anymore, do they?

Matt Bozon from WayForward claims that he hasn't played any of the Monster World games, so I doubt they'd pitch one, and they're so similar to Shantae that I can't be certain they'd even want to do it if Sega offered it to them. The Dreamrift dudes are presumably busy with Epic Mickey right now. I can't imagine any of their usual Japanese collaborators handling it, either... maybe Dimps, I guess, but definitely not Treasure or someone of that caliber. An original M2 job, perhaps?

Then again, as Skullomania has shown, there are plenty of people out there who wanna bring it back, so maybe it'll be someone completely out of left field.

Okay, I just beat Monster World IV for the first (of I'm sure many) times.

Huh. Is this really stated anywhere? It just seemed to be there.

So yeah, that ending bit, it would be interesting to find out if that was the original script or not since that seems to be a question now. If it was not, then that's very curious. Very curious, indeed! If it was intentionally changed, that's either very mean (and funny) or just bizarre.

I seriously wonder who they'd get to develop a new Monster World game. I mean, they basically don't do handheld stuff completely in-house anymore, do they?
Westone still exists. It may not be the same (or even close) to the same staff as from 1994, but clearly key people to the Monster World series were still invested in it as recently as 2007, the interviews in the Monster World Complete Collection book show that they still cared about the series and were glad to preserve it in such a way.

Anyway, I have a friend going to E3 and (probably) meeting with Sega, I'm going to see if he can ask about Westone's involvement in these new releases, if at all. And if they were not involved, how did this come to be? To me, it doesn't make sense that this happened without direct involvement of Westone.

Matt Bozon from WayForward claims that he hasn't played any of the Monster World games.
Which is probably a lie. :)

3ds remake/collection of 2 or 3 (sms) along the lines of the mickey mouse game would be quite nice.

Somebody make it happen

Here's the ending of Monster World IV in Japanese, if somebody can compare the epilogue text.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4007690

3ds remake/collection of 2 or 3 (sms) along the lines of the mickey mouse game would be quite nice.
When I was chatting with my friend about a potential Monster World V today, I picked 3DS as the preferred platform because I feel it would be the best chance to keep the game small (and 2D). Even on a digital platform like PSN/XBLA I would think would misdirect the direction of the game maybe? I'd be happy to see it anywhere, obviously, but I would like it to maintain the spirit of the first four games.

I have some Wii points that I'm trying to decide how to spend, and I'm seriously considering picking up one or more games from this series. Could anyone give a brief rundown of each entry and where the best place to start is for someone who hasn't played them? I'm half tempted to just try them all in chronological order, but if some of the earlier games are basically eclipsed by the later ones I'd prefer to save some time and money by focusing on the best of the bunch.

The other thing I'm curious about is PSN pricing and IQ. I've noticed that games from that era generally look a little better (cripser) on my Wii than on PS3, but there's also been talk in this thread of the Wii using a sort of softening filter on some of the games. Any idea how the visuals compare between platforms, or are we still waiting on a PSN release for the final word?

Anyway, sorry to open with a slew of questions, but I'm grateful for whatever good advice I can get from fans of the series. I've seen the games pop up in conversations online for a while, and I'm curious to finally see for myself what the hubbub is about. Thanks!

I have some Wii points that I'm trying to decide how to spend, and I'm seriously considering picking up one or more games from this series. Could anyone give a brief rundown of each entry and where the best place to start is for someone who hasn't played them? I'm half tempted to just try them all in chronological order, but if some of the earlier games are basically eclipsed by the later ones I'd prefer to save some time and money by focusing on the best of the bunch.

The other thing I'm curious about is PSN pricing and IQ. I've noticed that games from that era generally look a little better (cripser) on my Wii than on PS3, but there's also been talk in this thread of the Wii using a sort of softening filter on some of the games. Any idea how the visuals compare between platforms, or are we still waiting on a PSN release for the final word?

Anyway, sorry to open with a slew of questions, but I'm grateful for whatever good advice I can get from fans of the series. I've seen the games pop up in conversations online for a while, and I'm curious to finally see for myself what the hubbub is about. Thanks!
The main thing is that the four games (speaking strictly on the Monster World sub-series) are all kind of different, while being the same. So it's not a very clear answer on one game eclipsing another. For instance, I like the arcade approach of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, while some people would prefer the Metroid level structure of The Dragon's Trap.

If I HAD to pick one to give as a good starting point, it would probably be Wonder Boy in Monster World. It's my least favorite personally, but I think it would be the easiest game for a newcomer to come into. The first two games have a real "old school" bite to them. If that doesn't turn you off though, you could start from the beginning! Just keep in mind the first game is an arcade game, it's not a simple "play to beat" game.

As for the softening filter, that was me. It only applied to Wonder Boy in Monster Land and I think that it was HOW I was playing it that caused that. Unlike other Virtual Console stuff, Virtual Console Arcade games seem to have some display options. The default compresses the screen to a 4:3 image when your Wii is set to 16:9 mode (unlike everything else, which fills the screen expecting you to change your TV to 4:3 mode). I suspect if I had picked the full image option, it would look just like as good all other (not TG16) Virtual Console games.

And because the names ARE annoying, here are the games in chronological order.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade)
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis)
Monster World IV (Genesis)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not really liking MWIV as much as the last two mainline entries, but it's certainly enjoyable enough.
And I gotta say, it feels nice being able to pay some cash to get a legit translated version here in the West, finally. I've known about the fan translation patch for years, and even dabbled with it a bit over the years. But this... is nice. :)

Top Bottom