• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Girl Is The Smartest Person In The Marvel Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer

Smarter than Thanos?

4612252-4825855931-Thano.jpg

The Adder

Banned
Marvel characters are at their best when they're relatable. When you can say "cool, that person is just like me, but wrapped up in this incredible circumstance".

Who relates to the smartest person in the world? No one relates to abstractions. It's why stories about saving the whole universe are boring.

This is a false dichotomy. Who relates to the richest man on Earth? No one. But they relate to a recovering alcoholic with an ego and daddy issues just fine. He just happens to be loaded.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Smarts is one thing, application is another. Reed is smarter than Pym in some areas. But Pym still bodied him

pyms always in 2 minute warning mode. its just that he can easily blow the game as well as he can win them

Kaiterra

Banned
Well, Valeria's already smarter than Doom or Richards, so does the list start with two little girls? Will there be a science battle between Valeria and Lunella? Please?

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN. Lunella’s got ‘tude to spare and Valeria can be pretty hardcore, I’d love to see that

besada

Banned
What has Peter invented that earned him a place on that brain trust list?
Webfluid, webslingers, the Spidermobile, a global communications metwork, a time machine, various dimensional portals, tons of spider themed digital equipment.

Averon

I knew Peter was gifted but not on Stark or T'Challa's level. I always saw him as someone with the potential to be another Stark if he'd only applied himself more. Though, I have not been follow the latest issues of Spider-Man, so maybe that has changed.

PSqueak

Banned
Should have waited til it happened in the comics, preferably by having her humiliate Reed Richards in some way.

kswiston

I knew Peter was gifted but not on Stark or T'Challa's level. I always saw him as someone with the potential to be another Stark if he'd only applied himself more. Though, I have not been follow the latest issues of Spider-Man, so maybe that has changed.

He's always been considered really smart, but almost all of the craziest stuff has been from Dan Slott. I am not convinced that the super genius interpretation will live past Slott's run on the character.

Should have waited til it happened in the comics, preferably by having her humiliate Reed Richards in some way.

Reed doesnt exist in the Marvel U at the moment.

Parallax

hes so thick it wouldnt matter. he has namor the simp mariner sing joe songs in his ear, and he doesnt even give a fuck

Marvel characters are at their best when they're relatable. When you can say "cool, that person is just like me, but wrapped up in this incredible circumstance".

Who relates to the smartest person in the world? No one relates to abstractions. It's why stories about saving the whole universe are boring.

Thor is my favorite but I also prefer DC over marvel. Guess that says enough about my character trait preferences.

Does Ultron count? He's really smart but he's a robit

Well who knows what he is now technically, what the fuck even was the ending of Rage of Ultron

MisterHero

Peter discovered an energy source that turned a kid into a universal threat. Reed said he discovered it first, I don't care.

There was a time when Zombie Reed Richards claimed he could build a quantum computer out of an ink pen and a strand of Zombie Susan's hair, and I almost believed him

PSqueak

Banned
Reed doesnt exist in the Marvel U at the moment.

Forgot about that, oops.

hes so thick it wouldnt matter. he has namor the simp mariner sing joe songs in his ear, and he doesnt even give a fuck

Counter points:

1.-Most casual people (ie, who they want to draw in with this sort of new characters) still equate Reed with being the smartest, it would help her cred.
2.-I just want Reed to be humiliated for the lulz. Reed is a dick.

Parallax

Forgot about that, oops.

Counter points:

1.-Most casual people (ie, who they want to draw in with this sort of new characters) still equate Reed with being the smartest, it would help her cred.
2.-I just want Reed to be humiliated for the lulz. Reed is a dick.

the dude has people shit on him constantly. hes not gonna care unless you fuck with his family. hed probably be more facsinated with whatever she came up with than humiliated.

PSqueak

Banned

She's still a 9 year old girl, she'll be relatable because she'll be pretty much like Jimmy Neutron, still behave like a kid with kid interests and her super intelligence will be used as a device to super science bullshit for our amusement.

Basically, she will be written like having a regular child's intelligence that inexplicably can build tony stark level tech, and it will be A D O R A B L E !

Sandfox

Last year I remember someone asking about the lack females in the upper echelon of Marvel's geniuses.

This is a pretty cool character trait for Moon Girl.

CrimsonN0

Wasn't Moon Girl studying the Terrigen Mists?
And she was on the cover of the Inhumans vs X-Men event.
I guess she could figure out a way to fix that whole mess and get known for that.

At this point these super, ultra intelligent beings become dumb. Like, what does this person specifically know over this other person? Does it matter?

Marvel u a joke, yo.

KingV

Yes! Very fun book! Very well written character!

As much as I love Valeria Richards, Hickman kind of wrote her like a tiny adult who sometimes is self-conscious about being a kid.
Lunella not only is a certified Marvel super-genius, but that doesn't stop her from being a kid. I think tier lists in comics are silly (the most powerful or smart is always who the writer of the moment wants it to be), but hey, whatever calls attention to this excellent comic.

Yeah, I'd like to see a kid super genius written as a kid. Like what would a 9 year old girl who was a super genius do? Would she play genius pranks on her teachers? Try to solve problems she doesn't have the life experience to understand fully? Design the best video game system? Be the best at Pokemon cards?

I'd like to see her use her super genius capacity in frivolous pursuits, because she's 9. Valeria is written as sort of creepy in a way, I als think she is,like 4 o something, and the idea of a super genius preschooler just doesn't make any sense because it's hard to identify with somebody that young, since they're so illogical.

Raw IQ versus knowledge. You can probably argue even an all-knowing being doesn't necessarily have the highest intelligence.

I feel like in practice though that those two begin to converge at infinity. If you're omniscient, you don't have to think through/calculate all eventualities or logic chains, you just KNOW them already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom