• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Girl Is The Smartest Person In The Marvel Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Remember that invulnerable kid from Avengers Initiative who had no other talent, and was basically shit at everything?

Or Cloud 9 for that matter. Lots of cannon fodder tier characters in that book.

butterball? he at least got to walk away unscathed. cloud 9 and most of the first class were all fucked up by the time things ended

This page was always so embarrassing because its like the author just put "SMART PEOPLE THINGS" into google then just threw all that crap into the script.

Because obviously scientists have to remind each other what fucking i is all the time.

its a joke friend

suprisingly? no. I think I skipped that series.

But I'm pretty sure there was at LEAST four Xmen characters with that same gag.

"You'll never get past this force field I have! "

ok...and then what?

it wasnt a forcefield. he was invulnerable, but he was locked in at where he was. so since he was fat when his powers activated, he would always be fat. he washed out of the initiative, but he gave it his all, and was liked by the instructors

kswiston

Peter was sciencing as fuck long before Slott

He wasn't inventing time machines on his lunch break before that from what I read; basically random 90s comics and then about a decade of Amazing from the start of the JMS run to around the Ends of the Earth arc of Slott's run where I gave up on the title outside of seeing stuff posted online. Even during his time with Tony (before Civil War) and his time on Reed's FF (post Johnny), he wasn't doing anything on the same level as the stuff he was doing in Slott's books.

butterball? he at least got to walk away unscathed. cloud 9 and most of the first class were all fucked up by the time things ended

Yeah, Butterball. Are any of those characters still around?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He wasn't inventing time machines on his lunch break before that from what I read; basically random 90s comics and then about a decade of Amazing from the start of the JMS run to around the Ends of the Earth arc of Slott's run where I gave up on the title outside of seeing stuff posted online. Even during his time with Tony (before Civil War) and his time on Reed's FF (post Johnny), he wasn't doing anything on the same level as the stuff he was doing in Slott's books.

i dont think weve seen butterball since he washed out. gorilla girl got stuck in the marvel apes universe and then was erased from existence somehow. the rest kinda faded into the 50 states shit and were pretty much forgotten

Who am I missing?

Heroes? Tchalla.
Villains? A ton. Red Ghost, High Evolutionary (ok, sorta.), Leader (he even still alive nowadays?), Wizard, Mad Thinker, Sinister, Otto Octavius, Maximus the Somewhat Touched In the Head.

Sinister is probably the most effective villain in the marvel universe, tbqh.

Slayven

suprisingly? no. I think I skipped that series.

But I'm pretty sure there was at LEAST four Xmen characters with that same gag.

"You'll never get past this force field I have! "

ok...and then what?

"still working on that."

pretty sure that's a gag page from some AVX tie in and intentionally over the top and ridiculous.

You list Unus, and Unscione, but not the other member of the family?

197129-155714-radius.jpg

tkscz

Cool I guess? I stopped reading Marvel and thus far they have yet to give me a reason to pick up another book.

tkscz

The current Vision run is an excellent reason, if you were looking for one!

It's more of the fact that none of my favorite characters are alive or active anymore. Killing War Machine was pretty much the last straw. Not saying the books aren't good, just from a personal stand point, Marvel burned all it's bridges with me.

He did invent the spider-trackers without any kind of advanced lab, making Pym jealous though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Reed isn't really nonexistent or missing, he's busy playing in god mode with the family.

zZqUyFo.jpg

I'm okay with Moon Girl being the #1 brain in the MU, but I'm not too thrilled at how much the other people at the top have been changed.

Cho is still smart, but because he's a Hulk, he spends most of his time doing Hulk things. Pym, I haven't caught up with yet since the reboot. I know he's around, but to what extent, I don't know. Stark might be crazy smart still, but everything happening with Civil War II makes him look like a moron. Don't get me started about Doom... he might as well be a different character completely now.

Things have just felt off since Secret Wars.

Loona

Always hate it when characters are made out to be the smartest..In the end they're limited to the intelligence of the writer, so the "smartest person in the world" tends to make some stupid mistakes, which is made worse when intelligence is all the character has. Haven't read comics in a while, so no clue about her as a character.

This is the real problem - the supposedly smartest character in a publisher's universe should be written by the publisher's smartest writer, but how would they even determine that?

They're just going to through instant do-anything gadgets at the story while keeping the status quo stable enough for other characters to remain unaffected, not to mention the company-wide events that take most character story arcs hostage.

If you want a fun book with mad science by a child, I recommend Alan Moore's Jack B Quick - I'd be surprised if Lunella's feats even touch that regardless of Marvel's intentions. I just get the impression their PR is writing checks their writers can't cash.

I do hope at some point there's be recurring comic scans of Lunella doing awesome stuff that at least resembles proof of this claim.

Mudcrab

Always hate it when characters are made out to be the smartest..In the end they're limited to the intelligence of the writer, so the "smartest person in the world" tends to make some stupid mistakes, which is made worse when intelligence is all the character has. Haven't read comics in a while, so no clue about her as a character.

This is the real problem - the supposedly smartest character in a publisher's universe should be written by the publisher's smartest writer, but how would they even determine that?

They're just going to through instant do-anything gadgets at the story while keeping the status quo stable enough for other characters to remain unaffected, not to mention the company-wide events that take most character story arcs hostage.

If you want a fun book with mad science by a child, I recommend Alan Moore's Jack B Quick - I'd be surprised if Lunella's feats even touch that regardless of Marvel's intentions. I just get the impression their PR is writing checks their writers can't cash.

I do hope at some point there's be recurring comic scans of Lunella doing awesome stuff that at least resembles proof of this claim.

Its an all ages book you goofs. It's not like they're gonna phone up some dude at MIT for the latest news in mathematical theory to prove to comic geeks that Moon Girl is smarter than Doctor Doom.

MC Safety

So did Moon Boy become Moon Girl or is this a different character? And what happened to Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur? Also, did Moon Girl get her own Devil Dinosaur or did she get the original Moon Boy's Devil Dinosaur?

Matty77

So did Moon Boy become Moon Girl or is this a different character? And what happened to Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur? Also, did Moon Girl get her own Devil Dinosaur or did she get the original Moon Boy's Devil Dinosaur?
After reading this thread these questions are also spinning through my mind.

I might check this out, love devil dinosaur, moon boy not so much, and the less said about Fallen Angels the better.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I mean, to the rest of the Marvel universe they are missing. Doom may be the only one in earth with a clue about where they are and what they are doing.
Ah right, I was responding more in general to clarify for other posts that mentioned him in the thread.

After reading this thread these questions are also spinning through my mind.

I might check this out, love devil dinosaur, moon boy not so much, and the less said about Fallen Angels the better.
Different character, same dinosaur. I cut some panels, but basically:

45vUpT7.jpg

YGW49TI.jpg

PVJ3ry2.jpg

Gmfg56M.jpg

Loona

Its an all ages book you goofs. It's not like they're gonna phone up some dude at MIT for the latest news in mathematical theory to prove to comic geeks that Moon Girl is smarter than Doctor Doom.

No, but "show, don't tell", is still a solid storytelling concept regardless of target audience - and I wonder to which extent it'll be put into practice here.

Sandfox

IIRC Peter wasn't the one making time machine with his biggest inventions being tech he invented to defeat certain villians and the webware, which everyone calls an Apple ripoff in universe.

No, but "show, don't tell", is still a solid storytelling concept regardless of target audience - and I wonder to which extent it'll be put into practice here.
Well it was just an off-hand comment in a "Woman of Marvel" panel lol. According to the OP this will be covered in an upcoming storyline.

Lesath

Being the smartest is relative.

How do you measure that you are the smartest?

I'd say the most accurate depiction of smartness in fiction is Sherlock Holmes - there's a bit where Watson gives him shit for not knowing the Earth revolves around the sun, and Holmes replies that it's simply not necessary for what he likes to do, so he doesn't bother remembering it. Smart people in real life have a limited scope of knowledge, and the metric of whether that person is smart is her or his ability to be presented with an unknown and figure it out (i.e. critical thinking or "common sense").

tim1138

Hell yeah, Lunella is awesome. I wish I had a T-Rex friend I could
swap bodies with
. Best Inhuman power ever.

Being the smartest is relative.

How do you measure that you are the smartest?

There are a lot of simple metrics:

# of Times You've Left Your Wife Alone with Namor
# of Times You've Tried to Launch the Hulk into Space
# of Times You Invented Ultron
Etc.

Generally, it's like golf: you want the lowest score possible.

There is a reason Eternity named Hank Pym Earth's Scientist Supreme.
So the super smart people in the Marvel U (in no particular order) are:

Lunella Lafayette
Valeria Richards
Reed Richards
Victor Von Doom
Henry Pym
Nadia Pym
Bruce Banner
Tony Stark
Amadeus Cho
Henry McCoy
Peter Parker
Adam Brashear (and I guess his sons and daughter?)
... M.O.D.O.K, I guess??

Who am I missing?

What? No, her book is great fun.
T'challa and a good number of villains. Also, I would put Young Hank McCoy on there. And definitely put the entire Brashear family on there.

Also should Nadia really be on there? I figured she just specialized in Pym tech and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom