• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Girl Is The Smartest Person In The Marvel Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pym.jpg
Yknow I've always fucking hated this stupid page. Cho was saying that shit even back when Skrull Pym was around and no one knew he was a Skull. Real Pym showing up isn't going to change that. And he didn't do anything impressive in Mighty Avengers so the egomaniac can go fuck himself

PSqueak

Banned
Yknow I've always fucking hated this stupid page. Cho was saying that shit even back when Skrull Pym was around and no one knew he was a Skull. Real Pym showing up isn't going to change that. And he didn't do anything impressive in Mighty Avengers so the egomaniac can go fuck himself

As every time this is posted, i still think it's just Pym being insecure, because he's assuming Cho is not counting him as any position between 1 and 7, Pym is assuming he was excluded from it and lashes out at him, Cho could have easily answered "i don't have to knock myself down, you were already top 5".

Child geniuses are getting tired. Peter Parker, Amadeus Cho, and so on. I find them very boring.

...neither of the names you listed are children?

i'd say there's a better argument for male geniuses being tiresome. Until valeria was introduced, the ranking was a god damn sausage fest.

entremet

...neither of the names you listed are children?

i'd say there's a better argument for male geniuses being tiresome. Until valeria was introduced, the ranking was a god damn sausage fest.
Original Parker was bitten by the spider as a teen. Young geniuses to be more accurate.

yeah but her book is really, REALLY awful, so she'll be relegated to the dustbins of marvel universe minutiae sooner rather than later.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So the super smart people in the Marvel U (in no particular order) are:

Lunella Lafayette
Valeria Richards
Reed Richards
Victor Von Doom
Henry Pym
Nadia Pym
Bruce Banner
Tony Stark
Amadeus Cho
Henry McCoy
Peter Parker
Adam Brashear (and I guess his sons and daughter?)
... M.O.D.O.K, I guess??

Who am I missing?

yeah but her book is really, REALLY awful, so she'll be relegated to the dustbins of marvel universe minutiae sooner rather than later.

What? No, her book is great fun.

Not

Banned
So is she "Time Lord" smart, which basically means she can do anything and make anything and "science" essentially = magic

Or "comic book" smart, which means she's effortlessly manipulating lesser minds and pulling the strings of the entire universe at all times?

grimmiq

Always hate it when characters are made out to be the smartest..In the end they're limited to the intelligence of the writer, so the "smartest person in the world" tends to make some stupid mistakes, which is made worse when intelligence is all the character has. Haven't read comics in a while, so no clue about her as a character.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So is she "Time Lord" smart, which basically means she can do any thing and make anything and "science" essentially = magic

Or "comic book" smart, which means she's effortlessly manipulating lesser minds and pulling the strings of the entire universe at all times?

I'm not sure.

How smart was Matilda?

PSqueak

Banned
Always hate it when characters are made out to be the smartest..In the end they're limited to the intelligence of the writer, so the "smartest person in the world" tends to make some stupid mistakes, which is made worse when intelligence is all the character has.

Usually, "smartest" translates to "Super science bullshit power levels" in the marvel universe rather than, you know actual intelligence.

I'm not sure.

How smart was Matilda?

Matilda was a genius child in a real life standard, she'd prolly skip a few grades, what made her super was her immense psychic power restrained only by her moral code.

kswiston

Always hate it when characters are made out to be the smartest..In the end they're limited to the intelligence of the writer, so the "smartest person in the world" tends to make some stupid mistakes, which is made worse when intelligence is all the character has. Haven't read comics in a while, so no clue about her as a character.

Most comic writers have no background in science, and make zero effort to acquaint themselves with the basics when writing a science based character. So most of the time, what makes it to the page is the science equivalent of "He hit 8 hole in ones during his first period of baseball!".

grimmiq

Usually, "smartest" translates to "Super science bullshit power levels" in the marvel universe rather than, you know actual intelligence.

Matilda was a genius child in a real life standard, she'd prolly skip a few grades, what made her super was her immense psychic power restrained only by her moral code.

Fair enough, super tech intelligence coupled with childish naivety is interesting (which looking at some of images, seems to be the case?).

SpaceWolf

Banned

Given time, I bet Miss Honey could have whipped that girl into shape so that she would have ended up becoming the greatest intellect in all the Marvel Universe in no time. Reed Richards would have nothing on that kid, she could do multiplications and shit. My girl would have beaten the shit out of Doctor Doom, built her own inter-dimensional portal AND would have found a way to harness that sweet sweet Galactus for the good of all mankind in like, a day. Matilda could survive the chokey. What has Moon Girl survived? The moon? Give me a fucking break.

What? No, her book is great fun.

completely unreadable, and i don't think I've said that about anything else in the lineup. I read this week's issue- it was literally the worst slapfight possible between two 8/9 year olds, with wacky gadgets sprinkled in.

The only character I like less than this one is Nova, and that's saying something.

So is she "Time Lord" smart, which basically means she can do anything and make anything and "science" essentially = magic

its the former. she's basically your typical 8/9 year old with magic science gadgets and a big dinosaur.

It's comics. No one can be just special, they always have to be in the top 10 of intelligence, wealth or strength in the world

read more team books. lots of junk heroes that aren't shit showing up in those *cough*nova*cough*

edit: web warriors is also a neat one to bust that theory. There's dozens of heroes, but all of them are just variations on spiderman.

kswiston

read more team books. lots of junk heroes that aren't shit showing up in those *cough*nova*cough*

edit: web warriors is also a neat one to bust that theory. There's dozens of heroes, but all of them are just variations on spiderman.

Remember that invulnerable kid from Avengers Initiative who had no other talent, and was basically shit at everything?

Or Cloud 9 for that matter. Lots of cannon fodder tier characters in that book.

Parshias7

need true super scientists as judges

This page was always so embarrassing because its like the author just put "SMART PEOPLE THINGS" into google then just threw all that crap into the script.

Because obviously scientists have to remind each other what fucking i is all the time.

Remember that invulnerable kid from Avengers Initiative who had no other talent, and was basically shit at everything?

suprisingly? no. I think I skipped that series.

But I'm pretty sure there was at LEAST four Xmen characters with that same gag.

"You'll never get past this force field I have! "

ok...and then what?

"still working on that."

This page was always so embarrassing because its like the author just put "SMART PEOPLE THINGS" into google then just threw all that crap into the script.

Because obviously scientists have to remind each other what fucking i is all the time.

pretty sure that's a gag page from some AVX tie in and intentionally over the top and ridiculous.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
suprisingly? no. I think I skipped that series.

But I'm pretty sure there was at LEAST four Xmen characters with that same gag.

"You'll never get past this force field I have! "

ok...and then what?

"still working on that."

pretty sure that's a gag page from some AVX tie in and intentionally over the top and ridiculous.
that first girl is jojo af

Two Words

But... they know everything. Maybe I'm thinking of a different kind of omnipotence/omniscience, but when you know everything that's just sort of it. Someone who does not know everything, and is very very smart is just not going to be able to use their smarts in anyway that dethrone you. Because you'll also just know what they are thinking, and how they thought it, and why.
Yeah I don't think there is anything from knowing an infinite set of facts of all things there is to know and having a mind that has great capacity to deduce/induce or analyze things to discover things.

I mean, if we could program things to have a infinite-size look up table for any fact that has basically instant search speed, why bother making an algorithm to figure out things?

Squire

Banned
So, is this something we can expect them to actually do something with on a universe level, or something that will be relegated to "interesting fact"? Genuinely asking, I don't really know what to expect of Marvel comics.

The only person to really utilize the intellects as more than fun facts (that I know of) is Hickman - to wonderful effect I might add. It was arguably the catalyst for the story he was ultimately telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom