• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More details about the next Tomb Raider (motorcycle returns, Lara has female romance, part of a 'team' not solo)

Aion002

Gold Member
  • Lara Croft will also have "a romantic scene with another female character."

SFM maker's:

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
I’m down for Lesbian Lara but I doubt it’ll be what I’m thinking of.

Personally I’d have assumed she was Bi, or at least down for fun with whoever she fancied.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Isn't this a retread of a leak from July/August 2022?

----------------------------------

On Friday, Colin Moriarty’s Sacred Symbols podcast contained an unusual segment featuring part of an alleged casting script for British actors reading for the part of Lara Croft herself. “They’re looking for a female in their mid-30s, who’s white, five-foot-six, athletic, and a prototype of Emily Blunt, Rosamund Pike, etc,” Moriarty read.

Then he went on to read a large passage describing a possible new tone for the new game:

Lara Croft is now at the top of her game. Gone are the days of the young inexperienced woman dealing with matters of legacy and familial reckoning, Lara has let go of her childhood and fully embraced a life of adventure and purpose. Her legendary career has been lauded in print and tabloids, tall tales of adventure that have inspired a new generation of Tomb Raiders to seek their fortunes in the world. And with this new phase of her life, Lara fully accepted her place among the ruins.
For many years, Lara plumbed the depths of forgotten places, played cat in mouse with many nefarious opponents, and worked to uncover, preserve and protect the lost secrets of the world lest they fall into the wrong hands. But as the years have passed, Lara has become lonely at the top. The beginning of this next chapter presents Lara with the quintessentially adult problem facing something too big to handle alone on this new adventure. Lara will encounter a challenge she can only overcome with a team at her side. Collaboration is foreign to her. She’s always succeeded alone. So, in this situation, she’s a fish out of water.
After that, his co-hosts Chris and Dustin acted out the two casting scenes, featuring Lara, a woman named Tanvi, and a man named Devindra. (I hope I’m spelling that correctly.) Lastly, Moriarty reads a note that the female actor they’re looking for may have “romantic scenes with another female character” but that “there is no nudity or simulated sex.”

All of that was apparently enough to push Square Enix’s Crystal Dynamics to send the DMCA takedown notice the very same day — though not to Moriarty but, rather, the Patreon page where subscribers support his podcast, directly threatening his source of income.

Roberts

Well I have never thought of Laras love life when playing these games. So pointing it out is already a negative.
I understand you. Listen, if she’s into women just to score some woke points and has no relevance to the story & themes then, yeah, it’s no good but if there is a strong reason for that then I’m fine with it.

Mr Hyde

This doesn't sound good at all. MMO elements, Ubisoft structure and companions sounds straight up awful. Why the hell are they implementing things like that in fucking Tomb Raider?

A romantic involvement with another chick is lame too. It was refreshing that Lara didn't have any romantic relationships with anyone, whether it's a guy or a woman. She is a loner and obsessed with raiding tombs and going on adventures. She ain't it in it for love and boring shit like that. Her platonic relationship with Jonah was great and the writer's understood to not evolve that further with a stupid romance.

Fuck this game if the bullet points are true. I love Tomb Raider but this sounds like total and complete shit. Why must people ruin every fucking IP that's out there?

Edellus

Most of this sounds so bad for a Tomb Raider game. I dig the mature and confident Lara, the motorcycle, and perhaps the semi/open world (Lost Legacy like, I'd hope). But the rest I can't see it.

I hope with all my heart this is just a troll attempt and mostly fake.

T4keD0wN

It is said to be an "action-adventure game set in a modern world shaken by a mysterious catastrophe."
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

According to the casting notes for Lara Croft, a "genuinely British"
never-mind-leaving.gif

Lara Croft will also have "a romantic scene with another female character."
sad-sorry.gif

Lara Croft is at her peak now.
that-she-is-she-is.gif

"Typical Ubisoft" structure.
Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Lara has a motorcycle to make it easier for players to explore.
Were Back GIF by Big Brother

MMO elements
Frustrated Head GIF

Famous characters like Jonah Maiava and Curtis Trent will return.
Animated GIF

Sounds like a roller coaster of good and bad to me.

Last edited:

Dictattor

"A romantic scene with another female character"

''Lara will have a skill tree with spells''

''MMO elements''

bye.gif

Last edited:

Gojiira

Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ve-lara-croft-leading-a-team-of-tomb-raiders/
https://www.patreon.com/posts/sacred-symbols-69739847 (...paywalled)

That’s according to a script allegedly being used to cast the unrevealed game’s actors, which was obtained and shared by Sacred Symbols (paywalled).

According to the alleged script, the next Tomb Raider is internally known as ‘Project Jawbreaker’, and is described as “an action adventure game set in a modern-day world rocked by a mysterious cataclysm”.

"On this new adventure, Lara will encounter a challenge she can only overcome with a team at her side. Collaboration is foreign to her: she’s always succeeded alone, so in this situation she’s a fish out of water.”
  • The internal codename for the next Tomb Raider game is 'Project Jawbreaker'
  • It is said to be an "action-adventure game set in a modern world shaken by a mysterious catastrophe."
  • According to the casting notes for Lara Croft, a "genuinely British" actress in her mid-30s will be cast for the role.
  • Lara Croft will also have "a romantic scene with another female character."
  • According to the script, "Lara Croft is at her peak now. Gone is the image of a young, immature woman struggling with her legacy and family issues."
  • "Lara has left her childhood behind and fully embraced her life as an adventurer.
  • "Typical Ubisoft" structure.
  • Four companions, each with their own abilities.
  • Open or semi-open world, not clear.
  • Lara has a motorcycle to make it easier for players to explore.
  • MMO elements.
  • Five very typical villains, including a rich man, a mafia boss, and two brothers.
  • Famous characters like Jonah Maiava and Curtis Trent will return.
  • Lara will have a skill tree with spells.
  • The game mixes various trends and genres.
Spells…Lesbian…Team..Fuck this,dead on arrival

MrJangles

Neo Member
Lara Croft will also have "a romantic scene with another female character

But of course, what self respecting game in this day and age doesn't have pronouns and all that rubbish just for the sake of it 🙄

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

On Friday, Colin Moriarty’s Sacred Symbols podcast contained an unusual segment featuring part of an alleged casting script for British actors reading for the part of Lara Croft herself. “They’re looking for a female in their mid-30s, who’s white, five-foot-six, athletic, and a prototype of Emily Blunt, Rosamund Pike, etc,” Moriarty read.

Then he went on to read a large passage describing a possible new tone for the new game:

After that, his co-hosts Chris and Dustin acted out the two casting scenes, featuring Lara, a woman named Tanvi, and a man named Devindra. (I hope I’m spelling that correctly.) Lastly, Moriarty reads a note that the female actor they’re looking for may have “romantic scenes with another female character” but that “there is no nudity or simulated sex.”

All of that was apparently enough to push Square Enix’s Crystal Dynamics to send the DMCA takedown notice the very same day — though not to Moriarty but, rather, the Patreon page where subscribers support his podcast, directly threatening his source of income.

Exactly. That's why I asked if they did the British accents again cause embracer or ubi got super pissed and tried to remove the episode 2 years ago.

It is high comedy. Like, it's even funnier if you're high. Chris does the best accent out of the 3

Garibaldi

Why is there so much sexual orientation bullshit in games nowadays? Just go to a flipping tomb and raid it. Don't be sticking your tongue down any boy or girl's throat. Concentrate on climbing that rope and jumping that snake infested pit...but do it all sexy like.

I'm getting to the point where these throwaway segments are deliberately getting added to paint people as arseholes who don't want this shite in games when they kick off about it.

If I wanted to see relationship and affection, I'd read a trashy romance novel or something.

Bring back fighting T-Rex please

00_Zer0

Yes, it's worse than that though since OP is quoting and linking from an article and patreon during that same time period(2022). This is old news and hopefully has gone in a different direction since then.

Edit-Can't believe people haven't heard this news already. I bet after the backlash back then higher ups at Crystal Dynamics or Embracer mandated changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom