• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 1000 Russian athletes implicated in state sponsored doping scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/38261608

More than 1000 Russian athletes benefited from a state-sponsored doping programme run for four years from 2011, a new report claims.

The final part of the McLaren report implicates four medallists at Sochi 2014 and five from London 2012.

Adding more details of the doping it revealed in July, the report described an "institutional conspiracy" involving Russia's secret service.

It said the athletes did not act alone but were part of a programme.

The report's author, Professor Richard McLaren, who was appointed by the World Anti-Doping Agency, said the doping took place on "an unprecedented scale".

He added: "There was a cover up that evolved into an institutional and disciplined medal-wining strategy."

The report said the system was refined over the course of the London 2012 Olympics, 2013 World Athletics Championships in Moscow and the Sochi Winter Olympics where a now "fail safe" system was in place to protect likely Russian medal winners.

Russia won 72 medals at the London Games, 21 of which were gold, and 33 medals at Sochi 2014, 13 of which were gold.

Crazy to see just how deep this particular rabbit hole goes, this really saddens me as it undermines one of the core principles of sports - fair competition.

Of course even more worrying is that it is a part of an ongoing trend of the Russians just doing as they please.

shira

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/38261608

Crazy to see just how deep this particular rabbit hole goes, this really saddens me as it undermines one of the core principles of sports - fair competition.

Cheating is a actually a core principle of sport. Trying to get ahead, new technology, bribing officials, etc.

Even the ancient Greeks were cheating.

As long as humans have a prize and a reward that gets you money/sex/prestige/national honor someone will do anything to get ahead.

So what is fair sports competition? Is it fair that one athlete is graced by the DNA lottery and another is not?

You don't think countries are manipulating the DNA lottery?

Helznicht

You don't think countries are manipulating the DNA lottery?

Maybe, but not the point. Question stands.

Two men both love a sport, basketball, one is 6'11" tall, the other 5'7". Both practice equally hard and often. Is it a fair competition when they compete against each other?

espher

Two men both love a sport, basketball, one is 6'11" tall, the other 5'7". Both practice equally hard and often. Is it a fair competition when they compete against each other?

Yes? They won't be equal, but the competition is not unfair simply because of height.

Detox

Every elite athlete cheats, these stories will come out when the athletes are no longer the face of their respective sport and sponsors no longer need them.

steph curry and allen iverson say hello

That's silly. You may as well say:

Two men both love a sport, basketball, one is really talented, the other less so. Both practice equally hard and often. Is it a fair competition when they compete against each other?

Sport is about pitting your natural physical attributes, talent, intelligence and resolve against another.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just ban Russia from all major international events. They clearly cannot be trusted to compete fairly. Be a shame not to have them in hockey tournaments, but oh well.

Nikodemos

When it comes to Russia cheating and lying seems to be the primary function of government. But hard to blame them since it's been working really well for them the last 5 years or so.
At this point I seriously don't understand how anybody in the West still believes Putin and his underlings don't lie all the time about everything. I mean, apart from the traitorous shitwads Westerners on his payroll. .

At this point I seriously don't understand how anybody in the West still believes Putin and his underlings don't lie all the time about everything. I mean, apart from the traitorous shitwads Westerners on his payroll. .

Snowden is not on his payroll, he was stuck there when his passport was cancelled.

Now Putin is twisting his arm, no doubt threatening to hand him over if he does not do what he says.

airjoca

Yes it is. The 5'7 player will be faster, will have better handles and probably will shoot better.

Nikodemos

Snowden is not on his payroll, he was stuck there when his passport was cancelled.

Now Putin is twisting his arm, no doubt threatening to hand him over if he does not do what he says.
Snowden is an unfortunate fringe case. I was refering to shitweasels like Schroeder and Marine Le Pen (and many, many others).

People thinking this is a Russian exclusive thing?
It's the sheer size and the fact that it's (been) done at the government's direct command, like in the bad old days of East Germany.

Dmented

Banned
People thinking this is a Russian exclusive thing?

People are crazy if they believe that. Pretty much every nation is involved with doping. The difference with others and Russia is that the Russian government is involved with the athlete's doping. Other nation's governments may not be as involved but of course their athletes are doping.

Boney

Banned
DanzigerRussiaDopingShots_1000_590_395.jpg

Yes it is. The 5'7 player will be faster, will have better handles and probably will shoot better.

i mean, if that were true, there'd be no reason to distinguish between sexes either. Sure, the women will be significantly smaller and less muscular. Dat speed and handling tho.

Genes matter. A lot. As do natural testosterone levels.

SURGEdude

I think the connection between Trump and Russia is more than just shady financial stuff. They are both tough guy bullies who are so thin skinned that when they take a punch back they cry and throw a tantrum. That to me is kind of the definition of being a pussy and a coward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom