• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount&Blade: With Fire and Sword |OT| Romance, cruelty and drama in European history.

U1HC2.png

Genres: Action, Role-Playing, Strategy, Historical
Platform: PC
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Developer: Taleworlds
Release Date: May 3, 2011

7oIMx.jpg

System Requirements:
Processor: 2.1Ghz or higher
Memory: 1.2 GB
Hard Disk Space: 900 MB
Video Card: 128 MB+
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
DirectX®: 9.0c​

PWq0H.png

Direct2Drive - 10% off with pre-order.
Steam - 10% off with pre-order. Pre-purchase today and get in-game hats for Team Fortress 2!
GamersGate - 10% off with Pre-Order
Desura

World:
It was one the most romantic, cruel and dramatic episode of the Europe history. The game features distinct political forces: The Tsardom of Russia, Sweden, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpospolita), Cossack Ukraine and the Crimean Khanate. The entire game world where the main action takes place is divided between these powers. Each of the factions has its own national units, like Polish hussar cavalry or Don Cossack as a Russian unique fighter.

Gameplay:
Based on the original gameplay of M&B, With Sword and Fire is an action-oriented role-playing game with emphasis on mounted combat. Players are able to join one of the 5 battling factions, fight as a mercenary and bring his faction to dominate Europe. Quest system is very close to Sid Meier's Pirates! — player can switch to sand-box or to story mode at any point.

Setting:
17th century is barely represented by other games and is usually passed over. On the other hand, a positive example of successful products on this subject are Cossacks: European Wars, Corsairs and Sid Meier's Pirates!, which proved the audience’s interest in this period. Moreover, this game will allow history-lovers and/or ill-wishers to accomplish what they have dreamt of, but could not undertake under the present circumstances. Player will get an opportunity to create a Russian Empire, having conquered every singe province – or else, side with Poland and enthrone the Polish King in Moscow, or build the Swedish Kingdom from the Baltica to the Urals. Therefore, this historical setting will not only spark the interest of history fans, but also tickle the national pride of players in general, present them with a game world in which they can voice their disagreement in, and rewrite the history of, their respective people to one’s heart content.

Key Features:
  • A storyline based on the cult novel from Nobel-prize winner author Henry Sienkiewicz.
  • A new century of warfare that brings pistols, muskets, grenades, and other advanced weaponry to the battlefield.
  • Fully customizable armies; players can outfit their soldiers with each piece of weaponry & armor.
  • Additional quest types. More political intrigue with colorful factions. More adventure in a new land.
  • New economic system, which includes village / town development, a banking system, & new trade options. Players will have the opportunity to loan money, keep money on deposit, and arrange caravans.
  • Multiple endings to sustain player's interest and increase replayability.
  • Deeply researched historical component encompassing every aspect of the game's assets.
  • Ferocious new multiplayer action, bringing players the thrill of pitting old technology against the looming threat of firearms.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do I need to own 'Mount&Blade: Warband' to play 'Mount&Blade: With Fire & Sword'?
A: No. 'Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword' is a standalone expansion, which means it can be bought and played without Warband.

Q: Is it the same game that was released in Eastern Europe?
A: Quote from Mikail Yazbeck: "It was actually released twice over there. The most recent release is this new version of the game that’s been made in the Warband engine(which we’ve since polished even more for the international release). And the first release was inside of the Mount & Blade 1 engine and was released in between M&B 1 and M&B:Warband, but only in Eastern Europe. That older version of course didn’t have all the features that this version has, but was demanded enough for us(and by us I mean Sich Studios/Snowberry along with TaleWorlds) to want to remake it using the Warband engine and bring to an international audience."

Q: Is it basically just a mod? It looks like a mod.
A: It uses the Warband engine (with some alterations), so it will look like a mod. The difference is the professional level of work, the large amount of content with fully fleshed out singleplayer and multiplayer, which includes a new game mode dedicated to commanding. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether you want to buy the game or not.

Q: Is there a manual I can download?
A: Yes, download it here or here.

Media:
ppwlQ.jpg
TkULt.jpg

D9kSb.jpg
H0vRP.jpg

Announcement trailer
Official trailer
Siege trailer

Promotional soundtrack with 30 free tracks from Mount&Blade Warband and With Fire and Sword. | Direct download

The Infantry Primer - A great tutorial if you want to step up your game.

HYiAm.png

[Waiting for someone to set up a GAF server]

QEU6e.png

Metascore: 67 out of 100. (User score: 6.5/10)

AtomicGamer - 7/10
Edge Magazine - 6/10
Eurogamer - 6/10
GameSpot - 7.5/10
GameTrailers - 58/100
Handheld Heroes - 8.9/10
IGN - 7.5/10
IncGamers - 5/10

WTF is Mount and Blade : With Fire and Sword?
- Detailed YouTube preview by the Cynical Brit.

Freyjadour said:
First time playing Mount and Blade, having a lot of fun!
Kuran said:
I enjoyed war band, but my initial impression with this was disappointing. The gun models and animations are atrocious, even on max settings. Reminds me of World War 2 Online from a few years ago.
SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm not really feeling the single player. Maybe once I get rolling it'll be better, but I liked the beginning of Warband better. (Note that I just bought the series this weekend, so I have very limited experience.)
Revolutionary said:
I'm enjoying the game but it feels like less of a step up over Warband, like Warband was over the original. I love the guns, though. They've changed the online battles entirely and into something very fun.
Send me a PM if you're missing anything in the OP.

Kuran said:
Bought on Steam. Is there a list of engine improvements since Warband?

There aren't many technical improvements. The singleplayer campaign is a lot more fleshed out though. Otherwise it's essentially a really well done Warband mod. The models, terrain, and textures are all better, but it isn't doing anything that Warband couldn't do.

bengraven

Still think it's weird that they sell M&B vanilla and Warband at the same price and/or in the same package.

That's like buying both Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 GOTY. Warband has all of vanilla, plus "expansion" material added.

thefil

Sorry to be somewhat off-topic, but is it worth playing Warband single player? I tried about four hours but didn't get into it. Is multiplayer the focus?

Ponti

This has pretty much everything I've been wanting since Warband came out. Played a lot of the Mount and Musket MP mod for Warband but having firearms officially implemented will be neat.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The_Technomancer said:
Wait, is this a full fledged sequel? Those screens look pretty good.

No, it's a former mod turned polished up commercial product.

TheExodu5

Banned
thefil said:
Sorry to be somewhat off-topic, but is it worth playing Warband single player? I tried about four hours but didn't get into it. Is multiplayer the focus?

I've been playing it for this past week and have been having a blast.

Maybe it just wasn't for you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EviLore said:
No, it's a former mod turned polished up commercial product.
I've heard great stuff about the previous ones, and technically I own them....if it looks like we'll have a good GAF community then I'll jump on this. The multiplayer concept has always sounded incredible.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah the multiplayer is amazing I can't use words to describe the feeling I get when I kill someone with a throwing axe while they charge at me on a horse

Rygar 8 Bit said:
yeah the multiplayer is amazing I can't use words to describe the feeling I get when I kill someone with a throwing axe while they charge at me on a horse

Have you tried the Mount and Musket mod? I had this crazy moment where a guy was charging me on his horse with his sword drawn ready to chop my head off. I aim my musket in a final attempt to kill the guy and I was able to nail him with a round. All I hear/saw was my gun going off and smoke in my face and the horse ran to my left with him falling off the horse. Such a awesome moment. Going to see a lot of that in Fire and Sword.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Fourman said:
Have you tried the Mount and Musket mod? I had this crazy moment where a guy was charging me on his horse with his sword drawn ready to chop my head off. I aim my musket in a final attempt to kill the guy and I was able to nail him with a round. All I hear/saw was my gun going off and smoke in my face and the horse ran to my left with him falling off the horse. Such a awesome moment. Going to see a lot of that in Fire and Sword.

hehe that's pretty sweet but no I have not dl'ed any mods that use guns only the starwars one but that was whacky

Hopefully this will inject some life into the multiplayer community. I still play Warband online regularly (native and Vikingr, not a fan of c-RPG) and I'm hoping this doesn't simply fragment the existing community into people who stay and people who want something new. Anyway i've had this pre-ordered for a while now on Steam, eagerly awaiting the unlock. I won't even play the single player for a while, i'm going straight for multiplayer.

They pretty much picked the perfect time and place to set this game though. This was one of the last places that archery was used in warfare, and cannons weren't widespread enough in the area that castles were completely useless, resulting in an interesting mixture of old vs new technology.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm still kinda shocked that's actually the title of the game.... might pick it up when I got the cash for it thought.

vocab

Alright, I pre purchased it. If anyone wants to know any specific details come launch day let me know. I'll write up a detailed description. Also, CRPG got a big overhaul yesterday. It's changed everything for better, and worse.

TheExodu5

Banned
vocab said:
Alright, I pre purchased it. If anyone wants to know any specific details come launch day let me know. I'll write up a detailed description. Also, CRPG got a big overhaul yesterday. It's changed everything for better, and worse.

What are the big changes? The patch notes are quite vague.

Nice playing with ya tonight. Just getting used to morningstar mounted combat...it looks so badass I had to go that route.

Pre-order done. For $15 bucks I'll support Taleworlds, even if With Fire and Sword isn't too much of a jump over Warband. Will no doubt still be great fun, looking forward to it.

Veritas_

Tempted to pick this up if only for the Winged Hussars. Love Warband and I still play multiplayer regularly. Gave singleplayer a break after having my entire army wiped out by some Sarranids who decided to pop out of a castle at random.

Coldsnap said:
How hard will this game be to get in? Giantbomb quicklook made it seem like anyone new will get destroyed online.

It definitely has a steep learning curve. In team games as long as you stick with other players and fight as a group you will do well, there's a bunch of people who do this and so just find the team players on your side and stick with them. I recommend trying a spear and shield, and use it to support other players, just make sure to carry a second weapon like a sword if you find yourself alone.

Also play single player arenas and training camps with manual block turned on and learn to parry, if you can master that you can beat most people who play this game.

Pikelet

Coldsnap said:
How hard will this game be to get in? Giantbomb quicklook made it seem like anyone new will get destroyed online.

If it is anything like Warband then it will still be fun for new players. Sure your kill death ratio will probably not be that impressive, but the sense of satisfaction in getting a kill is unmatched in any other game i have played online.

So excited for this one, preordered!

TheExodu5

Banned
Pikelet said:
If it is anything like Warband then it will still be fun for new players. Sure your kill death ratio will probably not be that impressive, but the sense of satisfaction in getting a kill is unmatched in any other game i have played online.

I can second this. Every kill in this game is satisfying. Every one.

L00P

No idea what Mount and Blade is, but I just watched some youtube vids and it seems like an interesting game. The combat looks fun. Just preordered it X)

Jintor

I was going to not preorder it but I looked at my list and it says '45 hours in Warband'

So yeah, may as well get into a Mount and Blade while the new community is there. And I can spare 12 bucks.

vocab

TheExodu5 said:
What are the big changes? The patch notes are quite vague.

Nice playing with ya tonight. Just getting used to morningstar mounted combat...it looks so badass I had to go that route.

No idea on patch notes. They pretty much nerfed hybrids, and a lot of people ditched throwing because of it. Side sword got a nerf, but it's still good. 2h's got the biggest buff simply because there's less projectiles overall.

I got 1 shotted by the morning star twice when we were playing.

Also, anyone learning should watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

Cipherr

Im buying warband sometime tonight. Should I be buying this instead? I want to play online, even though I sucked ass in the offline practice area.

The motions for the swinging in melee combat and directional blocking are hard as shit. Its like waggle, with a mouse.

vocab

Cipherr said:
Im buying warband sometime tonight. Should I be buying this instead? I want to play online, even though I sucked ass in the offline practice area.

The motions for the swinging in melee combat and directional blocking are hard as shit. Its like waggle, with a mouse.

If you can run backward compatible mods and play native on Fire and sword, there would be no reason to get warband. However, no one knows what will happen until launch day.

Warband as of now has the community.

Cipherr

vocab said:
If you can run backward compatible mods and play native on Fire and sword, there would be no reason to get warband. However, no one knows what will happen until launch day.

Warband as of now has the community.

Christ... so after waiting all that time, its best that I wait and see how this shakes out before buying......

The gaiety derived from this turn of events exceeded my self-control tolerances! You are to be applauded for your efforts!

Edit: Oh shit. M&BWarband is down from 29.99 to 5.99 on steam, fuck it then, Ill just buy it and get the expansion later if its worth it. Now I need to find out what else to get.

RedSwirl

Okay since we got a fresh new thread on the subject, I bought the base game a while back but haven't been able to touch it yet and was thinking about getting Warband since it'll probably never go lower than $5.

What good does Warband add? I heard that it makes it easier for people who want to strike out as a lone mercenary instead of raise an army. Is that true?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
RedSwirl said:
Okay since we got a fresh new thread on the subject, I bought the base game a while back but haven't been able to touch it yet and was thinking about getting Warband since it'll probably never go lower than $5.

What good does Warband add? I heard that it makes it easier for people who want to strike out as a lone mercenary instead of raise an army. Is that true?
Get Warband, there is no reason to play the original after it. Specifically what Warband adds is more features to the SP and online. You lose nothing.

Cipherr

Rygar 8 Bit said:
why would you wait its 15 freaking dollars thats nothing

Ill wait because I dont expect to bother with the single player at all. If online picks up, on the new expansion Ill buy it at that time. The deal right now knocks like a dollar off of the expansions price......Im not going to sweat getting it later if I miss out on those grand savings of $1, its better to just not get it unless it turns out to be relevant to the online portion of the game.

szaromir

Banned
archnemesis said:
Does anyone else care about the single player campaign? Which faction are you going to play as? I'm looking forward to playing with The Kingdom of Sweden and reenacting some of the battles my ancestors died in.
As Poland to fend off the Swedish invasion.:]

Top Bottom