• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount&Blade: With Fire and Sword |OT| Romance, cruelty and drama in European history.

Forkball

Honestly I can't tell if I'm hitting anything with the guns. My only kills thus far are from swords. Maybe it's a problem with the ping since most of the servers are in Europe or Russia. The pistol seems more accurate than muskets, I notice most people using those.

Downloaded and started a single player game at lunch.

Seems quite different. You don't get to choose your storyline at the beginning and just start with normalized stats and you also don't choose where you start.

Troops are different in that you can't just go and hire cheap recruits from villages--I think you have to hire them from merc camps or taverns. This seems like it will make the beginning of the game more difficult as funding a small band of hirelings might be more difficult.

Did anyone else catch the Three Musketeers reference in the tutorial part when you're talking to the adventurers you aid?

Also, for those of you having problems using the guns, R key to go first person, Shift key to zoom in some, and then it effectively works like the bows do, except that the bullet travels in a more or less straight line from where you are to the area in the targeted area (much less drop than the bows in Warband, IIRC).

First time playing Mount and Blade, having a lot of fun!

So I was tasked with gathering taxes for a Polish General in Warsaw, but by the time I had made it back Sweden was attacking the city and then subsequently took it over. Is there any reason for me to return this tax collection?

Freyjadour said:
First time playing Mount and Blade, having a lot of fun!

So I was tasked with gathering taxes for a Polish General in Warsaw, but by the time I had made it back Sweden was attacking the city and then subsequently took it over. Is there any reason for me to return this tax collection?

If the guy was taken prisoner, no. But if he escaped capture it would be a good idea.

Fuck yeah, I just rode down and hacked apart five bandits by my bad self. Luckily they were all wearing rags and wielding wooden clubs :p It's kinda clunky, but I definitely see the appeal Mount & Blade has. I just need to get some more practice in on the single player and come to grips with the mechanics a bit more.

Does my character and gear carry from single to multiplayer and vice versa?

Kuran

Banned
I enjoyed war band, but my initial impression with this was disappointing. The gun models and animations are atrocious, even on max settings. Reminds me of World War 2 Online from a few years ago.

vocab

jaundicejuice said:
Does my character and gear carry from single to multiplayer and vice versa?

No. The default (native) has different gear based on faction and troop pick. The gear is very limited, and that's why a lot of people play CRPG. Much more customization, and you can buy gear. If you like Multiplayer though, you should play Warband. As of now Fire and Sword MP is kind lack luster. If you like guns, go play mount and musket.

I'm not really feeling the single player. Maybe once I get rolling it'll be better, but I liked the beginning of Warband better. (Note that I just bought the series this weekend, so I have very limited experience.)

Mkliner

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm not really feeling the single player. Maybe once I get rolling it'll be better, but I liked the beginning of Warband better. (Note that I just bought the series this weekend, so I have very limited experience.)

It's just a whole lot more dangerous in the beginning thanks to the guns. I feel like it gets better once you get a good amount of guys in your army.

Llyranor

SatelliteOfLove said:
7oIMx.jpg

OH. FUCK. SON. A Winged Hussar on fire! This is automatically the best game cover that was, is, or ever will be.
Yeah, that's pretty much my favorite game cover, too.

Pikelet said:
the sense of satisfaction in getting a kill is unmatched in any other game i have played online.
Warband is the only game that has been able to match the satisfaction of a single kill online that Red Orchestra has provided me. IL-2 also comes close.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
For single player, you want to eventually hire out mercenaries from the camps. The mercenary captain can outfit them in better gear and such later on when you have the funds, and it looks cool to see your whole army in one single scheme if you so wish rather than a haphazard motley crew from everywhere. The beginning is much harder now due to the way that guns act, but once you get better gear things become capable. It's always best to stay together in the group and get as close as you can to marksmen asap so they'll have to resort to melee. Cavalry is still king of the mountain.

I won't try multiplayer until some local servers go up later this evening. No way in hell am I going to bother playing it with a ping of 300+

I'm enjoying the game but it feels like less of a step up over Warband, like Warband was over the original. I love the guns, though. They've changed the online battles entirely and into something very fun.

An enemy and I were dueling inside the castle gates for a good minute, but I slipped up with a block so he quickly gained the upper hand since I wasn't wearing much armor. "Aha!" I thought, "I have a gun now so I can end this quickly!" So, I turn around and withdrew a couple of steps while drawing my pistol out, then turn back around to aim and see that he has the same idea - I left click and... oh fuck, I have to reload!! Fortunately, he has to reload as well so we spend the next 5 seconds staring at each other while reloading our pistols. We draw at the same time, but I got the aim right. Headshot!

So good.

Anyone know the minimum requirements for a horse so that you can do proper lancing? My character just won't do it in F&S, but I was able to do it easily in Warband.

I added some of your impressions to the OP. Guns are really awesome, but recruiting troops and earning money is a lot more difficult than in Warband. It's going to take a while until I get used to this new system. I'll probably restart my character tonight, get a loan from a local merchant and then use the money to recruit mercenaries so I can raid a few villages.
SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyone know the minimum requirements for a horse so that you can do proper lancing? My character just won't do it in F&S, but I was able to do it easily in Warband.
Check your settings. You can turn off easy lancing there.
Llyranor said:
Yeah, that's pretty much my favorite game cover, too.
Here's a link to a large res version of the black and white sketch. (1984px × 2806px)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
archnemesis said:
I added some of your impressions to the OP. Guns are really awesome, but recruiting troops and earning money is a lot more difficult than in Warband. It's going to take a while until I get used to this new system. I'll probably restart my character tonight, get a loan from a local merchant and then use the money to recruit mercenaries so I can raid a few villages.

Here's a link to a large res version of the black and white sketch. (1984px × 2806px)

Is this really the only way to make a lot of money relatively quickly? I did this in Warband and got powerful fairly quickly, but I'm trying to play a decent guy in Fire and Sword... The quests from the various Lords definitely don't pay very well, though.

Grenades are absolutely broken in multiplayer at the moment. Cost 1200 buy one; throw at two people dueling; two kills allows you to buy 2 grenades now; repeat.

archnemesis said:

Don't forget you can hire out of the Merc camp found near each capital (Moscow isn't that far from the beginning area) and that you begin with 1000 Dinars to start with. Each camp has faction specific Infantry, Marksmen, and Calvary. These types of recruits, unlike the mercs you find in the taverns, can level up as they gain experience and generally require less in wages as well. It's something like 150 Dinars for 10 of any type, IIRC. You can also improve their default gear by buying it at the camp (but only for recruits of that faction, so, as I found out, no improving the gear of your Russian Musketeers at the Khanite's camp). Also, once you've gotten some prisoners, you can recruit them as well (for a minor penalty in morale). The main advantage of the tavern merc troops is that they start out as good, mid-level soldiers that require no training. I also heard that you can start recruiting villagers to fight for you out of a factions villages once you've joined them. Haven't yet myself though.

Right now I'm rolling with a 53 man nearly 50/50 Marksmen/Infantry army of mixed Russian, Cossack, and Crimean soldiers (along with a defrocked Priest and a useless Fortune Teller) causing trouble for the Hetman along the border the Cossacks share with the Khanite, sniping off smaller groups, raiding caravans, looting and burning villages, and then fleeing back into Crimea when the nobles come rolling in after me with their massive armies. I've made a pretty penny that way and my initial group of Rus Marksmen Recruits have grown to be pretty deadly shots. Oh a tip: F1, quickly followed by F2. That will order all your troops to follow you, just find a good hill or other vantage point and profit.

I recruited the same priest and soothsayer, so I guess they've hard coded the recruitment locations in this game unlike in Warband. The "Follow Me" command is definitely very useful. My current tactic is letting my infantry and marksmen charge right at the enemy while I lead the cavalry around in a wide circling arc. As long as I travel perpendicular to the enemies' line of fire I don't have to worry about getting hit. When my main force is close enough I charge into the flanks of their ranged units with my cavalry. This will usually force them to put down their muskets and use melee weapons instead.

Zefah said:
Is this really the only way to make a lot of money relatively quickly? I did this in Warband and got powerful fairly quickly, but I'm trying to play a decent guy in Fire and Sword... The quests from the various Lords definitely don't pay very well, though.
Maybe you could try trading instead. I found these tips on the TaleWorlds forums.
  • Get a few thousand thalers and start sending caravans. I found that Warsaw and Koningsberg are the easiest cities to send caravans to and from. There is small distance, expansive goods and almost no bandits in that area.
  • Try to get ~50,000 as fast as you can. Don't send caravans with expansive goods at first since you will need a trade patent. It costs 4,500 thalers (used to be 45,000).
  • Once you have trade patent you can stop picking up loot and trading through inventory.

archnemesis said:
I recruited the same priest and soothsayer, so I guess they've hard coded the recruitment locations in this game unlike in Warband. The "Follow Me" command is definitely very useful. My current tactic is letting my infantry and marksmen charge right at the enemy while I lead the cavalry around in a wide circling arc. As long as I travel perpendicular to the enemies' line of fire I don't have to worry about getting hit. When my main force is close enough I charge into the flanks of their ranged units with my cavalry. This will usually force them to put down their muskets and use melee weapons instead.

They seem to have start locations, but move around after awhile. For example,
you can hire Tepes in the city you need to go for the tax mission you get from the elder in the starting town very early in the game.
In my current save I didn't hire or interact with him and when I came back 9 days later he was gone. In addition to the priest and the soothsayer, I've encountered Tepes, a descendant of Dracula, and a woman who is the former slave-bodyguard of a Sultan's wife
located in Moscow in the beginning
. I have to say that they did a good job on the backgrounds of the NPC hirelings in this game.

Pikelet

vocab said:
Online impressions:

Unplayable. Every server is laggy, and rubberbands all over the place.

2h's are slow as hell. Plate is completely broken (glancing off of plate on every swing). Grenades = holy shit, how is that balanced.

Overall it feels even slower than Warband, and I don't like it that much.

Yep, i'm gonna reserve judgement until we get some decent servers, but right now grenades are incredibly powerful. I'm also not really sold on the gun combat, a lot of it seems to come down to luck because they are so inaccurate.

Wait and see i guess.

Ducarmel

Is it true they took more stuff out of the game then added in?

I'm reading on the forum you cant rebel and be a king no more.

Ducarmel said:
Is it true they took more stuff out of the game then added in?

I'm reading on the forum you cant rebel and be a king no more.
No, not really. However, some of removed features were very central to the Warband experience. Here's a short list of added and removed features.

Added
  • Guns
  • Bar brawls
  • Customization of your troops' equipment
  • A tutorial
  • Multiple endings
  • A new world map with new missions, towns and NPCs
  • New multiplayer mode with Captains
  • Improved siege warfare

Removed
  • Marriage
  • Tournaments
  • Playing as a female main character
  • Recruiting villagers
  • Creating your own faction

When guns work, they work really well.. a volley into charging cave from behind pikeman at close range is total pwnage.

Still, I'm finding it harder to play :( don't know the best way to earn money.

I only play single player games and I loved open world action RPG like oblivion, New Vegas etc.

Is this the best one for a single player experience, or not worth the extra $ given the cheap prices of prior games?

TheExodu5

Banned
cleveridea said:
I only play single player games and I loved open world action RPG like oblivion, New Vegas etc.

Is this the best one for a single player experience, or not worth the extra $ given the cheap prices of prior games?

Go with Warband. It's a full product with a ton of mods available for it.

At this point, it sounds like Fire & Sword should be for fans only.

hmm game looks amazing though that youtube cynical brit video (great sales tool) does make guns seem overpowered, though I guess that kind of the point of them historically.

TheExodu5 said:
Go with Warband. It's a full product with a ton of mods available for it.

At this point, it sounds like Fire & Sword should be for fans only.

Ooh good point, I am a former console gamer back into the PC world again. I forgot about mods lol.

This game sure looks like a labor of love, I will probably try warband and probably WHEN I like it, will support the developer. Not happy losing Obsidion people and want to support the right types of hardcore RPG style games.

TheExodu5

Banned
When I get to this (still playing through a Warband campaign), I think I'm going to try to get a big force of muskets, and back them up with infantry with spears. Make them hold their line, and shoot down any incoming infantry/cavalry. I'm going to need to learn how to command my army though. As I've been playing Warband, I just let my army do their thing.

To anyone picking one of these games up: you're going to get a lot of playtime out of these. I've probably played my Warband campaign for 20+ hours and I'm nowhere near close to being done. I've played multiplayer for 3 times that, as well.

cleveridea said:
Ooh good point, I am a former console gamer back into the PC world again. I forgot about mods lol.

This game sure looks like a labor of love, I will probably try warband and probably WHEN I like it, will support the developer. Not happy losing Obsidion people and want to support the right types of hardcore RPG style games.

Sounds like a good plan.

That's basically why I bought Fire & Sword without waiting for impressions. I've played Warband more than almost any game this year, so I figured I'd show them a bit of support.

Is there a way to update my Steam version of Warband to the latest patch? The version I just dl'd during the weekend sale is too old for some of the latest mods. :l

I think I'm going to wait before firing up F&S.

TheExodu5

Banned
bonesmccoy said:
Is there a way to update my Steam version of Warband to the latest patch? The version I just dl'd during the weekend sale is too old for some of the latest mods. :l

I think I'm going to wait before firing up F&S.

It should be updated. I haven't had any mod issues.

Thx!

The last update seems to have been from December 2010 in Steam, while the last official one I think was released in March.

I'll have to check again. I'm trying to run the latest PoP mod, and its telling me that my Steam version is a few updates behind.

L00P said:
Stupid question, but how do I get out of towns?
Just left-click on the map. If you're in a dialog box, keep backtracking until you see the "leave" (or "leave town"?) option.

Edit: Oh yeah, or press TAB if you're actually "in" a town or tavern or ended battle.

Rekubot

Arg... I'm playing Warband and everything seems to be going against me. I have two completed quests but the people I need to talk to for the rewards have been taken prisoner in heavily fortified castles, deserters keep coming along and robbing me of 200 gold, (I learned after the first time not to bother fighting those overpowered SOBs), nobody is giving out quests anymore and I can't even find weak looters and brigands to level up on. What am I doing wrong?

Rekubot said:
Arg... I'm playing Warband and everything seems to be going against me. I have two completed quests but the people I need to talk to for the rewards have been taken prisoner in heavily fortified castles, deserters keep coming along and robbing me of 200 gold, (I learned after the first time not to bother fighting those overpowered SOBs), nobody is giving out quests anymore and I can't even find weak looters and brigands to level up on. What am I doing wrong?
I'm a novice as well, but I spent the whole weekend with Warband, so, for what it's worth this is how I've been starting out:

Ride around to the different villages (not castles or cities) that aren't looted and recruit volunteers. You'll probably get between 0-5 at each stop. Once you get up to around 10 or 15 guys (I actually wouldn't recommend more to start with), ride your merry group to a nearby "Training Ground".

Once there, do Sparring Practice against two guys at a time (or however many you can handle). Keep doing practice until your recruits are all able to level. Keep in mind that you should wait to level your troops until ALL of them at a certain level (e.g. "Swadian Recruit") are ready to upgrade. This is because troops gain experience faster when there are more guys like them around (I guess you could say they learn more when they're in a larger group of peers). Once you get them all leveled (note that you'll occasionally have to check your Party screen from the campaign map to see who is ready to upgrade), you can either level them again through training, which is a bit of a grind, or just strike out.

Once you've got your group and you're riding around, you should probably try to start riding between the big cities to visit taverns and recruit heroes. These are named units that will join your party for a price and their advantage is that they level up just like your main character, and they are also "invincible"--in that if they fall in combat, they only become wounded and you can just rest up to bring them back. Regular troops, be it trained villagers or mercenaries, will die in battle--meaning that Swadian Recruit that you trained into a Knight over several game-days may take a stray arrow to the gut and be gone for good. Heroes, on the other hand, will just get knocked out and will return once they're all patched up.

Note that heroes have personalities, unlike your regular troops, and may leave depending on which other heroes are in your party, or whether you lose some battles or even depending on whether you decide to raid towns or not. If that happens, I'm pretty sure they will end up in another tavern at some point in time and you can just re-recruit them for a fee.

Usually heroes are around 3-400 denars, so if you want to recruit them, you are going to have to make some money. I found it profitable to start with bandit groups around my size until my troops were all a few upgrades in (I chose to make all of my guys cavalry so that I could have more efficient map movement for hunting bandits) then move to the north to the Vaegir coastline and hunt Sea Raiders. They're tougher than your forest bandits, but they have better loot and can lead you to a nice income.

At this point, I recruited some more and got a good force of around 20-30 cavalry and started doing some mercenary work for the Nords--and that's where I'm at now. Hopefully that's helpful.

(Also, none of this is useful knowledge when starting Fire and Sword, which is a bummer.)

TheExodu5

Banned
Rekubot said:

Don't start off in Kerghit Kanate. Too many cavalry...you'll get your ass handed to you. Swadia seems to be an easy place to start out. They also produce really good knights. Also, make sure you're playing on the easiest difficulty setting.

Just go around and recruit a bunch of villagers. Go to the tavern and recruit a hero or two. Try to get one of the heroes with tracking/spotting/pathfinding. Tracking should help you find bandits.

TheExodu5 said:
Don't start off in Kerghit Kanate. Too many cavalry...you'll get your ass handed to you. Swadia seems to be an easy place to start out. They also produce really good knights. Also, make sure you're playing on the easiest difficulty setting.

Just go around and recruit a bunch of villagers. Go to the tavern and recruit a hero or two. Try to get one of the heroes with tracking/spotting/pathfinding. Tracking should help you find bandits.

Well, if you can manage to avoid the banditry in those lands, and pick up 20-30 tribal horsemen, you're well on your way to having a warband that's nigh invincible if used correctly. Horse Archers, though weak for seiging, are without equal in most of the field battles.

Early on, I always try to find a good trainer, or invest heavily in training myself. After you get to about Day 80 or so, you'll be at the point where Recruits are turning into upper-middle Archers/Men-at-Arms every few days.

Do I not train my dudes like in Warband? I'm not getting little plus signs on anyone but my NPCs and myself.

EDIT: Ha, I'm not alone

Top Bottom