• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mount&Blade: With Fire and Sword |OT| Romance, cruelty and drama in European history.

itxaka

Defeatist
question.

I got both of the firsts games and im starting to enjoying the first one. About 3/4 hours in and im loving it.

Should I get this one and leave the other or the new features aren't that good.

TheExodu5

Banned
itxaka said:
question.

I got both of the firsts games and im starting to enjoying the first one. About 3/4 hours in and im loving it.

Should I get this one and leave the other or the new features aren't that good.

Unrelated: you shouldn't be playing the first game. Play Warband instead. It's the same thing, only better.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You know the whole appeal of Mount & Blade to me is that it *doesn't* have guns. There aren't many medieval action games out there and I'm disappointed that they've decided to go in this direction for the series.

Sinatar said:
You know the whole appeal of Mount & Blade to me is that it *doesn't* have guns. There aren't many medieval action games out there and I'm disappointed that they've decided to go in this direction for the series.
Yeah, I'm not too excited about the addition of guns either. Thankfully, they'll at least be inaccurate and slow. The biggest draws for me are the historically based factions and a real map.

OttomanScribe said:
Crimean Khanate ftw. Guns are for chumps :p
It wouldn't surprise me at all if cavalry still is the king of the battlefield. It's going to be interesting to see how well balanced it is. My Sarranid Mamlukes were absolutely unstoppable in Warband. Here are some blurry examples of the troops in With Fire and Sword.

hj79U.jpg
OWW5r.jpg

qd7oN.jpg
iOagv.jpg

archnemesis said:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if cavalry still is the king of the battlefield. It's going to be interesting to see how well balanced it is. My Sarranid Mamlukes were absolutely unstoppable in Warband. Here are some blurry examples of the troops in With Fire and Sword.

PICS
Nice! :)

Yeah, Cavalry should still be good, just less armoured. I have seen vids, seems like there are pike squares that look like they would eat up a cavalry charge though...

archnemesis said:
Does anyone else care about the single player campaign?
Hell yeah. I'm not hugely interested in the multi-player at all. Not sure which faction I'll play as yet, haven't looked into the differences between them.

archnemesis said:
Yeah, I'm not too excited about the addition of guns either. Thankfully, they'll at least be inaccurate and slow. The biggest draws for me are the historically based factions and a real map.

Well, I see this game as a spinoff myself. I'm sure in the next M&B we'll return to the gunless fantasy setting of Warband. Still, the EU fan in me looooves the fact that we'll get the chance to play an action SRPG in this setting. So much potential for fun and it's a time period that hasn't really been explored properly as a game setting.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm expecting guns to replace crossbows, really. Close range to the head = death, everything else would be akin to shooting at an adversary charging at you and hitting your mother instead.

OttomanScribe said:
If pistols are as inaccurate as I am guessing, I'm gonna stick to horse archery.

Yeah from what I understand it's less that they're inaccurate, but more that they're inefficient, which will severely limit their use in-game.

thebeeks said:
Does that huge special edition box come with pewter miniatures? Super jealous.
I just added it to the OP because it looks awesome. It's actually an old release. With Fire and Sword has already been released twice in Eastern Europe. The first release was running it on the old vanilla Mount&Blade engine, and then they did another release with the improved Warband engine. The international release has a few new features and some other minor improvements.

charlemagne said:
Yeah from what I understand it's less that they're inaccurate, but more that they're inefficient, which will severely limit their use in-game.
I like the idea of a bunch of light cavalry with braces of pistols.. but I don't know how feasable it would be. It is in Warhammer :p

Empire+pistolier.jpg

OttomanScribe said:
If pistols are as inaccurate as I am guessing, I'm gonna stick to horse archery.

Given the time period, it's not the inaccuracy you have to worry about, it's the unreliableness (IE, failing to fire or blowing up in your face) and the slow reloading that will get you. But when they do work, no armor on the field is going to offer much protection against it, and when fired enmasse, no force is likely going to be ready to stand against a second volley. A wall of smoke and leaden death does horrible things to an opponents morale.

OttomanScribe said:
I like the idea of a bunch of light cavalry with braces of pistols.. but I don't know how feasable it would be. It is in Warhammer :p

Empire+pistolier.jpg

Not very unfortunately. With the way the fire arms of this period are loaded, the vibration of riding could work loose the wading, causing the powder or even the whole load to come out of the gun before it's drawn to fire. It's reasonable that footmen could carry them that way though (and certainly not unheard of). It was also not unheard of (especially in the case of sieges) for gunners to work in teams, having one guy shoot while one or two other guys work with him reloading and passing the shooter a fresh weapon so they could keep up a decent rate of fire almost on par with an archer.

Wanace

I love how you can customize each of your troops. I'm going to sink so much time into this it will be unreal.

Thinking a one-handed swordsman with a pistol sidearm as my main guy. Did a lot of damage with a bastard sword/shield combo in Warband.

installed the game earlier. but will have to wait until later to play :O~

edit: I need to mod in a benedict suit (from my avatar). huahua, hopefully can get a helmet what looks close enough. hmm, can't see anything in the screenshots

bengraven

Whenever people ask me what the game is about, I simply say "It's Pirates! with knights" and immediately they're like "okay, that works".

I have sold 3 copies for Taleworlds due to those four words.

Are there any tutorials detailing how to command troops? I've always just let everyone charge but after watching TotalHalibut's WTF video it seems control over your troops is necessary facing lines of muskets.

Frawdder

BattleMedic said:
Are there any tutorials detailing how to command troops? I've always just let everyone charge but after watching TotalHalibut's WTF video it seems control over your troops is necessary facing lines of muskets.
If it's like Warband (and if I remember correctly) pressing F1, F2, F3 etc should either bring up a menu with commands or execute an order.

I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF video and made me want to purchase it right away, but I'm going to hold off as I don't really have the time for it. It'll probably go on sale during the Steam summer sale, so I might grab it then. I look forward to reading everyone's impressions.

Fire and Sword looks pretty cool, but as I've never played these game before I decided to just pick up Warband by itself. For $6 I figure it'll be a decent taste of what Fir & Sword will offer. If I dig Warband, I'll pick the sequel down the road.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
just finnished DLing see you on the battlefield just keep retrying servers are strained from the EA deals the new one just hit so gotta keep at it

edit: steam cock block "this game is currently unavailable please try again at another time"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was able to download and install, but now when I try to play it says "Game is currently unavailable, please try again later".

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
we should of went with direct2drive instead lol every other D2D service already has it out

edit: NM steam wizards fixed it game is up now

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Frawdder said:
If it's like Warband (and if I remember correctly) pressing F1, F2, F3 etc should either bring up a menu with commands or execute an order.

I watched TotalBiscuit's WTF video and made me want to purchase it right away, but I'm going to hold off as I don't really have the time for it. It'll probably go on sale during the Steam summer sale, so I might grab it then. I look forward to reading everyone's impressions.

Whaaat I played Warband for like 12 hours this weekend and didn't know I could command my troops. I just let them do their thing, ha.

Almighty

Looks interesting though I will have to wait a little bit before I can pick it up. Just one question does anyone know if you will be able to create your own faction like you could in Warband?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm counting the minutes until I get home. Best SP PC Game ever. Here goes countless hours of my life again.

Just got M&B this weekend in the Steam sale and have been loving it. Pretty excited to try this out tonight. I hope the single player is as good as Warband. I'm not a MP guy, but love me some vassalage and bandit hunting.

vocab

First SP impressions:

Buggy

In the tutorial section, I cant even shoot the padlock off a simple door. But with the sword it takes zero effort.

Animation to holding a pistol is completely lulz because he's trying to hold it with two hands.

Online impressions:

Unplayable. Every server is laggy, and rubberbands all over the place.

2h's are slow as hell. Plate is completely broken (glancing off of plate on every swing). Grenades = holy shit, how is that balanced.

Overall it feels even slower than Warband, and I don't like it that much.

Top Bottom