• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets |OT| Region Free Yagawa, Rank, and BBW

Ramune

LiK said:
Damn, I should've preordered from them.

Meh, I just got my order from them, but I was unaware of any exclusive telephone cards or anything either. RS knew what was up. ^_^

LiK

Ramune said:
Meh, I just got my order from them, but I was unaware of any exclusive telephone cards or anything either. RS knew what was up. ^_^

yea, i checked the site and i don't remember they mentioning any phone cards with preorders. oh well, one less sale with them.

LiK said:
yea, i checked the site and i don't remember they mentioning any phone cards with preorders. oh well, one less sale with them.

There were 4 pre-orders up. One each for the regular and LE and one each of those with the phone card included. I thought about getting the phone card one but thought it was a little much since the entire reason I was ordering from AmiAmi in the first place was to spend less.

LiK

hikarutilmitt said:
There were 4 pre-orders up. One each for the regular and LE and one each of those with the phone card included. I thought about getting the phone card one but thought it was a little much since the entire reason I was ordering from AmiAmi in the first place was to spend less.

GODDAMN. guess when i did a search i didn't see the phone versions, lol. ah well.

Yes Boss!

Goddamn!

Playing Pink Sweets. So pretty. What an awesome game. So colorful. Even looks good with smoothing off, too!

Not sure if I'll get to MMP for a month but I did check out the Matsuri mode which is neat.

I had one of those phone cards for Death Smiles. I had no idea they were so sought after, I should have held on to it! Probably lost it somewhere.

I have a question for you guys: the last Cave shmup I bought was the Japanese Death Smiles... I got the LE, but I felt kinda burned since it wasn't a steelbook or anything.l.. how are the other LE's? Are any worth picking up? What do they come with besidest the soundtrack?

rabbitsyndrome

Neo Member
Got around to playing Muchi Muchi Pork yesterday and got my butt thoroughly whooped. I'm too scared to try out Pink Sweets now. D:

LiK said:
GODDAMN. guess when i did a search i didn't see the phone versions, lol. ah well.

I'm guessing that Amiami's going to get a phone card for Akai Katana Shin too, so you'll probably want to keep your eyes peeled. It's an extra twelve or so bucks, but I figure if you're going to spend $100+ on a game, you might as well get all the extra stuff you can. :)

Arpharmd B said:
I have a question for you guys: the last Cave shmup I bought was the Japanese Death Smiles... I got the LE, but I felt kinda burned since it wasn't a steelbook or anything.l.. how are the other LE's? Are any worth picking up? What do they come with besidest the soundtrack?

Most of the other LEs come with a soundtrack + an alternate cover compared to the standard editions. I think the only exception is Espgaluda II, which came with a nice looking faceplate in addition to the usual stuff. I say they're worth it, but if you don't really care about the music and want to save like $30-40, go for the regular edition.

After having played both for 2 hours last night, I really think the difficulty in PS is a bit overstated. It's not easy by any means but it's not as punishing as some others I've played.

LiK

rabbitsyndrome said:
I'm guessing that Amiami's going to get a phone card for Akai Katana Shin too, so you'll probably want to keep your eyes peeled. It's an extra twelve or so bucks, but I figure if you're going to spend $100+ on a game, you might as well get all the extra stuff you can. :)

Got around to playing Muchi Muchi Pork yesterday and got my butt thoroughly whooped. I'm too scared to try out Pink Sweets now. D:
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them.

Pink Sweets is way harder than MMP. :eek:

I wonder why they didn't give us two seperate releases for Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork, each with HD assets. Anyone know?

Daigoro

iconoclast said:
They're not really screwed up, they're just super basic. You can only map one button to one function, and the functions available are just the standard shot, laser, bomb, etc. There's no rapid fire or anything extra.

ah ok. thanks.

Arpharmd B said:
I wonder why they didn't give us two seperate releases for Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork, each with HD assets. Anyone know?

Neither game did very well in arcades, as far as I know. They probably figured it wouldn't be worth the money & time to give two unpopular games the full HD treatment.

Which is a shame too, since I'm starting to think Muchi Muchi Pork is the best game Cave has ever made.

Arpharmd B said:
High-res assets probably don't exist. These games are older than Mushi Futari and Deathsmiles.

LiK

Games look fine with smoothing off. And a real nice bargain for two games.

I love the Pink Sweets character designs. Hawt female characters.

Bebpo

Banned
_dementia said:
High-res assets probably don't exist. These games are older than Mushi Futari and Deathsmiles.

Muchi-muchi pork isn't that old. I'm not sure if Espgaluda II is older but they're around the same era.

It's definitely because these two weren't well received in Japan compared to their bigger releases.

Bebpo said:
Muchi-muchi pork isn't that old. I'm not sure if Espgaluda II is older but they're around the same era.

It's definitely because these two weren't well received in Japan compared to their bigger releases.

Yeah, Espgaluda 2 is older than both Pink Sweets and MMP. Mushi Futari is older than MMP as well.

Yes Boss!

LiK said:
Games look fine with smoothing off. And a real nice bargain for two games.

I love the Pink Sweets character designs. Hawt female characters.
I was surprised how good they look with smoothng off...much better than Guwange. Yeah, prolly cause they are newer games.

Hell yeah, the art in the Ibara games is so class...really pushes all my buttons. Cool characters, too. Only Princess Reco in Mushi is better.

hipgnosis

Still waiting for my copy to arrive, it's a damn long wait! Expected though since I went with Play-Asia and chose the cheapest shipping option.

So are guys playing with LCDs or CRTs? How does it look on an LCD?

It just arrived , I like MMP very much , Pink Sweets I already had on PCB .

I play on LCD and can't get a good picture when in Tate and can't get it stretched enough for some reason , it looks much better playing on Hori with borders so I have to fiddle some more later on .
Smoothing filter off looks a lot better to me .
Anyways , I'm of for some more Pork fun .

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
_dementia said:
curse our cheap asses :(

I wonder which one of us gets it sooner.
Well I got mine last night. :)

I'm pretty hooked on Pork, it's just blissfully fun and happy. The scoring system is nice and simple which is a good change of pace.

I haven't tried Pink Sweet yet.

LiK

Princess Skittles said:

I'm pretty hooked on Pork, it's just blissfully fun and happy. The scoring system is nice and simple which is a good change of pace.

MMP soundtrack makes me happy. I might buy the OST.

Princess Skittles said:

Congrats. I'm still waiting on mine.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LiK said:
MMP soundtrack makes me happy. I might buy the OST.
Yeah, the soundtrack makes me smile.

Cave should really put their stuff on iTunes since they're so mobile friendly, $30-$40 for a game soundtrack is rough.

LiK

iconoclast said:
Yeah, the Pink Sweets arrange is pretty awesome. I kinda suck at it though, only got 78m on my best run. I need to stop getting owned by lasers.

LASERS >_<

surly

Banned
My copy of this arrived today. I made a Japanese gamertag so I could grab the DLC via the code, but what is the DLC and how can I tell if it's working when I'm playing the game with my standard UK gamertag?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
_dementia said:
Congrats. I'm still waiting on mine.
When you get yours, tell me if you got a Wingdings code on your mailing label.

I'm not sure what to do with mine.. I haven't thrown it away yet.

surly said:
My copy of this arrived today. I made a Japanese gamertag so I could grab the DLC via the code, but what is the DLC and how can I tell if it's working when I'm playing the game with my standard UK gamertag?
Muchi Muchi Pork "Matsuri Mode."

It adds the bosses of Pink Sweets to MMP.

Not replaces, adds.

surly

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Muchi Muchi Pork "Matsuri Mode."

It adds the bosses of Pink Sweets to MMP.

Not replaces, adds.
Thanks mate! That's showing up for me in the menus when I'm playing with my UK gamertag so all is good. :)

The stage 4 arrange music in Pink Sweets is driving me nuts. It sounds like it came straight out of Touhou. :(

edit: Just beat the Pink Sweets arrange mode. Damn that was fun, one of the best arrange modes ever in a Cave game. Got 173m with Shasta.

First time I ever saw stage 7 too. Now I know where Legos are made!

iconoclast said:
The stage 4 arrange music in Pink Sweets is driving me nuts. It sounds like it came straight out of Touhou. :(

edit: Just beat the Pink Sweets arrange mode. Damn that was fun, one of the best arrange modes ever in a Cave game. Got 173m with Shasta.

First time I ever saw stage 7 too. Now I know where Legos are made!

Grats on the arrange mode clear. You have a good Muchi pork score too!

I'm at 47/50 achievements here, my verdict on the last three:

1. Clear Manpuku or Harahara mode (Muchi Muchi) - Probably doable, especially if you mess with the extends and difficulty. Possibly the easier of the three.

2. Destroy all enemies in stage 6 of Pink Sweets (Arrange). Tried this one for about three hours the other day, I could swear I killed every enemy, even had hadou guns going off on the sides of the screen to catch strays. Still no pop...Thoroughly flummoxed here.

3. Clear Pink Sweets Harder or Extended mode. Well, extended is out of the question since it's 2 loops, so Harder it is. Went in on this today. I can get to mid-stage 4, but that stage just murders the shit out of me. In Harder, there are twice the amount of snakes as normal and they rush you down. There's one guy who has managed to clear this mode (god on earth), and in his replay he's flipping the rose hips around to different angles in order to take out the snakes. It seems like this mode requires you to do a lot of messing with your rose hip formations, which I'm not used to yet. Stage 4 is a huge wall for me at the moment.

Mostly this is because of the 3rd stage mid-boss and boss. I tend to eat shit at one point on the 3rd stage mid-boss which loses me rose hips, and when you're dealing with a rush of destructible bullets, not having enough rose hips can = instant death. Then there's the stage 3 boss itself, which is fine except for the last pattern. If it throws the bombs at me, I want to just flee to the top of the screen, but it immediately does a brutal danmaku pattern after this, nailing me...Not sure how to get through this one safe.

I was thinking that maybe it would be easiest to mess with the extends for Harder and see if that would make it more feasible. I got a little farther but the bottom line is that if you die once in this mode you're probably going to lose the rest of your lives. For that reason I'm just going at it with default extends.

I tried messing with the settings in Harahara yesterday. I set the difficulties as low as they could go, extends to 5m, etc. but I didn't even notice a difference. Some of the stages aren't much different from normal mode, but other ones get a huge difficulty boost. I think that achievement is way beyond me for now, at least until I can clear normal mode (consistently). The stage 4 and 5 bosses still destroy me... especially stage 4. Seriously why the hell is that boss so hard.

iconoclast said:
I tried messing with the settings in Harahara yesterday. I set the difficulties as low as they could go, extends to 5m, etc. but I didn't even notice a difference. Some of the stages aren't much different from normal mode, but other ones get a huge difficulty boost. I think that achievement is way beyond me for now, at least until I can clear normal mode (consistently). The stage 4 and 5 bosses still destroy me... especially stage 4. Seriously why the hell is that boss so hard.

Stage 5 boss I needed 3 lives going in for. I bombed the shit out of him and spared no quarter...

Stage 4 is yeah, brutal. I was playing with the yellow girl and even if you try to nail the left and right parts of the boss as it comes on-screen with her laser, you won't get to the right one in time and you'll have to bomb. Which leaves with 1 bomb for the rest of the fight, or, in other words, you're about to die.

Speaking of brutal bosses, how about Pink Sweets Stage 5 boss??? Jesus that thing murderized me.

Think about it though, if you set extends to 5m, you should be able to extend twice on stage 1 alone. Other stages, just on the stage themselves you'll be extended 2 or 3 times. As long as you keep your pork at 10,000, it doesn't matter how brutal the patterns are IMO, it should be doable.

Yes Boss!

conman said:
Just ordered. While I'm stoked that this is region free, being a shmup fan is damn expensive...
Hmm,

Two games...$40 each ain't too bad!

Plus there are a lot of versions of each. Even something called 1.00 and 1.01 of the vanilla titles (not sure what is the difference).

And brilliant...I've never used the change soundtrack on a Cave title for 360 but I've placed the Pink Sweets Arrange tracks into normal Pink Sweets for super aural pleasure...best way to play! Nice option.

Still have not broken 2 million on normal Pink Sweets. That is my modest score! Playing the girl with glasses since she seems the most powerful.

robot

Yes Boss! said:
Hmm,

Plus there are a lot of versions of each. Even something called 1.00 and 1.01 of the vanilla titles (not sure what is the difference).

And brilliant...I've never used the change soundtrack on a Cave title for 360 but I've placed the Pink Sweets Arrange tracks into normal Pink Sweets for super aural pleasure...best way to play! Nice option.

Still have not broken 2 million on normal Pink Sweets. That is my modest score! Playing the girl with glasses since she seems the most powerful.

I was a little hesitant myself since either game was getting the HD treatment and I wasn't a fan of the last Cave game I imported (ESPgaluda 2) but pulled the trigger anyway. I was quickly smacked by the awesomeness of both games - I can't decide which I love better.

I've put more time into Muchi Muchi Pork, and like most Cave shooters - I'm an amateur when it comes to scoring. I'm starting to wrap my ahead around the strategies in MMP and will probably go back to Pink Sweets in a few weeks. Pink Sweets seems more like a survival game versus scoring but I've been wrong plenty of times with these games. Part of the reason I love these games is figuring out what the hell is going on with the scoring mechanics.

Mushihimesama Futari still remains my favorite Cave shooter, but this collection is way too good to pass up.

Yes Boss!

Yep,

Mushi Futari still the best...then Espgaluda 2...then this set. Those are my favorites so far.

Still play for survival on all these games. If I can mix a little extra scoring then all the better.

Have not really touched Pork yet. I basically consider this a Pink Sweets release with an added game of Pork. It does seem like most cosider the release opposite-like.

I play PS exactly like I played my Ibara PCBs...shoot to survive and then bomb to get those medals/flowers up like in Raiden Fighters.. Likely doing it all wrong but I've not read a guide and I'm having fun playing that way. Pink Sweets Arrange is quite a bit like Ibara BL in the way you change all those bullets...feels the same.

For folks with the official Pink Sweets Soundtrack, is it the same as the 36-minute disc that comes in the LE or are there added tracks? Wondering if I need to order the official OST from the International Cave store.

conman

Yes Boss! said:
Hmm,

Oh, no worries. I don't regret it in the least. It's just that initial sticker shock. I just keep telling myself that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a Japanese 360--which is exactly what I'd do if not for these occasional region-free releases.

Top Bottom