• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspects |OT| That niche cinematic ghost game no one's talking about

PBalfredo

Thanks for the reminder about this game, OP. Ghost stories and detectives are both in my wheelhouse, so I'm pretty down with the game's concept of playing as a ghost cop.

There was one, but looking it was just taken down. D:

However, GamersGate has the game for the same price (USD) as the game costed with the 20% coupon (even one cent less!): http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MSS/murdered-soul-suspect

It says "Pre-Order" but right under it is a countdown that has three days left on it. It comes out tomorrow right? So is the $35 offer good for three days which should let me see reviews about the game tomorrow before having to commit?

I'm pretty interested in the game, but money's tight and I want to see if it's being sent out to die at retail because there's something wrong, or just because publishers don't know how to market anything that isn't AAA these days.

sector4

Oh boy, I've had this pre-ordered for ages! Can't wait to play it. It might be average, but I've been enjoying a lot of B-Grade games lately (Amazing Spider-Man 2, Bound by Flame) :D

Wulfegang

So my copy just shipped from Amazon but I noticed it was only $45 on Steam (I didn't realize it was releasing on Steam so figured I would go with PS4). Anyone think I should return my Amazon copy and just get the Steam version? Been burned once by "Watch Dogs" and would hate to have the same thing happen for another $60.

I really hate this "Where's the hype?" story being repeated ad nauseum in this thread and others whenever a game comes out without media fanfare. Those saying this, you do realize you have become utter slaves to the marketing and advertising machine that is these huge companies entire focus?

Just because you aren't being oversold something by EA or Ubisoft, doesn't mean the game isn't worth it. Why does there need to be "hype" surrounding this game? You can guarantee there will be middling scores for this game, no matter the quality, simply because the reviewers are the worst victims of this "hype" train, or lack thereof.

I haven't played this game yet, it's in my GF queue. WHy do so many people need to be told what to think about a game? Try it all for yourself.

I expect those who like the sort of 'cinematic gaming', or detective work-game style to be fun. How good it pulls it off was kind of hard to judge early on, but I was interested. A slow-paced game that I don't think will be for everyone at the very least, though.

So is it more Heavy Rain or LA Noire? Because I loved the former and hated the latter.

spectyre

My PSN account has $70.02 US in it. If this game reviews decently I might just jump at full price. I'm kinda on the fence between this and Watch Dogs. I might just hold out for TLoU.

I really hate this "Where's the hype?" story being repeated ad nauseum in this thread and others whenever a game comes out without media fanfare. Those saying this, you do realize you have become utter slaves to the marketing and advertising machine that is these huge companies entire focus?

Just because you aren't being oversold something by EA or Ubisoft, doesn't mean the game isn't worth it. Why does there need to be "hype" surrounding this game? You can guarantee there will be middling scores for this game, no matter the quality, simply because the reviewers are the worst victims of this "hype" train, or lack thereof.

I haven't played this game yet, it's in my GF queue. WHy do so many people need to be told what to think about a game? Try it all for yourself.

Because I don't have unlimited time and money and I'd like to know that the game I'm buying isn't a complete pile of trash. I don't think that this game will be terrible, but vague initial reactions seem mixed and I'd certainly like to hear some more fleshed out views from those who've played the full game. I don't expect a masterpiece, but if it gets a mostly bad reception I'm not going to waste my money on it.

So is it more Heavy Rain or LA Noire? Because I loved the former and hated the latter.
Unfortunately more like the latter it seems like. Heavy Rain was unpredictable in a sense what gameplay scenario it would throw next at you. You knew you would have to do something with the right stick or complete interaction prompts, but not in which context. It always stayed fresh in that sense and the game was not afraid to drop mechanics or only use them for a single chapter.

Soul Suspect definitely seems to have the L.A Noire vibe aka you enter a crime scene, look at every clue and ask every question there is to ask. Then you move on. Every other time they throw a stealth segment with the same mechanics at you. At least that's what happened in the first 2 hours of the game I quickly went through. Maybe it does change up.

Positively speaking for the game is the fact that the clues are slightly more difficult to find or put together than Noire. But that's not saying much. Oh and there is at least one awesome mechanic so far that hopefully gets more use. That's already better than Noire I guess.

Because I don't have unlimited time and money and I'd like to know that the game I'm buying isn't a complete pile of trash. I don't think that this game will be terrible, but vague initial reactions seem mixed and I'd certainly like to hear some more fleshed out views from those who've played the full game. I don't expect a masterpiece, but if it gets a mostly bad reception I'm not going to waste my money on it.

Understood, mainly my irritation is at the idea that if the media had been "hyping" all of us, people would probably be buying it anyways, just cause we were told to. That's more the intent of my post. Waiting for -real- non advertising driven impressions is perfectly fine though.

Unfortunately more like the ladder it seems like. Heavy Rain was unpredictable in a sense what gameplay scenario it would throw next at you. You knew you would have to do something with the right stick or complete interaction prompts, but not in which context. It always stayed fresh in that sense and the game was not afraid to drop mechanics or only use them for a single chapter.

Soul Suspect definitely seems to have the L.A Noire vibe aka you enter a crime scene, look at every clue and ask every question there is to ask. Then you move on. Every other time they throw a stealth segment with the same mechanics at you. At least that's what happened in the first 2 hours of the game I quickly went through. Maybe it does change up.

Positively speaking for the game is the fact that the clues are slightly more difficult to find or put together than Noire. But that's not saying much. Oh and there is at least one awesome mechanic so far that hopefully gets more use. That's already better than Noire I guess.

Well, I should say my dislike of LA Noire comes from the fact I found the scenarios and means of going through them extremely boring. If this is more interesting and has a more interesting story, I'd check it out. I already find the concept appealing and would like an intriguing detective game if the mysteries are actually good, so if the similarities end at the genre, I'd still play it.

Epcott

Thought more people would be hyped for this, as it's something to play for the PS4.

I may get this next week. Need to find out how long the game is.

Was surprised to see a trailer for this at the cinema when I saw Godzilla. Cautiously optimistic. I don't think its fair to this game to compare it to ghost trick so much just because of the similarity in its premise...Is it really as puzzle gameplay centric as GT?

EDIT: To clarify, GT:pD is AWESOME, I'm just saying I'm unclear if this game is trying to do something similar.

Was surprised to see a trailer for this at the cinema when I saw Godzilla. Cautiously optimistic. I don't think its fair to this game to compare it to ghost trick so much just because of the similarity in its premise...Is it really as puzzle gameplay centric as GT?

EDIT: To clarify, GT:pD is AWESOME, I'm just saying I'm unclear if this game is trying to do something similar.

The "you're dead and a ghost and can manipulate the environment in an attempt to find your killer" seems as far as the comparison goes, at least looking at the trailers. The devs have even claimed that they had no knowledge of Ghost Trick when coming up with the premise.

I don't think that they look especially similar, especially tonally. The comparison really only comes from the setup, I agree that comparing them isn't really fair.

The "you're dead and a ghost and can manipulate the environment in an attempt to find your killer" seems as far as the comparison goes, at least looking at the trailers. The devs have even claimed that they had no knowledge of Ghost Trick when coming up with the premise.

I don't think that they look especially similar, especially tonally. The comparison really only comes from the setup, I agree that comparing them isn't really fair.

No knowledge is their loss! Will be paying attention to how this game is received.

Well, I should say my dislike of LA Noire comes from the fact I found the scenarios and means of going through them extremely boring. If this is more interesting and has a more interesting story, I'd check it out. I already find the concept appealing and would like an intriguing detective game if the mysteries are actually good, so if the similarities end at the genre, I'd still play it.
Considering I found Noire's story sleep inducing, yes SS is a hell lot more intriguing from what I watched. Story and some of the voice acting is the best part so far I would say. Definetly want to see where it goes, even if the means to get there only seem slightly more exciting than Noire. At least no dumb shootout sequences.

Not really. The combinations you sometimes have to do can be solved by a 4 year old. Maybe it gets harder later on.

I get an Alan Wake-ish vibe from the screen shots, is this similar in any regards?
Not really I would say. No TPS elements pretty much.

Any idea if anyone reviewing this? They told me they can send a review copies mid-week.
Pretty sure the big sites have copies. It doesnt look that bad that they would refuse to send them out completely. Will get reviews and a MetaScore in the 60 range I would say.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Preordered the PC version for $27 AUD. All I need now is my Steam key and my graphics card to come back.

Do we know who's doing the PC port? Nixxes don't appear to be. I hope it's good.

Y0j1mb0

Saw someone on the PS4 streaming this and it looked interesting. Not I need to buy this interesting but interesting nevertheless. I'm afraid without much fanfare this game will bomb. Will wait for reviews on this but I get a feeling I'll be picking this up a long time from now when the price is right.

DukeBobby

Pretty sure the big sites have copies. It doesnt look that bad that they would refuse to send them out completely. Will get reviews and a MetaScore in the 60 range I would say.

The length will surely knock a few points off.

5-6 hours is not really acceptable for a full priced title.

Luckily, I got it cheap.

Karak

I'm looking at some gameplay and it looks terrible. The next gen thirst is real.

Something arrived in the mail. Excited. I don't think I have anything else coming but this from companies. Might be an all nighter. Haven't watched any tubes of this or anything. I want to keep my review just my impression but reading this thread it does sound like at the very least it will be interesting.

JayEH

Man, Square didn't even put this game up for pre order on PSN. They really are sending this game out to be murdered.

Grief.exe

Man, Square didn't even put this game up for pre order on PSN. They really are sending this game out to be murdered.

'This game isn't going to do well in the market, so we are going to insure it does even worse.'

Can't wait to hear, 'didn't perform to expectations.'

Wasn't there some old PS2 game that came out a while ago with a similar concept? All I can think about when I hear this game is that one.
Anyway, this game wasn't on my radar until earlier today when I saw the trailers. Looks interesting, will probably pick it up on Steam during a sale.

CyReN

No Giantbomb review:/

edc5c60e024ab8251abf28bcdf289a22.png

Top Bottom