• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspects |OT| That niche cinematic ghost game no one's talking about

Takao

Banned
89/100 from Games Beat

Murdered: Soul Suspect is one of the most surprisingly good games I’ve played in a long time. It manages to sell its bizarre premise and builds a solid, moving story out of it, and the plot-propelling investigations add immensely to the detective feel. Walking around as a ghost is clever and entertaining, and it even manages to inject variety into some of gaming’s most overused elements.

GavinUK86

Joystiq: 3.5/5 (70/100)

That said, the mystery at the heart of Murdered really is excellent, and putting the pieces together crime scene by crime scene should satisfy many an armchair sleuth. The hidden ghost stories are well worth finding, and though Ronan is a bit of a dull fish, the people who surround him are worth getting to know, however briefly. With some truly great ideas and some unfortunate choices, Murdered: Soul Suspect and its ghostly hero is neither heaven nor hell, but something in between.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/03/murdered-soul-suspect-review-good-cop-dead-cop/

Huh. Never heard of it before now. From bits of that 40 minute preview some things looked good. Some of the otherwordly effects, the crime solving, the outright-just-walking-through-everything, mind-reading, the way the enemies moved (creepy).

I can see having to deal with the enemies as getting old fast though. Some UI stuff looked annoying - that issue where they pause the game every 2 seconds for a tutorial screen. Got a feeling its short.

I like the concept a lot though even though its certainly been done before.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Reviews are about what I expected from the the hour I played from it. Still have it pre-ordered and think I personally will enjoy it.

Average range of reviews is 5-7, but there's some high 8s and 9s thrown in, and one 3 thrown in. Game length is all over the place (some say its 5 hours, some say its 12) but I think this is mainly due to all the side content. Generally from what I'm reading, people are saying the main flaws are easy puzzles, 'cinematic gaming' elements, and it being linear. The strengths people are citing are its story, atmosphere, and side-quest element.

That's the breakdown I have so far. It being polarizing does not surprise me, and I expect the game may do a bit better with certain gamers and find some niche cult audience.

For those curious, so far here's the lowest and highest review for comparison:

Metro (3/10): http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/03/murdered-soul-suspect-review-ghost-detective-4747805/

OnlySP (9/10): http://www.onlysp.com/murdered-soul-suspect-review/

Tokubetsu

Reviews are about what I expected from the the hour I played from it. Still have it pre-ordered and think I personally will enjoy it.

Average range of reviews is 5-7, but there's some high 8s and 9s thrown in, and one 3 thrown in. Game length is all over the place (some say its 5 hours, some say its 12) but I think this is mainly due to all the side content. Generally from what I'm reading, people are saying the main flaws are easy puzzles, 'cinematic gaming' elements, and it being linear. The strengths people are citing are its story, atmosphere, and side-quest element.

That's the breakdown I have so far. It being polarizing does not surprise me, and I expect the game may do a bit better with certain gamers and find some niche cult audience.

For those curious, so far here's the lowest and highest review for comparison:

Metro (3/10): http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/03/murdered-soul-suspect-review-ghost-detective-4747805/

OnlySP (9/10): http://www.onlysp.com/murdered-soul-suspect-review/

Haven't dug into any yet but have they said anything about handling the demons (is it time consuming/annoying/a hassle etc)? That's always been my main concern.

are there any huge differences between current and last gen consoles...I would assume not for a game like this. Might rent it from redbox if last gen holds up well. Not sure why they still refuse to stock current gen games

Why'd they price it at $60? Seems like this game would do a lot better at $40.
Big mistakes yes.

The length will surely knock a few points off.

5-6 hours is not really acceptable for a full priced title.

Luckily, I got it cheap.
Yeah, scores are exactly as I predicted. $40 would have helped a little bit I guess. Surprising the main complaint isn't even length in most of them though. At least they took their time. Oh and you definitely will like one mechanic about the game I'm pretty sure.

Daffy Duck

It's an OK game, nothing very special at all. There are some very odd design choices that have been made, there is no penalty whatsoever for getting things wrong when solving cases.

It's like LA Noire with ghosts and without free roam. It's a great idea, just falls short of what it was trying to achieve for me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Every review so far (from lowest rated to highest rated):

A game where sadly the idea is a lot better than the execution, especially given the low budget visuals and mediocre script.

Metro - 3/10

Frustrating and unrewarding crime solving surrounded by inconsistent gameplay systems.

CVG - 5/10

Murdered: Soul Suspect has some neat concepts, but it is not a success. A few elements of its supernatural murder mystery may hold your interest, but it ultimately feels hollow because it lacks any real challenge or entertainment in solving that mystery.

Escapist - 2.5/5

It's really sad to see Murdered: Soul Suspect die on its feet. There's some interesting characters and backstory, as well as some really great visuals (depending on what or who you're looking at), but the game's strengths are haunted by mediocre gameplay and substandard production values. You won't feel any cleverer having solved Soul Suspect's mystery, nor will you feel tested by its combat; it's a death that's all the more depressing because of how quickly you'll forget it.

GamesRadar - 2.5/5

While a welcome break from the tired retreadings that define most games, Murdered: Soul Suspect finds itself in a precarious place where narrative value, above all else, is of chief importance. But while the deadlike denizens of Salem might sound right for this sort of game, the absence of compelling characters keeps what’s otherwise an interesting idea from landing any staying power.

EGM - 5.5/10

There are some great concepts in Murdered: Soul Suspect, but they feel undercooked or underutilised, and the lack of demand for any real input from us makes Murdered feel like a pick-a-path game where there’s only one path. It scrapes by on the power of its central whodunnit mystery, but I can’t help but feel that Murdered: Soul Suspect is ten hours worth of unfinished business.

IGN - 5.5/10

I gave it a huge chance and pushed through the bitterness of everything listed above, but it was at that point I’d detected that Airtight Games had sprung a leak in its hull, and it’s a real shame. The concept and setting here were ripe for out-of-left-field explosiveness, but due to a lack of direction and capitalisation, and likely a small budget, all we’re left with is a lifeless game that fails to live up to its potential.

AusGamers - 6/10

It's still a great looking game, and the core narrative is a fun, if underdone and derivative one. It's simply disappointing that this game had a reasonably large budget, and in the process it lost some of its identity and seems to be shoehorned into some very unnecessary and destructive mechanics. This game would have been far better off being made for a fraction of the budget by a small team willing to take real risks.

Digitally Downloaded - 3/5

Murdered: Soul Suspect is definitely a qualified success. The richness of the atmosphere and charismatic lead performances pulled me through the story. That paired with a solid, no-frills investigation mechanic helped mitigate some of the technical problems and the sadly tacked-on demon hunting sequences. It's a distinctly average experience, but it has enough going for it that I'm glad I was able to conquer the bugs and see it through.

Shacknews - 6/10

That said, the mystery at the heart of Murdered really is excellent, and putting the pieces together crime scene by crime scene should satisfy many an armchair sleuth. The hidden ghost stories are well worth finding, and though Ronan is a bit of a dull fish, the people who surround him are worth getting to know, however briefly. With some truly great ideas and some unfortunate choices, Murdered: Soul Suspect and its ghostly hero is neither heaven nor hell, but something in between.

Joystiq - 3.5/5

Murdered: Soul Suspect is awash in tropes, but somehow, that's part of the charm. It's a pulpy detective tale remixed as a classic ghost story, and it works as a sort of playable B-movie. It's linear and mechanically simple, but it flows well and keeps a fast pace, at least as long as I wasn't chasing down demons. Supernatural Salem was a rich, sad, beautiful place to visit, and as it turned out, Ronan was the perfect tour guide.

Polygon - 7/10

Although a little bland at times, Soul Suspect's storyline kept me gripped and it's a genuinely beautiful game. You'd think walking through objects would look glitchy and gross, but it makes the game totally worth playing just for that feature itself.
Soul Suspect explores some new ideas and executes them with precision and without giving anything away, I highly recommend you play this one all the way to the end for its highly satisfying conclusion.

3News - 3.5/5

Murdered: Soul Suspect is a solid release that will definitely scratch the itch of any aspiring Hercule Poirot. Ronan is an intriguing lead-character and his supporting cast each have their own quirks. The game will keep you glued to your controller throughout, even if the game is slightly on the short-side. An unforgettable, enjoyable experience that we hope to see more of in this new generation.

Flickering Myth - 8/10

(Google Translated) Verdict: A pleasant surprise. Adventurní game with some stealth nipples, which is based mainly on good treatment of the story and a few non-traditional game mechanics. Man pity length that makes the story but get bored. Some might discourage a slower pace due to the total absence of action or a little formulaic gameplay, because every investigation is conducted according to the same template. But despite all the complaints, I can say that for me it was not the best game I've played on my PS4.

Eurogamer.cz - 8/10

This game is unlike anything else on the market, so if you enjoy a good story, while doing missions for the recently deceased all while trying to solve your very own murder from beyond the grave… Then this game is something you have to pickup.

Fanboy Feed - 8.4/10

Amidst a release schedule of sequels and games where all you do is shoot people in the face, Murdered: Soul Suspect is a breath of fresh air. Sure it sounds a little silly that you play as a ghost-cop, but its story and hands-on investigation sequences make for a compelling and unique experience you won’t find in any other AAA title releasing this year.

MMGN - 8.5/10

Overall, Murdered: Soul Suspect is a bit of fresh air in a gaming world where sequels are prevailing. It’s not balls-to-the-wall action, but it certainly is perfectly paced, well written and a joy to experience. You won’t be upset if you give it a try.

Stevior - 8.5/10

Murdered: Soul Suspect is one of the most surprisingly good games I’ve played in a long time. It manages to sell its bizarre premise and builds a solid, moving story out of it, and the plot-propelling investigations add immensely to the detective feel. Walking around as a ghost is clever and entertaining, and it even manages to inject variety into some of gaming’s most overused elements.

VentureBeat - 89/100

Murdered: Soul Suspect has no pretensions. It is a linear mystery story, told well. You might not find much replayability here, but the six or so hours it takes to wander through the plot plus a few extra hours to find all the collectables is plenty entrancing. That a game can deliver a strongly directed mystery narrative, engaging clue-finding gameplay that actually makes you feel involved in the discovery process, and never feel padded or old is rather special. While some more additional content and a tiny bit more polish would not have gone astray, Murdered: Soul Suspect elegantly delivers on its promise of telling a strong mystery story through an interactive format.

OnlySP - 9/10

Kotaku - No

Shopto:
When starting Murdered: Soul Suspect I wasn’t really expecting too much but by the end I just wanted more. Despite not being the most technically impressive game in the world, Murdered: Soul Suspect is an immersive and impressive experience. Sometimes a game surprises you and this is one of those times.

WITHE1982

Such a shame after the game looked so promising. I'll await the inevitable price drop then pick this up on PS4, as the concept and setting still really interests me, even if the execution is a bit lacking.

I've just got my PC Steam key from GMG where it only cost me £14.50, thanks to having £7.50 worth of credit earned from playing PC games through PlayFire.

I did want this for my PS4 but the amount of tearing that I noticed in the walkthroughs of the release build on YouTube just put me right off it. Probably a good thing really as the PS4 version was £44 on Amazon vs. less than £15 on GMG.

Getting this on Steam for fun. Should run well on my crap laptop, the min requirements are rather laughable but to be expected from a cross gen UE3 engine based game.

This is probably the final year that my laptop'll be able cope with these releases thanks to cross gen. 5 years old, and it's still punching above its weight class. Thank you extended console generation lol.

Nemesis_

I think here in Australia it's kind of crazy they're launching it at the full price ($99AU) which is what both Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs launched at recently.

I sense this isn't as big in terms of scale compared to those two games.

Regardless, I've got a copy for XBO pre-ordered. Really interested in the story, setting and characters. Reviews are a bit all over the place but I've never been one to pay them any attention if I'm being completely honest.

Anung

Un Rama
Middling to decent reviews. I'm still on board. Hoping for a decent niche title. Not everything has to be omfg nexus 7/10 hype dew.

Kotaku saying the story sucks has confirmed my fears. Such an interesting concept ruined by a developer who could not do anything with it. I so wanted this game to be good. Oh well!

Edit: Wow, no punishment for wrong guesses? Then why would I not just try everything till one works? *Sigh*

You get a 10 dollar gift card from Best Buy if you order it online. Looks like it has to be online only though as it says it excludes Store Pickup. I'll be picking this bad boy up around noon after I get through some meetings at work.

aravuus

Kotaku saying the story sucks has confirmed my fears. Such an interesting concept ruined by a developer who could not do anything with it. I so wanted this game to be good. Oh well!

Edit: Wow, no punishment for wrong guesses? Then why would I not just try everything till one works? *Sigh*

One dude saying the story sucks confirms your fears? Damn.

Parsnip

Preload complete, based on the reviews I'll enjoy it for what is (rather than complain about what it isn't). We'll see soon enough.

Murdered at retail indeed

DukeBobby, I think you overshot that Metacritic guess

I really hate this "Where's the hype?" story being repeated ad nauseum in this thread and others whenever a game comes out without media fanfare. Those saying this, you do realize you have become utter slaves to the marketing and advertising machine that is these huge companies entire focus?

Just because you aren't being oversold something by EA or Ubisoft, doesn't mean the game isn't worth it. Why does there need to be "hype" surrounding this game? You can guarantee there will be middling scores for this game, no matter the quality, simply because the reviewers are the worst victims of this "hype" train, or lack thereof.

I haven't played this game yet, it's in my GF queue. WHy do so many people need to be told what to think about a game? Try it all for yourself.

Why would I be on GAF at all if I didn't find other people's opinions on games helpful or at least entertaining?

And I'm pretty sure when people say "where's the hype", they mean GAF hype. This place is insular as fuck sometimes which is not always a good thing at all, but it makes threads hilarious with people feeding off of each other's enthusiasm.

Sure sometimes people discuss advertising or throw trailers around and coo at them, but for the most part people around here at worst behave like they're at the schoolyard, not like 12 years olds sitting in front of the tube with a box of Cap'n Crunch waiting for the Turtles to tell them which Rocksteady figure to beg their parents for. Maybe I'm reading different threads than you, maybe I subconsciously filter out the kinds of posts you're shooting at.

Win
sjuoc4atbci7rcgrmdxk.gif

jcm

Man, the reviews are bad :( I still will buy the game but I am going to wait till it drops to $40.

I think I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure I'll have fun with it, but I'm also pretty sure the price is going to collapse fast.

Marjar

Banned
Played only about a half hour so far, but it's pretty neat actually. Definitely interested in seeing where it goes, even if the gameplay is pretty linear.

Top Bottom