• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Episode 21

Ok this was exactly what I wanted from this episode. They took one of the chapters which I tink had some great potential for being expended upon and BONES did exactly that. This single chapter which had mostly single panel fights had them all turned into a few minutes of exciting match time, the best extension being Ashido vs Aoyama. The details they added to this fight were great and made great use of each characters personality. Same thing pretty much happened with the others. We got some great insight on each of these characters based on those extended scenes in which we did not have in the manga. Kaminari's determination, Yaoyorozu lacks of self-confidence, we got more Kirishima and Tetsu blood-pumping manliness and Hatsume's perfect infomercial.(which was the less expended upon, but still full of greatness). Also we had ton of side-stuff added like Monoma coming and ditching on class 1-A after Kaminari'S lost.
TsOqmHM.jpg
GwiHb4S.jpg
mS80GzR.jpg
The best part of this episode was Ochako realising she was staying too much in Deku's shadow and that if she wanted to finally stand-out as a hero she needed to stand on her own! Look at that determined face!
Next episode is going to be insane! Great job on today's episode.

What Mei did was obvious beforehand imo, but I expected Lida to be in on it instead of being tricked. Though it makes sense that Lida would never accept her making a farce out of that fight, the end result was extremely funny to watch. Mae is bae.

They sure are building the hype for this Uraraka vs Bakugo fight, I hope it at least takes the entire next episode(if not 2).

NSESN

Guys it is Iida.
I loved the episode. Bones fixed the only bad part that this arc had in manga. Also loved the hype building for baku vs ochako

Raxus

FYI it was this chapter that people added tech girl to Best Girl wars.

Like everyone said this was pretty great. It expanded on the chapters what needed to expanded upon. Nearly every fight outside of Iida's was one panel. Glad you are enjoying it. Not really spoilers but I will tag just in case.
The art for the upcoming fights are pretty off the charts. I will try and find some panels when the episodes air.

Fair warning. If you are a fan of Mother's Basement, avoid his MHA video. While it is great it has not 1 but 2 massive spoilers. One of which is not tagged and the other isn't even covered for this season.

I remember reading the manga and everybody propelling Mei to new heights cuz of her manipulation of Lida. Next episode is gonna be really good though since the tournament is about to really ramp up.

NSESN

FYI it was this chapter that people added tech girl to Best Girl wars.

Like everyone said this was pretty great. It expanded on the chapters what needed to expanded upon. Nearly every fight outside of Iida's was one panel. Glad you are enjoying it. Not really spoilers but I will tag just in case.
The art for the upcoming fights are pretty off the charts. I will try and find some panels when the episodes air.

Fair warning. If you are a fan of Mother's Basement, avoid his MHA video. While it is great it has not 1 but 2 massive spoilers. One of which is not tagged and the other isn't even covered for this season.
Yep. Don't even read the comments, they are pretty huge.

Man, Tokoyami is the best. Just did his business and left without saying a word.

Of course, I'm conflicted because Momo is my best girl.

Heh, they gave Monoma more of his crazy obnoxious moments. I don't think he became unhinged until later on, but I guess it all probably escalated after losing in the sports contest anyways.

Also, why is everyone calling Iida Lida?

ShadyK54

Momo > Uraraka = Mei

On topic: great episode! Always love seeing the students who don't get as much time to shine get the spotlight.

Favorite parts of the episode have to be Midoriya muttering like a madman & taking his notes, Aoyama after taking Ashido's uppercut, & Momo v Tokoyami (Dark Shadow is too cool).

Feeling the hype for next week's big match! Not to mention the fact that (as stated earlier) the tournamemt kicks into another gear after Uraraka v Bakugo.

Raxus

Heh, they gave Monoma more of his crazy obnoxious moments. I don't think he became unhinged until later on, but I guess it all probably escalated after losing in the sports contest anyways.

TFW you take an L so large you are legally obligated to change your name.

I have been thinking about this, but it would be really cool if they change for a boy version of the ending for the second ending. They really made an awesome ending for the girls.

NEO0MJ

I was surprised that Mei's quirk was just zoom. I thought it would be something like Forge from the X-Men. Guess it can help with delicate work, though.

Edit: Wait, if her ability is Zoom why does she need her goggles?

Everyone's faces are just priceless here, mainly Bakugo.

He had to suffer with these moments the most after all, being with Deku all their school lives.

TFW you take an L so large you are legally obligated to change your name.

But...he won! That has to count for something...right?

To give an actual answer, I think people just confused the 'I' in Iida for 'l' (lowercase L).

And yeah, I really enjoyed how they expanded the fights here. Now that's how you're supposed to stretch out a single chapter.

Kickz

Bubble poison dude was the hero of this episode with his side comments, he should have been in the announcer booth as color commentator.

And Ochako is really best girl
tumblr_oq9f10XaVg1w2338bo1_540.gif

Blues1990

The manga's great with anatomy and giving people realistic figures, but the anime doesn't really bother with that.

Seems like a weird omission, given that this show otherwise does a swell job with getting Kōhei Horikoshi's design sensibilities down to a tee, and I thought it was neat that both the girls and boys (maybe with the exception of Izuku at the beginning) had reasonable proportions.

Jintor

This episode was really great and fairly well paced for something that is only a single chapter in the manga, a few specific thoughts I want to highlight:

• Animation for Mina basically ice skating around Ashido to sock him in the jaw. She's always been noted to have acid feet in the manga but seeing it in motion is something else.
  • Deku's muttering completely bouncing off Bakugou was fantastic. Also worth noting that he didn't bother flaring up at anybody even though the entire class was doing things that'd get on his nerves (i.e. talking) - I don't think Urara is the only one thinking about the upcoming match.
  • Kaminari getting wasted was perhaps a bit too slow for my tastes for something supposed to be one-move only, but it was still funny.
  • Increased focus on Momo was wonderful, as was the insight into Toko's personality in wanting to win without (physically) hurting her.
  • I like that the entire class is in on Deku's mutterings and, even though they think he's a bit of a weirdo for it, are willing to still get his thoughts on things. Tail Guy really is a dope guy.
  • Hatsune's quirk only being Zoom suddenly reinforced what a natural genius she must be. I hadn't really thought about it until now but she must at the very least be Batman or Spiderman tier genius to be a tech hero on that level at, like, 16 or 17.
  • Midnight going into S&M mode for a hot second but pulling herself back to professionalism was hilarious

Next episode looks dope. Very excited. From the preview looks like it covers two chapters.

Edit: Wait, if her ability is Zoom why does she need her goggles?

I don't remember if Mei has an equipment omake or not, but I would guess for seeing outside the visible spectrum

SoulUnison

Banned
I dislike the way the anime, or at least this episode, is portraying Momo's Quirk.

Isn't she supposed to need to "pull" the items she creates from her skin, being limited by surface area?
Here she just "poofs" items into existence like she's a stage magician.

They portrayed it accurately back at USJ, so I wonder why the change?

Jintor

flicking through the manga quickly it looks like she can actually expel them from her body if need be (she actually shoots an insulating sheet out of her back in USJ in both the anime and manga. I just checked the anime and she also flings a net out of her at a villain)

Maybe it just runs on rule of cool, or it's a question of how much she's practiced making something. I think the Omake does note she needs to be thinking about the molecular composition of the things she's making.

Or maybe Horishiki didn't have oversight over this ep and didn't veto it before it made it to production

SoulUnison

Banned
flicking through the manga quickly it looks like she can actually expel them from her body if need be (she actually shoots an insulating sheet out of her back in USJ in both the anime and manga. I just checked the anime and she also flings a net out of her at a villain)

Maybe it just runs on rule of cool, or it's a question of how much she's practiced making something. I think the Omake does note she needs to be thinking about the molecular composition of the things she's making.

Or maybe Horishiki didn't have oversight over this ep and didn't veto it before it made it to production

I guess my understanding of her Quirk was more like...

Ok, for example, in today's episode, look at how she summons that metal rod: it appears perpendicular to her arm and "grows" out of itself, materializing ready for her to grab it in a sword-style grip.
I was under the impression that she'd have to create it more like, say, extruding the pole length-wise from the palm of her hand, the matter that's being "created" always needing to be in contact with her skin, sort of like she's a 3D printer and her epidermis is the printing head.

...This is kind of hard to put into words, I guess.

cntr

Banned
Seems like a weird omission, given that this show otherwise does a swell job with getting Kōhei Horikoshi's design sensibilities down to a tee, and I thought it was neat that both the girls and boys (maybe with the exception of Izuku at the beginning) had reasonable proportions.
I doubt it's an accident. Manga Ochako just isn't thin enough for anime.

Jigolo

Weak episode but the season has been really good so far so that's cool. Next weeks episode should be interesting. I forgot what happened in the book lol

Jintor

is just like talking about it too dramatic or what

like dude you know talking down 'oh hey you care too much about this' 'you're just being dramatic' 'i don't see what the big deal is', like, that's pretty dispiriting right

edit sorry this is a bit of crossfire from the manga thread i think

...dude.

That shot is almost 1:1 except for her waist. If that doesn't tell you it's deliberate, what will?
I mean I am looking at the manga right now and except for that one pic she looks exactly like the anime. I really don't think they there goal was to make her thinner.

cntr

Banned
...yes, of course it has to do a lot with the shot and the artist drawing it.

but it doesn't really help your point if your counter is two images drawn from different angles, and ones where you can noticeably see that their waists were narrowed anyway.

Just from looking at them, they have the exact same body shape. The manga just has more detail on their bellies. Also they are like no god damn moments with similar angles.

Anyway like a said you just saw one pick and went all wazoo on it. it's a single pic and not something we see again.

What a dumb episode, got hyped seeing the shots from people today thinking it would be an epic episode for us Kaminari fans but all we get was like a 20 second match and nothing else, and kind of really dumb outcome, as if he cant really go through vines, horikoshi please stop. Monoma was a bit of some comfort for it, but still.

Jintor

itt dtl electrocutes vines

(they pretty explicitly said she used the vines to ground the discharge. personally if kaminari's voltage was higher he would have just set fire to them, but given he only really stuns, he must discharge at pretty low voltage)

cntr

Banned
Just from looking at them, they have the exact same body shape. The manga just has more detail on their bellies. Also they are like no god damn moments with similar angles.

Anyway like a said you just saw one pick and went all wazoo on it. it's a single pic and not something we see again.
That's mostly because you picked a shot where their waists were obscured by the pom-poms, but put your finger on the screen and trace the line on Ochako and Momo. No, seriously, do it.

Their waists are thinner, the angle is much sharper in the anime. You might try to excuse that as that's a minor thing nobody would notice, but in animation, that kind of sharp angle is exactly how you give the impression of a thin waist and an hourglass figure.

The manga doesn't exaggerate it anywhere near as much, not even on Momo. They all have realistic shapes.

Top Bottom