• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

That's mostly because you picked a shot where their waists were obscured by the pom-poms, but put your finger on the screen and trace the line on Ochako and Momo. No, seriously, do it.

Their waists are thinner, the angle is much sharper in the anime. You might try to excuse that as that's a minor thing nobody would notice, but in animation, that kind of sharp angle is exactly how you give the impression of a thin waist and an hourglass figure.

The manga doesn't exaggerate it anywhere near as much, not even on Momo. They all have realistic shapes.
Eh this is silly. This is really reaching at straws. The manga as more detailed bodies yes, thinner? I don't think so. Ochako looks exatcly the same almost all the time. But if it bothers you what can I say, try not to let it stop you from watching the show, it's been great.

Are you even watching the show now?

Jintor

I don't see how you can't say they totally fucked up the body types though

MCLjyOc.gif

completely wrong, what were they thinking, sharp knees etc

SoulUnison

Banned
Eh this is silly. This is really reaching at straws. The manga as more detailed bodies yes, thinner? I don't think so. Ochako looks exatcly the same almost all the time. But if it bothers you what can I say, try not to let it stop you from watching the show, it's been great.

Are you even watching the show now?

You're right, this... Isn't very fun to talk about.

>_>

cntr

Banned
...come on, dude. It's like you're trying to defend the anime at all costs.

Yes, it's an issue. It's one of my favorite things about the manga. You might think it's irrelevant and unimportant, but it's something the manga is widely (and deservedly) praised for.

There's no cutting around it, the anime just doesn't care about that. That doesn't make the anime terrible, but it's still a major disappointment.

Jintor

by the way, going back to check yaoyao's power was interesting because i think the direction has improved significantly from that first season. like, a lot.

...come on, dude. It's like you're trying to defend the anime at all costs.

Yes, it's an issue. It's one of my favorite things about the manga. You might think it's irrelevant and unimportant, but it's something the manga is widely praised for.

There's no cutting around it, the anime just doesn't care about that. That doesn't make the anime terrible, but it's still a major disappointment.

...come on dude. It's like you are trying to find something to fault the anime on at all costs. You don't even watch it. Major disappointment...come on lol. This whole thing about some fat kind of eh...anyway. Enough talk about girl curves. I don't want to kill the conversation here anymore.

SoulUnison

Banned
...come on dude. It's like you are trying to find something to fault the anime on at all costs. You don't even watch it. Major disappointment...come on lol. This whole thing about some fat kind of eh...anyway. Enough talk about girl curves. I don't want to kill the conversation here anymore.

It's weird, I wanted to talk about Quirks and just generally bullshit some plot hypotheticals in the manga thread, and he wouldn't stop calling it "nonsensical," "irrelevant," and "not fun to talk about," but apparently here the hill he wants to die on is how much baby fat the female characters are drawn with to an almost creepy degree. Like... What is even happening, here? It's seriously sometimes like cntr wants to talk about what cntr wants to talk about and any other dissenting opinions or unrelated conversations are unfathomable and irritating.

Man, it doesn't seem to be the audience consensus, but I love Peace Sign so much more than The Day.
I kind of feel like Peace Sign could have worked for either Season, but The Day was a little too "action-y guitars-n-rock" for what were mostly setup and exposition arcs.
I get that they probably wanted to "sell" the show a little harder with its first OP, though.

cntr

Banned
how much baby fat the female characters are drawn with to an almost creepy degree
Ignoring the attempt to incite drama, yes, I did feel uncomfortable typing all that out. Not my fault I had to explain it in detail.

But yes, believe it or not, I like it when a series goes out of its way to draw people like actual human beings rather than fanservice blobs, and dislike it when an adaptation goes the opposite direction. You can call that creepy, but whatever. You guys clearly don't think the same.

I'm out. I don't know why I even bothered posting here.

Dynasty

Episode was ok. It did what it neaded to do, get all the less relevent fights out of the way. I'm looking forward to the next episode, in my opinion the best fight of the tournament, hopefully they dont screw it up. Also that promo should be banned, basically spoils the whole fight.

Ignoring the attempt to incite drama, yes, I did feel uncomfortable typing all that out. Not my fault I had to explain it in detail.

But yes, believe it or not, I like it when a series goes out of its way to draw people like actual human beings rather than fanservice blobs, and dislike it when an adaptation goes the opposite direction. You can call that creepy, but whatever. You guys clearly don't think the same.

Why peace out? This ain't no sunshine and rainbows thread. There's this guy veelk in the one piece thread who stands for the same thing he brings it up every once in awhile because it bothers him. At first it was annoying but that's his opinion and we either engaged in conversation or he had one with himself. Not once did he ever let anybody run him out a thread cuz he had a bit of criticism.

Just my two cents

Jintor

Veelk used to write essays in the Korra threads. I respected that, dude (or gal) knew what they wanted to say and spent their time on it

Mendrox

lol get a grip. Most people didnt even notice that. Ocha still has her baby fat face and body in the anime.

caliph95

Well that was a fun discussion
Yes he is
Nathan and Jonathan are great as well
Man, it doesn't seem to be the audience consensus, but I love Peace Sign so much more than The Day.
I kind of feel like Peace Sign could have worked for either Season, but The Day was a little too "action-y guitars-n-rock" for what were mostly setup and exposition arcs.
I get that they probably wanted to "sell" the show a little harder with its first OP, though.
Peace Sign is starting to grow on me

Well that was a fun discussion

Yes he is
Nathan and Jonathan are great as well

Peace Sign is starting to grow on me
Nathan did something weird with the guitar during the main beat and it bugs the hell out of me and make it so I just can't appreciate it.

Still waiting for that Jonathan cover though! I can't believe he won't make one after THE DAY got to be one of his most popular cover.

I'm a bit confused at the weirdly aggressive response to that guy's thoughts regarding the way they draw Uraraka in the anime compared to the manga. Seems like a perfectly valid criticism to me. I can totally understand being disappointed with an adaptation for pointlessly changing the body type of a character to better suit what's considered conventionally attractive. It's a boring change at best, and a mildly concerning one at worst. Manga and anime have an off-putting habit of treating female characters... questionably, and having varied body types is a good way of steering representations in a slightly more inclusive direction.

I say this as a big fan of the anime and as someone who hasn't even read the manga. Personally I think Uraraka is usually drawn fine, but that particular cheerleading shot isn't great. It could just be a one-off thing; characters are drawn off-model all the time in animation. I'm willing to give the artist the benefit of the doubt on this one, unless I see more bad examples. I can totally understand interpreting it differently though.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I get the feeling this discussion is making people a little too uncomfortable and defensive. Chill out guys. Right or wrong, it's hardly a huge deal.

Nightbird

Just letting you know: I was also disappointed by this.

But maybe it's just a one-off thing that'll get better in the future

Just marathoned the shit out if this show after watching the first episode

I eat this quirky character battle anime stuff up

Remind me a lot of Hunter X Hunter complete with what is one of my favorite anime tropes

Effing tournaments pitting characters against each other.

Love it. I hope it doesnt suffer attrition and quality drop that HXH did

Thats the one problem with anime series is that they lose their tight pacing and well thought out story and creativity

So far this show doesnt waste my time.. has tight pace and writing and always entertains. Whoo! but now i need to find another show to pass the time

Just marathoned the shit out if this show after watching the first episode

I eat this quirky character battle anime stuff up

Remind me a lot of Hunter X Hunter complete with what is one of my favorite anime tropes

Effing tournaments pitting characters against each other.

Love it. I hope it doesnt suffer attrition and quality drop that HXH did

Thats the one problem with anime series is that they lose their tight pacing and well thought out story and creativity

So far this show doesnt waste my time.. has tight pace and writing and always entertains. Whoo! but now i need to find another show to pass the time
You should try Concrete Revolutio.

NSESN

Don't worry he'll come back eventually.

I don't know. I can agree that the start of the day has better visuals, but the visuals of Peace sign's main beat are much better. Ending with All Might jumping down from the sky is also cooler imo.

I just feel that The Day is pretty good at introducing the series as a fist OP. Peace Sign visuals lack impact imo.

I just feel that The Day is pretty good at introducing the series as a fist OP. Peace Sign visuals lack impact imo.
I definitely agree with this though. THE DAY leaves a really strong first impression. Peace Sign does have a slower build-up.
Yeah. Please don't fuck it up.

Everything about the next encounter elevates this show a lot.
With how they handle every other fight, I don't think you have needs to worry.

Raxus

I definitely agree with this though. THE DAY leaves a really strong first impression. Peace Sign does have a slower build-up.

With how they handle every other fight, I don't think you have needs to worry.

Peace Sign is a much better fit for the current arc than The Day (which would have been perfect for an upcoming arc).

As far as upcoming fights the previews put my mind at ease they will nail this one.

wildfire

Banned
What a dumb episode, got hyped seeing the shots from people today thinking it would be an epic episode for us Kaminari fans but all we get was like a 20 second match and nothing else, and kind of really dumb outcome, as if he cant really go through vines, horikoshi please stop. Monoma was a bit of some comfort for it, but still.

What happened was valid. They even made the point that she can separate the vines from herself because if she couldn't she would've gotten shocked.

SoulUnison

Banned
How on earth did dopes like Kaminari and Mineta get into the hero program over a quirk like those vines

Well, I mean, the entry tests are intended to gauge "potential," too.
Kaminari's easy enough to see the utility of, and Mineta could have some pretty amazing uses, say, stabilizing structures for search and rescue?
Bundling and controlling debris to prevent bystander injuries?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mineta has a GOAT hero (or villain) power. It's so ridiculously good at restraining bad guys.

Kaminari's power has utility and is considered one of many lottery winner quirks.

SoulUnison

Banned
I wonder if Kaminari could insulate himself, somehow.
How would you even train his "mental shutdown" limit besides triggering it over and over again? And even then you might just end up making it worse through some kind of, like, Quirk sprain, haha.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder if Kaminari could insulate himself, somehow.
How would you even train his "mental shutdown" limit besides triggering it over and over again? And even then you might just end up making it worse through some kind of, like, Quirk sprain, haha.

Using it over and over till he increases his tolerance basically is it.

Basically Killua without the being tortured part.

My Hero Academia - 21

Fun episode, but man did they blitz through so many fights. Vine girl was legit as I was complaining about the announcer last episode so it was nice to see a character do the same. I really don't get Aoyama's character or why he's in Class 1A in the first place, would rather have Vine girl, Tetsutetsu, or really any of the other 1B character to replace him. Hell I'd rather have Mei replace him, speaking of which Mei is best girl. And of course Tokoyami just winning the match right off the bat was enjoyable as well (still wonder why he has a bird head though).

Looking foward to Uraraka/Bakugou next episode and I hope its a long match too (atleast half the episode).

Started watching this over the weekend and got to episode 12, this show is ridiculously good and the music is hype. The whole school and hero theme reminds me of yugioh gx.

Top Bottom