• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

NSESN

I just realized they teased that Ochako was going to win with "My hero academia" but then stopped the song before the climax to show it wasn't going to work.

Maximo

These fights have been hype. Oddly enough deku vs todoroki is the outcome I was least excited for. Haven't really enjoyed deku as a fighter much yet. I'm sure that changes but I enjoy seeing everyone else do their thing

Deku takes awhile to get there but its worth the wait.

caliph95

giphy.gif

Jintor

i'm rewatching the fight without subs and man

ocha's voice actor is a beast

"まだまだ。。。!”

The fight seemed much more exciting in the manga, here it felt lifeless and too repetitive. Its also difficult to even want to cheer Ochako on since shes just in it for money. Bakugou, Todoroki, and others have so much more their fighter for thats not money which made me cheer even 200% more for Bakugou.

Also KamiBaku continuing to be signaled canon by the animators, notice how Bakugou always sits beside Kaminari. I love it.

Anime also makes Endeavor really good, though maybe its a lot to do with the eng voice for him. Still fire is amazing, and I like his faith in HIS Shouto.

Kinda disappointed the whole season seems to be this tournament. I was hoping the plot would pick up a bit more. Would be cool to see them go through the years of school a bit faster and then see them all become pro heroes or something a couple seasons from now but they're still on year one

Moaradin

Kinda disappointed the whole season seems to be this tournament. I was hoping the plot would pick up a bit more. Would be cool to see them go through the years of school a bit faster and then see them all become pro heroes or something a couple seasons from now but they're still on year one

It's called My Hero Academia lol

Halo still has games even though they don't revolve around halos anymore (although that may be a bad example lol)

I dunno deku could still be a part time teacher there or something after becoming a pro hero
If it's the story of how he became the worlds greatest hero they won't be in school forever so I wouldn't worry too much that's a ways off tho most likely

explosion kid might be the most obnoxious character in a shounen anime in a long time
like hes legitimately making it a chore to watch at times

Pretty sure we're getting a 25 episode season this time

I gotta say I feel bad for the people with deformed quirks like the concrete guy and raven dude. They probably get bullied and have a hard time finding a girlfriend unless they get lucky and find someone into weird shit

LotusHD

Banned
there was also zero tension because hes a rival, and shes a girl in a shounen
gee I wonder who will win this

fuck explosion kid

To be fair, his quirk is extremely versatile compared to basically everyone else in the tourney. Whereas hers... not so much. But at the same time, she just needed that one touch to disqualify him, so you already knew it wasn't gonna happen.

Regardless, you're not wrong for relying on tropes/cliches to determine who'd win this, but one of the reasons I liked this fight is that they let them fight to begin with. In these type of series, girls often manage to somehow end up fighting the few girl(s) on the other side, so I like seeing battles where the opposite gender fights. And while that in itself isn't (Or shouldn't be) really noteworthy, I appreciate that they subvert the whole shtick where the guy goes easy against the girl because of some misplaced code of chivalry. And it wasn't some pathetic fight either that does a disservice to her as a character, which I thought it would be considering how limited her powers are here.

She did good. The fight felt a bit more epic in the manga though, but then again, it's my 2nd time seeing it, so yea.

well tournie arc spoilers
deku's the protag so i guess no point watching the next match then

protagonists sometimes lose so they can come back stronger ie. goku, naruto, luffy etc
but since thats a spoiler tag im guessing he just wins

She did good.

Did exactly as expected. Dont really care that shes in that trope, but I was told MHA was a bit more subversive/unique so kind of want at least some kind of upset.

Jintor

i mean when you consider that ura doesn't have an offensive power at all it's kind of amazing she managed to make bakugo basically play defence for the entire match

protagonists sometimes lose so they can come back stronger ie. goku, naruto, luffy etc
but since thats a spoiler tag im guessing he just wins

why wouldn't it be the same for rivals tho

MHA does do cliches, but it's not rooted to them i think

Hypron

But actually... Would that one touch even work? Bakugo can use his quirk to fly so he'd just turn into a weightless missile.

Ezalc

Kaachan is a huge asshole, never met anybody that is that big of a cunt in my life. Hopefully things stay that way.

Fun to watch this, though Tokoyami is still my number 1.

Jintor

But actually... Would that one touch even work? Bakugo can use his quirk to fly so he'd just turn into a weightless missile.

uraka would have tried to shove him out of bounds after that and hope that baku didn't have any practice at maneuvering in zero-g

uraka would have tried to shove him out of bounds after that and hope that baku didn't have any practice at maneuvering in zero-g

hes already used it to fly around, im not sure what they were implying with the strategy at all.
sounds like it might even be beneficial.

Realistically what is deku supposed to do here? Dodge the entire time while trying to get a punch in? Or do the finger flick thing which he now has what 8 fingers left?

Jintor

baku's not used to weightlessness. he can propel himself but he probably has rarely or never done it while in zero-g, so ura was probably banking that he would blast himself out of bounds.

speaking of out of bounds it's pretty funny how the size of the square tends to vary based on drama lol. baku's massive explosion didn't punt ura out of bounds, but tori was able to toss momo out in like three strikes

btw, it just occured to me this tournament format must really suck if your opponent can fly

LotusHD

Banned
Realistically what is deku supposed to do here? Dodge the entire time while trying to get a punch in? Or do the finger flick thing which he now has what 8 fingers left?

He'll do stuff.

I shouldn't have said she'd beat him with just one touch, had to refresh my memory. But if she can disrupt his balance with her powers, it would have given more options at the very least. Hell, with how destructive his quirk is, maybe he'd be dumb enough to "missile" his way out of bounds lol

baku's not used to weightlessness. he can propel himself but he probably has rarely or never done it while in zero-g, so ura was probably banking that he would blast himself out of bounds.

Ah ya beat me to it lol

He'll do stuff.

I shouldn't have said she'd beat him with just one touch, had to refresh my memory. But if she can disrupt his balance with her powers, it would have given more options at the very least. Hell, with how destructive his quirk is, maybe he'd be dumb enough to "missile" his way out of bounds lol

Ah ya beat me to it lol
I'll have faith in you lotus

btw, it just occured to me this tournament format must really suck if your opponent can fly

No one can fly tho no? I mean Bakugo can propel himself, but he doesn't fly. Remember the cavalry battle when he went after Deku in the sky. If Sero did not catch him when he fell he was going to hit the ground.

Chase17

He found a work around for mind control.

Was able to beat Bakugo in S1 since he read him like a book. Might not be viable option in a straight fight opposed to an objective based goal. Also that fight left him crippled which he can't do here since it's not even the final round lol.

caliph95

He found a work around for mind control.

Was able to beat Bakugo in S1 since he read him like a book. Might not be viable option in a straight fight though opposed to an objective based goal. Also that fight left him crippled which he can't do here since it's not even the final round lol.
They have recovery girl for that to be fair tough he has to limit it

Did exactly as expected. Dont really care that shes in that trope, but I was told MHA was a bit more subversive/unique so kind of want at least some kind of upset.

Uraraka's nowhere NEAR most token Shonen girls. Even with this loss. Just having like... an actual motivation not centered around the protag puts her ahead of most of the pack, and losing to one of the two strongest people in the class isn't a serious knock. Especially considering how close she came to seriously fucking him up.

You'd also have to kind of undermine part of what makes Bakugou a unique rival to give her the win- he's a fairly despicable person, but he's very nearly as good as he thinks he is regardless. Usually, early characters with his level of dickery get taken out by the protag in like the very very very opening chapters as a showing of initial growth. I get not liking him (again, terrible human being), but he's a subversion in his own right as well.

No one can fly tho no? I mean Bakugo can propel himself, but he doesn't fly. Remember the cavalry battle when he went after Deku in the sky. If Sero did not catch him when he fell he was going to hit the ground.

He can totally fly, just... not very well :p

LotusHD

Banned
Uraraka's nowhere NEAR most token Shonen girls. Even with this loss. Just having like... an actual motivation not centered around the protag puts her ahead of most of the pack, and losing to one of the two strongest people in the class isn't a serious knock. Especially considering how close she came to seriously fucking him up.

You'd also have to kind of undermine part of what makes Bakugou a unique rival to give her the win- he's a fairly despicable person, but he's very nearly as good as he thinks he is regardless. Usually, early characters with his level of dickery get taken out by the protag in like the very very very opening chapters as a showing of initial growth. I get not liking him (again, terrible human being), but he's a subversion in his own right as well.

Yup, might not being saying much, but for me this episode/chapter made her permanently better than say, Sakura from Naruto.

Yup, might not being saying much, but for me this episode/chapter made her permanently better than say, Sakura from Naruto.
That's a low bar she was already better

Once deku loses(he's totally losing my boy not losing to this chump) all might plz train the boy some more give me 10% 50% something I'll take 2% of full control

Hypron

Yeah that's true. It's not like she had any other options anyway. But since the show puts quite a bit of emphasis on just how good Bakugo's instincts are I'm not sure even that would have been enough.

Jintor

yeah but it's within a quirk's ability to fly surely. although actually we haven't seen many if any fliers huh? I don't recall any off the top of my head.

Even all might is a traditional superman (leaps tall buildings in a single bound)

Kaachan is a huge asshole, never met anybody that is that big of a cunt in my life. Hopefully things stay that way.

What? He just gave Ochako one of the best fights and a chance. He wasnt even yelling and screaming or anything this episode.

Bakugou is simply misunderstood and well meaning and respectable. He puts friends first. Hes not a meanie.

Top Bottom