• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Who teased anything? Or gave the slightest hint of a tease. It's like mini mods in this thread

I was the one guessing who would win

I'm not calling anyone out just be more careful please.

And i'm not talking about your guessing game.

Unit24

I dunno, felt kinda realistic in that while people are doing a better job of seeing girls/women as being equal to men, or one's gender not mattering, when violence is a part of the equation, all bets are off. Some people just don't care for a girl getting overly roughed up. I found it believable.

But there have already been two matches where a girl has basically curb stomped a guy. The idea that anybody there would still think that any competitor should go easy on a girl is absurd.

LotusHD

Banned
But there have already been two matches where a girl has basically curb stomped a guy. The idea that anybody there would still think that any competitor should go easy on a girl is absurd.

Biases are a powerful thing.

EDIT: Hell, there's been tons of media where you'd have this clearly powerful female character that can take care of themselves, and yet the guy(s) often still feel this need to protect her.

caliph95

Tokoyomi was stated too be going easy on her not the same as bakugo and who is the other girl remind me because Mina and Ibara won their matches

Unit24

I mean, prejudices like that are irrational by nature, no?

Biases are a powerful thing.

EDIT: Hell, there's been tons of media where you'd have this clearly powerful female character that can take care of themselves, and yet the guy(s) often still feel this need to protect her.

I get what you guys are saying, but it's still a tired trope that I am bored to death of seeing. The concept of whether or not to underestimate or go easy on an opponent because they are female is so damn common that it feels like lazy writing, and it feels especially out of place in this universe, where it's never been an issue at all until literally just now for this fight. It would have made way more sense if people were concerned because of the ridiculous mismatch regarding their quirks, because making things float versus huge explosions isn't a great matchup, and the fact that there was less focus on that than the gender difference is bizarre.

This? Dear lord
I see if it was like the finals would be a Smash or it'll go out with a angry bang
or the finals will be a cold win or some stupid thing usually do to tease but that nah

Even if they didn't actually hint at anything, comments like that are just obnoxious and add absolutely nothing to the conversation. Congratulations, you read the manga and now you get to come in here and feel special. Nobody cares (except for the people telling you to stop).

I get what you guys are saying, but it's still a tired trope that I am bored to death of seeing. The concept of whether or not to underestimate or go easy on an opponent because they are female is so damn common that it feels like lazy writing, and it feels especially out of place in this universe, where it's never been an issue at all until literally just now for this fight. It would have made way more sense if people were concerned because of the ridiculous mismatch regarding their quirks, because making things float versus huge explosions isn't a great matchup, and the fact that there was less focus on that than the gender difference is bizarre.

Even if they didn't actually hint at anything, comments like that are just obnoxious and add absolutely nothing to the conversation. Congratulations, you read the manga and now you get to come in here and feel special. Nobody cares (except for the people telling you to stop).
But they kind of were scared for the match-up. They just knew how strong Bakugo is and that he is not thw type at all to hold back. Looking at his match with Deku. Of course they would feel him bad for Ochako to wind up against him.

LotusHD

Banned

Yea it's pretty common, hence why I liked that they immediately crap on the trope by using Bakugou and Aizawa to show that no, you shouldn't go easy on her just because she's a girl. (Something that Tokoyami arguably did himself in a previous fight) That being said, it is also a thing that's undeniably intertwined with the respective characters, because like you said, it's a poor matchup at the end of the day, with several characters finding it additionally problematic because she's a girl.

The way I saw it, was if Bakugou fought a girl that people were aware could clearly rival him or considered to be better than him, perhaps people would be less inclined to say something. But since the matchup is a poor one, they don't just simply see that, but also "Omg, Bakugo is being a unnecessary jerk to this poor girl". At the end of the day it's just this irrational bias that can pop up whenever, regardless of the girl's strength. I also don't think it being a universe where (most, but not all) people have powers would make such biases suddenly not exist. Especially since quirks haven't existed since Day 1 meaning it's a relatively recent phenomenon, and everyone has different powers with varying degrees of usefulness. If anything, more biases have been created.

Maybe it would have been better for them to not bring it up at all, but considering the demographic the manga's marketed to, they probably need this spelled out for them lol

Yea it's pretty common, hence why I liked that they immediately crap on the trope by using Bakugou and Aizawa to show that no, you shouldn't go easy on her just because she's a girl. (Something that Tokoyami arguably did himself in a previous fight) That being said, it is also a thing that's undeniably intertwined with the respective characters, because like you said, it's a poor matchup at the end of the day, with several characters finding it additionally problematic because she's a girl.

The way I saw it, was if Bakugou fought a girl that people were aware could clearly rival him or considered to be better than him, perhaps people would be less inclined to say something. But since the matchup is a poor one, they don't just simply see that, but also "Omg, Bakugo is being a unnecessary jerk to this poor girl". At the end of the day it's just this irrational bias that can pop up whenever, regardless of the girl's strength. I also don't think it being a universe where (most, but not all) people have powers would make such biases suddenly not exist. Especially since quirks haven't existed since Day 1 meaning it's a relatively recent phenomenon, and everyone has different powers with varying degrees of usefulness. If anything, more biases have been created.

Maybe it would have been better for them to not bring it up at all, but considering the demographic the manga's marketed to, they probably need this spelled out for them lol

yeah, but theyre still ultimately always going to play second fiddle to the boys because, well, its shonen jump.

Permanently A

Didn't really like Bakugou vs ochako, it wasn't made poorly or anything, just didn't resonate with me

looking forwards to the next one though

also bakugou is a shitty one note character

FluxWaveZ

I find it a little odd how so many characters were getting upset at Bakugou for going all out against a girl, considering that sort of thing has never been an issue up until now. It's been pretty well established that it doesn't matter if you're a boy or girl, all that matters is your determination, abilities, etc. And granted, it still felt like that was the message, what with Bakugou and Aizawa's remarks on the situation, but it still felt like an awkward writing contrivance.

Did the show actually mention they were upset because she was a girl? I saw it as them just being angry that the match-up was so lopsided and that she was getting blasted all over the place. Didn't think of it being related to gender until this comment.

LotusHD

Banned
Did the show actually mention they were upset because she was a girl? I saw it as them just being angry that the match-up was so lopsided and that she was getting blasted all over the place. Didn't think of it being related to gender until this comment.

Both the anime and manga referenced it.

caliph95

It's both because she was a girl and both because they think she is some delicate flower and Bakugo is a bully which he is but not in this moment

LotusHD

Banned
I see, I must have missed that part. That's pretty lame, then, but not surprising from this show.

I didn't think it was lame considering how it gets purposefully torn down by both Bakugo and Aizawa, but eh, already made posts on it in this page lol

yeah, but theyre still ultimately always going to play second fiddle to the boys because, well, its shonen jump.

Fairy Tail is probably the only popular shounen that does the most in comparison to its competiton to let their female characters shine. Too bad it gets irreparably undercut by all the terrible fanservice and such.
Also it sucks.

That being said, I don't blame your cynicism, but My Hero does do them service nonetheless, but yea, they can always do better.

I see, I must have missed that part. That's pretty lame, then, but not surprising from this show.
So do you really think that of you took one of the strongest boy and put him against a girl people would react differently in other stories? How is this a show problem? I think it's used really well here too. Since it gets shut down and by Bakugo of all people. I don't get all the outrage.

I used to hate Bakugo but I'm starting not to. He still puts on the mean face but there's clearly some growth behind it in his actions.

Also I thought it was dumb that they were flipping out that he was destroying her but at the same time is power is much more dangerous than some of the others we've seen. Especially visually. Felt like he could kill her if he wanted to.

LotusHD

Banned
I used to hate Bakugo but I'm starting not to. He still puts on the mean face but there's clearly some growth behind it in his actions.

Also I thought it was dumb that they were flipping out that he was destroying her but at the same time is power is much more dangerous than some of the others we've seen. Especially visually. Felt like he could kill her if he wanted to.

Lmao, he even kept saying she's not dead yet

caliph95

Remember when he could have killed Deku or get close to

Moaradin

This was the moment where I started to come around to Bakugo. Not that I think he's likeable or anything, but he became an interesting character that was more nuanced than I initially thought.

NSESN

Bakugou can probably kill anyone in the class lol, even some teachers. But again so can many others like Todoroki, Deku, Kaminari and Ashido. Like 13 said in the 1st season, many quirks can kill easily.

caliph95

Bakugou can probably kill anyone in the class lol, even some teachers. But again so can many others like Todoroki, Deku, Kaminari and Ashido. Like 13 said in the 1st season, many quirks can kill easily.
Baku was the only that comes close to killing one of his classmates

FluxWaveZ

So do you really think that of you took one of the strongest boy and put him against a girl people would react differently in other stories? How is this a show problem? I think it's used really well here too. Since it gets shut down and by Bakugo of all people. I don't get all the outrage.

Some other stories don't make it a gender thing at all. It getting spoken against by some characters does nothing for me here.

The tournament winner is Batman. Obviously.

Lol, I can't wait to see the next episode - it seems like the fight will be cool. I wonder how Deku will do anything without breaking himself...

FluxWaveZ

Which stories? Have a few examples? You seem to say that MHA is just awful about this.

Between this and "outrage," why are you so prone to hyperbole? I said it was "lame," and it was what I would expect of this show. There are many scenes dedicated to treating the female characters like eye candy, and there's a male character whose entire conceit is such. All of the big players are male so far, as well.

Attack on Titan is a currently running show which does not make a big deal out of "women are weak" and "no they're not!" conflicting viewpoints (one flippant comment was made about this in an earlier episode which was pretty much dismissed), and even if it did, the show is utterly lacking in fanservice, so it at least wouldn't seem hypocritical in its treatment of female characters.

Gintama is another example with powerful female characters where any "women are weak" deliberation would be utterly laughable.

Shouta

Ochaco vs Bakugo was a lot less about the gender angle and more so just plain showing a new element to both character's personalities that we haven't gotten to see just yet. Most of the concern from the cast for Ochaco is more so because of her personality, IMO and it was a great chance to show how tough and tenacious she was. It was also a chance to show that Bakugo, despite the bad attitude, actually respects people enough to face them head on and won't hold back just because of views like that.

Kaminari vs Ibara was straight-up the gender angle though and he got owned for it, heh.

LotusHD

Banned
pretty sure that was a translation thing, and wasn't meant to be literal.
would kind of be terrible world building if they let students even potentially kill each other.

Oh, well it's not like I thought he's serious, I swear I hear him talk about wanting to "kill" someone all the time.
Man, that shit would not fly in real life lmao

Between this and "outrage," why are you so prone to hyperbole? I said it was "lame," and it was what I would expect of this show. There are many scenes dedicated to treating the female characters like eye candy, and there's a male character whose entire conceit is such. All of the big players are male so far, as well.

Attack on Titan is a currently running show which does not make a big deal out of "women are weak" and "no they're not!" conflicting viewpoints (one flippant comment was made about this in an earlier episode which was pretty much dismissed), and even if it did, the show is utterly lacking in fanservice, so it at least wouldn't seem hypocritical in its treatment of female characters.

Gintama is another example with powerful female characters where any "women are weak" deliberation would be utterly laughable.
My outrage was more or less targetted at other comments including yours so I'm sorry on that. I just personnaly don't think the show itself shows it's women as weak hence why I don't get it. I think MHA does an excellent job at positioning its female characters as strong. But I guess we all have our point of view. You don't consider Ochako to be a big player? Because I think she is. Unless by big player you mean Deku and Todoroki level for this arc.

AoT can be a good exemple yea.

Jintor

I admit the cast is weighted more male than female in terms of primary characters but I certainly don't feel like mha is some eyerolling genderedfest

Like are you just annoyed the issue was even raised even though the show was like "btw treating her special because she is a girl/supposedly weaker is super disrespectful"

Jintor

gud art

DBETnxUUQAAZPLz.png:large

Meffer

also apparently that background character we were arguing fanservice about a few days back is a returning character from that zoo manga hoshikichi did, omagadoki zoo

compare
Several characters returned from his Zoo manga, like the hero Gang Orca.

This was the moment where I started to come around to Bakugo. Not that I think he's likeable or anything, but he became an interesting character that was more nuanced than I initially thought.

"Bakugo didn't kill people so he's nuanced."

Its made clear time and time again that murder is punished in this society. Bakugo wants to be a hero and be NUMBER 1. Him not murdering someone isn't praiseworthy or in contrast with his character.

Yeah. Bakugo's so fuckin smart for not outright murdering another student in front of a bazillion witnesses and going "oops lol" and then spending life in prison.

Top Bottom