• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Yes.

And I honestly think the whole "I gotta be number 1 to help people" is kind of like... lip service?

It's so fucking asinine that Deku constantly talks about how "everyone's striving to be Number 1." It cannot be true. There's literally zero fucking chance frog girl or tape dude will ever compete with Todoroki/Bakugo/Deku and other overwhelmingly better Quirks. But the narrative constantly ignores the differences in Quirk potential/base power, and instead pushes a "it all comes down to working hard!" agenda.

It's basically My Boostrap Academia.

Deku's ability is One for All.

lol I don't know what show you are watching. Deku has always maintained that he has gotten where he is because of the help of others. Didn't we just have a flashback two episodes back where he said the same thing?

Deku's belief is that no one is half assing trying to become a hero so not being completely serious is doing a disservice to their fellow classmates.

Oh whoops. Messed up the Quirk name.

No one is half assing trying to become a hero. But Deku claims that everyone is trying to specifically aim for NUMBER 1.

And you're being uncharitable that you couldn't even tell my comment about Deku in 100 episodes was a joke. Look at how many supposed "self made men" there claim to be in real life despite there truly being no such thing.

LotusHD

Banned
Yes.

And I honestly think the whole "I gotta be number 1 to help people" is kind of like... lip service?

It's so fucking asinine that Deku constantly talks about how "everyone's striving to be Number 1." It cannot be true. There's literally zero fucking chance frog girl or tape dude will ever compete with Todoroki/Bakugo/Deku and other overwhelmingly better Quirks. But the narrative constantly ignores the differences in Quirk potential/base power, and instead pushes a "it all comes down to working hard!" agenda.

Not to mention the Vigilante spinoff lol

theWB27

Yes.

Because they're still in training and being pushed to be the best they can?

Chase17

Well, we do know from the end of episode 2 that he becomes the greatest hero in the world.

But he's got to work for it!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The show has pretty much established that everyone who's attending this academy are, in fact, trying to aim for number 1. They're trying to be the best they potentially be, the whole point of the university is to raise the elite. They all have different reasons, but all of them are giving their all to be the best and achieve what they can.

Dahbomb

What? Did you suddenly forget the massive assault Bakugou unleashed against Ochako sending rocks even to the stadiums roof and not getting tired at all??? Or forget how mobile Bakugou is??? Im not seeing how Bakugou can even be considered a gram of an underdog here.
I didn't forget shit. Just like I didn't forget that Todoroki flash froze a dude in an instant and jobbed the hell out of Midorima aka One for All boy by using more than 50% of his power level.

Todoroki vs Bakugan would've been an evenish mash if Todoroki was operating at 50% power level using just ice powers. I think Bakugan would win that but it would be close. 100% power level Todoroki needs Bakugan pulling some shit out of his ass to win that convincingly.

You don't get into U.A. because you want to be a limp dick fuck.

Tell that to that Class B copy power dude.

The show has pretty much established that everyone who's attending this academy are, in fact, trying to aim for number 1. They're trying to be the best they potentially be, the whole point of the university is to raise the elite.

Then the academy fosters delusion.

Or do you seriously think "elbow tape" dude is ever going to be in the same league of power as Deku/Bakugo/Todoroki?

There's a huge difference between "trying to be the best you can be" and "trying to be the best".

Frog girl and elbow bandaid dude should absolutely try hard. But they will never be as strong as Todoroki. Ever. To aim to compete against him is flat out delusional.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't forget shit. Just like I didn't forget that Todoroki flash froze a dude in an instant and jobbed the hell out of Midorima aka One for All boy by using more than 50% of his power level.

Todoroki vs Bakugan would've been an evenish mash if Todoroki was operating at 50% power level using just ice powers. I think Bakugan would win that but it would be close. 100% power level Todoroki needs Bakugan pulling some shit out of his ass to win that convincingly.

4Dzg4JO.jpg

I got to fight them. I got to fight them. BA-KU-GON.

Oh what an amazing epidose, had to replay the final scene over and over. The glorious OST, the way they animated the last attack omfg. SO GOOD. Absolutely loved todoroki's release expression: a weird mix of madness, happiness and sadness all at once.

IMO way better than HxH 131.

You don't get into U.A. because you want to be a limp dick fuck.

Some people are simply less talented than others. Deku would not have made it into UA (or at least not the hero course) if he had not been gifted One for All.

Did receiving superpowers transform him from "limp dick fuck" to an actual person of worth in your eyes?

Veelk

Banned
Yes.

At the risk of not being trying to avoid manga spoilers, I am going to mark the next segment as spoilers, but it's not really necessarily anything to worry about. It's more of a clarification of the themes than anything.

Being a 'Number 1' isn't necessarily equivalent to being the strongest in the world of MHA. A lot of the tests that the kids go through all revolve around not being able to hit the hardest or even the concept of defeating an opponent, but about how you can save others.

Remember how in the entrance exam, Bakugo won the highest score for combat, but absolutely zero rescue points? Over time, the rescue points are the more significant factor.

Yes.

This is actually something that gets addressed later in manga and actually becomes a plot point.

Cwarrior

I have to admit My hero academy source material is shit but that nakamura animation cut at the end was lit, it made it far more visually interesting.

The arc story is still whack though, just another uninspired generic school festival arc that wish it was the chunnin exam from naruto.

Trojita

Some people are simply less talented than others. Deku would not have made it into UA (or at least not the hero course) if he had not been gifted One for All.

Did receiving superpowers transform him from "limp dick fuck" to an actual person of worth in your eyes?

Midoriya still planned on giving it his all, quirk or no quirk.

theWB27

He displayed hero qualities before he got his quirk. It's the whole reason All Might picked him.

Midoriya still planned on giving it his all, quirk or no quirk.

Meanwhile Class B copy power dude outright stated he didn't give it all round 1 so he could win the Cavalry Battle.

Looks like "limp dicked fucks" do get into UA. Perhaps maybe the world isn't perfectly just. and not everyone can bootstrap themselves into a prestigious position. And to expect everyone to is absurd.

He displayed hero qualities before he got his quirk. It's the whole reason All Might picked him.

Yes, I'm aware.

My point is that "trying hard" isn't enough. Deku seems to believe any one of the students in his class can be Number 1 if they BOOTSTRAP(tm) enough. That's bullshit. It's Ayn Randian level fantasy.

Jigolo

This isn't better than Zero X And X Rose. That's one of the greatest TV episodes ever. This episode was great though

If it weren't for All For One's origin I'd feel like MHA is Objectivist propaganda.

I feel in 100 episodes Deku will master All For One and talk about how much of a self made man he is, and how people just need to work harder to be Number 1.

It's kind of asinine that Deku suggests everyone is striving to be Number 1. I sincerely doubt that. Like there's literally no way someone like "tape elbow" dude or "frog girl" could seriously think they can compete with Deku/Todoroki/Bakugo. If they truly are striving to become Number 1 they are striving in vain. The nature of quirks makes society so inherently unequal that its laughable how often the narrative seems to suggest "JUST WORK HARD" is enough to become a contender for Number 1.

WOOSH

It's not about getting to number 1, you don't really see Deku win the fight, do you?

It's about making sure you're putting 100% effort in, so that you don't have any regrets.

Trojita

Meanwhile Class B copy power dude outright stated he didn't give it all round 1 so he could win the Cavalry Battle.

Looks like "limp dicked fucks" do get into UA. Perhaps maybe the world isn't perfectly just. and not everyone can bootstrap themselves into a prestigious position. And to expect everyone to is absurd.

Yes, I'm aware.

You do realize that Monoma's viewpoint was to do well in tournament right? He felt that going all out (wasting energy at an unneeded time) and showing everyone else their quirk would be detrimental to getting farther in the tournament. That was Monoma's way of striving for number 1.

Do you think bicyclist don't strive to be number one if they aren't pedaling at top speed at the beginning of a cross country race?

Kyuur

That episode was great. I don't think they'll surpass that final sequence in this tournament (maybe ever)?

Also when I was reading the thread earlier someone got me all excited for some yutapon cubes but it was literally only for like half a second at the end of the match :lol: Still worth the wait.

WOOSH

It's not about getting to number 1, you don't really see Deku win the fight, do you?

It's about making sure you're putting 100% effort in, so that you don't have any regrets.

There are better ways to frame it that don't make you look like Ayn Rand works in the writing staff.

You do realize that Monoma's viewpoint was to do well in tournament right? He felt that going all out (wasting energy at an unneeded time) and showing everyone else their quirk would be detrimental to getting farther in the tournament. That was Monoma's way of striving for number 1.

Except All Might shits on that strategy. It is made clear that the narrative treats Monoma as doing things the wrong way.

Jintor

Nothing about this season has been mediocre. I could understand it if you said that about the first season, though I'd still disagree. Even with the problems it was still an above average shonen adaption.

i could argue half the first episode was kinda lame cos it was picking up threads again, but i largely agree.

I still think S1 was above-average at best though tbh.

theWB27

Yes, I'm aware.

My point is that "trying hard" isn't enough. Deku seems to believe any one of the students in his class can be Number 1 if they BOOTSTRAP(tm) enough. That's bullshit. It's Ayn Randian level fantasy.

You wonder why a formely quirkless one would think hard work, not to mention with All Might being his hero...giving it your all...all for one...giving your all for one...would think so.

You're trying really hard.

Trojita

There are better ways to frame it that don't make you look like Ayn Rand works in the writing staff.

Except All Might shits on that strategy. It is made clear that the narrative treats Monoma as doing things the wrong way.
I'd say you are missing the themes of the book/show by a wide mile if you think that this has any similarities to Ayn Rand.

All Might isn't into thinking things strategically or long term lol.

ShadyK54

I have to admit My hero academy source material is shit but that nakamura animation cut at the end was lit better it made it far more visually interesting.

The arc story is still whack though, just another uninspired generic school festival arc that wish it was the chunnin exam from naruto.

Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

Jintor

lmao if you think the story of this arc is 'they have a sports tournament'

that's just the events brah. this entire arc is just characterwork

You wonder why a formely quirkless one would think hard work, not to mention with All Might being his hero...giving it your all...all for one...giving your all for one...would think so.

You're trying really hard.

Except it isn't just Deku. It's the entire narrative.

I can understand John Galt too. That doesn't make his story not Objectivist.

I'd say you are missing the themes of the book/show by a wide mile if you think that this has any similarities to Ayn Rand.

All Might isn't into thinking things strategically or long term lol.

And you act like its impossible for a manga/anime to push a political ideology.

LotusHD

Banned
I have to admit My hero academy source material is shit but that nakamura animation cut at the end was lit better it made it far more visually interesting.

First off, every tournament arc wishes it was the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. Secondly, that's a very reductive take considering it's actually all about the characters, and not so much the flashy fights.

theWB27

Except it isn't just Deku. It's the entire narrative.

I can understand John Galt too. That doesn't make his story not Objectivist.

And you act like its impossible for a manga/anime to push a political ideology.

Ok. I'm so happy I don't make this stuff not fun for myself. Stay hung up on a bunch of kids being pushed to be the best they can be. Ish is damned good.

Oh idk, I think they make it pretty fucking clear that the issue is that you have to try your hardest.

Did you forget about this dude?

He tried his damn hardest, he failed, he got knocked out in the first round, and he was received with thunderous applause by the audience

In fact, wasn't his whole point that the world was unfair because they weren't all on equal footing, and the show, if it was as much propaganda as you want to force it to be, wouldn't it instead say that his real issue was that he was too reliant on his power and that he should've trained harder in combat? I didn't exactly see that, shinsou pretty obviously was received with thunderous applause and clearly made a point to the world.

Or what about Eraser Head acknowledging how stupid the entrance exam is? Does that also fit in your weird view of the show?

You're trying to force your pre-conceived notions onto the show, and tbh, you're reaching HARD.

And the show shits on Monoma not for his strategy, but the fact that, even in later rounds, he was still satisfied with not being first. When his team was solidly in 2nd place, he didn't want to try and go for the 10 million. If you can say that over the course of the tournament he wanted to go for first, then the issue wasn't with him sandbagging the first round, it's with him doing it in the 2nd round, and the implication is, for further rounds as well.

On a societal level, of course it's dumb to say that everyone should do their best and thus get to number 1, but on an individual level, saying that someone should try and put in 100% of their effort, even if it can't possibly get them that far, but with the self-expectation that they have to get that far while appreciating every inch of progress they make, isn't really that controversial.

NSESN

While the fight is great it still isn't the best in my book. However, like All Might vs Noumu, it was much better in the anime.
The arc as a whole is much improved. I know a lot of manga reader liked it, but I felt something was missing. The anime however did a good job filling whatever was missing for me.

tenor.gif

While the fight is great it still isn't the best in my book. However, like All Might vs Noumu, it was much better in the anime.
The arc as a whole is much improved. I know a lot of manga reader liked it, but I felt something was missing. The anime however did a good job filling whatever was missing for me.
I personally didn't like until deku broke the same finger twice than it got more interesting to me

Ok. I'm so happy I don't make this stuff not fun for myself. Stay hung up on a bunch of kids being pushed to be the best they can be. Ish is damned good.

Idk why you think I don't like the show. I never once said that.

It is a fun show. Though I roll my eyes whenever Deku monologues or when shit like Ohacho crawling towards Bakugo in futility happens.

mileS

I can easily see myself buying most of the manga after this season is over. I love this series. From the little bit I've seen already the art is ridiculously awesome.

theWB27

It is a fun show. Though I roll my eyes whenever Deku monologues or when shit like Ohacho crawling towards Bakugo in futility happens.

Didn't say you didn't like it. It's obvious you do or you wouldn't be able to do what it is that you're doing now. I don't think I could enjoy a show that would make me criticize it the way you're doing. You do you though.

Idk about his monologues they're ok pretty standard anime, but I roll my eyes at the pain now honestly I'm mad over it.

Didn't say you didn't like it. It's obvious you do or you wouldn't be able to do what it is that you're doing now. I don't think I could enjoy a show that would make me criticize it the way you're doing. You do you though.

I mean I know the show isn't actually Objectivist propaganda. It has too much against that (including the nature of One for All). But there is a BOOTSTRAPS undercurrent that I hope the show at least somewhat addresses.

What happens to people without talent in this universe?

Idk about his monologues they're ok pretty standard anime, but I roll my eyes at the pain now honestly I'm mad over it.

I largely dislike Shounen because of those sorts of monologues. This show is tolerable and the powers are cool.

Jintor

eh the anime really sells it even moreso than the manga (which if not selling it was doing a pretty good pitch)

I mean I know the show isn't actually Objectivist propaganda. It has too much against that (including the nature of One for All). But there is a BOOTSTRAPS undercurrent that I hope the show at least somewhat addresses.

What happens to people without talent in this universe?

not everyone is fiending to be a hero, so probs the same thing as everywhere else: they go find something to do

Top Bottom