• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

I don't even know how you expect most people to misinterpret the message so wildly.

Like, I've heard the whole "I appreciate a student who tries hard and gets a C more than one that doesn't and gets a B" message from enough different teachers enough times to immediately recognize what the show was talking about, and I'm not Einstein. Telling yourself you're going for the top is a powerful self-motivation tool.

Ideally, if you want to be happy, your plan for getting toward any goal in life is:

1) Aim for the top, and never be satisfied with where you are

2) Establish minor, quantifiable goals along the way that can be acted upon

3) Always be aware of the progress you've made up to that point, and be satisfied with it (if you think this contradiction is too much for a human brain to handle, you're confused)

4) If, at some point, you just have to stop, then your conclusion should be that you're satisfied and happy because you gave it your all.

The point is, on an individual level, you want to motivate yourself and make sure no part of you is satisfied and not working toward your goal.

'Bootstraps' ideology is stupid on a governmental and societal level where you're appraising a large group of individuals and some outside force is trying to decide what is possible and should be expected from an individual, but on an individual level, it has merit in terms of being a form of self-motivation.

tbMJqo8g.png
Or this.

theWB27

I mean I know the show isn't actually Objectivist propaganda. It has too much against that (including the nature of One for All). But there is a BOOTSTRAPS undercurrent that I hope the show at least somewhat addresses.

What happens to people without talent in this universe?

I largely dislike Shounen because of those sorts of monologues. This show is tolerable and the powers are cool.

The hell is happening here. I'm done with this one Corn. That question is fascinating.

TWILT

Banned
Finished watching the episode and hot damn. I loved the fight from reading the manga too, but the anime really brought out the best of it. Todoroki was always my favorite character in the manga, and I'm really glad he gets to shine this season. ;_;

Jintor

actually i just started reading the spinoff Illegals and if you wanna see what lamers with lame-o powers do consider that

it's not as good as OG BNH, but it's not too shabby so far

Cwarrior

lmao if you think the story of this arc is 'they have a sports tournament'

that's just the events brah. this entire arc is just characterwork

My hero academy is shonen at it's most basic form with no seasoning, spices or twist, it just doesn't cut it.

Making the fights a backdrop to the character work is a long standing tradition, the characters work was not excuted or written in remarkable or interesting way. Naruto the shounen series mha is heavily inspired from executed it's chunnin exam arc in semilar fashion but in a more inspired way with much stronger execution, it had a lot of character work going on with it's cast such rock lee,naruto, neji and hinta but still managed to have better fights unlike mha.

Many shounen have showed in the past you can have strong character work without having piss poor fight like my hero academy has displayed.

It's fights are the least of my hero academy problem it's lack of inspiration, imaginations and ambition is why the mangka has yet to write memorable arc for this shounen property.

Kickz

My hero academy is shonen at it's most basic form with no seasoning, spices or twist, it just doesn't cut it.

Making the fights a backdrop to the character work is a long standing tradition, the characters work was not excuted or written in remarkable or interesting way. Naruto the shounen series mha is heavily inspired from executed it's chunnin exam arc in semilar fashion but in a more inspired way with much stronger execution, it had a lot of character work going on with it's cast such rock lee,naruto, neji and hinta but still managed to have better fights unlike mha.

Many shounen have showed in the past you can have strong character work without having piss poor fight like my hero academy has displayed.

It's fights are the least of my hero academy problem it's lack of inspiration, imaginations and ambition is why the mangka has yet to write memorable arc for this shounen property.

Well damn, thats not inspiring. I agree the tournament fights have been afterthoughts, but I was hoping this amazing fight today would cause things to trend upward..

LotusHD

Banned
Reminds me of the one piece manga thread during the dressrosa days whooo boy some of you guys were. Ruthless and I loved that arc(tho I'd argue criticism was handled Lot better ����*♂️)

Guess I'm glad I joined after that then lol

Well damn, thats not inspiring. I agree the tournament fights have been afterthoughts, but I was hoping this amazing fight today would cause things to trend upward..

I don't think he's saying this as a manga reader, just that he doesn't like what he's seen so far, or thinks it's very derivative.

NSESN

Guess I'm glad I joined after that then lol

I don't think he's saying this as a manga reader, just that he doesn't like what he's seen so far, or thinks it's very derivative.

If he was a manga reader he would never say it doesn't have a memorable arc.

Kickz

Ah I see, lol. Anyways I can't wait for the next arc when we get to see all these power ups used against actual villains like the previous arc

tumblr_oqyx1lP0m91vb2040o1_500.gif

I love that i can always find you in anything MHA related talking shit about it.
This show is inoffensive at worst and really amazing at best so i don't know why you react so strongly to it.

The author has proved it can handle emotion, can make interesting characters evolve and make you care for them, and has given us lots of legendary shonen moments that have nothing to be ashamed about compared to naruto, specially considering how that show forgot 90% of it's cast most of the time, and female representation and relevancy was null.

Puruzi

Banned

Cwarrior just doesn't like MHA

You have nothing to worry about regarding fights moving forward.

I love that i can always find you in anything MHA related talking shit about it.
This show is inoffensive at worst and really amazing at best so i don't know why you react so strongly to it.

The author has proved it can handle emotion, can make interesting characters evolve and make you care for them, and has given us lots of legendary shonen moments that have nothing to be ashamed about compared to naruto, specially considering how that show forgot 90% of it's cast most of the time, and female representation and relevancy was null.
Welp I hope we don't start doing this now plz
Pretty much go after anybody that says something negative which is whatever but if we gotta start trying to downplay other shows to prop this one up I can't jive with that

spiritfox

My buddy told me its done by action animation guru Yutaka Nakamura, he did some good fights in Mob Psycho 100 to;

tumblr_ombi88HvwU1se015qo1_540.gif

tumblr_ocss7tW2OR1se015qo1_540.gif

Yeah, you can see his signature Yutapon cubes and use of impact frames in that sequence. He also did an earlier scene, the one where Todoroki froze the giant bot in the obstacle course.

Puruzi

Banned
Nakamura didn't do those scenes in Mob, he did however do the bit where Mob dragged him into the sky and then brought him down into the building

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I find it funny that the last two pages of this thread only happened after the best episode of the season lol.

Kickz

Mob is the superior ONE series.
It really is, problem is it takes until episode 5 to get going. I remember I dropped it at ep 4 before going back this winter at the urging of some buddies.
And I was blown away.

Nakamura didn't do those scenes in Mob, he did however do the bit where Mob dragged him into the sky and then brought him down into the building

I know he did some cuts of that fight, but yea those may not be the right ones

LotusHD

Banned
I didn't like the first episode of Mob and decided to watch One Punch Man instead, it gets that better?

Hell yes it does. Mob is my current example of a show that fits that whole 3-episode rule. By the end of the 3rd episode you'll know whether you'll like it or not.

I didn't like the first episode of Mob and decided to watch One Punch Man instead, it gets that better?

I think One Punch Man has the better first episode, but I think Mob is the better overall series. Episode 3 of Mob was when the show really pulled me in, but Kickz mentioned not really getting into it until Episode 5.

Kyuur

I agree that MHA is a b-tier shonen (not a bad thing!) compared to the greats but lets slow down here for a second.

Making the fights a backdrop to the character work is a long standing tradition, the characters work was not excuted or written in remarkable or interesting way. Naruto the shounen series mha is heavily inspired from

Please explain how MHA is heavily inspired by Naruto more than its inspired by any other shonen series. Tournament arcs have been around forever and Dragon Ball would probably be the one to thank for that. The multi-stage test thing was done in Hunter X Hunter and maybe by other series before. Both have been done countless times in countless series, Naruto hardly invented them.

executed it's chunnin exam arc in semilar fashion but in a more inspired way with much stronger execution, it had a lot of character work going on with it's cast such rock lee,naruto, neji and hinta but still managed to have better fights unlike mha.

At the point we're at in MHA we hadn't even finished Land of Waves. Rock Lee, Neji and Hinata had yet to be introduced, let alone fleshed out. I would argue that MHA has had several fights that outclass what Naruto had at the same point as well.

Most shonen have a few great, memorable fights and whole lot of lackluster ones. Naruto's chuunin exam had what, 3 defining fights over 10 odd volumes and 80 episodes (Sasuke vs Orochimaru, Rock Lee vs Gaara and 3rd vs Orochimaru)?

I don't even know what to say the inspiration thing though -- consider that maybe you won't be ever be as surprised as you were when reading/watching your first few series.

Top Bottom