• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

LotusHD

Banned
You know who did try to kill their kid? His wife. And he had her committed to protect his kids.

He's probably a shitty husband. But I don't see anything that would make me say he's a shitty dad. I don't see him as distant. He wants to be actively involved in his favorite kid's life. His flaws to me are being overbearing with his parenting and obsessive about his work.

Lol what

caliph95

We aren't really discussing if Endeavor is a good dad right? Becuase I don't think it is necessary.
I feel like at least in the anime thread when ever elder todoroki shows we keep having this conversation even after we know he was abusive and forced and bought his wife to have kids

What is going on right now? Endeveror is without a doubt a shitty father, hell he is a horrible human being in general. He literally drove his wife into insanity by constantly abusing her.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the point of Endeavor is not all people who are clamored as heroes are good people. He may be good at saving people and he does his job well and that's to be respected, but he is a shitty person. He's the #2 hero and is good at being the hero role from a purely capable standpoint and he does fill the credentials of what their society considers a hero and does do good for the world in pursuing that, but lacks any sort of heroic tendencies outside of his work and is a really shitty person all around.

Which also gives some credit to the Hero Killer's anti-hero angle, since his character is of course a villain but he's doing it for a reason that's not completely wrong, but doesn't justify him or make his views correct either. He thinks there's heroes and villains who soil the reputation of both, and Endeavor is the very sort of person that the Hero Killer hates. People who aren't actually heroes deep down who are parading around as them, people using their powers for selfish reasons and to move themselves forward in society for self-gain, ego, reputation, glamour, personal vendettas, etc. Basically heroes who aren't really heroes, and villains who do evil things purely for their own selfish desires. He puts great importance on people taking on these roles who are working for something bigger than themselves.

I think Endeavor is an important character to have for some of the dilemmas of the show, he obviously has some pocket of love (or maybe more accurately respect) for his son above zero, but that hardly makes him a good father. He's a real shit dad.

ShadyK54

B3_CpCECQAAA2tq.jpg

"Endeavor is a shitty person, but not a shitty dad."
"He's redeemable."

Cj91L6aUoAAtH7H.jpg

Qvoth

we haven't seen enough of endeavour to truly judge his character imo
what we do know is that he's a pretty shit father and husband
i'd definitely say he's redeemable, in fact i'm quite sure in the future todoroki will come to respect his father, this is quite a common trope

convo

we haven't seen enough of endeavour to truly judge his character imo
what we do know is that he's a pretty shit father and husband
i'd definitely say he's redeemable, in fact i'm quite sure in the future todoroki will come to respect his father, this is quite a common trope

He sort of respects his fathers' competence as a top hero. Endeavor still fathered multiple other children he ignores because they won't help him get one over All Might. He could realise his mistakes but who knows if he's ever gonna give an apology for anything.

Either Endeavour gets the biggest whack of karmic retribution possible, which itself would be supremely satisfying, or he *somehow* manages to redeem himself, which would also be satisfying.

He's hopefully set up for a big payoff one way or the other later. A really great heel character.

MrCinos

Either Endeavour gets the biggest whack of karmic retribution possible, which itself would be supremely satisfying, or he *somehow* manages to redeem himself, which would also be satisfying.
Both. At the same time, please. I'm not sure if he'd ever get enough panel time and/or be central part of some arc where the redeeming part would look natural and not fast-forwarded too much though. But I'd love to see it as he's one of the most interesting characters in the series.

I think most of his problematic behaviour comes from the old traditional (in a worst sense) family he grew up in and (most likely) the lack of mentor who'd steer him up the right path. I imagine if Bakugou had shitty parents and zero mentoring he'd have been almost as bad as an adult.

PaulBizkit

Look, i'm not saying i'm into Todoroki x Deku, but this part made me consider jumping on board, because jesus christ

(also the rest of the video is pretty solid)

It's like the anime amped up the "affection" aspect of the relationships between the characters (or at least made them more expressive than in the manga).

#brodoroki

Jintor

It's like the anime amped up the "affection" aspect of the relationships between the characters (or at least made them more expressive than in the manga).

#brodoroki

i have to say I preferred Deku saying "it's your power" rather than expressly mentioning the quirk

deku's va is defs good though. I feel like baku and todoroki's are a bit too adult-sounding

(i really wish they had just gotten zuko's VA for todoroki lol.)

PaulBizkit

i have to say I preferred Deku saying "it's your power" rather than expressly mentioning the quirk

deku's va is defs good though. I feel like baku and todoroki's are a bit too adult-sounding

Tsuyu's va is pretty cool too. A bit granny-sounding, but definitely fitting.

You know who did try to kill their kid? His wife. And he had her committed to protect his kids.

He's probably a shitty husband. But I don't see anything that would make me say he's a shitty dad. I don't see him as distant. He wants to be actively involved in his favorite kid's life. His flaws to me are being overbearing with his parenting and obsessive about his work.

He's only with his wife because he chose her for her power. It took him 4 kids to get the right mix he wanted and now he's trying to dominate Todoroki's life, so he can live vicariously through him. He had his wife committed to protect one of his kids. The rest are failures that he doesn't even want todoroki to be around since, "They're nothing like him." Pretty sure he's a shitty father and husband.

NEO0MJ

He's only with his wife because he chose her for her power. It took him 4 kids to get the right mix he wanted and now he's trying to dominate Todoroki's life, so he can live vicariously through him. He had his wife committed to protect one of his kids. The rest are failures that he doesn't even want todoroki to be around since, "They're nothing like him." Pretty sure he's a shitty father and husband.

The best thing he ever did for his other children was probably ignoring them, lol.

Neoxon

As do I, but Zuko's VA is unionized & not in the Dallas area.

PK Gaming

Dante Basco definitely would have been a miscast for Todoroki.

His voice is too low pitched, and it works better with underdog type characters over elites.

NSESN

Watching Gigguk video made me realize something that improved in the last episodes. Almost no dimming. Maybe because it was night, but that was annoying in the tournament but I can't remember any since the break.

caliph95

I mean, to illustrate how bad Endeavor is, Todoroki's scar was given to him by the parent that actually loved him... because Endeavor was so bad.
Yeah but the mom was totally a butch right never mind he basically bought her and thinks of his family as property

I think the anime made the point more obvious with him shown to beat her

Endeavor is such a dick, the "Endeavor did nothing wrong" hasn't taken off/

A low IQ meme hasn't taken off

It's more that he's in that middle spot of being dickish enough that nobody likes him but not so awful that you get trolling points for pretending you approve of what he does.

Top Bottom