• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Veelk

Banned
Lol this was a good debate way back, here:

Academia%209%201.png

Anime revisionism doesn't count...unless it's like that in a color page in the manga, I guess.

But seriously, black and white, she looks straight up nude. Personally, I wish after already having some fanservice with Mt. Lady, we could get a sensibly dressed female hero.

Veelk

Banned
It's supposed to be like this, he just doesn't shade it.

Have a non-spoiler

latest

You're also looking at a sensibly dressed female hero above unless you don't count the UA kids.

Fair enough.

I really do like the side characters. Kirishima losing his shit because another guy has an ability similar to his, lol

cntr

Banned
Yeah, the outfits are a bit silly sometimes, but I'm willing to forgive it with how well-written the characters are.

Cerium

Edit: regarding depiction of females here, I'm writing this as I'm going along, so my knowledge of this isn't exactly complete, but I just got to the scene where Uraraka establishes that she's poor. It shows a flashback of her saying she wants to join the family company, but her dad says that he wants her to accomplish her own dreams. Like....honestly, how often do we get a scene where a girl is encouraged to follow her own dreams instead of staying in the realm of familial interests? Even in more progressive manga that have women following their own dreams, how many are actually encouraged by their loved ones to do so?

People can get upset about the way women are scantily clad, and that's a valid issue, but I find that people often forget what the actual problematic result of that is: That sexual objectification is often a diminishment of character. It means the author is putting women there to just be eye candy rather than treating them as heroes of another story.

I can't say how characters going to be treated in the next 50 chapters of this thing I have to read, but if the author doesn't let male gaze take away from the fact that the women in his story are active agents, persuing their own dreams and adventures along with the guys in his story, then the fanservice outfits shouldn't be a big deal compared to that. Like, it's still a legitimate point of complaint, but it's already on the path of a more fair depiction if it doesn't get in the way of their actual stories.
I think you're going to appreciate one particular moment later on in the series which more or less addresses this head on; one of the top male characters is paired with a female character in an exam and he just lays out his own plan without asking for her input. A teacher scolds him for this and points out that he never stopped to consider that the girl might have a better plan (indeed she does).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Midnight is definitive cake. The omake that showed her normal living clothes lol.

She was supposed to be Class A-1's teacher too lol.

Meffer

Anime revisionism doesn't count...unless it's like that in a color page in the manga, I guess.

But seriously, black and white, she looks straight up nude. Personally, I wish after already having some fanservice with Mt. Lady, we could get a sensibly dressed female hero.

Funny thing, Ochako was suppose to have Mt. Lady's quirk but he decided not to because her story would've been "too dark." Makes sense, most of Mt. Lady's fans in the MHA world are giant fetishists. This was covered in the Smash spin off so it's not an actual spoiler.

cntr

Banned
Presumably, having issues with being unable to fit in and standing out was proto-Ochako's backstory, and is still Mount Lady's actual backstory.

Veelk

Banned
I like the subtle character development here.

Deku started out acting so timid, but it's nice to see his confidence grow as he progresses. It's not even just because he has his abilities now, but because of his own accomplishments are leading him to have greater faith in himself. Compared to a lot of other shonen protagonist, who are literally fearless in the face of opposition, his budding confidence feels not just more earned, but actually inspiring.

Veelk

Banned
Ooh, shipping wars.

That's how you know a shonen manga has truly earned it's place, when shippers bust out knives in a fight for dominance.

cntr

Banned
a side effect of Horikoshi having a sense for body language and design, almost every character becomes someone's waifu or husbando as soon as they're introduced

Turns out making people not be moeblobs is a good thing!

cntr

Banned
Midoriya/Ochako is so obviously canon that I give it a 60% chance they start dating before the series ends, Baby Steps-style.

Veelk

Banned
Pfft. Canon. Like that matters.

Anyway, Chocobro's ability is the coolest one so far. Maybe not the strongest, but definitely the coolest.

Cerium

Midoriya/Ochako is so obviously canon that I give it a 60% chance they start dating before the series ends, Baby Steps-style.

Normally such a thing would be unthinkable in WSJ, but Horikoshi is willing to break many conventions...

Pfft. Canon. Like that matters.

Anyway, Chocobro's ability is the coolest one so far. Maybe not the strongest, but definitely the coolest.
If you're talking about Tokoyami it's definitely one of the strongest under the right circumstances. It might even be the strongest.

Veelk

Banned
Shoto's Backstory

Well....that's dark

Edit: You know, I back and forth on when this series fanservice is good enough vs when it's a bit too much, but I can't help but tip my hat to grape boy's cheerleader scheme. Little perv's got some actual cunning.

And honestly, this is a more fun form of fanservice. The cheerleader outfits aren't overly revealing or creepy, it's done from a character centric origin, and it reveals a bit more about the girl's actual characters (like how invisible girl actually likes it). I think this is one of the best fanservice conceits I've seen in a while. Man, even the fanservice of this series gets clever.

Lol at the mail order american cheerleaders tho

Maybe a week ago somebody made a thread about this series. It sounded sweet and I impulse picked it up.

WOW! Fantastic. I went on a reading marathon and I think I'm all the way caught up now! I mostly read superhero comics, so this is really my first shonen/manga or whatever. Really love it, definitely on the lookout for other things to read now!

The characters are unique and memorable, they blossom as the story goes on. Freaking All Might is so interesting, I kinda wish we got a deeper look at HIS insecurities, but I think that's gonna pop up way more often in the immediate future.

Fights are earned here too, a great push and pull. Stakes feel real, and the author isn't afraid to screw Deku up a bit so early on.

I could go on, but I'm sure you're all aware of what makes the series great. Totally hooked, thanks gaf!

SalvaPot

Maybe a week ago somebody made a thread about this series. It sounded sweet and I impulse picked it up.

WOW! Fantastic. I went on a reading marathon and I think I'm all the way caught up now! I mostly read superhero comics, so this is really my first shonen/manga or whatever. Really love it, definitely on the lookout for other things to read now!

The characters are unique and memorable, they blossom as the story goes on. Freaking All Might is so interesting, I kinda wish we got a deeper look at HIS insecurities, but I think that's gonna pop up way more often in the immediate future.

Fights are earned here too, a great push and pull. Stakes feel real, and the author isn't afraid to screw Deku up a bit so early on.

I could go on, but I'm sure you're all aware of what makes the series great. Totally hooked, thanks gaf!

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed it and feel free to come here and join the conversation, its actually a pretty active community as you can see. My Hero Academia is one of the series I'll recommend for sure to people who don't read a lot of manga, its just so enjoyable.

Cerium

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed it and feel free to come here and join the conversation, its actually a pretty active community as you can see. My Hero Academia is one of the series I'll recommend for sure to people who don't read a lot of manga, its just so enjoyable.

The thing about MHA is its consistency. One Piece, for example, has had higher highs but certainly lower lows, and it really hasn't been very good since the timeskip. I'm still waiting for a truly fist pumping moment of climax in MHA, but at the same time with MHA you know that every single week you're getting a good chapter. I think that also makes it a very reliable recommendation.

The thing about MHA is its consistency. One Piece, for example, has had higher highs but certainly lower lows, and it really hasn't been very good since the timeskip. I'm still waiting for a truly fist pumping moment of climax in MHA, but at the same time with MHA you know that every single week you're getting a good chapter. I think that also makes it a very reliable recommendation.

This is true. I look forward to MHA each week. One Piece I bank. Save a bunch of chapters and binge them all at once.

SalvaPot

I think we got one fist pumping climax in the
All Might vs Sensei fight
, remember that.

UNITED STATES OF SMASH.

Man, I get goosebumps, can't wait to have that volume.

Ascheroth

This is true. I look forward to MHA each week. One Piece I bank. Save a bunch of chapters and binge them all at once.
I'd say One Piece suffers from character bloat. Oda has such a shit-ton of characters and focuses on all of them, that individual chapters can slow to a crawl. MHA has a pretty large cast itself, but the way Horikoshi handled it so far is very good.

, remember that.

UNITED STATES OF SMASH.

Yeah, I'd say that was really fucking awesome, both the climax itself but the aftermath maybe even more so.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I knew I was going to like this one after the first few chapters, it hit all the right notes for me in terms of character, design, pacing, plotting, and so on. I still think the world building is a bit shakey, but it's no worse than American Superhero comics worldbuilding, so it's not that big a deal.

But the fight between Uraraku and Katsuki sealed the deal and now I love it. I love that Uraraka came up with her own intelligent strategy, even when Deku offered her one because she wanted to prove her own worth. I love that her strategy boiled down to trying to tank the hits of one of the most offensively powerful characters in the manga. This girl has ovaries of goddamn steel. I love that it almost worked. I love that Katsuki took her every bit as seriously as an opponent as he would anyone. I love that anyone who called him an asshole for it got called out on their ignorance and disrespect of Uraraka's capabilities. I love that she was allowed to truly give it her all and kept going until she literally collapsed from injury and exhaustion. It's one big "Fuck you" to everything I hate about how Shonen depicts it's female characters, and it's cathartic as fuck.

The main manga I currently read are Attack on Titan, Hunter X Hunter, Berserk, and One Pice. I have mostly good things to say about the first 3. Not so much about the last one. I read it for various other reasons because I like studying narrative, but I do not enjoy it, and one of the biggest complaints is how it treats women and keeps them away from combat. Because when you have a battle manga...no, when you set up a world that specifically revolves around violence the way OP's does, and you disallow women from participating in that violence on an equal footing, you prevent them from having the kind of agency you give your male characters. It doesn't matter if you give some of them super supporting abilities like expert navigation skills, because when it comes down to it, every event of import is determined by violence in OP, and when NO woman can participate in that... Look, it is a very bad subtextual message and it feeds into a very poisonous cultural norm that I believe every culture should be trying to erase and blah blah blah feminism and shit, but that's not even what I get at when I talk about this stuff. What this does, it just hurts the story itself, because you've rendered half your cast (well, more like a 1/5 in OP's case) idle spectators.

This is a difficult message to actually push through though with words alone and I've earned a great bit of ire from the OP thread trying to get it across. It's just hard to concretely explain why this is so important, how the story of OP, the one the fans are actually enjoying, is actively worse because it disallows it's female characters from being realized to their fullest potential. It's difficult to explain why.

This. This is why. MHA got me invested in it's main heroine's story in 36 chapters of her as a side character than One Piece has in 800+ chapters of Nami because now I know that Uraraka will do things I don't expect her to do. That MHA is willing to throw off conventional restrictions like the idea that men can't ever hit women (and like that is somehow a virtue in and of itself), the notion that women can't ever be hit unless it's by someone whose an irredeemable villain, that women can't fight other men on equal terms, that opens up the story to creative paths that are inaccessible to stories that stick to those traditions. Uraraka has the potential to do ANYTHING in this series, while Nami can't be anything but be a pair of flopping tits that plays in her sad little safe area of the story while the real main characters do everything of actual import (which also limits them in other ways). I don't believe any argument I've ever heard that states this isn't a demonstratively inferior way to tell a story. Just...in terms of sheer mathematics, the kinds of things Uraraka can do now numerically outweigh the things Nami can, for no real reason whatsoever. And every piece of fiction, manga or otherwise, that treats women equally has been able to explore newer and more interesting narratives for doing so.

You don't have to agree that this is the best fight ever or that MHA is better than OP as a manga or anything like that. But now, MHA has more freedom than OP has in how it can weave the narrative arc of an entire subgroup of it's characters, and that is VERY significant to how it MHA will form it's identity as a comprehensive series, and that has me far more excited to see how it will go than OP ever did.

Cerium

, remember that.

UNITED STATES OF SMASH.

Yeah I was gonna say that United States of Smash is probably the closest it's come so far. Still though it's
All-Might and not Deku
so the impact is different from, say, Luffy versus Crocodile. And there wasn't as much buildup. Maybe it'll hit me differently if I read that whole arc all at once.

But the fight between Uraraku and Katsuki sealed the deal and now I love it. I love that Uraraku came up with her own intelligent strategy, even when Deku offered her one because she wanted to prove her own worth. I love that her strategy boiled down to trying to tank the hits of one of the most offensively powerful characters in the manga. This girl has ovaries of goddamn steel. I love that it almost worked. I love that Katsuki took her every bit as seriously as an opponent as he would anyone. I love that anyone who called him an asshole for it got called out on their ignorance and disrespect of Uraraku's capabilities. It's one big "Fuck you" to everything I hate about how Shonen depicts it's female characters, and it's cathartic as fuck.

Her name is Uraraka. Uravity or Ochako also acceptable.

cntr

Banned
You can get away with not remembering the names pretty easy. I'm pretty sure every other person said things like "Frog Girl". "Gravity Girl" or "Hand McGee" for the first year of the series.

I still do it because it's fun tbh

Crocodile

• Latest chapter was great. Does that quash the "electric guy is secretly a spy" theories?
  • I can't say I really step into One Piece manga threads so I don't really know what goes on there but I find it hard to disagree with anything Veelk has said here <3
  • I'll admit, I find it hard to remember Japanese names. I don't know why. It's not even that say English names are easy to remember - just that Japanese names are especially hard for me to remember. I dunno why.

"My Hero" moment with Kouta was a great fist pump climax for deku even if it was only half way through the arc. I love the letter he sent being brought up later.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, just finished the Shoto - Deku fight.

What a fantastically done fight. The fighting actually reflected character development on both sides. Deku keeps learning how to be an actual hero, while Shoto was able to move past his father, tied with one of the darkest shonen backstories I've seen.

Seriously, in terms of how the action reflected the narrative going on and the emotional stakes behind each character, I'm hard pressed to remember a fight as competently written as this.

Jintor

What nicknames does he have? Is there a collection somewhere? I'm curious now.

Back during the athletics carnival the something awful thread was generating them at a tremendous rate, mainly to one-up one another

Freezer Burn
Frostburn
Icyhot
Ice Ice BBQ
Deep-fried Ice Cream
Jakiro (this one's a DOTA reference apparently)
Baked Alaska
Thermal Bag
Dry Ice
Hot or Not
Vanilla Ice
Hailfire Peaks
Flaming Snowman
Chillcano

Personally I just call him Zuko

cntr

Banned
For me, the Todoroki/Deku fight is where the series went from "has potential" to "this shit is going to be lit, yo"

Jintor

By the way, "Quirk" is like the single best generic term for power ever used in anything, ever, and the translator/fan translator who narrowed in on that term as a translation for &#20491;&#24615; is a genius (my dictionary says 'idiosyncracy')

Ascheroth

^those sure are some nicknames lol.

For me, the Todoroki/Deku fight is where the series went from "has potential" to "this shit is going to be lit, yo"
I'm rereading the sports festival arc currently (at Deku vs. Todoroki currently, definitely not because of Veelks impressions *cough*) and the entire arc is fantastic.
But I think the first time MHA had me really go "damn son" was that panel of Handyman during USJ.

cntr

Banned
By the way, "Quirk" is like the single best generic term for power ever used in anything, ever, and the translator/fan translator who narrowed in on that term as a translation for &#20491;&#24615; is a genius (my dictionary says 'idiosyncracy')
It was the fan-translator who came up with it, yeah, and the official translator kept it in. (He's an former fan-translator, iirc.)

Top Bottom