• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Meffer

I disagree. Horikoshi broke the old formula and made his own. I think it was USJ that made me realize it, when he didn't pair Midoriya with Ochako or Bakugou or any of the established characters and instead put him with Tsuyu and Mineta, who were nobody at that point. The rotations work and can work indefinitely.

Class B is mostly there for comic relief and to fill out the scenes and scenarios that require a large number of characters. Also for Kendou, who is great, and she hasn't even done anything.

Froppy is mostly just weird in appearance, she's actually very responsible and mature. There's an omake later on that explores her home life and her life before UA.
Her parents are always working so Froppy basically raised her younger siblings, cooking for them all while studying to get into UA.

Yes, the focus is Deku. He is narrating this story. So any character he is being with at the moment will have the focus too, and when they aren't their lives and actions still happen. You see it in the backgrounds and small details and they tell so much.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
FtQNvS3.png

Veelk

Banned
So, do we ever get an explanation for why Tsukoyomi is a bird even though it doesn't seem related to his cool as shit quirk?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I disagree. Horikoshi broke the old formula and made his own. I think it was USJ that made me realize it, when he didn't pair Midoriya with Ochako or Bakugou or any of the established characters and instead put him with Tsuyu and Mineta, who were nobody at that point. The rotations work and can work indefinitely.

Class B is mostly there for comic relief and to fill out the scenes and scenarios that require a large number of characters. Also for Kendou, who is great, and she hasn't even done anything.[/spoiler]

Again, I like the rotations now, but the problem's really surface when you get a character you really start to like and then they get sidelined for a longtime so another character can have five minutes. For example, the problem first surfaced for me with tape guy. I really love him in that festival when he taped onto Boku, that was a really clever move. And I was super excited for his fight with Ice Ice BBQ, and even as he got beasted I still really enjoyed him. Then he got rotated out and we barely saw him again until now. And also Frog Girl who was amazing and has disappeared. This isn't a problem unique to Hero, just a basic problem with any large cast. It's a compounding problem, especially in these kind of manga where they need to introduce new characters constantly. Hero is still relatively young and early with its story in my eyes, and these problems really aren't that big now, but they'll get there over time.

So, do we ever get an explanation for why Tsukoyomi is a bird even though it doesn't seem related to his cool as shit quirk?

I want more of an explanation why he is just a bird head stapled onto a normal person. Seeing his human hands always creeps me out

Most people have weird anatomy that don't directly relate to how their quirks work. He just looks cool.

This. The way Quirks work, children tend to inherit one or both of their parents' quirks, at varying levels of strength. In all likelihood, one (or more) of his parents were bird people, and one (or more) of his parents had an animated shadow, and this is the result.

Like, the dude with the rock-looking head? He controls animals. Totally unrelated to his appearance.

So...beastiality is a thing here....?

Anyway, Best Jeanist.

Some of the superheroes here are just awesome. Some are weirdly awesome. And some are.....

I mean... Best. Jeanist.

Jeanist is awesome yo

Respect #4

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I mean... Best. Jeanist.

I hate gimmick characters so much, especially in superhero things. Why does batman have to dress like a bat? That's dumb. Manbat would be a way better hero, he makes so much more sense. Sidenote: huge hypocrite because I love JJBA and that's basically gimmick of the week. Side Side Note: Best Jeanist is actually really cool.

I wasn't even insulting Best Jeanist.

I'm just flabbergasted that his quirk is apparently having the best jeans.

He's actually got fiber control. It's a pretty solid quirk so long as the opponent is, you know, wearing clothes made of fibers. Which is... most of them.

WarRock

"Tasteful nude" pffffffft.

What I like about Bakugou is that he is basically a standard over the top cocky protagonist, but since he is not the protagonist of this story, we end up having a completely different view of him.

Meffer

I hate gimmick characters so much, especially in superhero things. Why does batman have to dress like a bat? That's dumb. Manbat would be a way better hero, he makes so much more sense. Sidenote: huge hypocrite because I love JJBA and that's basically gimmick of the week. Side Side Note: Best Jeanist is actually really cool.

His quirk is the power to control fiber. Jeans more so. He's really powerful so of course he wears jeans.

SoulUnison

Banned
I meant they're a bird like Tsuyu is a frog.

Although the Principal is an unspecified animal who has a quirk that makes him intelligent.

So if the Principal is an animal whose quirk is "being more intelligent" along with some degree of "anthropomorphism," that means animals can have quirks, right?
So there's, like, invisible sharks and flying bears out there. Pudge controls the weather.

WarRock

You know that there is a Manbat, right?

Cerium

So if the Principal is an animal whose quirk is "being more intelligent" along with some degree of "anthropomorphism," that means animals can have quirks, right?
So there's, like, invisible sharks and flying bears out there. Pudge controls the weather.
Yes, I forget which chapter or omake, but it was explicitly stated that animals can have quirks although it is extremely rare.

Okay, I knew I was going to like this one after the first few chapters, it hit all the right notes for me in terms of character, design, pacing, plotting, and so on. I still think the world building is a bit shakey, but it's no worse than American Superhero comics worldbuilding, so it's not that big a deal.

But the fight between Uraraku and Katsuki sealed the deal and now I love it. I love that Uraraka came up with her own intelligent strategy, even when Deku offered her one because she wanted to prove her own worth. I love that her strategy boiled down to trying to tank the hits of one of the most offensively powerful characters in the manga. This girl has ovaries of goddamn steel. I love that it almost worked. I love that Katsuki took her every bit as seriously as an opponent as he would anyone. I love that anyone who called him an asshole for it got called out on their ignorance and disrespect of Uraraka's capabilities. I love that she was allowed to truly give it her all and kept going until she literally collapsed from injury and exhaustion. It's one big "Fuck you" to everything I hate about how Shonen depicts it's female characters, and it's cathartic as fuck.

The main manga I currently read are Attack on Titan, Hunter X Hunter, Berserk, and One Pice. I have mostly good things to say about the first 3. Not so much about the last one. I read it for various other reasons because I like studying narrative, but I do not enjoy it, and one of the biggest complaints is how it treats women and keeps them away from combat. Because when you have a battle manga...no, when you set up a world that specifically revolves around violence the way OP's does, and you disallow women from participating in that violence on an equal footing, you prevent them from having the kind of agency you give your male characters. It doesn't matter if you give some of them super supporting abilities like expert navigation skills, because when it comes down to it, every event of import is determined by violence in OP, and when NO woman can participate in that... Look, it is a very bad subtextual message and it feeds into a very poisonous cultural norm that I believe every culture should be trying to erase and blah blah blah feminism and shit, but that's not even what I get at when I talk about this stuff. What this does, it just hurts the story itself, because you've rendered half your cast (well, more like a 1/5 in OP's case) idle spectators.

This is a difficult message to actually push through though with words alone and I've earned a great bit of ire from the OP thread trying to get it across. It's just hard to concretely explain why this is so important, how the story of OP, the one the fans are actually enjoying, is actively worse because it disallows it's female characters from being realized to their fullest potential. It's difficult to explain why.

This. This is why. MHA got me invested in it's main heroine's story in 36 chapters of her as a side character than One Piece has in 800+ chapters of Nami because now I know that Uraraka will do things I don't expect her to do. That MHA is willing to throw off conventional restrictions like the idea that men can't ever hit women (and like that is somehow a virtue in and of itself), the notion that women can't ever be hit unless it's by someone whose an irredeemable villain, that women can't fight other men on equal terms, that opens up the story to creative paths that are inaccessible to stories that stick to those traditions. Uraraka has the potential to do ANYTHING in this series, while Nami can't be anything but be a pair of flopping tits that plays in her sad little safe area of the story while the real main characters do everything of actual import (which also limits them in other ways). I don't believe any argument I've ever heard that states this isn't a demonstratively inferior way to tell a story. Just...in terms of sheer mathematics, the kinds of things Uraraka can do now numerically outweigh the things Nami can, for no real reason whatsoever. And every piece of fiction, manga or otherwise, that treats women equally has been able to explore newer and more interesting narratives for doing so.

You don't have to agree that this is the best fight ever or that MHA is better than OP as a manga or anything like that. But now, MHA has more freedom than OP has in how it can weave the narrative arc of an entire subgroup of it's characters, and that is VERY significant to how it MHA will form it's identity as a comprehensive series, and that has me far more excited to see how it will go than OP ever did.

Oh Veelk, i love you <3

You nailed perfectly how i've been feeling lately about One piece, and you described masterfully the implications of the Ochako vs Bakugou fight, my favorite fight on MHA. I felt exactly the same way when i was reading those chapters, and i was left in awe with how they handled her. That was the point when this went from funny, interesting shonen to top tier IMO.

cntr

Banned
It's established in Chapter 1 that people inherit either one of their parents quirks, or a mixture of them.

So people like Tokoyami have fusions of form-type and ability-type quirks.

Veelk

Banned
I'm at the part where Stain is attacking Deku, Ida, and Shoto.

I have to say, this guy is really good at drawing villains. He seems to draw one or two features in very high detail, which gives a kind of creepy effect to it. Hands for Handy Handerson, brains for the Nomu's, and now this Stain guy's tongue and bandage wraps. His costume is pretty vicious looking too. It makes him look pretty intimidating.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it's almost like the author has two different styles, the main American-Japanese style, and then that crazy Junji Ito style.

Yeah, it's almost like the author has two different styles, the main American-Japanese style, and then that crazy Junji Ito style.

It's an extremely effective contrast, I have to say. The world of heroes is bright and cheery, with cartoonish proportions and big, earnest faces. The villains are gritty, filled with lines and unsettling details.

Stain is a really fascinating character, in my opinion. You can tell he's been through some shit.

Lunar15

I'm at the part where Stain is attacking Deku, Ida, and Shoto.

I have to say, this guy is really good at drawing villains. He seems to draw one or two features in very high detail, which gives a kind of creepy effect to it. Hands for Handy Handerson, brains for the Nomu's, and now this Stain guy's tongue and bandage wraps. His costume is pretty vicious looking too. It makes him look pretty intimidating.

In a way, it sorta reminds me of some of the earlier renditions of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I get a shredder vibe from Iida's outfit as well.

The artist is, unsurprisingly, a gigantic fan of western comic books, so it wouldn't surprise me.

cntr

Banned
I always liked how Todoroki's sister looks like an average person, undefined and not particularly fit. Compare (say) Ochako, who doesn't give that impression even in loose clothing.

And it makes sense! Ochako is a hero-in-training who needs to be physically strong, Fuyumi is a kindergarten teacher.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
PHEW. Just finished reading all of this over the past four days or so. Looks like I'm gonna have to switch groups if I wanna read the chapters when everyone else is, kind of a bummer since when I compared 106 between the two the slower (purposely delayed to my understanding) group seemed to have a clearer and more understandable translation. Not different enough that it'd really be worth reading em both tho.

I like it tho. I'm a big fan of how the artist draws intense scenes/faces, some great expressions and power-lines, tons of personality. Most manga I follow weekly I had been following as animes for years and finally swapped over to hundreds of chapters in, it's kinda neat to hook onto one so relatively early in its lifespan. Seems like there's still a enormous amount of potential for these characters.

What's the consensus in here by the way, U.A. or Yuuei?

PHEW. Just finished reading all of this over the past four days or so. Looks like I'm gonna have to switch groups if I wanna read the chapters when everyone else is, kind of a bummer since when I compared 106 between the two the slower (purposely delayed to my understanding) group seemed to have a clearer and more understandable translation. Not different enough that it'd really be worth reading em both tho.

I like it tho. I'm a big fan of how the artist draws intense scenes/faces, some great expressions and power-lines, tons of personality. Most manga I follow weekly I had been following as animes for years and finally swapped over to hundreds of chapters in, it's kinda neat to hook onto one so relatively early in its lifespan. Seems like there's still a enormous amount of potential for these characters.

What's the consensus in here by the way, U.A. or Yuuei?
Pretty much I read the fast/shit scans on Thursday, and then the official Viz WSJ release on Mondays.

Veelk

Banned
New villains joining the villain group. One of them seems to be missing skin from the jaw down. Designs continue to be creepy as all fuck.

Except for the girl, she just looks like a normal girl. Hope they do something special with her.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
New villains joining the villain group. One of them seems to be missing skin from the jaw down. Designs continue to be creepy as all fuck.

Except for the girl, she just looks like a normal girl. Hope they do something special with her.

lolololol

Veelk

Banned
Made it to the end of chapter 70 today. Will probably catch up by tomorrow.

I'm starting to see what everyone means about the series not quite reaching the highest of highs. For me, it nailed the emotional stakes of the battles for the characters, and does a lot of cool stuff with that, like Bakugo and Midoriya teaming up, and using it to keep developing the side characters in the background. The only problem is that now that they have the big villain threat slooooooowly building up in the background, a training exercise is starting to seem less and less important, even if it's doing some pretty major character stuff. I don't think of this as a serious flaw or anything, but when you have a series that's got so many side characters you need to develop, and then you present this new super cool and threatening villain, you risk a bit of impatience, even though the way he's developing side characters is still good.

Anyway, does anyone else think this is the best art in shonen? To be fair, I don't read much of shonen, I don't even know exactly what else is being published besides the few stuff I read, but while the main characters all look good, he seems to go all out on stuff that isn't the main characters. I just stopped where the forest devil beast showed up and it looks awesome. And we've already gone over how the villains get all the detail. This shit right here is going to appear in my nightmares tonight.

Jarmel

Banned
The Forest Arc is kinda meh but it does have a fairly big Deku fight in it and it directly leads into a huge moment afterwards which has some of the best chapters of the entire run. Also the pacing of the manga so far has definitely been on the quick side, so even some of the mediocre arcs don't drag too much.

For a weekly series, it has some phenomenal art. Horikoshi must have some godly assistants to keep everything on track.

Top Bottom