• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Lunar15

The villains for this series have such great and creepy designs. I don't know if anyone else feels this, but there's this genuine feeling of unease when I see them. I never got that from any other shonen. Naruto's Orochimaru sometimes had this in his most freaky moments, but it was rare. I think Bleach attempted it with Aizen's final form(s), but for the most part they were designed to look cool. MHA do look cool, but also legitimately scary.

He definitely draws out a different art style with villains. It's effective, but also reminiscent of western comics. It's very sketchy, with thick, erratic lines. But other times it's just way more detailed... which feels unnatural in manga. Definitely know what you mean when you say "unease". Some of his panels remind me of horror manga.

This will always be such an effectively creepy panel:

d042c42ea01c566a2d4e01df834de569.jpg

And this:

He definitely draws out a different art style with villains. It's effective, but also reminiscent of western comics. It's very sketchy, with thick, erratic lines. Definitely know what you mean when you say "unease".

I would say that All Might is more his "western" style. His villain look is more horror manga, though a lot of their designs owe a lot to 90s American comics (though stripped of most of their excess, which is fortunate).

ed: God, Stain was SO GOOD.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Calling it now, he's going to get out in the eventual prison break chapter that I am so sure that will happen along with the eventual Toga "training" Deku how to do the stealth thing chapter.

Honestly I wouldn't' be surprised if that was the villain's ultimate plan for gathering allies? I am really curious about Handy's mental state right now without out his teacher and I'd be kind of shocked if he wasn't at least thinking about how to get him out.

I remember people joking about how Stain must not have a nose, and, well

I look at that page and can't help but think of Butters from South Park going "phonies" and just giggling to myself.

Lunar15

I would say that All Might is more his "western" style. His villain look is more horror manga, though a lot of their designs owe a lot to 90s American comics (though stripped of most of their excess, which is fortunate).

Stain reminded me of the Ninja Turtles, and when the lizard guy started imitating him I think that became even more obvious.

Calling it now, he's going to get out in the eventual prison break chapter that I am so sure that will happen along with the eventual Toga "training" Deku how to do the stealth thing chapter.

Honestly I wouldn't' be surprised if that was the villain's ultimate plan for gathering allies? I am really curious about Handy's mental state right now without out his teacher and I'd be kind of shocked if he wasn't at least thinking about how to get him out.

I look at that page and can't help but think of Butters from South Park going "phonies" and just giggling to myself.

Any prison break that involves also breaking out Stain is going to go very poorly for the "rescuers."

Stain reminded me of the Ninja Turtles, and when the lizard guy started imitating him I think that became even more obvious.

Definitely an influence, yeah. Especially those early years, shit was dark.

cntr

Banned
My prediction is that when they try to break All for One out, Stain fights against them in opposition, and splits the villain team since some of them are still Stain fans, and wouldn't be happy to hear that Stain thinks they're poopheads

FlowersisBritish

Any prison break that involves also breaking out Stain is going to go very poorly for the "rescuers."

Stain is such a martyr for these people I can not see a world where they don't try and break him out, even if Stain is an absolute jerk to them five minutes later. The more I think about it, I can see Handy lying and saying they're there to get Stain but secretly wants to get A4O out. That narrative makes way more sense for this villain's alliance, because who honestly really knows who A4O is outside of the city destruction and what not?

He definitely draws out a different art style with villains. It's effective, but also reminiscent of western comics. It's very sketchy, with thick, erratic lines. But other times it's just way more detailed... which feels unnatural in manga. Definitely know what you mean when you say "unease". Some of his panels remind me of horror manga.

This will always be such an effectively creepy panel:

d042c42ea01c566a2d4e01df834de569.jpg

And this:

Don't forget about
yandare-himiko-featuredimage.jpg

SalvaPot

Don't forget about
yandare-himiko-featuredimage.jpg

Man its clear she is in her happy face.

All this talk about secret sons and bastards makes me wonder. Does All Might have a son or daughter? Maybe a past lover? We really don't know that much about him other than how he got his power and how he cares for Deku and been the Symbol of Peace. We really don't know much about his personal life.

Cerium

Man its clear she is in her happy face.

All this talk about secret sons and bastards makes me wonder. Does All Might have a son or daughter? Maybe a past lover? We really don't know that much about him other than how he got his power and how he cares for Deku and been the Symbol of Peace. We really don't know much about his personal life.

I feel that if he had anything like that we'd know.

Steve Rodgers doesn't have a son does he?

I feel that if he had anything like that we'd know.

Steve Rodgers doesn't have a son does he?

As long as he's been around and as chock-full of fuckery comics are, I'd be shocked if he didn't have a kid who was promptly shuffled away by the next writer.

Fake ed: Marvel wikia says that he's got an adopted son who picked up the Nomad name and one who seems to have been miscarried.

COMICS!

oh man, horikoshi just dialed my hype up to 11 with this chapter

im incredibly interested to hearr about all might and one for all's past

Veelk

Banned
I read that nomad storyline when Winter Soldier got released, and it made me stop reading Captain America comics, the current writer atleast. It was dumb.

But as far as this chapter goes, I wish I could join in singing it's praises, but the election just doesn't have me in the mood for it. Usually, I love moral complexity, but at this particular time, I'm not looking to sympathize with villains. It was an objectively good chapter from a writing stand point, villains continue to be excellently designed and well humanized, and I am already itching to hear what All Might and All For One have to say...but right now I just need a comic of Captain America punching Trump.

Cerium

Midoriya is basically All-Might's adopted son.

Come to think of it that's probably why he doesn't have an actual father in the manga.

FlowersisBritish

I read that nomad storyline when Winter Soldier got released, and it made me stop reading Captain America comics, the current writer atleast. It was dumb.

But as far as this chapter goes, I wish I could join in singing it's praises, but the election just doesn't have me in the mood for it. Usually, I love moral complexity, but at this particular time, I'm not looking to sympathize with villains. It was an objectively good chapter from a writing stand point, villains continue to be excellently designed and well humanized, and I am already itching to hear what All Might and All For One have to say...but right now I just need a comic of Captain America punching Trump.

I am so glad I am not the only who felt this way. Yeah, it was interesting with the world building but it was all stuff I kind of figured out ahead of time and I was just not up for something that resembled(even in the slightest) resemblance to this current political fucking climate.

Also the schizophrenic who hears voices telling him to do things is one of my least favorite trope and I'll leave you to guess why. Yeah, normally I'd be all about this but man, this just kind of left me annoyed and pissed again :/

Honestly I am way more curious what his living space is like. Enough of these kids and their dorm rooms (I will forever be annoyed at the fact these kids arent bunking up for a litany of reasons) I wanna see where the pro heros live.

Veelk

Banned
I read it as more of a statement on mental illness rather than anything political.
Politics is a social force. It's not possible to depict an apolitical society. But I don't think the author was making a statement on American politics or anything. That's not what I meant.

I just meant I'm just not in the emotional headspace right now to feel good about sympathizing with villains.

FlowersisBritish

I read it as more of a statement on mental illness rather than anything political.

Again, I think it's just the mere shade, a pure coincidence. But the parallels are there if you want to look for them, a generally well-liked, meme-worthy hero, replaced by a fucking ass hat, a string of violence by people normally dormant but who now feel empowered to do what they want. Not saying its purposeful social commentary, just some bad timing is all.

I like how her text bubbles are clear indicating that she's heavily panting, relishing the thought.

I will always have a place in my heart for the crazy girl and boy oh boy is she crazy. I'm super excited when she gets screen time hopefully next chapter.

Oddish1

It was the chapter opening with a critique of the media "fanning flames of anxiety" that pulled me from my lighthearted escapism. It's hard not to see parallels with recent going-ons.

SalvaPot

I am so glad I am not the only who felt this way. Yeah, it was interesting with the world building but it was all stuff I kind of figured out ahead of time and I was just not up for something that resembled(even in the slightest) resemblance to this current political fucking climate.

Also the schizophrenic who hears voices telling him to do things is one of my least favorite trope and I'll leave you to guess why. Yeah, normally I'd be all about this but man, this just kind of left me annoyed and pissed again :/

Honestly I am way more curious what his living space is like. Enough of these kids and their dorm rooms (I will forever be annoyed at the fact these kids arent bunking up for a litany of reasons) I wanna see where the pro heros live.

They reveal one of his departments in the comedy spin-off.

Veelk

Banned
It was the chapter opening with a critique of the media "fanning flames of anxiety" that pulled me from my lighthearted escapism. It's hard not to see parallels with recent going-ons.
That's an extremely generic statement that could apply to any escalating situation.

For me, it's just the fall if the symbol of hope with the inheritors of the title being significantly less adequate as those who wish the innocent harm gain more of a footing.

All Might's fall was weeks before the election results came in. But it's only now that I feel I am in a situation state as the inhabitants of MHA.

Our heroes are gone and the future is uncertain. It's an compelling scenario. Hell, I'll probably appreciate it more once I've had time to adjust. But right now, this moment, I just don't need a world that's lost its shining light with a dark future ahead.

Cerium

Sheesh, guys, I read manga to escape grim realities. I'd rather talk about Naruto then about the election.

Have some adorable baby Sarada.

RLZoMem.png

FlowersisBritish

Sheesh, guys, I read manga to escape grim realities. I'd rather talk about Naruto then about the election.

Oh good I was worried people had unofficially forbidden me from talking about Naruto again but now that's the case let me tell you was Handy is basically Garra with less bathing and use the plot of the noncontroversial Ninja War Arc to predict the future Civil War arc.
I kid, but they do have weird symbols of love over their faces. So if I go with this half-baked theory, I will bet someone five bucks that the kids dad tried to kill him or something.

But to lighten the mood people should reread early chapters. Character development is fun and all but in general it makes everyone various degrees of good and I don't see enough of that in the opposite direction where characters become worse people. And boy it was easy for them to become good people because the early characters were diiiiiicks.

Like that time All Might took Deku to train and he asked why he had to pull this giant ass fridge and All Might goes "Aren't you precious!"

Or that time Iida almost kicked Deku's ass for making noise during the test then later flawlessly entered the mindset of a villain!

Or that time Shouta threatened to frost burn th shit out of a guy for information. Man a bunch of these characters used to be such ass holes...

Super side note: wow looking for evil Iida pics and I accidently came across a crazy image. Major possible spoiler, click at your own risk. Might be as fucking big as the electroguy theory.

Edit: link to a picture cause I don't seem to have much sucess spoiler tagging the image sorry..

Most people consider it debunked since the all might vs afo arc.
Tsukauchi and Gate guy were both there during the kamino ward incident.

Tsukauchi with endeavour and Gate guy with Shiggy

FlowersisBritish

Most people consider it debunked since the all might vs afo arc.
Tsukauchi and Gate guy were both there during the kamino ward incident.

Tsukauchi with endeavour and Gate guy with Shiggy

haha beat me to debunking my own thing. I was going through images of him and noticed that too. Side note: They also both the same taste in buttons too. What a weird coincidence.

Cerium

Agreed, but until I see a fight scene you can not convince me that character isn't just some snake someone put in a wig.

But for real, isn't that Froppy's friend or am I imagining that.
Yes that is Habuko Mongoose.

Her quirk petrifies you if you make eye contact. It was shown in the omake.

She's medusa, basically. Or a basilisk.

FlowersisBritish

What a low hanging fruit of a quirk. Snake girl? She petrifies. No creativity.

Her real quirk should be if she stares you in the eyes for five seconds you get sick ass hair like hers.

cntr

Banned
My bet is that All Might focused his entire life on becoming the Symbol of Peace, and didn't have time for a romantic relationship or a family. If Ochako and Deku get together, it'll probably be something All Might talks to about with Izuku.

Cerium

My bet is that All Might focused his entire life on becoming the Symbol of Peace, and didn't have time for a romantic relationship or a family. If Ochako and Deku get together, it'll probably be something All Might talks to about with Izuku.

Assuming he lives that long because by gawd how long are those two going to be dancing around each other?

FlowersisBritish

I hope it happens and Deku rejects her because 1) We all know where my loyalties lie but mostly 2) I love rejections in fiction. There is nothing I adore more than when a pair you think we'll be perfect says "No" to each other. I'm still going off a high from it in a shojo manga I recently read and I'm not ashamed to say I just want another fix.

Speaking of rejections, I think All Might loved his old sensei, the previous All Might, and he held his heart to her and she said no. We already know Handy is her kid, and that Handy has some problems with his dad, so I am sure that the flashback we are undoubtedly about to get will have All Might getting turned down. That might be enough for my fix tbh.

cntr

Banned
Nana was in her 30/40s and likely already married when All Might was a teenager, so wut that's not gonna happen.

romantic drama is stupid

I'd like a Jump manga to have an actual normal relationship for once, teach the Japanese kids how real life works. It never happens in a Jump story. The only time it sort of happened was Eyeshield 21, Dragonball Z, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but Sena/Suzuna was completely background, Goku's marriage was a joke, and Jojo relationships don't count, and turned out terrible for everybody involved.

FlowersisBritish

But its weird because in any of the flashbacks we see, She looks fairly young if you ask me. Honestly the timeline for the series has really been confusing me for awhile around the time I read A4O is some 200 year old super deity or something? But I don't think it ever said how long the quirks have been around for?

Also I think relationship drama is my favorite kind of drama. So much so I might actually pick up Eye Shield despite my deep hatred of sportsball. Is it like an actual relationship? Or a fake one like the kind they have in Baby Steps and every other god damn sports manga.

Edit: you already answered my question. Also if we're listing actual relationships in shonen stuff that, you know, do the date thing, then I can only really think of none. Except Nisekoi, which I actually really enjoyed the early parts because even if they faked a relationship, at least they went on things that could be considered god damn dates.

Cerium

I've said it before, but if they ever get around to it, Sarada and Boruto seem like they'll be perfectly normal and well adjusted.

They'd also make some ridiculously hax children.

cntr

Banned
Well, sort of. There's a relationship in Eyeshield 21, but it's literally in the background. It never comes up in dialogue, at no point does anybody acknowledge it, but it's clearly a thing from the way Sena and Suzuna interact, especially their body language. It's really weird. (It's less obvious in the anime, they replaced it there with normal anime-style teasing.)

Since the first quirk appeared in the 20th century, Deku is at minimum in the 6th generation of quirk users (his mom was said to be in the 5th for her family), and you estimate a generation as "about 20 years", then MHA is currently in the 22nd century.

And that works out, it gives enough room for the quirk apocalypse to happen then be recovered from, there's near-future high technology like holograms and semi-sentient robots, and Izuku mentioned that if the apocalypse hadn't happened, people would be exploring the solar system by now.

FlowersisBritish

Jeeeeeeez I totally forgot about that apocalypse. I always get thrown off by the settings time period because the level of technology is so inconsistent or just not shown, that I just assume its fancy shonen modern day Japan

I've said it before, but if they ever get around to it, Sarada and Boruto seem like they'll be perfectly normal and well adjusted.

They'd also make some ridiculously hax children.

You know, I also had that thought when I read those few chapters, but honestly the whole "man our kids should get together!" thing that tends to pop up in these post timeskips has always kind of creeped me out. Unless they're supposed to creep me out, then their okay! But no one has catered to my specific needs, which is a shame because I would rewrite a bunch of stuff into some grade A nonsense.

cntr

Banned
I mean, Deku explicitly says technological progress got thrown off by the apocalypse, so it makes sense they're close to the modern age, but with extra stuff that quirks would let them invent.

Like for example, a person with a quirk like Yaoyorozu would make inventing new things easier, they're perfect 3d printers. I'd bet on that being how her family got rich. But at the same time, a handful of people with quirks like hers aren't enough to mass produce things and actually revolutionize society, only improve it/fix it from the apocalypse.

Same goes for other quirks, Nedzu-style superintelligence quirks would let things be invented, Kouda-style animal communication quirks would make things like reestablishing the environment be easier, Cementoss/Pixiebob-style manipulation quirks would let things be easily rebuilt, and so on.

Cerium

You know, I also had that thought when I read those few chapters, but honestly the whole "man our kids should get together!" thing that tends to pop up in these post timeskips has always kind of creeped me out. Unless they're supposed to creep me out, then their okay! But no one has catered to my specific needs, which is a shame because I would rewrite a bunch of stuff into some grade A nonsense.
I get where you're coming from but I thought they go well together on their own merits. It's just a good dynamic. Also the parents have nothing to do with it seeing as how Naruto and Sasuke have minimal involvement in their kids' lives. If I were to ship members of that team based on their parents I'd probably go with Sarada and Mitsuki. Sasuke's daughter and Orochimaru's son? Talk about forbidden love. (Mitsuki is also a nice boy and very polite.)

I mean, Deku explicitly says technological progress got thrown off by the apocalypse, so it makes sense they're close to the modern age, but with extra stuff that quirks would let them invent.
It was mentioned that the apocalypse was what set humanity back from space travel, but wouldn't those teleportation and gravity manipulation quirks be a huge boon in that area? How far is the teleportation actually limited anyway? You'd think there would at least be Mars colonies.

Hell, Ochako's quirk alone would completely remove the need for booster rockets. That would be unbelievably huge. You could send whatever you want into orbit with no effort or cost.

Top Bottom