• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
This Hero Killer dude... great villain so far.

He really is.

I'd love his back story, maybe he was a Hero who realized that a lot of Heroes were in name only and he decided to become a Villain to make that known.

Or maybe he lost someone to a selfish Hero in his past and vowed to change the Hero world.

SalvaPot

This manga would be good if it wasnt so insanely predictable at times. Ida ought to have been off'd and not saved by Midoriya. Dull.

Not all manga rely on shock value or death to make interesting stories, and I agree My Hero Academia is predictable sometimes, but that is mostly due to the reader experience with this type of storylines and character arcs.

In a way, I think what makes MHA good is how expressive the art and characters are and how the story is handled with self-awareness, sense of fun and a strong sense of identity. I can see a lot of similarities with other popular stories but I can´t help but enjoy the story, its a Shonen so it can´t go heavy on the plot twist early on or they will have to constantly one-up itself and the story will lose impact and lose all meaning, so I think Iida is going to be fine for now, but given a opportunity to grow as a character, same with Deku.

Expect the big twists, maybe even deaths, by chapter 100.

Meffer

This manga would be good if it wasnt so insanely predictable at times. Ida ought to have been off'd and not saved by Midoriya. Dull.

I actually think it would've too predictable killing Iida (and this early). Also it would be a terrible idea. Why do that when they've been focusing on his character right now?

Some people have this misguided idea that killing a character makes stories more potent and can better show growth of characters connected to that character, but in this instance I don't see what killing off Iida would improve. We're only 50-some odd chapters in and are still trying to get emotionally connected with most (or all) of the characters.

Some people have this misguided idea that killing a character makes stories more potent and can better show growth of characters connected to that character, but in this instance I don't see what killing off Iida would improve. We're only 50-some odd chapters in and are still trying to get emotionally connected with most (or all) of the characters.

I blame GRRM.

cntr

Banned
It's a general trend in modern fiction to consider only "dark" and depressing things to be a "serious" story.

Ashodin

She's smart, not drawn overly attractive (a lot of females are actually interestingly not drawn super attractive) and no nonsense. She's my exact type.

If you want a more attractive type, you go for Float Girl

or Miss Midnight

Nocebo

Spoiler pics: Looks exciting!
even though not much appears to be happening. Can't wait for the next one though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
My face when I read originally Mount Girl's powers were going to belong to Ochako. :<

Finally caught up with the series, wow it's been a super exciting run so far! :O I'm loving Deku's progression throughout, and I'm one of the few who actually appreciate Bakugou as a character. Can't wait to keep reading!

I don't want Iida dead yet, the story shouldn't go too dark too quickly ;__;

Puruzi

Banned
Finally caught up with the series, wow it's been a super exciting run so far! :O I'm loving Deku's progression throughout, and I'm one of the few who actually appreciate Bakugou as a character. Can't wait to keep reading!

I don't want Iida dead yet, the story shouldn't go too dark too quickly ;__;

tumblr_nf7ahhm2OC1sxap1so1_500.png

SalvaPot

My face when I read originally Mount Girl's powers were going to belong to Ochako. :<

I read that in the volume released by Viz Media but the translation there said that Mount Girl originally was going to have the role of Ochako, as in the main heroine. Maybe I read that wrong, lol.

I was able to buy Volume 1 early on Comic-Con =)

I read that in the volume released by Viz Media but the translation there said that Mount Girl originally was going to have the role of Ochako, as in the main heroine. Maybe I read that wrong, lol.

They're gonna release volumes in the states? When and for how much? :O

ss-hikaru

Lucky! I can't wait to see what extras there are in the compiled volume.

Started reading this, got to chapter 13. I love the artstyle and some moments were amazing but it feels too much "by the books" as far as shonen can go.

Will keep reading though.

SalvaPot

Just got caught up on this... Damn, this is easily one of the best manga's I've read in years.

Started reading this, got to chapter 13. I love the artstyle and some moments were amazing but it feels too much "by the books" as far as shonen can go.

Will keep reading though.

Welcome! Its extremely enjoyable, there is something about the pacing and the art that really makes it a fun read.

Mitch

Banned
Managed to order the first volume from Amazon for $5. Doesn't release until Aug 3rd. I've seen a lot of chatter about this on GAF and /r/manga, so I figured it'd be worth picking up.

a cool entrance that heats up the situation

Spoilers bruh

GREAT chapter! Midoriya continues to evolve nicely, and Stain continues to be one creepy motherfucker who is entirely too good at this.

Real talk though:
Todoroki
is just SO far out of Stain's league. Not sure how he's gonna handle that kind of power. Think he might end up getting driven off for now.

Tenck

I finished reading some manga and was looking to start on something new. Accidentally spotted this thread and now I can't wait till August 4th.

WarRock

Real talk though:
Todoroki
is just SO far out of Stain's league. Not sure how he's gonna handle that kind of power. Think he might end up getting driven off for now.
We don't know that yet. Stain can have so much stuff up his sleeve we don't know. And
Todoroki
can't do that much of his OP stuff in that closed space with three people to save knocked down.

Spoilers bruh

GREAT chapter! Midoriya continues to evolve nicely, and Stain continues to be one creepy motherfucker who is entirely too good at this.

Real talk though:
Todoroki
I think this might be the point where Stain shows his stuff. He managed to figure out Midoriya's battle plan somehow, so he's got some smarts. Plus you don't get the title of Hero Killer and get embarrassed by high school heroes, even if it is
Todoroki.

We don't know that yet. Stain can have so much stuff up his sleeve we don't know. And
Todoroki
can't do that much of his OP stuff in that closed space with three people to save knocked down.

I think this might be the point where Stain shows his stuff. He managed to figure out Midoriya's battle plan somehow, so he's got some smarts. Plus you don't get the title of Hero Killer and get embarrassed by high school heroes, even if it is
Todoroki.

It just seems like a bad match to me.
Todoroki can freeze him at range
; Stain can't close the distance to get the blood he needs for his power to work.

I mean, it's a comic, fundamentally, so if the writer wants it any character can beat any other character, I just see it as a good way to put the arc to bed for now.

Ushay

Really enjoying this manga, I can see this becoming the next big thing growing with the characters into adults and having some great storylines.

Can't wait to see this get animated.

dan2026

This really does feel like Shonen action done right.

Lets hope it doesn't crash and burn like several other inexplicably popular series who wont be named.

Can't wait to see this get animated.

I hope there is no anime adaption for a good long time.

Catched up. Lots of charisma in some characters (specially liked that Bro interaction between steel and stone dude), and bird guy is badass.

Still, Midoriya's powers are the most boring of them all, but that's a shonen thing.

WarRock

It just seems like a bad match to me.
Todoroki can freeze him at range
; Stain can't close the distance to get the blood he needs for his power to work.

I mean, it's a comic, fundamentally, so if the writer wants it any character can beat any other character, I just see it as a good way to put the arc to bed for now.
He can throw a sword at one of the knocked guys.

And we don't know how exactly his quirk works, if he really doesn't have ranged abilities, etc
We'll probably discover in this fight, if it does not end with him fleeing/being covered.

Top Bottom