• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I suggest checking Junji Ito's work to get a good grasp on horror manga. PN is tame compare to Usumaki.

Everything is tame compared to the work of Junji Ito. If schlock like THE BYE BYE BYE BYE MAN gets the horror brand, I'd let PN have it too. But again, the line is pretty thin between horror and thrillers in general.

cntr

Banned
Eh, I'd say they're both horror, just different kinds. And Junji Ito's waaay out there.

As a very big horror aficionado, gonna put on my cap that says EXPERT and spout nothing but right opinions. [...]
Yeah, well put.

Remember when people joked that Stain must not have a nose...and then he actually didn't? That was great.

Veelk

Banned
I have to point out that the reason that I find TPN as creepy isn't the monster design. They're decent, but they're not that bad(good?).

It's how the children have to pretend they love the mother while the mother pretends to love the children while they're all against each other.

I think, conceptually speaking, the most horrific thing in the world is love that either is something else in disguise or perverted to the point where it can't be called love by any right. When I think of the things that scare me the most, it's something to the effect of that. I mean, abstractly speaking, we kind of live for love. And if that's poisoned, what else do we have?

MHA doesn't have anything like that. Maybe it will with All for One and Handy, but their relationship seems normal and genuine, and we don't know enough about it to be disturbed by it, if there is anything to be disturbed by. But Flowers outlined why, visually at least, the villains are so unsettling.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have to point out that the reason that I find TPN as creepy isn't the monster design. They're decent, but they're not that bad(good?).

It's how the children have to pretend they love the mother while the mother pretends to love the children while they're all against each other.

I think, conceptually speaking, the most horrific thing in the world is love that either is something else in disguise or perverted to the point where it can't be called love by any right. When I think of the things that scare me the most, it's something to the effect of that. I mean, abstractly speaking, we kind of live for love. And if that's poisoned, what else do we have?

MHA doesn't have anything like that. Maybe it will with All for One and Handy, but their relationship seems normal and genuine, and we don't know enough about it to be disturbed by it, if there is anything to be disturbed by. But Flowers outlined why, visually at least, the villains are so unsettling.

The kids are only what 11 and have lived all of their life raised by this woman who they gave and felt unconditional love and now all of a sudden they found out it was all a lie. If it wasn't for the fact that the series already established the three mains were geniuses, I don't know how any kid could react to the truth. Those sudden changes of expression of Isabella once that facade was gone were chilling.

I'm going to guess that AfO's backstory with Hands is going to show how he twisted the truth about Hands parent's deaths.

Meffer

The kids are only what 11 and have lived all of their life raised by this woman who they gave and felt unconditional love and now all of a sudden they found out it was all a lie. If it wasn't for the fact that the series already established the three mains were geniuses, I don't know how any kid could react to the truth. Those sudden changes of expression of Isabella once that facade was gone were chilling.

I'm going to guess that AfO's backstory with Hands is going to show how he twisted the truth about Hands parent's deaths.

I honestly think AfO gave Hand's the quirk he has.

Meffer

I dunno, seems like hands quirk killed his dad. Unless you mean before, when Hands was a kid?

That's what I'm saying, AfO gave Hands his disintegration quirk which led to Hands killing his family by accident traumatizing him and AfO swooping in and take advantage of him.
How else would AfO take in Hands so quickly after if he wasn't aware of what would happen before? Not to mention AfO said this was the revenge he wanted.

That's what I'm saying, AfO gave Hands his disintegration quirk which led to Hands killing his family by accident traumatizing him and AfO swooping in and take advantage of him.
How else would AfO take in Hands so quickly after if he wasn't aware of what would happen before? Not to mention AfO said this was the revenge he wanted.

ALSO, if Handsy was quirkless prior, it'd set up a nice parallel between him and Deku.

Tamaki amajiki is the best of the big three. Hopefully we get to see him fight.

Sad Kaminari was knocked out, at least he thought Tamaki was pretty.
C3B_JWbXgAAIAul.jpg:large

cntr

Banned
Chapter's out!

Chapter 124

...and the translation's kind of iffy, haha. But the chapter was pretty fun. Thoughts on the reveals later.

All Mights Sidekick :000

I mean should have expected he had one but being no1 and all didnt really think about it

Also this made me laugh.
Hne3DXh.png

Translation is probably exaggerated but that badly drawn tokoyami in that background running to him is great.

cntr

Banned
yeah, that was really badly translated

"Sir" seems to be Mirio's mentor? And
All Might's former sidekick?
He kind of looks like Swagamoto. Bets on him being central to the next arc.

Edit: There's another better translation out! Go look for it.

Trojita

Deku is definitely interning with Mirio's mentor who is going to be All Mights previous sidekick.

lmao at Asui calling it a video game glitch. That's my girl.

Also lmao at invisible notepad and Uraraka noticing it.

Did Yaoyorozu just break the 4th wall?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just last week people were asking about falling into the earth and not being able to breathe, classic intangibility issues that usually go unaddressed. Quality work, MHA.

cntr

Banned
Yeah! And turns out that the thing with Mirio having his mouth closed was important, since he needs to hold his breath for his quirk.

Trojita

How the fuck does he talk or breathe if the rest of his body is phased into a building?

The breathing thing was classic Shadowcat.

FlowersisBritish

Shigaraki's new outfit is dope.

Kay, so for all the shit I give the Villian's Alliance, I actually really love these scrubs for the most part. Just wish they didn't jobb all the freaking time. Anyway, Shigaraki looks like a flasher now
And I like it!

Super disappointed in bird dudes dumb coat though! But I mostly just dislike those fluffy hood style coats but really love birbs :/

Veelk

Banned
I was desperate and panicking, unable to comprehend how Tintin's powered worked. I thought I'd never get answers.

And then Horikoshi said "Worry not, for I am here!"

lmao at Asui calling it a video game glitch. That's my girl.

Hey, credit where it's due. Ashido is the one who called that shit out.

Trojita

I was desperate and panicking, unable to comprehend how Tintin's powered worked. I thought I'd never get answers.

And then Horikoshi said "Worry not, for I am here!"

Hey, credit where it's due. Ashido is the one who called that shit out.

Fuck, had a brain fart. Thanks for correcting.

cntr

Banned
I wonder if Deku and Shigaraki both starting out with fairly lame clothes and ending up with fairly cool outfits is meant to be a trend?
I'm kind of confused about "curl in a ball" panel. Is it Todoroki's thought or something else?
Bad translation, it's supposed to say something like "You're being timid now?"

caliph95

I wonder if Deku and Shigaraki both starting out with fairly lame clothes and ending up with fairly cool outfits is meant to be a trend?
Bad translation, it's supposed to say something like "You're being timid now?"

That makes more sense was confused by that.

I do like Todoroki being like nope after seeing tintin

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How the fuck does he talk or breathe if the rest of his body is phased into a building?

He unphases his upper body I guess? Or just his mouth. It's a bit kooky. The question is at what point does the air he inhale become "part of his body" and thus subject to the rules of the quirk. Clearly, there's still air inside him when he holds his breath so now that air is "his", and he can expel it like normal out of his unphased mouth. But he can't inhale more? Or maybe he can inhale as long as his mouth/nose is unphased.

Or perhaps the air becomes "his" the moment he holds his breath and that's all he has to work with.

EDIT: Or he just doesn't.

Trojita

I definitely didn't expect physics to refix itself and spit Mirio out with added momentum.

Horikoshi da gawd.

Edit: Unintended double post :S

FlowersisBritish

RIP not Slime Girl

I love how everyone was "Ah yeah! Best girl!" until the reveal and I just sat here going, "She's alright, but she ain't no Toga."

I definitely didn't expect physics to refix itself and spit Mirio out with added momentum.

Horikoshi da gawd.

Edit: Unintended double post :S

I didn't expect him to get shot out. That's a rule I don't really remember seeing in these kind of characters, but it makes sense. I mean, as much sense as anything really.

Veelk

Banned

I didn't expect him to get shot out. That's a rule I don't really remember seeing in these kind of characters, but it makes sense. I mean, as much sense as anything really.

Well, it doesn't make too much sense at all. It's more like when people get quirks, they seem to have safeguards built into them so that the user doesn't hurt themselves too much.

Really, there isn't a reason that if Tintin only partially phases his body, he shouldn't die. He gave the example that he keeps his legs unphased when walking through a wall so he doesn't immediately fall through the floor. Meaning there is some force keeping his leg and body attached, because if gravity still affects his body while he's phasing, then what should happen is that the phased part of his body falls through the ground, while his leg remains on the ground where he left it.

It's kind of a contrived convenience (unless we somehow find out at some point that the quirks are engineered by an intelligent being that thought of these conditions and made these safeguards), but I like that it's atleast partially addressed.

I prefer it when some kind of explanation is atleast attempted rather than just leaving it unexplained.

FlowersisBritish

I actually meant in the sense of the classic "But what if I unphaze in a wall!" conundrum. Because if you suddenly unphase in a wall, then you don't instantly replace the mass there. If you do, what happens to it? I like the logic here that, the mass says "No, I was here first!" and pushes you out until you get somewhere that can support you. Don't remember ever reading anything quite like that. But yeah, what you said makes sense too.

This is why you should never think about super powers work unless they're King Crimson.

Veelk

Banned
I actually meant in the sense of the classic "But what if I unphaze in a wall!" conundrum. Because if you suddenly unphase in a wall, then you don't instantly replace the mass there. If you do, what happens to it? I like the logic here that, the mass says "No, I was here first!" and pushes you out until you get somewhere that can support you. Don't remember ever reading anything quite like that. But yeah, what you said makes sense too.

This is why you should never think about super powers work unless they're King Crimson.

Well, the problem with that is that the air is a form of mass too. It's just gaseous instead of solid. By that logic, Tintin should be propelled up until he finds a vacuum in space....

but then again, you could say that it might have to do with density. Maybe solid mass like the ground can push Tintin's body out, but air doesn't have the density to accomplish that because it's a gas.

....what would happen if he phased in water?

Edit: But for the record, I agree with what your saying too. It's a unique explanation for how his powers work, and I prefer that over no explanation.

Meffer

In the end it doesn't matter, his quirk is interesting and fun to see. That goes for all the quirks. They're not realistic, they follow their own rules for better or for worse of the user.

TheFlow

Banned
In the end it doesn't matter, his quirk is interesting and fun to see. That goes for all the quirks. They're not realistic, they follow their own rules for better or for worse of the user.

pretty much. The creator of MHA is not a scientist or anything. Just a creative writer/drawer.

stop overthinking it and enjoy the crazy characters/powers

FlowersisBritish

Hey, no shame! There is a section of every fandom that overthinks everything all the time and that happens to be their mode of fun. Just check out any DeathBattle vid, sometimes its fun to think about the science and limits of this kind of stuff.

caliph95

You probably shouldn't think about King Crimson as well

cntr

Banned
I suspect that if you had a version of a phasing quirk that didn't have safeguards like Mirio's, you...probably wouldn't survive childhood.

Top Bottom