• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Veelk

Banned
Has Ochako been taken out? I don't see her among the downed bodies, but she's not in the shot showing the ones still standing either.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Funny thing is, Class 1A really could've used Bakugou for this fight.

Chances are he'd like hit a teammate with his explosions just to try to get Tintin when he is temporarily unphased.

You just know Bakugou is going to make fun of them for being unable to beat him "Fucking nerd couldn't even beat one person together"

Trojita

I didn't have a lot of time to look it over earlier, but now that I have I noticed that Tin tin wrapped Jirou's earjacks around her and Kaminari.

Ouch

cntr

Banned
That's the thing, though, it's clearly being built up, but...All Might's a shit teacher, and it's been implied that Deku and the rest of the class is the first time he's ever tried to teach anybody anything.

So Mirio's mentor has gotta be someone else.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I mean, they built up (well... not really actually) the reveal that All Might was the man to let the fight go on. This feels kind of the same. And should be mentioned, an internship is pretty different from teaching someone. Especially at a school.

You just know Bakugou is going to make fun of them for being unable to beat him "Fucking nerd couldn't even beat one person together"

I want someone to go, "Man Baku, the third years kicked Deku's ass." and Baku to go, "So. It's not that hard." And then a deadpan to all of our souls.

cntr

Banned
I guess, but I'unno. There's other things going against it, like All Might's depression before Chapter 1. And Mirio didn't even get One for All.

Plus since we've been on a worldbuilding binge lately, why not take the chance to set up the unnamed top hero?

Trojita

It could be the number 3 hero or someone else entirely.

Tin tin's mentor could also have been Fourth Kind or Edgeshot.

To job your memories, Fourth Kind is the pro hero that picked Kaminari and Tetsutetsu for the work experience program after the sports festival. His quirk grants him four arms. He specializes in close quarters combat.

Edgeshot is the no.5 hero, no.4 now I guess. He can manipulate the thinness of his body and stretch his limbs. He uses this quirk to flatten and twist himself into a pointed string to pierce an opponent.

Where the hell are you guys getting TinTin from? Anyways, I'm a fan of phasing powers; Ever since Tobi from Naruto displayed it I always thought it was cool.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where the hell are you guys getting TinTin from? Anyways, I'm a fan of phasing powers; Ever since Tobi from Naruto displayed it I always thought it was cool.

Famous classic Belgian comic:
Tintin_and_Snowy.png

It's a pretty obvious homage.

upandaway

I'm also not sure if it was the translation or the source but this part:

oxPjEaK.jpg

made it sound like there's some history with mirio and his quirk, like some bad event or something.

When you think about it that quirk is super frightening if you can't control it well enough - like falling through the floor endlessly or materializing while something is inside you. And heck he was losing his clothes even in this chapter so he still can't control it perfectly (though they would've been destroyed if he kept them on anyway). Could see something like that being talked about later for sure

Veelk

Banned
I'm also not sure if it was the translation or the source but this part:

oxPjEaK.jpg

made it sound like there's some history with mirio and his quirk, like some bad event or something.

When you think about it that quirk is super frightening if you can't control it well enough - like falling through the floor endlessly or materializing while something is inside you. And heck he was losing his clothes even in this chapter so he still can't control it perfectly (though they would've been destroyed if he kept them on anyway). Could see something like that being talked about later for sure

Not-Sasuke also warned Tintin to not go so hard that they'll give up being heroes because of him.

Idk, I am getting some underlying sinister vibes from Tintin here, based on how people react to him.

And kinda his own actions too. "Oh, yeah kids, I totally get you. Some big 3 jackasses show up and are too caught up in their quirky humor to explain an internship program to you straightforwardly. You must be confused. So how about instead we just go to the gym where I beat the shit out of all of you instead?"

Even Eraserhead kind of gave him a suspicious look before agreeing.

cntr

Banned
I bet Mirio and Amakiji did badly in the Sports Festival because they were disqualified for nudity and were too shy to function in front of that audience, respectively.

Haly

What does Earphone jack girl even plan to do against him? It's so silly seeing her "serious" face.

Haly

I guess it's like Dhalsim extending his arms. Sure, you get reach, but your arms are part of your hitbox. I would never extend my body parts against an unknown quirk unless I could regenerate them.

Jarmel

Banned
My feelings are that Tin Tin was obviously the protege and was going to get OFA until he failed some sort of emotional/psychological test. He did something that wasn't heroic or All Might did some sort of fakeout thing on him and he failed. Either way All Might rejects him right before the Sports Festival and Tin Tin is too depressed to give a shit and does bad as a result.

Tin Tin's current power makes him damn near unstoppable when dealing with most people and with OFA, he would be flat out broken. Imagine a hero that could rush you through your own attack and punch you so hard you land a mile away. Add on top things like the speed and increased durability. That means there's something really off mentally with Tin Tin, especially when you see he appears to be the 'only' normal person of the Big 3.

cntr

Banned
Whatever's wrong with Tintin, it must be pretty serious. Like, he's excessively violent, maybe? Not a trait you want in a user of One for All.

FlowersisBritish

Here's the thing about regeneration. You (that's right, you) might have the amazing ability of regeneration and you don't even know it. Earphone girl might be able to regenerate her ears or plug-in traditional headphone jacks and they just melt into her anatomy or something, and you (yes, you) might have amazing regeneration on par with Wolverine. A life of superheroing could be on the horizon and you don't even know it. So how do you find out about your amazing skill?

Gotta chop a limb off. No other way to find out. Just got a grab a cleaver, set your hand down, and take the risk. That's the problem with regeneration, everyone wants it no one wants to test it.

cntr

Banned
It might be a scanlation issue, but I think Mirio actually tore off Jirou's jacks at the end there.

So they probably grow back.

Jarmel

Banned
Whatever's wrong with Tintin, it must be pretty serious. Like, he's excessively violent, maybe? Not a trait you want in a user of One for All.
No clue, maybe either pride or jealousy. Baku already fills the violent quota in spades.

All Might has always been impressed with Deku's heroic spirit so I imagine there was something off with Tintin that possibly made All Might intentionally pick someone powerless like Deku.

Haly

Maybe TinTin is like Bakugo and just not very heroic.

FlowersisBritish

Eh i don't think it will ge violence. Dont get me wrong, i like the idea, but i think the issue is hes too much of a show off or something. I think they said the student got "frustrated" so i think Tintin gloaded that "ypu can't hit me haha" for like hours and the student just said fuck it! (side note: hes probs part of villains alliance and im thinking one of the two plague guys) We're all looking for negative traits, but maybe the reason he wasn't chosen is simply because hes too much like All Might, that hes not different enough in both strenghts and faults.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd actually like if the Mirio was a cocky egotistical shit and told All Might to fuck off with One For All. Maybe he even found out about his weakened state and was unimpressed or disenchanted by the fact. I don't expect this but I think it would be a more interesting take that he turned down All Might or something along those lines instead of having some mundane obvious character flaw that made him unworthy of carrying One For All.

Trojita

My feelings are that Tin Tin was obviously the protege and was going to get OFA until he failed some sort of emotional/psychological test. He did something that wasn't heroic or All Might did some sort of fakeout thing on him and he failed. Either way All Might rejects him right before the Sports Festival and Tin Tin is too depressed to give a shit and does bad as a result.

Tin Tin's current power makes him damn near unstoppable when dealing with most people and with OFA, he would be flat out broken. Imagine a hero that could rush you through your own attack and punch you so hard you land a mile away. Add on top things like the speed and increased durability. That means there's something really off mentally with Tin Tin, especially when you see he appears to be the 'only' normal person of the Big 3.

He'd be a huge public liability if they chose the wrong person for OfA. He would have had the strength and defense of All Might and in case he goes rogue you might not even be able to hit him, to even attempt to incapacitate.

Jarmel

Banned
I'd actually like if the Mirio was a cocky egotistical shit and told All Might to fuck off with One For All. Maybe he even found out about his weakened state and was unimpressed or disenchanted by the fact. I don't expect this but I think it would be a more interesting take that he turned down All Might or something along those lines instead of having some mundane obvious character flaw that made him unworthy of carrying One For All.

I really don't like this because it makes Deku out to be the backup choice.

One of the major things with All Might picking Deku is that Deku knew what it was like being helpless and worthless and it was that sense of powerlessness that forged his heroic qualities. Having someone else be good enough before Deku would undercut Deku's character to a large extent.

Veelk

Banned

One of the major things with All Might picking Deku is that Deku knew what it was like being helpless and worthless and it was that sense of powerlessness that forged his heroic qualities. Having someone else be good enough before Deku would undercut Deku's character to a large extent.

I don't think so. The important thing is that Deku is the right choice, not the first choice. And we know that All Might isn't infallible like Deku likes to believe. He was wrong about Deku in the first place, and even the first chapter had him admitting he was wrong about heroism in general. It's no discredit to Deku if All Might was wrong before that as well.

cntr

Banned
All Might decided to make Deku his successor pretty quickly, so I'd bet on All Might not approaching Mirio immediately, but seeing enough from afar to go "Okay, no, that would be a bad idea.".

HStallion

Deku seems to be the back up/secondary choice anyway until we know more about the situation with Mirio.

Haly

I prefer it this way. It just makes All Might seem more human, if he made a mistake with his first choice before finding/happening upon Deku.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, All Might had to have seriously considered others (and been wrong) in the decade between fighting All for One and meeting Deku.

As Veelk said, Deku's great because he's the right choice, not the first choice.

Jarmel

Banned
I prefer it this way. It just makes All Might seem more human, if he recanted his first choice before finding/happening upon Deku.
There's a difference between going back on his first choice and Tintin flat out rejecting him. The later would imply that Tintin was good enough to pass all of All Might's qualifications and the former being that he didn't.

It would also be different if Tintin was under active consideration when All Might chose Deku instead.

Edit: It's also worth pointing out that Tintin is likely to be an asshole to some extent anyway just by virtue of the other two of the Big 3 have some weird personality flaw.

cntr

Banned
Hmm... yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'd bet on All Might being the one to reject Mirio, anyway. There's clearly something "off" about him.

Tintin's quirk gives him carte-blanche to get naked in public.
Using quirks in public is illegal, though! And probably super illegal for Mirio.

FlowersisBritish

There's a difference between going back on his first choice and Tintin flat out rejecting him. The later would imply that Tintin was good enough to pass all of All Might's qualifications and the former being that he didn't.

It would also be different if Tintin was under active consideration when All Might chose Deku instead.

Pretty much. I really think All Might didn't chose him because he was too much like himself and wanted something different because All Might is also a bit of a self-loathing kinda guy. Also goes really nicely with the whole "Try to be different then your teachers, new generation" thing the manga is pushing.

HStallion

I just get a bit bored by the,"You aren't worthy because you're a dick/violent/whatever" trope that pops up so much in these stories. Not saying I expect my theory either but still.

Trojita

Hmm... yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'd bet on All Might being the one to reject Mirio, anyway. There's clearly something "off" about him.

Using quirks in public is illegal, though! And probably super illegal for Mirio.

Not if he is on official Pro duty.

cntr

Banned
I mean, if you're giving someone a power that can turn a person into giblets with a single punch, you want to choose someone with restraint.

Not if he is on official Pro duty.
Bets on him being regularly arrested for public indecency.

Top Bottom