• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Welp, dudes dead. Did not see that coming, though, like everyone else, didn't see the deal going south.

I knew and liked where this was going as soon as the yakuza leader said that Shigaraki needs a plan. They are such a poorly put together group that's frankly scrub tier.

Ha! Glad everyone's coming around to my line of thinking on the Villian's Alliance! Like the introduction of the Yakuza in this, adds a neat little power struggle that Shigaraki will overcome and finally prove he can do something successful.

Also Toga reminds me of Roberto

<3 <3 <3

Never enough Toga in a chapter.

cntr

Banned
I like the visual touch that since Deku got his new non-lame costume when he started his journey becoming a proper hero with Gran Torino, so Shigaraki got his new non-lame costume right around when he begins his journey to being a real villain.

Boy I liked that chapter a lot. Magna gettin a two-panel flashback outta nowhere for no reason was pretty deathflaggy tho.

Meh, i liked it, a little bit of depth in his farewell. If he was just blown up it'sd have been quite meh because we didn't knew much about him.

No chance they were all twice's clones right?

Man, that chapter was brutal.

The manga hasn't shied away from harshness or brutality before (Stain's killing of the Noumu comes to mind) but this chapter just kinda hammered it in really hard. We haven't seen two people get merc'd like that on screen and both deaths were not exactly clean. One dude's top half exploded and the other disintegrated into pieces.

I think this chapter only did good things for both sides of the conflict. Obviously Overhaul and his group come out looking like a fucking real danger because we haven't seen that quick and fast brutality in this manga before, and his down-talking of the VA lends him an air of legitimacy. But I'd also argue that Shigaraki has seemed to mature quite a lot so that even though the VA has chumped it up a bunch in this particular instance he didn't get heated and showed that his power (which we've only gotten indications of it's strength) ain't nothing to fuck with. And past that he also didn't press the attack or let his emotions about Magne's death get the better of him in a shit situation.

Also, was I blind or was Warp Guy not there?

Explains why it went so badly, Warp Guy is the real MVP.

Lunar15

Everything is pretty symmetrical. Both All Might and All for One are "gone", so it's a race for the top for both. At the same time, the heroes are looking for experience through internships, while the villains are potentially getting experience through the old Yakuza. Overhaul = Tintin, for the most part.

Everything is pretty symmetrical. Both All Might and All for One are "gone", so it's a race for the top for both. At the same time, the heroes are looking for experience through internships, while the villains are potentially getting experience through the old Yakuza. Overhaul = Tintin, for the most part.
I was just thinking this. It's a fairly strong contrast to a lot of Shonen where the villain is structured more as a fixed obstacle for the hero to level up and overcome. Here, they're opposing forces, closer to equals in stature, and we get to see the villains develop too. Very nice.

cLOUDo

This chapter was amazing, the best so far imo

Shigaraki is so shit as final boss, i suppose the autor tries to make him grown up as the same way Deku does, but man he is so awful

#TeamOverhaul

Lunar15

I like shiragaki because he's literally the shounen model applied to a villain. I can't say if I've ever really seen that outside of rival characters. He's starting out just as weak, if not more weak than the main character, but growing through the guidance of One for All.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I like shiragaki because he's literally the shounen model applied to a villain. I can't say if I've ever really seen that outside of rival characters. He's starting out just as weak, if not more weak than the main character, but growing through the guidance of One for All.

He's got a power to turn people to fucking ash.

Veelk

Banned
Thanks for the music on the last page, I didn't get a chance to say so until now. You Say Run is really great and the other songs are nice as well.

I really like Overhaul. His powers and bird mask are creepy as fuck and I like how his goon squad emulates that. And I think the only reason we see Shiragaki struggling so hard is that we don't see how the are relative underdogs in a world full of really powerful guys. We follow Deku around all the time, so we are constantly faced with his superiors since he's...you know, a kid. I think there is an expectation for Shiragaki to be better than he actually is in a position to be.

Either way, I look forward to seeing them both grow. I wonder if Shiragaki's arc will include by usurping the underworld itself.

Trojita

Deku can punch out a mechanical robot 300 times his size. This series isn't about power, but about influence.

Which happened when he couldn't control his power and would break his whole arm.

What is Shigaraki's power's downside?

Lunar15

Which happened when he couldn't control his power and would break his whole arm.

What is Shigaraki's power's downside?

He likely killed his parents and can't touch anyone. (This is probably why he hates hero society)

Either way, my point is that Shiragaki is weak in terms of what he needs to do. Sure, he can turn a person to ash, but that's not really going accomplish his goal. Deku being the strongest guy in UA isn't really going to accomplish his either. It's about Deku's capacity for heroism vs Shiragaki's capacity for evil. They both are maturing.

The problem with shigaraki is that his power is too all or nothing, so that kinda forces the probable final battle to be a One hit KO for both sides. AfO was different, it gave some space for a proper fight.

Lunar15

The problem with shigaraki is that his power is too all or nothing, so that kinda forces the probable final battle to be a One hit KO for both sides. AfO was different, it gave some space for a proper fight.

The final battle is probably not Shiragaki v. Deku. It's likely Deku vs either AfO or someone who gets AfO's powers.

Trojita

Why doesn't Tomura just wear a glove that covers 1 or 2 fingers?

The guy is too dumb to ask All For One to take away his shitty power, that AfO likely forced on him, and ask for some OP Powers instead?

caliph95

Why doesn't Tomura just wear a glove that covers 1 or 2 fingers?

The guy is too dumb to ask All For One to take away his shitty power, that AfO likely forced on him, and ask for some OP Powers instead?

All for one was gathering powers for Tomura i'm guessing whatever plans he had was cut short and he is hoping tomura would be capable on his own in pissing off all might provided he didn't plan on getting caught

Also #teamoverhaul i was always worried that VA is going to be villains for the future, while Tomura is improving it's hard to take him serious at times considering the kids at their current level already give them trouble and they haven't done anything impressive besides Bakugo for like a day.

Having actual villains is nice.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One thing I'm wondering if we will ever see is Quirks that are just too dangerous or too much to allow in public. Like an Akira level quirk user who is basically a walking atomic bomb and can't be trusted not to nuke an entire city when they have a bad day. Could add an interesting element to things if the Heroes were basically jailing people who were too dangerous to let walk around because their quirk was far too OP. Not a very original idea mind you but I always like that sort of thing.

Veelk

Banned
All for one was gathering powers for Tomura i'm guessing whatever plans he had was cut short and he is hoping tomura would be capable on his own in pissing off all might provided he didn't plan on getting caught

Also #teamoverhaul i was always worried that VA is going to be villains for the future, while Tomura is improving it's hard to take him serious at times considering the kids at their current level already give them trouble and they haven't done anything impressive besides Bakugo for like a day.

Having actual villains is nice.

In fairness, if their goal was to make destruction, they could do that pretty easily. But that would attract an equal response from heroes. It's less that the villains are weak and more that they are trying to permanently dismantle society in a world where society is safeguarded by some seriously powerful people. It's just straight up not an easy thing to do.

One thing I'm wondering if we will ever see is Quirks that are just too dangerous or too much to allow in public. Like an Akira level quirk user who is basically a walking atomic bomb and can't be trusted not to nuke an entire city when they have a bad day. Could add an interesting element to things if the Heroes were basically jailing people who were too dangerous to let walk around because their quirk was far too OP. Not a very original idea mind you but I always like that sort of thing.

I'm sure there's atleast one out there, but I like that Horikoshi is doing work to make sure they establish a functional society with quirks before they bring out the doomsday quirks.

cntr

Banned
... isn't it really obvious that Shigaraki is going to get All for One?

SalvaPot

That was a hype episode, I was wondering how we would get to know what the Villain Alliance was up to without getting Deku involved. Having their own arc running at the same time as Deku's semester is a brilliant way to make it happen.

cntr

Banned
Horikoshi's sketch for Volume 12:
C3t-NnzVMAA7p-r.jpg:large
...also, he posted this...thing.

cntr

Banned
A fan made it and sent it to Horikoshi.

so it might've been DTL anyway

edit: also it's either a really small pillow or that's a huge statue of Iron Man

Veelk

Banned
Are the lightnovels getting translated? Someone mentioned their just day to day activities that Class 1-A does, but I'd actually be interested in that.

I think Horikoshi pulled off a similar sort of thing to Overwatch, where he gives JUST enough info to about his characters to make them interesting and now I'm obsessed about finding out little details about them. Stuff like Tsuyu's life before UA was great and I want to see more.

cntr

Banned
Are the lightnovels getting translated? Someone mentioned their just day to day activities that Class 1-A does, but I'd actually be interested in that.
Not yet. Wait for a fan-translation group or Viz to pick it up. But the former isn't going to happen, so...official release it is. Which isn't super unlikely anymore!

Top Bottom