• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I'm starting to see this more and more as a detriment. Not a large one, but I do wish they'd have a period of "sit and smell the roses sort of thing". It'd be cool to have one more conversation with Mirio before Overhaul arrived or something.

More broadly, I just want to learn more about the tertiary characters. We already don't get too much time with Class A's other classmates. Giving the series a little bit of breathing room to develop them further would be nice.

I wouldn't mind this either, but truth be told, I find MHA kinda slow believe it or not. Not on the arc to arc basis, those move at lightning pace. But in the sense overall progression isn't usually that much at the end of arcs. I think the fast nature of the arcs kind of hides how slow the series is overall. Still, I'm looking forward to this next arc because I always enjoy the villian's side a lot more than the hero side.

Veelk

Banned
I wouldn't mind this either, but truth be told, I find MHA kinda slow believe it or not. Not on the arc to arc basis, those move at lightning pace. But in the sense overall progression isn't usually that much at the end of arcs. I think the fast nature of the arcs kind of hides how slow the series is overall. Still, I'm looking forward to this next arc because I always enjoy the villian's side a lot more than the hero side.

I feel that's a necessary sacrifice for the arcs being as fast as they are. I mean, if they made the kind of progress we usually see for arcs, we'd be atleast halfway through the series at chapter 100. I'm guessing Horikoshi wants to make this series a long runner, like Naruto, OP and the rest are, so the advancement of the plot is less substantial on an arc by arc basis.

But I wouldn't mind it taking longer on an character exploration basis. There are so many intriguing characters in this series, but we're always too busy. It makes me feel like an overworked dad that never gets to see his kids. :(

Ascheroth

I was saying that as far back as that one chapter where the crew went shopping only for Deku to immediately run into Shigaraki.
I mean I like how brisk the manga moves but at the same time I also want some chill chapters with the crew hanging out and doing mundane stuff (like the room chapters) because they're all cool characters. Gahh.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow, that's a pretty dramatically different angle on it. Also a very interesting one. Nighteye playing the long game.

Yeah

mMEhmvC.png

I mean, I definitely agree that the series would strongly benefit from stopping and smelling the roses more often. The dorm arc was wonderful for just that reason. But at the same time, the ludicrous breakneck pace they move from arc to arc is one of the strongest aspects of the plotting; there's not a single wasted moment.

There's definitely a middle ground to be had, but I'd prefer this to the usual Shonen "let's spend 15+ chapters on a single fight in a single arc" pacing that's generally already started to crop up by now.

(I'd also like to use this opportunity to start lobbying for that light novel to be translated since that seems to be basically exactly the kind of school life stuff that we're all asking for, lol).

Okay, yeah, that's... very interesting, actually. I can't think of another example of a mentor-mentee relationship like that. Usually the "make them give up" stuff is solely related to whether or not to take the mentee on.

Yeah, after reading it again I kinda dislike this chapter.

I normally am a huge fan of the pacing of MHA because it does away with a lot of issues shonen have but...within one chapter we had him get hired, go out on patrol and immediately run into the arc's big bad. It just...for once, it felt rushed to me and I would've liked a lot more room to breathe at all this. Having him go back to the dorms and have everybody talk about interning, coming for work the first day and having more interactions with Nighteye, Tintin-ass-fucking-motherfucker and Bubble Girl.

cntr

Banned
I really do think that this chapter was simplified, because it's MHA usually isn't so abrupt. The chapters are fast, but they usually have better flow to them. I'd be more critical of the chapter if it wasn't clearly because of these production problems, since it can't be a coincidence that the chapter would have all these issues at the same time, right?

I'll take fast pacing over slow any day, but yeah this chapter is definitely getting redone.
I see where you're coming from, but I also kind of disagree? The series isn't really about the "plot" in the way something like One Piece or Naruto is, it's about the characters.

I mean, just look at Todoroki. His issues were built-up, addressed, and solved in the first fifty chapters! Compare that to someone like Sasuke, who took the entire 15 year run of Naruto to get where Todoroki is now. Or look at Deku's progression from the beginning of the series up to the Stain arc. Compare that to, say, Tsuna from Katekyo Hitman Reborn, who effectively remained the equivalent of Chapter 1 Deku for the entire run of his series. Even Sena from Eyeshield 21 took considerably longer to reach the same point.

Todoroki and Deku still have issues to solve, sure, but they're different issues from what they started with. So yeah, the plot of the series moves pretty slowly. But by the metric of character development, which is what the story is about, it's fast. It's like the inverse of something like One Piece.

SalvaPot

I read some info that Horikoshi was injured and is currently hospitalized (Nothing serious) and that is why we got a rough entry this week, haven't find any confirmation on this (Or rather, too lazy to google it myself).

hey SalvaPot, if you want to hold another contest for the first post, "Is the Overhaul arc going to be longer than the Sports Festival arc?" would be pretty good

I am up for that. Its been a while since I have updated the OP, so you everyone can bet.

Is the Overhaul arc going to be longer than the Sports Festival arc?

Yes or No.

Tiebreaker: Number of episodes for this arc, the closest gets to pick best boy and best girl and any extra feature they want to add to the OP.

cntr

Banned
I read some info that Horikoshi was injured and is currently hospitalized (Nothing serious) and that is why we got a rough entry this week, haven't find any confirmation on this (Or rather, too lazy to google it myself).
whoa, hope that's just a rumor.
we had those comfy chapters of going through everyone's rooms in the new building.
i love that
yeah, that was really nice! hope we get more of that, like as a between-arcs thing at least

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They are also using this time to perhaps time skip Bakugou and Todoroki's remedial training.

Sorry DTL

cntr

Banned
Bakugou and Todoroki will have to be taking remedial training until the middle of the third term, so I wouldn't expect to see too much of them for a few arcs

FlowersisBritish

For the poll, how are we defining the Overhaul arc? One could argue that it's been going since we met the guy.

I'd say since the fight with the Villian's alliance. That's what set up who he is, and the fact he has a plan that will be the crux of the arc. (maybe when Tintin shows up since he's clearly going to be super important too?)

cntr

Banned
I'd count it from when Mirio shows up, he and Overhaul are roughly parallel for Deku and Shigaraki, so it's clearly part of the same arc

Grexeno

Like he says that about most characters

and then Deku gets the internship, goes out for his first time, and runs into the badguy in the space of a chapter.

FlowersisBritish

I can live with a lack of Ashido because I do not care about Ashido until she asks out Bakugo and we can finally begin the dumb slice of life manga we all secretly want MHA to be.
How has no girl asked out Baku yet? That dude has to be canonically hot as all hell. Is it just a Japanese thing to have ridiculously low libidos?

cntr

Banned
nobody really likes Bakugou that much atm, other than Kirishima

Kaminari did ask Ochako out way back at the beginning of the series. But she ignored him to go talk with Deku, so

also, real-life Japan does literally have a problem with people not wanting to bone

I can live with a lack of Ashido because I do not care about Ashido until she asks out Bakugo and we can finally begin the dumb slice of life manga we all secretly want MHA to be.
How has no girl asked out Baku yet? That dude has to be canonically hot as all hell. Is it just a Japanese thing to have ridiculously low libidos?

It's because he's an abrasive dick, which is actually not all that popular. I'd imagine he gets more attention from people who only know him from a distance. Kirishmia is basically the only person in the class who actually likes him other than maybe Deku; the rest seem to have varying levels of grudging respect, mostly for his sheer ability. Very little fondness for him as a person.

Top Bottom